[Today at 06:20:17 AM]

More conference realignment talk by WhiteTrash
[July 05, 2022, 09:05:08 PM]

2022-23 Non-Con Schedule by Dr. Blackheart
[July 05, 2022, 04:27:34 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by #Unleash?
[July 05, 2022, 01:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 10799 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #375 on: June 13, 2022, 10:04:08 PM »
Putin is the bad guy.

C'mon, man. He's just misunderstood.

He's really just a gentle guy who loves horses and cares deeply about his fellow Russian citizens.
"We understand that for some reason, to people with money, to people who fund political campaigns, guns are more important than children. Today we stand for Lexi, and as her voice, we demand action."

-- Kimberly Rubio, whose daughter Lexi was among 19 schoolchildren slaughtered in Uvalde, Texas

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #376 on: June 13, 2022, 10:45:44 PM »
Wonder if he stayed at the same hotel where trump's hookers peed.

Fake news in reply to facts. Sad.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #377 on: June 13, 2022, 10:59:59 PM »
Fake news in reply to facts. Sad.

Your statements were equally fake news, and absurdly pointless to any discussion of Ukraine.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2022, 04:58:16 AM »
I also think we should be talking to Ukraine about what a "saving face" peace looks like.

Yeah, and we know that all too well from Vietnam, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #379 on: June 14, 2022, 07:34:32 AM »
Wonder if he stayed at the same hotel where trump's hookers peed.

The hotel where (8) Republican Senators stayed who visited on America's holiday July 4, 2018.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #380 on: June 14, 2022, 07:35:47 AM »
I tell people I was Rambo-ized in the 80's and I just don't like or trust Russians.  Marrying my Polish-born wife just added fuel to the fire.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #381 on: June 14, 2022, 07:40:16 AM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 07:44:07 AM by Pakuni »

User Name #251

• All American
« Reply #382 on: June 14, 2022, 07:47:10 AM »
Yeah, and we know that all too well from Vietnam, hey?

Exactly. Fifty years later that was clearly a war we fought for too long, costing too many lives.  We normalized relations 20 years after the war ended and they are now a preferred trading partner. You have to wonder what the entire point was.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #383 on: June 14, 2022, 01:55:55 PM »
Not to deflect from the Snopes fest, but I met a Ukrainian in his mid 30s this weekend at a trade show.

He and his family own the largest jewelry manufacturer in Ukraine and one of the predominant retail operations for gems and jewelry.  Not only are they based in Ukraine, they are/were based on Kharkiv.

He didn't want to get too deep into it, for obvious reasons, but he had cousins in Miami who handled their US sales efforts, and about 2 months ago they moved EVERYTHING they could from the business to Miami.  In the face of everything, I really appreciated his humor...

"You think escaping a war is hard? Try finding reasonably priced real estate, with security for millions of dollars worth of goods, in Miami on short notice"

TSmith34

• All American
« Reply #384 on: July 03, 2022, 09:56:09 AM »
This is one of the more optimistic state-of-the-war summaries I've seen. If the West can give Ukraine the means eliminate Russia's artillery advantage, they will be able to drive them out of Donbas.
https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1543491060684492800
Pooba of Biggot Buffons

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #385 on: July 03, 2022, 09:58:39 AM »
This is one of the more optimistic state-of-the-war summaries I've seen. If the West can give Ukraine the means eliminate Russia's artillery advantage, they will be able to drive them out of Donbas.
https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1543491060684492800

Let’s see if the freedom loving west actually comes through to help keep Ukraine free
Tis a shame, 'tis a rotton shame, for if ye can enjoy the walkin’ ye can probably enjoy the other times in yer life when ve're in between. And that's most o' the time; wouldn't ye say?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #386 on: July 03, 2022, 10:46:48 AM »
The winners in this all are still China and Saudi Arabia.

In the early 70's we had an economic crisis spurred by the worlds reliance on Saudi oil. When the Yom Kippur war occurred, Saudi Arabia cut off their oil, and we had oil shortages and rampant inflation (blamed on Carter; even though the major causes occurred under Nixon). Our solution then was to cut a back room deal with Saudi Arabia, where we would guarantee oil purchases at largely whatever price they set, under the agreement that they poured that money into US treasuries so we could continue major deficit spending. Since then Saudi Arabia to reasonable extent can hold us hostage.

Fast forward almost 50 years. Ukraine/Russia crisis. Loss of Russian oil, in combination with global supply issues cause oil shortages, and mass inflation (blamed on Biden: even though the major causes go back likely multiple presidencies). China and Saudi Arabia hold all the cards to limit damage (as well as Venezuela and Iran). It took us 30 years to learn of the backroom deals from the Nixon era, I fear what kind of backroom deals are being done now.

TSmith34

• All American
« Reply #387 on: July 03, 2022, 12:56:58 PM »

In the early 70's we had an economic crisis spurred by the worlds reliance on Saudi oil. When the Yom Kippur war occurred, Saudi Arabia cut off their oil, and we had oil shortages and rampant inflation (blamed on Carter; even though the major causes occurred under Nixon). Our solution then was to cut a back room deal with Saudi Arabia, where we would guarantee oil purchases at largely whatever price they set, under the agreement that they poured that money into US treasuries so we could continue major deficit spending. Since then Saudi Arabia to reasonable extent can hold us hostage.

Fast forward almost 50 years. Ukraine/Russia crisis. Loss of Russian oil, in combination with global supply issues cause oil shortages, and mass inflation (blamed on Biden: even though the major causes go back likely multiple presidencies). China and Saudi Arabia hold all the cards to limit damage (as well as Venezuela and Iran). It took us 30 years to learn of the backroom deals from the Nixon era, I fear what kind of backroom deals are being done now.

Only if the policies of multiple Presidents caused global inflation. The European Union was at 8.1% through April.
https://inflationdata.com/articles/2022/05/21/worldwide-inflation-by-country-2022/#:~:text=The%20World%20Inflation%20Rate%20The%20average%20inflation%20rate,from%204.35%25%20in%202021%2C%20and%203.18%25%20in%202020.
Pooba of Biggot Buffons

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #388 on: July 03, 2022, 08:18:21 PM »
Only if the policies of multiple Presidents caused global inflation. The European Union was at 8.1% through April.
https://inflationdata.com/articles/2022/05/21/worldwide-inflation-by-country-2022/#:~:text=The%20World%20Inflation%20Rate%20The%20average%20inflation%20rate,from%204.35%25%20in%202021%2C%20and%203.18%25%20in%202020.

My apologies, my wording was poor and convoluted. I'm blaming inflation on two aspects, supply chain (e.g. lack of domestic production) and in regards to oil/food the Ukraine/Russia crisis.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #389 on: July 04, 2022, 03:12:47 PM »

You forgot India.

TSmith34

• All American
« Reply #390 on: July 05, 2022, 10:04:28 PM »
The effect upgraded Ukrainian artillery capability is having:
https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1544495879884886017
Pooba of Biggot Buffons

feedback