[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 06:51:53 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Oldgym
[October 22, 2024, 05:29:19 PM]

Marquette Retiring Jim Chones Jersey by Nukem2
[October 22, 2024, 04:06:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 160590 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2024?
« Reply #1500 on: June 17, 2024, 04:00:13 PM »
So are we sure it was the boy?  Just weird the way they never checked.  And I could see mom wanting to claim it was the boy so that they didn't come back for the boy.  (Being intentionally ambiguous on spoilers here; also, not a book reader, and I guess it is answered there - although the series could deviate)

Moments later...the final line of the episode makes things clear.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1501 on: June 17, 2024, 09:08:03 PM »
Do people like "The Beekeeper" actually exist?  I may have to open up a slot on my payroll. 

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1502 on: June 17, 2024, 10:00:20 PM »
Moments later...the final line of the episode makes things clear.

Thanks- I heard that line and that is where I overthought it- thinking,”maybe she can’t trust anyone, and she is going to keep the survivors identity/gender secret (which o course she couldn’t in that environment!)”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1503 on: June 19, 2024, 12:20:29 PM »
So are we sure it was the boy?  Just weird the way they never checked.  And I could see mom wanting to claim it was the boy so that they didn't come back for the boy.  (Being intentionally ambiguous on spoilers here; also, not a book reader, and I guess it is answered there - although the series could deviate)

The book is VERY different.  There is a much larger Sophie's Choice aspect to it.  The children are slightly older as well.  The book version is FAR more brutal.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1504 on: June 20, 2024, 01:00:47 PM »
The book is VERY different.  There is a much larger Sophie's Choice aspect to it.  The children are slightly older as well.  The book version is FAR more brutal.

Listened to a podcast ("House of the Dragon") where they went into that  :o

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1505 on: June 23, 2024, 04:15:26 PM »
All caught up on The Boys (through ep 4). As usual, gory as hell, politically on the nose, and lots of fun.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1506 on: June 23, 2024, 09:27:55 PM »
Criston Cole the embodiment of failing upwards

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1507 on: June 28, 2024, 10:26:06 AM »
First episode of The Bear season 3 was absolutely stunning cinematography. Interesting choice to open a season and doesn’t really give much insight into how the rest of the season will look/feel/flow, but my god what a gorgeous set of sequences and soundtrack.  Hard not to feel emotional during multiple parts.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1508 on: June 28, 2024, 05:21:19 PM »
First episode of The Bear season 3 was absolutely stunning cinematography. Interesting choice to open a season and doesn’t really give much insight into how the rest of the season will look/feel/flow, but my god what a gorgeous set of sequences and soundtrack.  Hard not to feel emotional during multiple parts.

A very interesting way to recap the 1st 2 seasons and fill in the blanks of how we got to where we are. A lot that we knew, a lot we assumed, and a lot more.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1509 on: June 30, 2024, 10:56:01 AM »
REJOICE! Eric Dixon has been suspended!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1510 on: July 01, 2024, 09:05:49 AM »
Been rewatching Ted Lasso. That is flat out some of the best television ever produced. Just wonderfully done.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1511 on: July 01, 2024, 09:27:38 AM »
Been rewatching Ted Lasso. That is flat out some of the best television ever produced. Just wonderfully done.

Agreed.  I rewatched it a few months back.  Magnificent.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1512 on: July 01, 2024, 09:40:04 AM »
Agreed.  I rewatched it a few months back.  Magnificent.

Lasso's first season is good for what it is, feel good show with minimal thinking required

It begins to nosedive from there
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: July 01, 2024, 09:43:54 AM »
Lasso's first season is good for what it is, feel good show with minimal thinking required

Yeah it hasn't held up for me on the rewatch. A few episodes I really like still, but a steady descent. The third season was downright bad at times.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1514 on: July 01, 2024, 10:30:08 AM »

Hard disagree. It gets better in S2 by diving into real topics. Sportswashing through Dubai Air, mental health in sports through Ted's anxiety, toxic masculinity in sports with Jamie's dad, rampant sports capitalism with Edwin Akufo, I appreciate far more the serious tone with humor interlaced. It's brilliant.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1515 on: July 01, 2024, 01:44:47 PM »
Hard disagree. It gets better in S2 by diving into real topics. Sportswashing through Dubai Air, mental health in sports through Ted's anxiety, toxic masculinity in sports with Jamie's dad, rampant sports capitalism with Edwin Akufo, I appreciate far more the serious tone with humor interlaced. It's brilliant.

I think the problem, at least for me and a few of my friends, was it was all just a bit too on the nose.  Lasso at its peak (not just in Season 1) was a really light and goofy show that had really poignant and unexpected character development/side stories.  It was often cloaked in the greater goofy story so it would hit you and make you really feel in between laughter.

