[Today at 02:23:08 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:22:08 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What current players will have the most year to year improvement in the coming season?

O-Max
Joplin
Oso
Stevie
Kam
Kolek
EE

Author Topic: Poll:Year to Year Improvement  (Read 7644 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Poll:Year to Year Improvement
« on: April 16, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »
Which current roster players will have the most year to year improvement in the coming season.

I did not include Keeyan  as he sat the year , so there is no collegiate baseline .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jfp61

• All American
Re: Poll:Year to Year Improvement
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 12:20:16 PM »
It has to be EE or Joplin. Their production was at the floor. Everyone else is expected to contribute in some capacity.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 12:37:33 PM »
Really hoping it's Oso. So many of the pieces there, and a natural shooting stroke (judging from FTs) that could transform his game.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 04:28:40 PM »
I voted O-max, because he was the only birght spot against UNC.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 05:13:45 PM »
I voted O-max, because he was the only birght spot against UNC.

Same here. Not just his play in that game. His effort (especially on D) never wavered, when so many had mailed it in. Blowout certain, OMax’s arms were still flailing wide, feet moving quickly laterally on D. I still like Joplin and Oso to make big strides, but IMO Omax will really Prosper next year! 😉

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 09:25:18 AM »
Voted O-Max with Joplin and Kolek as runners up.  O-Max has the highest ceiling of any player on the roster and he was showing a nice uptrend the back half of last season. 

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 01:00:07 PM »
Think they all do... no real duds there.  OF those 7, EE and TK look hardest pressed to make any big leap forward.  EE in Jr. year if he’s still here.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 07:11:54 AM »
I look for Kam to move from complementary scorer to "go to" guy... and I also look for him to learn how to pass and create for others when he gets double teamed.  By the 2nd time through the BEAST, he'll be averaging 18+ and he'll be seeing a lot of double teams. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 07:42:24 AM »
noble

I agree that the returning guys all have upside potential. I am not sure who will have a breakout year, but fairly certain we will see nice improvement across the board. I said in an early post that all of the returning guys are basketball players and that is half of the battle. You usually see big upticks with guys that are learning to become basketball players instead of just being an athlete and I think our guys will work on refining their games during the offseason. Also, it would be nice to see a guy or two have a growth spurt or add some muscle.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 08:02:46 AM »
noble

I agree that the returning guys all have upside potential. I am not sure who will have a breakout year, but fairly certain we will see nice improvement across the board. I said in an early post that all of the returning guys are basketball players and that is half of the battle. You usually see big upticks with guys that are learning to become basketball players instead of just being an athlete and I think our guys will work on refining their games during the offseason. Also, it would be nice to see a guy or two have a growth spurt or add some muscle.

Jumping in here to add to the last point goose makes here.  Really hope to see a noticeable difference in strength from the guys coming back.  Less beanpoles and more dudes
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 08:08:04 AM »
I look for Kam to move from complementary scorer to "go to" guy... and I also look for him to learn how to pass and create for others when he gets double teamed.  By the 2nd time through the BEAST, he'll be averaging 18+ and he'll be seeing a lot of double teams.

Im a big Kam guy and expect a nice jump from him.

But 18+ per game over a full half the BE schedule is a bit of a leap.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 08:29:36 AM »

I'm not sure. I love me some Kam but he strikes me as a high floor, low ceiling type guy. I think we will love him while he is here but he will always be the Robin, never the Batman.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 08:31:36 AM »
I'm not sure. I love me some Kam but he strikes me as a high floor, low ceiling type guy. I think we will love him while he is here but he will always be the Robin, never the Batman.

I agree with this completely. He seems to me to be the guy you can ride when he is hot, but I don't think he is great at creating either for himself or others.

I think Mitchell has the higher ceiling frankly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mug644

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 08:33:02 AM »
I said Stevie, for two reasons. First, things seemed to start clicking for him towards the end of the season, in a positive way. Second, with Darryl gone, and no sense that Shaka will bring another experienced guard, a role and playing time may open for Stevie.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 09:02:11 AM »

If Justin goes, it's hard to see this team having any real go-to guy -- the guy who takes over most games when necessary.

