'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219559 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #1300 on: April 22, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »
Sure, but other people are acting like culture is more important than talent (Kolek example).  I think that's a ridiculous assertion in the world that Shaka is living.  He has to be going for talent, just not at the expense of team chemistry.  And c'mon there aren't that many players that are "bad seeds" - let's not start acting like Wisconsin fans that didn't want a recruit because "supposedly" he couldn't hack it academically.

Nobody is saying ignore talent.  It's finding talent that fits the culture.

Some of these prospects won't develop and transfer after a year or two.  But some will turn into very good juniors and seniors.

Some might improve faster than projected and turn pro early.  A guy like Justin Lewis fits this mold.

Not sure why people are thinking that culture means sacrificing winning when the culture is meant to foster winning.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1301 on: April 22, 2022, 12:58:55 PM »
That's the point. Bates doesn't care about winning first. He wants to get out of college as soon as possible, which is fine, just not for Marquette.

There will be one and done's and 1 year guys that fit what Shaka is looking for but Bates isn't remotely close to it. An offensive minded guy with no defensive potential who wants to do nothing but score (at a 38% clip). Kolek may have shot 32% but scoring wasn't what he was asked to do last season. He was literally the only PG the team had.

Are you Bates' psychologist or just talking out your a-- about a kid you know nothing about?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1302 on: April 22, 2022, 01:01:40 PM »
Yeah, good thing we're not bringing in one-year players. (Please ignore that Zach Wrightsil in the corner).

Shaka brings in one year players like Wrightsil, Morsell, and, Kuath that <drumroll> FIT THE CULTURE.

If you can't tell the difference between those guys and Emoni Bates, then you have no idea what Shaka is trying to build.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1303 on: April 22, 2022, 01:03:26 PM »
Sure, but other people are acting like culture is more important than talent (Kolek example).  I think that's a ridiculous assertion in the world that Shaka is living.  He has to be going for talent, just not at the expense of team chemistry.  And c'mon there aren't that many players that are "bad seeds" - let's not start acting like Wisconsin fans that didn't want a recruit because "supposedly" he couldn't hack it academically.

Lot of posters are getting real close to this.  Let's not pretend like we wouldn't welcome him with open arms if for some reason Bates decided he wanted to come here. 

I think there's an element of blindly defending any/all person(s) that come to MU, and immediate dismissal of anyone that doesn't.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1304 on: April 22, 2022, 01:05:36 PM »
Are you Bates' psychologist or just talking out your a-- about a kid you know nothing about?

I'm taking information that college coaches and media outlets have gathered and shared. The Miller Brothers, the Van Gundy brothers, other media outlets, it's all over.

He could end up being a great player at a later age, but right now he's out there taking poor shots and doing individual things that will get him drafted. Marquette ain't for him and he ain't for Marquette at this stage in his career.

https://youtu.be/9NUTWwf_N_s
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1305 on: April 22, 2022, 01:10:01 PM »
Need more?

https://youtu.be/9oyOJiAVf6c

Again, I think he could turn out to be great. Marquette is trying to build a foundation and that's not with a guy like Emoni. There will be other 1 year guys maybe even 1 and done's that fit later on.

We are in the early stages of a foundational rebuild.

"This ain't the PeachJam bro."

"He's a young scorer that hasn't played real defense in his life."

"This doesn't work in the college game."

The evidence from trusted coaches and college media members is all over.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 01:11:58 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1306 on: April 22, 2022, 01:16:46 PM »
Lot of posters are getting real close to this.  Let's not pretend like we wouldn't welcome him with open arms if for some reason Bates decided he wanted to come here. 

I think there's an element of blindly defending any/all person(s) that come to MU, and immediate dismissal of anyone that doesn't.

Hell ya we'd welcome him because if he plays for Marquette and/or is wanted by Shaka, regardless of who the player is, we all should be on board. That's what being a fan is supposed to be about. Back the guys who want to be on your side.

I'm just telling you why he won't be courted by Marquette and why Marquette will look elsewhere.
VIOLENCE!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1307 on: April 22, 2022, 01:18:12 PM »
I'm just telling you why he won't be courted by Marquette and why Marquette will look elsewhere.

Glad to have you posting here Shaka. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1308 on: April 22, 2022, 01:19:06 PM »
Hell ya we'd welcome him because if he plays for Marquette and/or is wanted by Shaka, regardless of who the player is, we all should be on board. That's what being a fan is supposed to be about. Back the guys who want to be on your side.

So when you know you can't get him, you don't even want him, but if you could get him, then you'd love him.  Sure sounds like a badger fan to me.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1309 on: April 22, 2022, 01:21:28 PM »
Glad to have you posting here Shaka.

