[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219544 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #1100 on: April 18, 2022, 03:57:56 PM »
Is it just assumed that he's granted a waiver to play right away? 

This one is an interesting case study.  One one hand, I get that he left UNC for family reasons, so the waiver is easier to justify, especially when transferring to a hometown school.  On the other hand, does that open up the floodgate for two-time transfers heading back to their hometown schools for "family reasons"?  Could the NCAA say he's not eligible until, say, halfway through the season, since he played roughly half of last season?

I'm curious about this as well.  I thought part of the free one time transfer thing was to eliminate all the waiver silliness. 

I know it sucks for Dawson having family issues but it seems like it would open a door into the NCAA now granting two free transfers.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: April 18, 2022, 04:01:41 PM »
UNC
Virginia
Florida
Wisconsin

would be my guess. Rumors of UNC forking over big NIL last week, but rumors can be pretty far fetched. We shall see.

I'm certain that Kamari is texting Tyrese trying to get him to UW.  They've played together since they were babies practically.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: April 18, 2022, 04:04:31 PM »
I'm certain that Kamari is texting Tyrese trying to get him to UW.  They've played together since they were babies practically.
Don't they play the same position in college?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1103 on: April 18, 2022, 04:15:05 PM »
I'm curious about this as well.  I thought part of the free one time transfer thing was to eliminate all the waiver silliness. 

I know it sucks for Dawson having family issues but it seems like it would open a door into the NCAA now granting two free transfers.
Is he even academically eligible? Granted it was UNC, but wondering if he did all of this semester's courses online?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: April 18, 2022, 04:21:22 PM »

I can’t think of one good reason to give Garcia a waiver. I apologize if this comes off as being insensitive as it’s not my intent but the great majority of people lose their grandparents at some point between their teenage years and their mid twenties. I’ll just call it like it is… he likely left because his role was diminishing at UNC. If there are still persistent family issues, then the NCAA should do him a favor and make him sit so he can spend more time with them. If Garcia is allowed to play, then you might as well just get rid of the waiver rule.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1105 on: April 18, 2022, 04:22:44 PM »

Badger honk Evan Flood already shot this down
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: April 18, 2022, 04:23:43 PM »
Don't they play the same position in college?

Plus I think they retain a PG from last year that they really like. I assume the McGee relationship will at least get them a visit, but I would be really surprised if Hunter went there.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: April 18, 2022, 04:25:47 PM »
I can’t think of one good reason to give Garcia a waiver. I apologize if this comes off as being insensitive as it’s not my intent but the great majority of people lose their grandparents at some point between their teenage years and their mid twenties. I’ll just call it like it is… he likely left because his role was diminishing at UNC. If there are still persistent family issues, then the NCAA should do him a favor and make him sit so he can spend more time with them. If Garcia is allowed to play, then you might as well just get rid of the waiver rule.

I'd have no problem getting rid of the waiver rule.

Beyond that, I hope that Dawson's family will get no more bad news, and I wish him success at Minnesota.

I also hope the hole in your heart heals quickly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: April 18, 2022, 04:37:45 PM »
I'd have no problem getting rid of the waiver rule.
Yes. Just put buyout clauses in their deals, both ways. You want to transfer, you owe the school the cost of tuition for the number of years of eligibility remaining. You want to cut a player, fine, pay the player that same amount.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: April 18, 2022, 04:40:07 PM »

How many also have their dad almost die a couple months earlier?

And not to mention, a ton of students transfer home after loved ones either die, or fall ill, when they realize time with family is important. Those students get to transfer without punishment.

His should be an automatic waiver to play right away.

Spirit Of James

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1110 on: April 18, 2022, 04:44:21 PM »
Ex-MU recruit Rocket Watts back to the portal again.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1111 on: April 18, 2022, 05:08:37 PM »
Yes. Just put buyout clauses in their deals, both ways. You want to transfer, you owe the school the cost of tuition for the number of years of eligibility remaining. You want to cut a player, fine, pay the player that same amount.

Student athletes aren't employees.
Source: The NCAA

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1112 on: April 18, 2022, 05:47:54 PM »
Student athletes aren't employees.
Source: The NCAA
Stident athletes at private universities are emoloyees under the NLRA. Jennifer Ambruzzo-NLRB.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: April 18, 2022, 06:10:40 PM »
Stident athletes at private universities are emoloyees under the NLRA. Jennifer Ambruzzo-NLRB.

By the definition/case memo they used. All students are also employees.

So if students decide to transfer, should they still have to pay all their tuition? And if they are kicked out of school, should the schools have to pay them the entire cost of tuition?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: April 18, 2022, 06:19:27 PM »

I'd have absolutely no problem with that as long as you pay them a real salary. Guess they'll need to form a union and collectively bargain for all this stuff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: April 18, 2022, 06:43:48 PM »
I'd have absolutely no problem with that as long as you pay them a real salary. Guess they'll need to form a union and collectively bargain for all this stuff.
I agree.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: April 18, 2022, 06:44:57 PM »
By the definition/case memo they used. All students are also employees.

So if students decide to transfer, should they still have to pay all their tuition? And if they are kicked out of school, should the schools have to pay them the entire cost of tuition?
If before.they start they signed a contract to do so. Yes.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1117 on: April 18, 2022, 06:49:12 PM »

Your solution is a step backwards.  Every school that loses a player to transfer is seeking to get one from somewhere else.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: April 18, 2022, 06:56:10 PM »

Why would anyone sign that contract?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: April 18, 2022, 07:00:58 PM »

This was my perception as well. I thought the one free transfer eliminated the need for a waiver, but a second transfer wouldn’t have the option for a waiver.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1120 on: April 18, 2022, 07:05:19 PM »
Why would anyone sign that contract?
If we are talking athletes, its obvious. Student Athlete employees could bargain for the length of their contract, buyputs etc. Non athletes they wouldnt sign that, but that wasnt my hypothetical.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1121 on: April 18, 2022, 07:07:59 PM »
If we are talking athletes, its obvious. Student Athlete employees could bargain for the length of their contract, buyputs etc. Non athletes they wouldnt sign that, but that wasnt my hypothetical.

Why would any school offer anything but the sweetest deal possible to get somewhere there?  "We really want you here, but are insisting on this buy-out clause."  Who's going to say that?  The whole idea makes no sense. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: April 18, 2022, 07:35:18 PM »
I understand why he is a valued prospect but there are a lot of players in mocks behind him that I like a lot better. He was pretty terrible to close the year and like you said has a ton of holes in his game. I get it though, potential.

I think with Davis, it’s at least 50/50 that he’s already reached his ceiling.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 07:36:49 PM by mugrad_89 »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1123 on: April 18, 2022, 07:35:29 PM »

Why would any school offer anything but the sweetest deal possible to get somewhere there?  "We really want you here, but are insisting on this buy-out clause."  Who's going to say that?  The whole idea makes no sense.
School A offers a 1 year 200K deal, no buyout clause. School B offers a 3 year 1 million deal, with a buyout of having to pay 200 K back for each year left on the contract. Many would take offer B. Sure, some schools might be fine with everyone of their players being 1 year free agents. I would guess most wouldnt.

Why would a coach have a buyout clause?

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: April 18, 2022, 07:37:57 PM »
Has Joey entered the portal yet?  👀