[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219417 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #550 on: April 01, 2022, 11:33:32 AM »
Getting Pack would be huge. PG might not be a priority, but if he becomes your best player, you have to add him.
And wouldn't Pack play SG? If Lewis decides to stay and Shaka lands Pack, the outlook for next season is drastically better. I'm not counting on either, however.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #551 on: April 01, 2022, 11:35:00 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how it could work. No way we can accommodate both Ramey and Pack.  I'm assuming Justin is here, they'd have to send Ellis to the portal because we NEED a 2nd center. Maybe move Kolek back to the 2 and focus on shooting and run Pack/Jones at the 1?

Pack/S. Jones
Kolek/K. Jones/Mitchell
Lewis/Joplin/Ross
Prosper/Gold/Itejere
Ighodaro/Transfer

The liklihood of Pack and Ramey both wanting to come and Lewis staying is basically 0.

But in that scenario. You make room however necessary.

I like the young bucks we got, but with portal ball things are always reloadable. You play to win now. Pack/Ramey/Lewis would be an elite trio.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #552 on: April 01, 2022, 11:36:43 AM »
Give me a backcourt of Ramey and Pack.  Yes please.

Then drop the bag for Lewis to return and let's roll.

"Lets upgrade our deepest positions by recruiting over some of our most promising talent and disregard our true need in the frontcourt"

Im all for upgrading the talent but I think people are going to be sorely disappointed if we're already trying to figure out how to fit in the best player in the portal into our squad. Think back to what we landed last year in the portal. Ended up being good players but none in the top 50. I think that's a much more realistic barometer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 11:46:10 AM by Tha Hound »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #553 on: April 01, 2022, 11:46:37 AM »
Ya exactly the Carter to Perez comparisons are just bad and lazy because both guys are a little thicker...Perez couldn't jump over an encyclopedia while Carter throw down with ease...and like you said the competition they've gone against before transferring isn't even close

build whatever narrative you'd like

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #554 on: April 01, 2022, 11:51:10 AM »
If MU somehow landed both Ramey and Pack, they’d lose a few unexpected guys (like Mitchell) I think. Probably be better next season, but then in 2023-2024 we would need to fill more holes.

I think you try and put your best team on the floor each and every year. Building a team over multiple years seems too risky nowadays.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 11:54:15 AM by CountryRoads »

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #555 on: April 01, 2022, 11:54:12 AM »
If MU somehow landed both Ramey and Pack, they’d lose a few unexpected guys (like Mitchell) I think.

I wouldn't want to lose 3 years of Stevie Mitchell for 1 year of Ramey. Just my opinion. 

However, I think given the connection and need on the roster, Ramey fits better than Pack at this point in time.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #556 on: April 01, 2022, 12:14:57 PM »
"Lets upgrade our deepest positions by recruiting over some of our most promising talent and disregard our true need in the frontcourt"

Im all for upgrading the talent but I think people are going to be sorely disappointed if we're already trying to figure out how to fit in the best player in the portal into our squad. Think back to what we landed last year in the portal. Ended up being good players but none in the top 50. I think that's a much more realistic barometer.

Our backcourt got completely owned in an 8/9 matchup. We need a ton better play out of our backcourt next year. If it comes from improvement from our current players, awesome. It’ll take monumental improvement, but it’s possible.

But right now I’d take guys that have proven it at a high major level already if they want to come to MU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #557 on: April 01, 2022, 12:19:51 PM »
I'd take Bates or Washington first.  Then one of Pack or Ramey, since I assume MU will have at least 2 openings.

Either Pack or Ramey can play next to Kolek.  I'm in favor of playing two PG together as long as one is 6-3, like Kolek.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #558 on: April 01, 2022, 01:02:52 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how it could work. No way we can accommodate both Ramey and Pack.  I'm assuming Justin is here, they'd have to send Ellis to the portal because we NEED a 2nd center. Maybe move Kolek back to the 2 and focus on shooting and run Pack/Jones at the 1?

Pack/S. Jones
Kolek/K. Jones/Mitchell
Lewis/Joplin/Ross
Prosper/Gold/Itejere
Ighodaro/Transfer
is Ellis a write-off? If Pack in, I don’t loose sleep if Kolek portaled

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #559 on: April 01, 2022, 01:15:25 PM »
is Ellis a write-off? If Pack in, I don’t loose sleep if Kolek portaled

I dont think Ellis is a write off at this moment. If they are serious about adding Pack or Hayes or any other good guard I think he'd be first on the list though.

