[April 30, 2024, 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 91980 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #500 on: August 21, 2022, 08:55:00 PM »
Several points that help (a bit) to make sense of it:

• People meet and develop relationships on the internet all the time.
  • People Teo knew - including his own brother - vouched  for her.
  • They we’re only “boyfriend/girlfriend” for about a year. That doesn’t completely explain it, but she wasn’t his girlfriend “for years.”

But yes, he was surprisingly naive. I think MUBorrow’s post gives some fair insight into that.

I think these are fair points.  When you're talking three years I have sone incredulity but Teo may very well have been that naive.  The idea that T'eo created this narrative clearly looks implausible. 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #501 on: August 21, 2022, 09:22:42 PM »
House of the Dragon is going to be wild.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #502 on: August 21, 2022, 09:52:24 PM »
House of the Dragon is going to be wild.

I thought it was a really solid first ep. Hoping the show really delivers.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #503 on: August 21, 2022, 10:18:14 PM »

Agree. As usual, the sets and cinematography were outstanding.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #504 on: August 22, 2022, 07:23:10 AM »

Yep, definitely solid. I'm really looking forward to it. I came to GoT late so I never had to wait a week to watch a new episode (or months or years for the next season), so this will be a bit of a different experience. But it will be fun to be involved in the social aspect of the show instead of just watching it solo years after the fact.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #505 on: August 22, 2022, 07:32:06 AM »
Yeah I loved it. Kicked the sourness of the final season right out of my mouth.

Speaking of which, all episodes of GOT have been re-released in 4k. Going to have to go back and watch some old favorites.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #506 on: August 22, 2022, 08:36:37 AM »
House of the Dragon was a really solid start. Looking forward to the story, as well as how they go forward. Listening to the HBO podcasts, it sounds like this main conflict will play out over the course of one season. Will they dig into other Targaryean stories in other seasons so they are all related but self-contained like True Detective was, or will this just be a shorter duration show, or will we go from House of the Dragon to maybe House of the Wolf focusing on a season of old Starks, then House of the Lion looking at historical Lannisters, and so on? Curious what the long term plan is for Westeros.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #507 on: August 22, 2022, 09:18:17 AM »
House of the Dragon was a really solid start. Looking forward to the story, as well as how they go forward. Listening to the HBO podcasts, it sounds like this main conflict will play out over the course of one season. Will they dig into other Targaryean stories in other seasons so they are all related but self-contained like True Detective was, or will this just be a shorter duration show, or will we go from House of the Dragon to maybe House of the Wolf focusing on a season of old Starks, then House of the Lion looking at historical Lannisters, and so on? Curious what the long term plan is for Westeros.

I'd be surprised if the Targaryean realm was only a season and then other houses got similar treatment, only given how vaunted and larger than life the Targaryeans and their legacy were.

First episode was really good.  CGI on the aerial shots of Westeros kind of sucked, surprisingly, but otherwise it was a great jolt of excitement back into the franchise.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #508 on: August 22, 2022, 10:45:28 AM »
I'd be surprised if the Targaryean realm was only a season and then other houses got similar treatment, only given how vaunted and larger than life the Targaryeans and their legacy were.

First episode was really good.  CGI on the aerial shots of Westeros kind of sucked, surprisingly, but otherwise it was a great jolt of excitement back into the franchise.

My favorite theory from the podcast...the miniature cityscape Viserys is working on when Alicent comes into his room is the models used in the intro for the original Game of Thrones series. Cool throwback, if so.

As far as the Targaryeans, it sounds like this season will span 29 years. That's why two different actresses are playing Rhaenyra (Milly Alcock and Emma D'Arcy) in this season. Unless they're changing the plans as they go, it sounds like this will be the only season with these characters. While they might go to other Targaryean storylines (Aegon the Conqueror, Dunk and Egg, the Mad King, etc) it seems like they will mix it up as they go.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #509 on: August 22, 2022, 09:25:54 PM »
I went in with some trepidation because I really wanted it to not suck … and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #510 on: August 24, 2022, 01:18:41 PM »
HotD ep. 1 was fine.  I've read the source material, so I know what to expect.  It'll probably be fine.

Honest opinion is that people will be disappointed with the show because it only focuses on the Targs.  Sure, they're the most exciting because of dragons... but there will be far less intrigue than in GOT... which is what made the show great.

The world is already built so there needs to be excellent story telling... and with GRRM having a major role I am hopeful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #511 on: August 24, 2022, 04:23:49 PM »
HotD ep. 1 was fine.  I've read the source material, so I know what to expect.  It'll probably be fine.

