[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219643 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #875 on: April 14, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »
lawdog

So, I guess we should not be holding out hope that Ramey ends up at MU.
Ramey was not the best player on his team last year. Also too lazy to look, but how many transfers have been drafted in the past 5 years?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 12:33:07 PM by lawdog77 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #876 on: April 14, 2022, 12:29:37 PM »
TwoWords

I am with TAMU on being optimistic person by nature, but I think Lewis is gone for good. As for my optimistic side, I believe Shaka will have a better player in that spot this upcoming season.
We're getting something better than 1st Team All-BE and potential BEPOY? That's good to know.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #877 on: April 14, 2022, 12:54:44 PM »
Smith

We may already have the guy on the team. I believe Omax is going to have a breakout year next season. If that is the case, we need to upgrade the role filled by Omax this season.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #878 on: April 14, 2022, 12:55:29 PM »
Goose may have picked up some new hallucinogens...

We're getting something better than 1st Team All-BE and potential BEPOY? That's good to know.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #879 on: April 14, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
Point

Someone on here said after the UNC game that if the two teams were playing pickup basketball and picking teams, the first three, possibly four picks would be UNC guys and I agree with that. If that really is the case, I will take my chances on finding a comparable or better replacement for Lewis.

panda

• All American
« Reply #880 on: April 14, 2022, 01:05:40 PM »
Ramey was not the best player on his team last year. Also too lazy to look, but how many transfers have been drafted in the past 5 years?

Just last year in the first round….

Davion Mitchell
Chris Duarte
Trey Murphy
Quentin Grimes

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #881 on: April 14, 2022, 01:15:54 PM »
Just last year in the first round….

Davion Mitchell
Chris Duarte
Trey Murphy
Quentin Grimes
None of them were the best player on their pre transfer teams. My point is, if you are P-6, are the best player on your team, you are either going pro, or staying where you are.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #882 on: April 14, 2022, 01:24:12 PM »
Goose - NC has some players, that for sure.  Assuming JL would be the fourth pick, then likely 4 more UNC players, Shaka needs a whole lot more players.

But I don't get the "I will take my chances on finding a comparable or better replacement for Lewis."   

Is there a tree somewhere growing 1st team BE players that want to play in Milwaukee that only Shaka knows of?   And if so, why can't Shaka get 6 or 7 players better than JL?  Why settle for one?

Point

Someone on here said after the UNC game that if the two teams were playing pickup basketball and picking teams, the first three, possibly four picks would be UNC guys and I agree with that. If that really is the case, I will take my chances on finding a comparable or better replacement for Lewis.

panda

• All American
« Reply #883 on: April 14, 2022, 01:34:54 PM »
None of them were the best player on their pre transfer teams. My point is, if you are P-6, are the best player on your team, you are either going pro, or staying where you are.

Oscar Tshiebwe, Jack Nunge, Alondes Williams, Colin Castleton, Brady Manek, Alfonso Plummer, Kyler Edwards, Timmy Allen, Andrew Nemhard etc.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #884 on: April 14, 2022, 01:38:27 PM »
Just to play devil's advocate, if Justin is gone (and I expect he is) I believe his replacement is already here and, especially considering his comments on transfers yesterday, they won't be looking to make radical changes through the portal.

Shaka's comments about transfers needing to fit the program and the advantage of moldable players (he cited Emarion Ellis) reminded me of last year's "All culture for the first two years." It feels like short-term winning is secondary to creating a sustainable, long-term culture of success. I think he's looking at programs like Villanova, Baylor, and Gonzaga as models for success where they got the right guys in to win and while they clearly still valued talent, it was getting the most talented players that fit that culture, with talent being disregarded if it doesn't match up with the long-term goals of the program.

If you're hoping to see Justin replaced with Kendric Davis or someone of that ilk, I think you'll be disappointed. I think it's more likely we'll see Joplin and O-Max given that additional offensive freedom because those are the guys that will be leading this team in the years to come and setting the table for what Smart wants the program to be not just in a year or two, but in a decade or two.

Joplin had all of the offensive freedom in the world last year, and the results were questionable at best. Unless you are projecting for a lot of growth. Do not be surprised if Wrightsil or Gold to out play him.

panda

• All American
« Reply #885 on: April 14, 2022, 01:42:43 PM »
Joplin had all of the offensive freedom in the world last year, and the results were questionable at best. Unless you are projecting for a lot of growth. Do not be surprised if Wrightsil or Gold to out play him.

*In limited action.

It's so tough for a guy like Joplin to come in and knock down shots playing such inconsistent minutes. Extended minutes will be a revelation for him. He's a really, really good scorer.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #886 on: April 14, 2022, 01:44:40 PM »

I mean...does anyone that plays less than 7 mpg really have "all of the offensive freedom in the world"?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #887 on: April 14, 2022, 01:46:15 PM »
I mean...does anyone that plays less than 7 mpg really have "all of the offensive freedom in the world"?

