'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219569 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #625 on: April 07, 2022, 09:12:23 AM »
Texas transfer Courtney Ramey is receiving interest from the following programs, per his father:

UConn
Missouri
Marquette
Kentucky
Villanova
Western Kentucky
Ohio
Murray State
DePaul
Gonzaga
Cal
Maryland
UNLV
TCU
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Wisconsin
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #626 on: April 07, 2022, 09:36:41 AM »
This thread shows why using the transfer portal as a key piece to build your roster is going to be very hard for Marquette to do.  If you're a mid or low major player putting up huge numbers, every program in the country will be after you.  If you're a high major player putting up role player numbers, every program in the country still is after you (Theo John is an example of this).  If you're a Theo John type of player and you're fine not being the star of a team, you can go play at a blue blood.  If you're a Jamal Cain type of player and want to be featured more, you'll just transfer down a couple levels and be a star in your league.

Even with the clear connection of Shaka, it's going to be really hard to land Ramey when programs like Kentucky, Villanova, and Gonzaga are knocking on his door.

Just a tough place to try to build your roster.  Think for Marquette it has to be used more to fill a position of need with a role guy than try to get your best players, at least if you want to compete in the Big East.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #627 on: April 07, 2022, 09:37:31 AM »
Texas transfer Courtney Ramey is receiving interest from the following programs, per his father:

UConn
Missouri
Marquette
Kentucky
Villanova
Western Kentucky
Ohio
Murray State
DePaul
Gonzaga
Cal
Maryland
UNLV
TCU
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Wisconsin
We are closer to Villanova than DePaul on this list

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #628 on: April 07, 2022, 09:40:39 AM »
We are closer to Villanova than DePaul on this list

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #629 on: April 07, 2022, 09:42:10 AM »
This thread shows why using the transfer portal as a key piece to build your roster is going to be very hard for Marquette to do.  If you're a mid or low major player putting up huge numbers, every program in the country will be after you.  If you're a high major player putting up role player numbers, every program in the country still is after you (Theo John is an example of this).  If you're a Theo John type of player and you're fine not being the star of a team, you can go play at a blue blood.  If you're a Jamal Cain type of player and want to be featured more, you'll just transfer down a couple levels and be a star in your league.

Even with the clear connection of Shaka, it's going to be really hard to land Ramey when programs like Kentucky, Villanova, and Gonzaga are knocking on his door.

Just a tough place to try to build your roster.  Think for Marquette it has to be used more to fill a position of need with a role guy than try to get your best players, at least if you want to compete in the Big East.

Marquette had one of the better portals in all of college basketball last year with Morsell, Kuath, Prosper, and Kolek.

The only reason it won't be like that this year is because there are less spots. Shaka knows what he is doing and how to get good talent.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #630 on: April 07, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »
Marquette had one of the better portals in all of college basketball last year with Morsell, Kuath, Prosper, and Kolek.

The only reason it won't be like that this year is because there are less spots. Shaka knows what he is doing and how to get good talent.

Eh.  We'll see.  Maybe Prosper explodes like some thing he will, but I have my doubts that any of those guys are very All Conference type players.  Morsell is the only one I'm certain should be a key piece on a high major contender.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #631 on: April 07, 2022, 09:45:30 AM »
I feel like being listed with Ramey means one of two things. Either we are making the courtesy call given Shaka's history with him as a player and this isn't very serious interest or this is serious interest and someone is leaving that we aren't yet aware of.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #632 on: April 07, 2022, 09:50:57 AM »
Eh.  We'll see.  Maybe Prosper explodes like some thing he will, but I have my doubts that any of those guys are very All Conference type players.  Morsell is the only one I'm certain should be a key piece on a high major contender.

What do you mean, eh?

4 starters.  Kuath was near the top of the league in blocks. Kolek lead the league in assists. Morsell was all Big East caliber. Prosper developed quite well.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #633 on: April 07, 2022, 09:52:30 AM »
What do you mean, eh?

4 starters.  Kuath was near the top of the league in blocks. Kolek lead the league in assists. Morsell was all Big East caliber. Prosper developed quite well.

You just defined my "eh" for me.  A lot of one trick ponies who shouldn't be starting for your team if you want to be making NCAA Tournament runs.  At least not as they were last year.  Maybe they develop into that type of player, but outside of Morsell, none of those guys were what you need from a starter on a contender.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #634 on: April 07, 2022, 10:05:50 AM »
I feel like being listed with Ramey means one of two things. Either we are making the courtesy call given Shaka's history with him as a player and this isn't very serious interest or this is serious interest and someone is leaving that we aren't yet aware of.

