[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 47226 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #650 on: November 15, 2022, 01:56:09 PM »
This also further illustrates that 0.0 deals whatsoever should be put on the table.  As someone wrote in the WSJ today, Ukraine has to win this because  Putin's ambitions will never change. He wants a Soviet empire, period.  He has now broken Article 5.and continues to demonstrate his scumbaggery. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #651 on: November 15, 2022, 02:05:48 PM »
This also further illustrates that 0.0 deals whatsoever should be put on the table.  As someone wrote in the WSJ today, Ukraine has to win this because  Putin's ambitions will never change. He wants a Soviet empire, period.  He has now broken Article 5.and continues to demonstrate his scumbaggery. 

Very fine people on both sides.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #652 on: November 15, 2022, 02:09:41 PM »
Putin is still the bad guy.

Tucker strongly disagrees.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #653 on: November 15, 2022, 02:16:21 PM »

Which means he's an imbecile

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #654 on: November 15, 2022, 02:25:09 PM »
Makes one wonder whether it was intentional, Putin trying to goad NATO into aggressive moves in order to shore up his own flagging support at home, or whether it was standard Russian in competence.

It will also be interesting to see what the GOP House does in terms of support for Ukraine. The loud mouth pro-Putin faction has already said they won't support any money for Ukraine, but I think there are enough GOP House Members to still pass additional support bills, presuming McCarthy (again, presumably) allows a vote.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #655 on: November 15, 2022, 02:31:09 PM »
Makes one wonder whether it was intentional, Putin trying to goad NATO into aggressive moves in order to shore up his own flagging support at home, or whether it was standard Russian in competence.

It will also be interesting to see what the GOP House does in terms of support for Ukraine. The loud mouth pro-Putin faction has already said they won't support any money for Ukraine, but I think there are enough GOP House Members to still pass additional support bills, presuming McCarthy (again, presumably) allows a vote.

My guess is it was an accident but it demonstrates how incompetent his military is which is obviously dangerous.  Fortify the Polish border immediately.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #656 on: November 15, 2022, 02:32:49 PM »

I assume that to be the case in most things.   I am able to manage my disappointment.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #657 on: November 15, 2022, 02:38:23 PM »
My guess is it was an accident but it demonstrates how incompetent his military is which is obviously dangerous.  Fortify the Polish border immediately.
I am seeing reports that possibly Ukrainian missile defenses may have knocked the incoming missiles off course. Not confirmed.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #658 on: November 15, 2022, 02:40:29 PM »
I am seeing reports that possibly Ukrainian missile defenses may have knocked the incoming missiles off course. Not confirmed.

What does the police scanner in Doc Dribble's basement have to say about the situation?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #659 on: November 15, 2022, 03:43:47 PM »

I am pretty sure it would be incompetence because anything to get NATO more involved would not go well for Putin at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #660 on: November 15, 2022, 04:36:03 PM »

That would make sense.  Beyond the huge ramifications of bringing Poland into it, just look at a map.  This was a village of 400 people in the middle of nowhere, an hour plus from any major settlement (and that settlement is smaller than Waukesha).  There is zero to be gained from wasting missiles into a place like that, even if someone was into wanton violence and war crimes.

However, its not terribly far (~100 km) from Lviv if missiles were launched from Belarus or the like

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #661 on: November 15, 2022, 04:42:07 PM »
That would make sense.  Beyond the huge ramifications of bringing Poland into it, just look at a map.  This was a village of 400 people in the middle of nowhere, an hour plus from any major settlement (and that settlement is smaller than Waukesha).  There is zero to be gained from wasting missiles into a place like that, even if someone was into wanton violence and war crimes.

However, its not terribly far (~100 km) from Lviv if missiles were launched from Belarus or the like

Russia is already wasting missiles it doesn't have on civilian targets in Ukraine instead of military targets.  It's another symptom why they are losing this war badly.  There will be a NATO response but probably measured.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #662 on: November 15, 2022, 05:14:07 PM »
Russia is already wasting missiles it doesn't have on civilian targets in Ukraine instead of military targets.  It's another symptom why they are losing this war badly.  There will be a NATO response but probably measured.

There is a difference between firing missiles into a civilian target of a country/people you're trying to takeover and/or intimidate...and into a sparsely populated farm village in the middle of nowhere.  That doesn't intimidate Poland, it would just be a WTF

🏀

• All American
« Reply #663 on: November 15, 2022, 05:17:51 PM »
Missiles are missiles, poles were killed.

Accident? Probably.

NATO response is still required.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #664 on: November 15, 2022, 05:59:02 PM »
Missiles don’t kill people, people kill people.

How’d I do?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #665 on: November 15, 2022, 09:34:15 PM »

Accident? Probably.

A NATO response would be moronic, that is how broader wars start. Assuredly an accident, just like we accidentally bombed Bulgaria.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/apr/30/richardnortontaylor.kateconnolly

And we bombed a Chinese Embassy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48134881

MU82

• All American
« Reply #666 on: November 15, 2022, 11:06:55 PM »

Accident? Probably.

What response would you consider appropriate?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #667 on: November 16, 2022, 06:18:52 AM »
AP reporting that it looks like these were defense missels fired by Ukraine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #668 on: November 16, 2022, 06:40:13 AM »
What response would you consider appropriate?

Nothing short of nuclear, but sounds like it wasn’t Putin. We can stop pretending.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #669 on: November 16, 2022, 08:34:52 AM »
So it was a Ukranian missile that went astray?  Okay.......weird. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #670 on: November 16, 2022, 08:43:10 AM »

If the Russians were shooting at Lviv, which is about 50 miles from where the missile came down in Poland, it is easy to see how a Ukrainian defense missile can go off course.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #671 on: November 16, 2022, 08:45:50 AM »

Not really. Given the amount of air defense the Ukrainians are deploying for these missile attacks, I'm surprised it hasn't occurred earlier in the war. The same goes for Russian missiles. At some point, one is bound to fail and go off course hitting a target outside of Ukraine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #672 on: November 16, 2022, 10:01:03 AM »
Nothing short of nuclear.

Exactly. If Putin HAD done something like this, we'd have expressed outrage, put pressure on Russia's allies, try to punish them more financially, give more weapons to Poland and other NATO countries, etc.

But unless Putin goes nuclear, we're not going to even think about responding militarily. Nor should we.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #673 on: November 16, 2022, 10:29:26 AM »
Exactly. If Putin HAD done something like this, we'd have expressed outrage, put pressure on Russia's allies, try to punish them more financially, give more weapons to Poland and other NATO countries, etc.

But unless Putin goes nuclear, we're not going to even think about responding militarily. Nor should we.

If it was Putin, any NATO weapon would be available to Ukraine.

Any actual aggression towards the Poles should be matched ten-fold, but let's be honest, the guy has his hands full with Ukraine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #674 on: November 16, 2022, 11:07:43 AM »
Any actual aggression towards the Poles should be matched ten-fold, but let's be honest, the guy has his hands full with Ukraine.

Not sure one can apply logic to the thinking of a megalomaniacal dictator, but I hear what you're saying.