He did have a green light - but coming in cold, missing a shot or two in his three minutes of action and then sitting the rest of the game makes some think negatively of him. I love his offensive game and am very excited for big things next year in more minutes. Much more concerned with his defensive awareness than his offensive game.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #888 on: April 14, 2022, 01:48:53 PM »

I mean, he shot the ball 26% of the time he touched it. More than anyone not named Justin.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #889 on: April 14, 2022, 01:50:46 PM »
Oscar Tshiebwe, Jack Nunge, Alondes Williams, Colin Castleton, Brady Manek, Alfonso Plummer, Kyler Edwards, Timmy Allen, Andrew Nemhard etc.
How many of those were the best player on their pretransfer teams. Tshiebwe averaged 8 points a game his last year at WVU. Nunge  was behind garza. Williams averaged 6 pts a game.Castlerton averaged 3 pts a game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #890 on: April 14, 2022, 01:52:55 PM »
How many of those were the best player on their pretransfer teams. Tshiebwe averaged 8 points a game his last year at WVU. Nunge  was behind garza. Williams averaged 6 pts a game.Castlerton averaged 3 pts a game.

So you want to know how many players are the best player at their power 5 school, then transfer to another power 5 school and are the best player at that school, and then get drafted after that?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #891 on: April 14, 2022, 01:53:53 PM »
I mean, he shot the ball 26% of the time he touched it. More than anyone not named Justin.

He shot it a lot when he was in there, and when they were shots the staff didn't like, immediately got pulled, which is part of why he played 6.9 mpg. He clearly has a scorer's mentality and is encouraged to hunt shots, but usage alone doesn't tell the story when the guy played the fewest minutes of anyone that could be considered a rotation player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #892 on: April 14, 2022, 01:55:29 PM »
So you want to know how many players are the best player at their power 5 school, then transfer to another power 5 school and are the best player at that school, and then get drafted after that?
they dont have to be the best player at their new school, best player at old p6 school, no coaching change, and transfer.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #893 on: April 14, 2022, 01:58:48 PM »
He did have a green light - but coming in cold, missing a shot or two in his three minutes of action and then sitting the rest of the game makes some think negatively of him. I love his offensive game and am very excited for big things next year in more minutes. Much more concerned with his defensive awareness than his offensive game.

Yep. Except his adjusted offense was worse than anyone, expect EE, when filtering out garbage time and when not.

Filtering out garbage time again, with David on the court MU was 93rd in adjusted offense 184th in adjusted defense. With David off the court MU was 75th in adjO and 39th in adjD.

I just see him having less of an impact baring a major change on the defensive side of the ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #894 on: April 14, 2022, 02:00:29 PM »
they dont have to be the best player at their new school, best player at old p6 school, no coaching change, and transfer.

Lol sorry I missed your 27 qualifiers before I responded.

In general and in this day and age, it's very commonplace for good players to leave power6 schools and transfer to other p6 schools.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #895 on: April 14, 2022, 02:03:46 PM »
Lol sorry I missed your 27 qualifiers before I responded.

In general and in this day and age, it's very commonplace for good players to leave power6 schools and transfer to other p6 schools.,
its only 3. I am saying its not commonplace for the star of a p6 team to transfer without a coaching change. I cant think of any.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #896 on: April 14, 2022, 02:10:04 PM »
its only 3. I am saying its not commonplace for the star of a p6 team to transfer without a coaching change. I cant think of any.

There was a coaching change since Justin committed to Marquette.  He chose to stick it out and play at Marquette for the new coach.  He blew up and now he has a lot better options than he might've had last year.  If he chooses to return to college basketball, he'll have the opportunity to get a lot more in NIL for a better team than Marquette next year, if those are things that he'd be looking for.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #897 on: April 14, 2022, 02:14:08 PM »
There was a coaching change since Justin committed to Marquette.  He chose to stick it out and play at Marquette for the new coach.  He blew up and now he has a lot better options than he might've had last year.  If he chooses to return to college basketball, he'll have the opportunity to get a lot more in NIL for a better team than Marquette next year, if those are things that he'd be looking for.
He would be the first to do it. Best player , no immediate coaching change, declares for draft, goes back to school, transfers. I would be shocked if he transfers schools.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #898 on: April 14, 2022, 03:11:20 PM »
He would be the first to do it. Best player , no immediate coaching change, declares for draft, goes back to school, transfers. I would be shocked if he transfers schools.

James Akinjo did it two years ago.

Remy Martin just did it last year.

Sahvir Wheeler just did it last year.

Transfers being immediately eligible just became a thing this past year.  If a guy's a borderline Draft pick, he isn't going to sit out a season of basketball transferring, so yeah it wasn't very common prior to last year.  Nor was making money as a college athlete, where different schools will be able to give you better opportunities to make money.  The circumstances are vastly different now.  Last year you had a ton of guys who both declared for the NBA Draft and entered the transfer portal.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 03:23:09 PM by wadesworld »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #899 on: April 14, 2022, 03:23:09 PM »
James Akinjo did it two years ago.

Remy Martin just did it last year.

Sahvir Wheeler just did it last year.

Transfers being immediately eligible just became a thing this past year.  If a guy's a borderline Draft pick, he isn't going to sit out a season of basketball transferring, so yeah it wasn't very common prior to last year.  Nor was making money as a college athlete, where different schools will be able to give you better opportunities to make money.  The circumstances are vastly different now.  Last year you had a ton of guys who both declared for the NBA Draft and entered the transfer portal.
Akinjo had a coaching change at Arizona.  Remy Martin is one. He entered the transfer portal not too long after declaring for the draft, so we will see if Justin enters the portal.

feedback