[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219398 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #900 on: April 14, 2022, 03:26:53 PM »
Akinjo had a coaching change at Arizona.  Remy Martin is one. He entered the transfer portal not too long after declaring for the draft, so we will see if Justin enters the portal.

Akinjo from Georgetown to Arizona.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #901 on: April 14, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »
Akinjo from Georgetown to Arizona.
Fair enough (McClung did it too, I think). If you look at those 3, look at the teams they previously played for. All 3 were sht-shows.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #902 on: April 14, 2022, 03:47:42 PM »
The perfect Wojo player has entered the portal. Antoine Davis.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #903 on: April 14, 2022, 05:21:25 PM »
Akinjo had a coaching change at Arizona.  Remy Martin is one. He entered the transfer portal not too long after declaring for the draft, so we will see if Justin enters the portal.

Remy Martin is a little different I think since he was a grad transfer, no? In any case, they need to put in a provision that you can only get immediate eligibility going from one P6 school to another if you play less than “x” minutes a game (or some other productively metric). Grad transfers and coaching changes would be exceptions.

It will be better for the game if immediate eligibility is reserved for players either going up or going down a level.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #904 on: April 14, 2022, 05:31:07 PM »
Remy Martin is a little different I think since he was a grad transfer, no? In any case, they need to put in a provision that you can only get immediate eligibility going from one P6 school to another if you play less than “x” minutes a game (or some other productively metric). Grad transfers and coaching changes would be exceptions.

It will be better for the game if immediate eligibility is reserved for players either going up or going down a level.

So then you’ll have coaches manipulating minutes. No thanks. It’s fine the way it is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #905 on: April 14, 2022, 05:47:29 PM »

So a kid transferring from DePaul to Gonzaga or Pitt to Houston would be going down a level?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #906 on: April 14, 2022, 10:41:40 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2022/04/14/naia-national-champion-zach-wrightsil-visits-marquette-loyola/7316678001/

Ben Steele article on Zach Wrightsil. I didn't realize that one of Shaka's former players is an assistant at Loyola New Orleans
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #907 on: April 15, 2022, 08:48:11 AM »
Smith

We may already have the guy on the team. I believe Omax is going to have a breakout year next season. If that is the case, we need to upgrade the role filled by Omax this season.

Goose, I respect you as a poster and don’t think I’ve ever challenged or called you out on anything but Omax as a Justin replacement is an absolute joke. I hope you’re right but I do not see it. Omax can barley dribble the ball

If, and that’s a massive if, there’s a replacement already on the roster I think it’s more likely Joplin.

But I don’t see there being a replacement on the roster. Losing Justin sucks. I got no problem with him going pro but if he transfers that’s horrible for the program
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 08:54:52 AM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

panda

• All American
« Reply #908 on: April 15, 2022, 08:50:13 AM »
Goose, I respect you as a poster and don’t think I’ve ever challenged or called you out on anything but Omax as a Justin replacement is an absolute joke. I hope you’re but but I do not see it. Omax can barley dribble the ball

Did you watch him play last year? He's more than an adequate ball handler.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #909 on: April 15, 2022, 08:51:06 AM »
Did you watch him play last year? He's more than an adequate ball handler.

Every minute of every game
Bring back FFP!!!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #910 on: April 15, 2022, 08:55:03 AM »
I think OMax has a high ceiling, but I am not expecting him to come close to Justin's level of production next year.  I think the biggest year to year growth will either come from Stevie (because he looked like he was starting to really figure things out at the end of the season), or Kolek (because if he develops even a halfway respectable floater or mid-range game and teams have to respect him for that, it will re-open a lot of the passing lanes that got cut off as the season went along).

panda

• All American
« Reply #911 on: April 15, 2022, 08:57:50 AM »
Every minute of every game

Then you're either very poor at evaluating a very simplistic skill set like dribbling or you have a very selective memory.

He was extremely poor early on in the season but greatly improved as the season progressed. He's not expected to have a guards handle but he's capable of starting a fast break from a defensive rebound and several occasions went coast to coast after a board. He proved himself good off the bounce in the half court as well.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #912 on: April 15, 2022, 09:28:41 AM »
In his first year at Marquette, O-Max was a better shooter from two, from three, and from the line than Justin. In terms of ballhandling, he turned it over at a lower rate as well. He was also far more efficient in more minutes. And while it's harder to statistically quantify, he was a much better defender.