I think Kam can become A go-to guy. That's as opposed to THE go-to guy. I can see there being games where he gets hot and/or has a matchup advantage, and Shaka rides it. I also can see there being games where he simply doesn't have it; in such circumstances this past season, we saw that Shaka wasn't afraid to bench even his favorites like Morsell and Kolek.

So I guess I somewhat agree with you and with WarriorFan -- I think he very well might be the go-to guy (or Batman) on some occasions but also will be "just a guy" (or Robin) on many others.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2022, 09:40:56 AM »
If Justin goes, it's hard to see this team having any real go-to guy -- the guy who takes over most games when necessary.

I think Kam can become A go-to guy. That's as opposed to THE go-to guy. I can see there being games where he gets hot and/or has a matchup advantage, and Shaka rides it. I also can see there being games where he simply doesn't have it; in such circumstances this past season, we saw that Shaka wasn't afraid to bench even his favorites like Morsell and Kolek.

So I guess I somewhat agree with you and with WarriorFan -- I think he very well might be the go-to guy (or Batman) on some occasions but also will be "just a guy" (or Robin) on many others.
Well, considering JL was  SOTG only 7 times out of 19, did we really have a consistent go to guy last year?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 09:55:17 AM »
I think OMP transitions from Jamil's body and Juan's talent to Jamil's talent with Juan's motor and heart.    I think we are talking about OMP and the league a year from now.

I would like to think we are talking about the Big East trying to keep up with the Joneses, but I think that is a year away.

I think Stevie makes a significant jump.
I think Wrightsil keep Joplin coming off the bench.

I think we see a deeper rotation all season long.   Realistically, MU was playing 8 at the end if the year.  Neither Greg nor Kam were hitting.   Joplin was 3 minute cameos.   Stevie and OMP were on the upswing.

I am more optimistic than I was a year ago.  Then again, Shaka's second year at Texas was lousy.    Maybe the lack of upperclassmen is too much to overcome.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2022, 11:19:47 AM »
I think OMP transitions from Jamil's body and Juan's talent to Jamil's talent with Juan's motor and heart.    I think we are talking about OMP and the league a year from now.

Bring out the blender. No, but I think OMP makes the biggest jump next year. He showed a lot of potential last year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 11:24:08 AM »

I think thats a really good assumption/prediction for Kam.

Gonna be a fun player throughout his time here and will continue to get better while being a microwave scorer. But i expect him to be more of a consistent 2/3rd option that can average 14 ppg as a realistic peak.

Think we will have better all around scorers and players each of his seasons here that lead the team
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2022, 11:41:05 AM »
Went with Stevie.  Think he will end up being a very good four year player for us. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2022, 02:15:57 PM »
I voted Jop.  I think he'll eventually emerge as our leading scorer, but it may not be next season.  However, even if he improves enough to where he's playing 20 minutes a game next season, that may be enough to qualify as the biggest improvement on the team with his volume shooting and scoring increase.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2022, 02:44:34 PM »
I voted OMax.

Plain and simple he will be on the court the most.  At his age he is still kinda growing into his body but Shaka made it clear he always guards the other teams best player and he already came a long way offensively. I know for sure he will get a ton of minutes.

As far as the rest, I have no clue how much they will actually play. Oso could be a two headed monster with Washington or another big. Joplin is going to be really good, but so will Gold. Will Gold play the 5 or take minutes from the other 4's?

So many questions revolve around every position except OMax.
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2023, 06:20:03 PM »

Went back and found where I first said, well, what I said.      Feeling pretty good about this one.     April 18,  2022
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2023, 06:41:06 PM »
Went back and found where I first said, well, what I said.      Feeling pretty good about this one.     April 18,  2022

Don't injure your shoulder patting yourself on the back, tower!

Seriously, that was a great call - obviously. Well done.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2023, 07:57:46 PM »

Hol up, can I also go back to when I said wojo was worthless a year into his coaching?