Idk if you just haven't seen it or haven't been paying attention or what the case may be, but it's pretty obvious what Shaka's approach is. He told us all a few weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/DariusJoshuaTV/status/1514311512323731466?t=UVu2fSefqRGNx77ZMSyv8g&s=19
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1310 on: April 22, 2022, 01:25:29 PM »
Guys, Shaka didn't reach out to Bates. That should say all you need about whether or not he thought Bates was a fit.

Some blue chip guys don't fit what Shaka wants either on the court,  off the court,  or both.  He won't pursue them. Wojo would've, Shaka is different. That doesn't mean all blue chippers are bad fits or Shaka doesnt want talented players, or whatever strawman is being trotted out there.

But it also doesn't mean we should assume that a blue chipper isn't a fit simply because he's a blue chipper
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1311 on: April 22, 2022, 01:27:18 PM »
Guys, Shaka didn't reach out to Bates. That should say all you need about whether or not he thought Bates was a fit.

Some blue chip guys don't fit what Shaka wants either on the court,  off the court,  or both.  He won't pursue them. Wojo would've, Shaka is different. That doesn't mean all blue chippers are bad fits or Shaka doesnt want talented players, or whatever strawman is being trotted out there.

But it also doesn't mean we should assume that a blue chipper isn't a fit simply because he's a blue chipper

Do you think Shaka would have reached out if he knew that he'd have the NIL backing that Bates is likely to receive wherever he ends up?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1312 on: April 22, 2022, 01:28:48 PM »
Do you think Shaka would have reached out if he knew that he'd have the NIL backing that Bates is likely to receive wherever he ends up?

No.

https://twitter.com/DariusJoshuaTV/status/1514311512323731466?t=UVu2fSefqRGNx77ZMSyv8g&s=19
VIOLENCE!

Its DJOver

• All American

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1314 on: April 22, 2022, 01:36:08 PM »
Bates was not yet in the portal, nice try though.

Did you listen? It's not about Bates specifically. It's about Shaka's approach, beliefs, style.

He's looking primarily for moldable guys that fit the trajectory of the program. He wants players that he can mold and keep within the program or older guys who are already molded to what he aligns with.
VIOLENCE!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1315 on: April 22, 2022, 01:40:04 PM »
I'm taking information that college coaches and media outlets have gathered and shared. The Miller Brothers, the Van Gundy brothers, other media outlets, it's all over.

He could end up being a great player at a later age, but right now he's out there taking poor shots and doing individual things that will get him drafted. Marquette ain't for him and he ain't for Marquette at this stage in his career.

https://youtu.be/9NUTWwf_N_s

You said Bates "doesn't care about winning." Nothing here suggests that. You have no idea what he cares about and your need to attack the kid's character because he's not coming to Marquette is bonkers.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1316 on: April 22, 2022, 01:43:06 PM »
Did you listen? It's not about Bates specifically. It's about Shaka's approach, beliefs, style.

He's looking primarily for moldable guys that fit the trajectory of the program. He wants players that he can mold and keep within the program or older guys who are already molded to what he aligns with.

Yea, it's vague coach talk, every coach does it.  Do you really think that a program that hasn't won a tourney game in a decade would be so arrogant to turn their noses up at a lottery pick?  Shaka knows he can't compete finically in the race for Bates.  You've got your head pretty well rooted in the sand if you think he only didn't reach out because of "culture".

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1317 on: April 22, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »
You said Bates "doesn't care about winning." Nothing here suggests that. You have no idea what he cares about and your need to attack the kid's character because he's not coming to Marquette is bonkers.

I said winning first. Everyone cares about winning, it's the nature of competition. His priority is to get to the NBA above winning in college. Everybody that discusses him including those coaches I linked earlier have said the same. It's completely ok and hes not even close to the only one that's in that position, just doesn't align with Marquette. Of course he's going to play to win wherever he goes.
VIOLENCE!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1318 on: April 22, 2022, 01:46:20 PM »
Need more?

https://youtu.be/9oyOJiAVf6c

Again, I think he could turn out to be great. Marquette is trying to build a foundation and that's not with a guy like Emoni. There will be other 1 year guys maybe even 1 and done's that fit later on.

We are in the early stages of a foundational rebuild.

"This ain't the PeachJam bro."

"He's a young scorer that hasn't played real defense in his life."

"This doesn't work in the college game."

The evidence from trusted coaches and college media members is all over.

Glad they compare Bates to Shaedon Sharpe, who played under the preeminent 1 and done coach...and also was injured his entire short college career.

Good to see that top 10 recruits at 17-18 are no longer able to struggle or take time to adjust at the next level.  They are automatically lazy/overrated/disappointing/unprepared.

