[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 07:47:06 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Crime Reports  (Read 49719 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Marquette Crime Reports
« Reply #400 on: July 29, 2022, 05:30:40 AM »
Dozens a day here.

If you watch Sheriff Bob on his live broadcast, he Is always looking for stolen Kia’s.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #401 on: July 29, 2022, 05:39:40 AM »
Isn't hotwiring a Kia a one of those ticketytock challenges?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #402 on: July 29, 2022, 07:16:02 AM »
Isn't hotwiring a Kia a one of those ticketytock challenges?

It definitely was at one point. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #403 on: July 29, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
Last year MUPD gave out free Clubs to students who had Hyndais and Kias.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #404 on: July 29, 2022, 09:49:57 AM »
Last year MUPD gave out free Clubs to students who had Hyndais and Kias.

I can't comprehend why anyone with a Kia or Hyundai doesn't have a Club, free or not.    It's about 50x less expensive than having your car stolen.

Maybe the Club-less want their car stolen so they can get a new car?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #405 on: July 29, 2022, 10:12:57 AM »
I can't comprehend why anyone with a Kia or Hyundai doesn't have a Club, free or not.    It's about 50x less expensive than having your car stolen.

Maybe the Club-less want their car stolen so they can get a new car?

This was when it was first happening.  Also, when it comes to basic theft protection stupid kids will be stupid kids.  Same ones who leave their laptops unattended while they go to the bathroom at Starbucks.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #406 on: July 29, 2022, 11:14:36 AM »
This was when it was first happening.  Also, when it comes to basic theft protection stupid kids will be stupid kids.  Same ones who leave their laptops unattended while they go to the bathroom at Starbucks.

with all due respect, implying that *only* locking one's car (which likely has a factory installed alarm/anti-theft device) is the equivalent to leaving a laptop unaccompanied in a public place is the classic "blame the victim." This isn't leaving valuables visible and then complaining about getting broken into. Besides, it isn't like "the Club" is 100% effective. In fact, thieves laugh at them.

https://freakonomics.com/2010/06/what-car-thieves-think-of-the-club/
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/steering-wheel-locks-prevent-car-theft/

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #407 on: July 29, 2022, 11:18:22 AM »
with all due respect, implying that *only* locking one's car (which likely has a factory installed alarm/anti-theft device) is the equivalent to leaving a laptop unaccompanied in a public place is the classic "blame the victim." This isn't leaving valuables visible and then complaining about getting broken into. Besides, it isn't like "the Club" is 100% effective. In fact, thieves laugh at them.

I was going to say, I’ve talked to a police officer who has mentioned a few times it is more for show than anything.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #408 on: July 29, 2022, 11:42:03 AM »

I don't think Chick was implying anything of the sort. She was saying that many at that age don't even secure their laptops when in a public place (a lower level of property protection) so expecting them to buy clubs for their cars (a higher level of property protection) isn't prudent. I don't think she was implying anything about it being the victim's fault.

That being said, you are right about clubs not being an effective deterrent.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #409 on: July 29, 2022, 11:44:50 AM »
I don't think Chick was implying anything of the sort. She was saying that many at that age don't even secure their laptops when in a public place (a lower level of property protection) so expecting them to buy clubs for their cars (a higher level of property protection) isn't prudent. I don't think she was implying anything about it being the victim's fault.

This.
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #410 on: July 29, 2022, 12:24:08 PM »
Anyone parking those on the street downtown are simply foolish.  Know a lot of owners who had them stolen

I have a Hyundai Elantra and parked on the street downtown prior to hearing about all the vehicle thefts. Luckily, I have a push to start, but that didn't stop the guy from smashing my window and trying to steal it. Wish he would have glanced inside first to save us both some trouble.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #411 on: July 29, 2022, 12:42:11 PM »
I have a Hyundai Elantra and parked on the street downtown prior to hearing about all the vehicle thefts. Luckily, I have a push to start, but that didn't stop the guy from smashing my window and trying to steal it. Wish he would have glanced inside first to save us both some trouble.