The "serious issues" in some cases just read too out of place.  Some of it was really well done, some of it, while not preachy, was just bopping you on the head with it without the seamless-ness of it the more poignant bits.  Like the show at its best was comedy with an emotional center and a heart.  When the comedy took a backseat for some of the deeper message based stories, it lost a bit of its charm.

I watched it all the way, loved it throughout all the way, was sad when it ended, but while I respected what Sudeikis and crew tried to do, I thought it pivoted a bit too abruptly and lost its fastball pace on the wing.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: July 01, 2024, 02:25:30 PM »
I think the problem, at least for me and a few of my friends, was it was all just a bit too on the nose.  Lasso at its peak (not just in Season 1) was a really light and goofy show that had really poignant and unexpected character development/side stories.  It was often cloaked in the greater goofy story so it would hit you and make you really feel in between laughter.

The "serious issues" in some cases just read too out of place.  Some of it was really well done, some of it, while not preachy, was just bopping you on the head with it without the seamless-ness of it the more poignant bits.  Like the show at its best was comedy with an emotional center and a heart.  When the comedy took a backseat for some of the deeper message based stories, it lost a bit of its charm.

That's absolutely it for me. It felt like in that gap between S2 and S3 that they thought "we're an important show, we need to address all the issues we can." Felt like a checklist.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1517 on: July 01, 2024, 05:04:18 PM »

I watched it all the way, loved it throughout all the way, was sad when it ended, but while I respected what Sudeikis and crew tried to do, I thought it pivoted a bit too abruptly and lost its fastball pace on the wing.

This

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: July 02, 2024, 11:18:29 AM »
I was checking in to see what others thought of Clipped, and I don't think anyone has weighed in. 

Such a weird show/story.  Lawrence Fishburne as Doc is really good - not a mimic, but a believable representation and looks enough like a bulky version of Doc.

And what a crap-show.  I was very aware that Sterling is a despicable human being (as is his wife), and I knew that things fell apart for him when his mistress exposed via social media what everyone already knew- hearing it posted made it no longer tolerable, apparently. But I had no idea of what a strange, striving and messed up person Viv was; or of the dysfunction of the Clipper player relationships (Blake Griffin not portrayed favorably).

A good watch for the real time struggle Doc and the team went through in dealing with it.  (And I believe it to be an accurate rep of Doc's view, as he consulted on the project).

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1519 on: July 02, 2024, 09:26:26 PM »
Legs, your review is spot on.  I’m enjoying it as is Dame Lawrence.
Ludum habemus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: July 02, 2024, 09:50:21 PM »
The Bear. Huh.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1521 on: July 03, 2024, 11:14:02 AM »
The Bear. Huh.

Just started it last night, two episodes in. I dig it, my wife not as much yet.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1522 on: July 03, 2024, 11:22:07 AM »
Just started it last night, two episodes in. I dig it, my wife not as much yet.

We're four episodes in on S3. The opinion in my house is mixed. My wife and one of my daughters think it's been boring. Another daughter and I think it's been good. I like it, and I really respect some of the more unorthodox storytelling that they do, but I do think it's not quite as good as previous seasons...at least through the fourth episode.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1523 on: July 03, 2024, 11:35:57 AM »
We're four episodes in on S3. The opinion in my house is mixed. My wife and one of my daughters think it's been boring. Another daughter and I think it's been good. I like it, and I really respect some of the more unorthodox storytelling that they do, but I do think it's not quite as good as previous seasons...at least through the fourth episode.

I'm through 4 as well. And my issue is it appears they are really going all in on style over substance now.

This show has never had a massive plot. But through 4 eps there has been literally no progession.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1524 on: July 03, 2024, 12:04:44 PM »
We finished The Bear S3, and I won't give any spoilers here, just a few general takes.

There were episodes with long, boring stretches, something that wasn't the case the first 2 seasons.

There were WAAAAY too many flashbacks, and the same flashbacks kept getting repeated. It detracted from the storytelling IMHO.

Jamie Lee Curtis, who will win an Emmy for her incredible one-episode turn in S2, had another amazing one-episode performance in S3.

Episodes that fleshed out how Tina ended up employed at Original Beef and that dealt with Syd's career choices were pretty damn good television IMHO.

The Carmie character was, in general, too pathetic for much of the season. Rather than rooting for him, as I did in the first 2 seasons, I spent much of this season wanting to slap him.

In general, there was too much of the Fak brothers.

S3 was good. But as so often happens in TV series, it just wasn't quite as good as the first 2. Still glad we watched, and we look forward to S4.