Also, love them as color guys, but when I'm talking college basketball, the opinions of the Van Gundys are as valuable as Charles Barkley or Stephen A Smith

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1319 on: April 22, 2022, 01:46:37 PM »
Yea, it's vague coach talk, every coach does it.  Do you really think that a program that hasn't won a tourney game in a decade would be so arrogant to turn their noses up at a lottery pick?  Shaka knows he can't compete finically in the race for Bates.  You've got your head pretty well rooted in the sand if you think he only didn't reach out because of "culture".

I'm quite confident that Shaka doesn't care about the last decade at Marquette. He's concerned about the next one. He's building a foundation. He will look to add young 1 year players in the future, that I believe because he did it at Texas. Just not now at this stage in the process.
VIOLENCE!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1320 on: April 22, 2022, 01:54:58 PM »
I'm quite confident that Shaka doesn't care about the last decade at Marquette. He's concerned about the next one. He's building a foundation. He will look to add young 1 year players in the future, that I believe because he did it at Texas. Just not now at this stage in the process.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/11/23/class-of-2023-five-star-forward-justin-edwards-picks-up-kentucky-offer-while-on-official-visit/

Number 11 overall prospect has an offer from Marquette.  You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1321 on: April 22, 2022, 02:17:25 PM »
https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/11/23/class-of-2023-five-star-forward-justin-edwards-picks-up-kentucky-offer-while-on-official-visit/

Number 11 overall prospect has an offer from Marquette.  You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

In 2023. When guys that have been here will be juniors and seniors.

Shaka didn't go after Baldwin in his own back yard. Didn't go after Bates. Will he go after those guys? I'm sure. Eventually. I think we'll see some next year and more in the years after that. But not until after the "all culture the first two years" is established on the roster.

He is literally telling us the plan and you say he's ignoring it because we can't afford Bates? Please. We had a donor drop $6M in a day to get rid of Wojo. If it was that imperative we add a guy, Marquette would at least reach out then see if the donors would come through.

We aren't going for Bates because the staff doesn't want him. Period.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1322 on: April 22, 2022, 02:44:34 PM »
In 2023. When guys that have been here will be juniors and seniors.

Shaka didn't go after Baldwin in his own back yard. Didn't go after Bates. Will he go after those guys? I'm sure. Eventually. I think we'll see some next year and more in the years after that. But not until after the "all culture the first two years" is established on the roster.

He is literally telling us the plan and you say he's ignoring it because we can't afford Bates? Please. We had a donor drop $6M in a day to get rid of Wojo. If it was that imperative we add a guy, Marquette would at least reach out then see if the donors would come through.

We aren't going for Bates because the staff doesn't want him. Period.

He's not though, and why would he?  He's giving vague coach talk and you guys are reading tea leaves that aren't there. 

It was known since Feb 2021 that Baldwin was going to go play for his dad, it's known that Bates is going to the highest bidder, which won't be MU.  The bag was dropped for Wojo because it was known to be a 1 time payment after years of building, it's not going to be dropped for a player, when it will be known that it will have to be dropped every year.  You guys can try to shoehorn everything that Shaka does into his intentionally vague media dialogue, but he knows what he has to work with, and he knows it's not enough to land Bates.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1323 on: April 22, 2022, 02:50:38 PM »

1. Justin Edwards was not a 5-star recruit when Shaka offered
2. We haven't been mentioned with Edwards since he became a 5-star recruit
3. No one is saying that Shaka doesn't want highly rated player, just that they need to be fits on and off the court

Do you really think that talent is the sole thing coaches should look at when recruiting a player? If the answer is no, then you have to admit there are situations when a coach isn't going to be interested in a player even if he is immensely talented. If the answer is yes then I don't know what to tell you.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1324 on: April 22, 2022, 02:54:59 PM »
1. Justin Edwards was not a 5-star recruit when Shaka offered
2. We haven't been mentioned with Edwards since he became a 5-star recruit
3. No one is saying that Shaka doesn't want highly rated player, just that they need to be fits on and off the court

Do you really think that talent is the sole thing coaches should look at when recruiting a player? If the answer is no, then you have to admit there are situations when a coach isn't going to be interested in a player even if he is immensely talented. If the answer is yes then I don't know what to tell you.

Have I not admitted this literally every time I say that we won't get Bates?  Coaches target players, and players target coaches/programs.  Shaka knows he isn't at the type of program that would attract Bates so he isn't going to waste his time trying, no matter how talented Bates is.  I feel like I've been incredibly consistent in saying this, and if people still aren't getting it, then maybe my posts are being misinterpreted.