Sort of where I am at right now. Reaching out to Pack and Ramey were interesting developments to me. Makes me think it's the latter. Let the rampant speculation begin (continue?).
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #635 on: April 07, 2022, 10:11:08 AM »

I lean courtesy. I heard Mizzou was the favorite when he entered.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #636 on: April 07, 2022, 11:12:02 AM »
Nevada transfer Warren Washington tells us he is now focusing on:

Marquette
SDSU
Arizona State
LSU
Arkansas
Notre Dame
Florida

The 7’0” big man averaged 10.5 points and 6.6 rebounds this year.
VIOLENCE!

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #637 on: April 07, 2022, 11:15:14 AM »

Marquette
SDSU
Arizona State
LSU
Arkansas
Notre Dame
Florida

I like the order of that list  ;)

panda

• All American
« Reply #638 on: April 07, 2022, 11:17:48 AM »

Marquette
SDSU
Arizona State
LSU
Arkansas
Notre Dame
Florida

Would be a massive, massive get. Bates is a fine player and would be a good consolation, but Washington is a game changer.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #639 on: April 07, 2022, 11:19:42 AM »
Would be a massive, massive get. Bates is a fine player and would be a good consolation, but Washington is a game changer.

LSU and Florida have new coaches (which doesn't mean a whole lot, and Arkansas just got commitment from the Mitchell twins.

I like where Marquette stacks up here.
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #640 on: April 07, 2022, 11:21:43 AM »
Washinton and Oso could play together. Thats a separator for me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #641 on: April 07, 2022, 11:23:05 AM »

Marquette
SDSU
Arizona State
LSU
Arkansas
Notre Dame
Florida

I like this development. Of the guys we have offered, Washington is at the top of my wishlist for the our need at C. Grab him and retain Lewis and I really like what our roster looks like going into next season. Do those two things and land a guy like Pack or Ramey (which of course means losing someone else) and I love what our roster would look like.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #642 on: April 07, 2022, 11:23:15 AM »
What do you mean, eh?

4 starters…at Marquette, coming off a losing season.  I’m hopeful for next season. But you are more confident than me to this point.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #643 on: April 07, 2022, 11:26:58 AM »
The one school that kind of stands out to me for Warren Washington is San Diego State.  He grew up 30 miles north of the campus in Escondido, so that is something to consider.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #644 on: April 07, 2022, 11:28:55 AM »
4 starters…at Marquette, coming off a losing season.  I’m hopeful for next season. But you are more confident than me to this point.

That's the problem with this fanbase. Erase the recent Marquette past. How can you not be confident is Shaka?  He rebuilt a TERRIBLE team to make the NCAA Tournament in year 1. Players love playing for him. He is a proven winner in March and he is still the youngest coach in the Big East at just 44.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #645 on: April 07, 2022, 11:37:10 AM »

How can they play together?  Neither has attempted a 3 point shot in their careers.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #646 on: April 07, 2022, 11:41:02 AM »

Personal thought...scratch that, reverse it. Bates is perfect for our system and our biggest problem this year was running out two centers at 215 pounds, which is what Washington is. Give me a 230-240 pound guy that can bang down low, protect the rim, and finish. Health might be the question, but Bates is better at all of those things and did it at a higher level.

Neither can stretch the floor, so I can't see them on the floor together. The only way I think we see two bigs is if you end up with someone like Jake Stephens or Fardaws Aimaq that has shown some ability to hit the three.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #647 on: April 07, 2022, 11:42:52 AM »
Personal thought...scratch that, reverse it. Bates is perfect for our system and our biggest problem this year was running out two centers at 215 pounds, which is what Washington is. Give me a 230-240 pound guy that can bang down low, protect the rim, and finish. Health might be the question, but Bates is better at all of those things and did it at a higher level.

Neither can stretch the floor, so I can't see them on the floor together. The only way I think we see two bigs is if you end up with someone like Jake Stephens or Fardaws Aimaq that has shown some ability to hit the three.

Pretty certain Bates has recently relisted teams and Marquette wasn't one of them.
VIOLENCE!

panda

• All American
« Reply #648 on: April 07, 2022, 12:00:29 PM »

Having watched both many times, Washington is twice the player Bates is. Point to his body stats all you want, but he is far from the portrayal you’re thinking of.

They’re both good defenders and rim protectors, but Washington is a dog on the glass. Eats up rebounds. Bates is a one dimensional scorer on offense, reliant others to score (dump offs/o board put backs). Washington is versatile offensively and can score multiple different ways down low.

Forgot to mention - Nevada plays really fast and Washington fits in well with the pace. NC State, not so much.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 02:09:16 PM by panda »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #649 on: April 07, 2022, 12:24:15 PM »
Pretty certain Bates has recently relisted teams and Marquette wasn't one of them.

A couple lists came out within the first two days of him announcing his transfer. It's been pretty quiet since then, so I wouldn't take us out of the mix. Visiting LSU today, but otherwise nothing new since the first of the month.

feedback