O-Max is not as good a rebounder, and age-wise is 10 months and one college year older than Justin at the same point, but I think a reasonably similar improvement is certainly plausible. And if O-Max were to improve from year one to year two at Marquette to a similar degree Justin did, he would likely be a significantly better player next year than Justin was this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #913 on: April 15, 2022, 09:39:18 AM »
swoopem

I think a year from now we are going to be on Omax watch in regard to the NBA. As noted by other posters, his ball handling improved a great deal once he slowed himself down. If I were Shaka, I would be focusing on a Omax replacement for this upcoming season rather than a Justin replacement. I firmly believe that he is going to be a very, very good player at MU next season. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #914 on: April 15, 2022, 09:42:29 AM »
There is a lot to love about Omax game. He certainly has to prove he can put it together but its there.

He can be elite in transition.

Hes got the ability to work the ball into the middle of the paint. Just gotta learn to control himself.

Very good free throw shooter because he has a good stroke. Which I am hoping will help his 3pt% improve. A bigger role and hopefully being a better player will help him get to the line more too.

Im certainly not predicting a 17 and 8 campaign.

But he could really surprise next year. A lot of if's in his game, but all very reasonable if's.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #915 on: April 15, 2022, 10:08:02 AM »
swoopem

I think a year from now we are going to be on Omax watch in regard to the NBA. As noted by other posters, his ball handling improved a great deal once he slowed himself down. If I were Shaka, I would be focusing on a Omax replacement for this upcoming season rather than a Justin replacement. I firmly believe that he is going to be a very, very good player at MU next season.

Absolutely agree.  He is incredibly athletic.  Once he develops a little more control and the game slows for him he has a very high ceiling.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #916 on: April 15, 2022, 10:50:37 AM »
Really fun numbers below from Zach Wrightsil from his Freshman season. I get it...the competition is lower, but there are still a lot of good players around the country outside of D1. Check these numbers out!

"His 632 points scored rank third-most in a single season in Loyola history … Ranks second in program history in assists in a single season with 143 dimes … Tied for third-most rebounds in a single season with 287 boards."

A forward that rebounds and is an exceptional distributor. Pretty similar playing style to Oso but a much wider frame.
VIOLENCE!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #917 on: April 15, 2022, 11:18:41 AM »
swoopem

Not a chance.

I don't completely disagree on your assessment of OMax' abilities, but he is in no way going to be ready by the end of next year. Possibly by after his junior year, but realistically after his senior year. Skills are there, but basketball knowledge has a long way to go.

Realistically, I am hoping for a 12/6 year from him next year.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #918 on: April 15, 2022, 11:30:40 AM »
jockey

I think Omax has a far higher ceiling than Lewis does and that is why I believe he will be weighing his options a year from now. If Lewis is going pro based off of a NBA looking develop him, the same will hold true for Omax. Watching him go coast to coast a couple of times late in the season is all I needed to see on upside potential.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #919 on: April 15, 2022, 11:32:28 AM »
Not a chance.

I don't completely disagree on your assessment of OMax' abilities, but he is in no way going to be ready by the end of next year. Possibly by after his junior year, but realistically after his senior year. Skills are there, but basketball knowledge has a long way to go.

Realistically, I am hoping for a 12/6 year from him next year.

Ok, now can we all take a second to take this in and appreciate development.

In week 2 of the season there were a lot of people that wanted OMax stapled to the bench and now we are talking about him averaging 12 and 6 next year and considering options towards the NBA in a year, or 2, or 3.

Development at its finest.
VIOLENCE!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #920 on: April 15, 2022, 11:37:00 AM »
golden

I did not want him benched, I wanted him to get more playing time from day one. Only a guess, but his numbers this year were based off of playing more or less half of the game. I think 12 and 6 are going to be light in his numbers next year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #921 on: April 15, 2022, 11:42:47 AM »
Ok, now can we all take a second to take this in and appreciate development.

In week 2 of the season there were a lot of people that wanted OMax stapled to the bench and now we are talking about him averaging 12 and 6 next year and considering options towards the NBA in a year, or 2, or 3.

Development at its finest.
To be fair, at different times there were threads stapling every player to the bench.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #922 on: April 15, 2022, 11:48:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/dariusjoshuatv/status/1514311512323731466?s=21&t=o8QUSZTsGsd9RKg-i5js6A

Can't believe this interview was missed.    Do not look for a big splash transfer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #923 on: April 15, 2022, 12:14:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/dariusjoshuatv/status/1514311512323731466?s=21&t=o8QUSZTsGsd9RKg-i5js6A

Can't believe this interview was missed.    Do not look for a big splash transfer.
Shaka talks recruiting philosophy, high school vs transfer portal.

https://twitter.com/DariusJoshuaTV/status/1514311512323731466?t=sOdughIy86x7OicWjbK2RA&s=19

After hearing this, I think Wrightsil will be our only portal addition this year.  If Lewis stays in the draft, his spot might go unfilled.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #924 on: April 15, 2022, 12:21:27 PM »
oops