Honest opinion is that people will be disappointed with the show because it only focuses on the Targs.  Sure, they're the most exciting because of dragons... but there will be far less intrigue than in GOT... which is what made the show great.

The world is already built so there needs to be excellent story telling... and with GRRM having a major role I am hopeful.

Finish the books, you fat fůck.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #512 on: August 27, 2022, 08:52:17 AM »
For those with a NYT subscription, this piece serves as both a review of House of the Dragon episode 1 and a useful primer/reminder of who's who and how they all relate:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/21/arts/television/house-of-the-dragon-premiere-recap.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20220827&instance_id=70441&nl=the-morning&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=102561&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #513 on: August 27, 2022, 09:32:02 AM »
Love it. Episode four of the second season was the best one yet. It's been picked up for a third season too. There has been a spate of shows that did better than anticipated in their initial planned run that got extended that really fell out in the additional season (Flight Attendant's second season was bad, the final season of Who Killed Sara was dreadful). Only Murders has bucked that trend.

Just finished the first season of Barry last night. Man, did it get dark at the end.

Curious what you and Wades thought of Only Murders in the Building now that the second season ended. I thought the second half was good. I don’t think it hit the high bar the first season set, but was still really good overall.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #514 on: August 27, 2022, 09:36:20 AM »
Curious what you and Wades thought of Only Murders in the Building now that the second season ended. I thought the second half was good. I don’t think it hit the high bar the first season set, but was still really good overall.

I thought it was really good overall. I didn’t love the end of the season, but we’ll see how they turn it into season 3. That’ll really determine how good that ending was.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #515 on: August 27, 2022, 11:44:31 AM »
Just finished Season 2 of Tehran.  Incredible final episode after the plot kind of sputtered around mid season.  Don't get me wrong, it was always an entertaining and well done show, but there was a lot of "are you f-ing kidding me with that decision" from characters on a personal level.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #516 on: August 27, 2022, 01:08:47 PM »

Finished it as well. I thought it was still a ton of fun, as entertaining as the first season. I didn't mind the ending though I didn't like the final clue that allowed them to figure it out. Felt a little too much deus ex machina for me.

I really appreciate that they do a good job of sprinkling in a bunch of fake clues that the characters never notice but I think the audience is meant to notice. There were a couple of times I thought I had figured something out to only have it be a red herring.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #517 on: August 28, 2022, 12:03:05 PM »
I just finished S3E1 of The Boys. I'd love to see a behind the scenes look at the writers room on that show:  "We haven't drenched Hughie in blood and guts for a while...anybody got any creative ideas for a new way to explode a body?"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #518 on: August 28, 2022, 05:25:32 PM »
I just finished S3E1 of The Boys. I'd love to see a behind the scenes look at the writers room on that show:  "We haven't drenched Hughie in blood and guts for a while...anybody got any creative ideas for a new way to explode a body?"

I bet everybody in that series, from the director to the writers to the cast, has a blast making the episodes. My favorite current show.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #519 on: August 29, 2022, 07:50:50 AM »
I bet everybody in that series, from the director to the writers to the cast, has a blast making the episodes. My favorite current show.

Have you seen The Boys Presents: Diabolical? I stumbled across it by accident. It's a series of short animated episodes all written by different writers and done in different styles. It's also on Prime. I've watched the first two and laughed out loud several times.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #520 on: August 29, 2022, 08:22:23 AM »
Have you seen The Boys Presents: Diabolical? I stumbled across it by accident. It's a series of short animated episodes all written by different writers and done in different styles. It's also on Prime. I've watched the first two and laughed out loud several times.

I haven't. I saw it existed but I was skeptical of the "maybe trying to wring too much out of a great thing" deal. With your recommendation, I'll give it a try.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #521 on: August 29, 2022, 02:43:50 PM »
The Rehearsal. It's bananas. I was dumbfounded over and over.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #522 on: August 29, 2022, 03:27:41 PM »
I haven't. I saw it existed but I was skeptical of the "maybe trying to wring too much out of a great thing" deal. With your recommendation, I'll give it a try.

Saw a couple more. The first two are still may favorite, so maybe take the recommendation with a grain of salt. But the others are interesting too. I am always fascinated by related stories being told in wildly differing styles.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #523 on: August 29, 2022, 03:56:18 PM »

+1

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #524 on: August 29, 2022, 04:22:56 PM »

Ok, I just watched the trailer for that and I have absolutely no idea what in the hell it is. None. Intriguing.