My old roommate in Chicago had his car broken into.  What, I assume, they thought was a wallet on the passenger seat was an old book of CDs.  The irony is they used a Callaway driver to smash in the window and it broke and they left it in the car.  The driver was worth 5x more than anything they would have stole from the inside and 20x more expensive than the lone charger they stole.  They didn't even attempt to steal the car itself.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #412 on: July 29, 2022, 01:39:55 PM »
i've got an idea...how about we make stealing cars a crime and put those who partake in such activity in jail/prison.  maybe even add carjacking to that list.  rather than walking these punks thru the police station out the back door.  throw them in jail with a real bond until their hearing then throw em in prison for 5-10 real years.  i don't care how old they are

once word goes around, they'll have to find a new hobby...maybe even go to school or a real job
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #413 on: July 29, 2022, 05:13:47 PM »
i've got an idea...how about we make stealing cars a crime and put those who partake in such activity in jail/prison.  maybe even add carjacking to that list.  rather than walking these punks thru the police station out the back door.  throw them in jail with a real bond until their hearing then throw em in prison for 5-10 real years.  i don't care how old they are

once word goes around, they'll have to find a new hobby...maybe even go to school or a real job

You constantly advocate for locking people up despite all evidence to the contrary that it is effective.

Stick to teeth, bucko.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #414 on: July 29, 2022, 05:36:07 PM »
You constantly advocate for locking people up despite all evidence to the contrary that it is effective.

Stick to teeth, bucko.

I’ve been told laws don’t stop criminals anyway
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #415 on: July 29, 2022, 06:38:05 PM »
This just in:

Marquette's enrollment just went down to zero.

Sad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #416 on: July 29, 2022, 07:27:55 PM »
It had a good run, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #417 on: July 29, 2022, 10:36:02 PM »

From what I've read/seen, push to start doesn't matter at all.  You may still want additional security.

RE: Clubs.  They certainly can be defeated, as can most "security devices".  But they are effective at not making your ride the easiest to steal vs. the others.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #418 on: July 30, 2022, 08:25:17 AM »
i've got an idea...how about we make stealing cars a crime and put those who partake in such activity in jail/prison.  maybe even add carjacking to that list. rather than walking these punks thru the police station out the back door.  throw them in jail with a real bond until their hearing then throw em in prison for 5-10 real years.  i don't care how old they are

*checks criminal laws*
Huh
*wonders how roqqet remembers to breathe*
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #419 on: July 30, 2022, 09:05:20 AM »
Besides, it isn't like "the Club" is 100% effective. In fact, thieves laugh at them.

I read those.  They hired "professional" car thieves to learn their tricks.

The "Kia Boys" miscreants are not pros, they are opportunistic joy-riding kids (who should be locked up.)   

At worst, a Club is going to have half+ of cars skipped, and the remainder is going to take an extra few minutes to cut thru, *IF* these a-holes remembered to change the blades on their hacksaw. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #420 on: July 30, 2022, 11:04:34 AM »
*checks criminal laws*
Huh
*wonders how roqqet remembers to breathe*

Definitely thru his mouth.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #421 on: July 30, 2022, 07:24:05 PM »
From what I've read/seen, push to start doesn't matter at all.  You may still want additional security.

RE: Clubs.  They certainly can be defeated, as can most "security devices".  But they are effective at not making your ride the easiest to steal vs. the others.

This. In fact, they are an effective deterrent regardless what some claim on scoop.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #422 on: August 03, 2022, 07:09:20 PM »
Initial Incident Report
Incident type: Shots fired
Incident location: North 14th and W State
Approximate time: 5:40 p.m.
Victims: One male, not affiliated with Marquette
Physical injuries: The victim suffered gunshot injuries and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

At approximately 5:40 p.m., the Marquette University Police Department and the Milwaukee Police Department responded to a call of shots fired near N. 14th St. and W. State St. A non-Marquette-affiliated male sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to the hospital. The suspect fled the scene. The Milwaukee Police Department is leading the investigation and MUPD is assisting.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #423 on: August 08, 2022, 10:37:36 AM »
From the NYT:

Crime, murder and mass shootings have dominated headlines this year. Just over the weekend, a shooting in Cincinnati wounded nine people, and another in Detroit killed one and wounded four.

But the full crime data tells a different story. Nationwide, shootings are down 4 percent this year compared to the same time last year. In big cities, murders are down 3 percent. If the decrease in murders continues for the rest of 2022, it will be the first year since 2018 in which they fell in the U.S.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #424 on: August 08, 2022, 10:48:28 AM »
From the NYT:

Crime, murder and mass shootings have dominated headlines this year. Just over the weekend, a shooting in Cincinnati wounded nine people, and another in Detroit killed one and wounded four.

But the full crime data tells a different story. Nationwide, shootings are down 4 percent this year compared to the same time last year. In big cities, murders are down 3 percent. If the decrease in murders continues for the rest of 2022, it will be the first year since 2018 in which they fell in the U.S.

Supply chain issues for bullets