The odds of the staff letting Kolek (who led the Big East in assists) the opportunity to leave seems low.  Remember he was the A10 Freshman of the Year for his scoring, that just wasn't his role this year.  He could still play the 2 as he did at George Mason.
VIOLENCE!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #560 on: April 01, 2022, 01:29:30 PM »
LSU is now down to zero scholarship players left on its roster from this past season.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #561 on: April 01, 2022, 01:44:39 PM »
LSU is now down to zero scholarship players left on its roster from this past season.
Turn's out Baton Rouge isn't a big draw when your players aren't getting 25-50K+ under the rug.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #562 on: April 01, 2022, 01:59:55 PM »
The odds of the staff letting Kolek (who led the Big East in assists) the opportunity to leave seems low.  Remember he was the A10 Freshman of the Year for his scoring, that just wasn't his role this year.  He could still play the 2 as he did at George Mason.

I like Tyler, but "for his scoring" sounds like he was a 20ppg guy. Kolek averaged 11ppg on 40% shooting (36% from 3) at the next level down. Stepping up a level with Marquette, opponents dared him to shoot, especially as the season progressed, and all of his scoring/shooting-related numbers fell significantly. Unless he improves tremendously, I wouldn't be thrilled asking him to be a 2 in the Big East, given that he'd also be tasked with defending opponents' talented 2s.

You might be right about Shaka not giving him the opportunity to leave, but the difference between Kolek and Ramey or Pack is huge.

Gonna be an interesting next several weeks.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #563 on: April 01, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »
From butlerguy03 on the holyland site-last part of a long post:

"Luko is a gigantic loss, but it's not like they were winning, so losing anyone is ok I guess. It would hurt more in a Murray State situation."

I cannot find anything to support that he is in the portal.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 02:08:37 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #564 on: April 01, 2022, 02:08:51 PM »
From butlerguy03 on the holyland site-last part of a long post:

"Luko is a gigantic loss, but it's not like they were winning, so losing anyone is ok I guess. It would hurt more in a Murray State situation."

I cannot find anything to support this.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1509958866062221321?t=vw1DUQgmW1NN0EptMNAgVg&s=19

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #566 on: April 01, 2022, 02:23:54 PM »
I like Tyler, but "for his scoring" sounds like he was a 20ppg guy. Kolek averaged 11ppg on 40% shooting (36% from 3) at the next level down. Stepping up a level with Marquette, opponents dared him to shoot, especially as the season progressed, and all of his scoring/shooting-related numbers fell significantly. Unless he improves tremendously, I wouldn't be thrilled asking him to be a 2 in the Big East, given that he'd also be tasked with defending opponents' talented 2s.

You might be right about Shaka not giving him the opportunity to leave, but the difference between Kolek and Ramey or Pack is huge.

Gonna be an interesting next several weeks.

I'd be happy if Kolek would make his layups
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #567 on: April 01, 2022, 03:42:14 PM »
The transfer portal has to be a bitch for coaches to work. In Shaka's case, he has, I think, just one open spot right now or two spots if Justin leaves. Obviously, he needs a rebounding, rim protecting 5 who can score a bit. But, if Justin leaves, then you either have to find another scoring, rebounding wing or trust that Joplin and Omax can fill that role. But, by the time you get a decision from Justin, the guys you may have wanted to pursue in the portal may be committed elsewhere. Or, you may think you are covering your needs and then suddenly two guys like Joplin and Ellis decide they are going into the portal and you have one or two openings you were not planning on. Of course, every coach is in this same position. The transfer portal seems like a chaotic mess.

Someone mentioned in another thread that Shaka might have to encourage Ellis to enter the portal. I don't see that happening at all. Shaka recruited him to Texas and then got Ellis to come with him to MU. I don't think he is going to recruit over him now. Shaka does not impress me as that kind of guy. The pressure to win is huge, but I think Shaka places more emphasis on relationships than that.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #568 on: April 01, 2022, 04:13:58 PM »
Ellis comes from a tough upbringing. I would bet he thinks of Shaka as a father figure.  He might see some action next year but more likely as a junior.  In saying that, he probably will be gone next week

Viper

• All American
« Reply #569 on: April 01, 2022, 04:14:53 PM »
My gut says the team remains intact (Justin included), Shaka has two recruits incoming, hence he’s looking for a big. Plus, the kid that rs’d might be good, and possibly Ellis takes a step up. If this is the case, outlook is ok.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #570 on: April 01, 2022, 04:16:28 PM »
Always Be Recruiting. Period. If it ends up leading to some roster "chaos," oh well.

As for Simas Lukosius ... he showed some flashes this season, and I think he's gonna be a real good player. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #571 on: April 01, 2022, 06:14:48 PM »
Just a wild guess - Once Fresno State wins whatever championship they’re playing in, Orlando Robinson will become the most sought after transfer in the portal. He will have a Tshiebwe type impact for a blue blood.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #572 on: April 01, 2022, 06:29:44 PM »
Just a wild guess - Once Fresno State wins whatever championship they’re playing in, Orlando Robinson will become the most sought after transfer in the portal. He will have a Tshiebwe type impact for a blue blood.

Are we sure he’s staying in college? I thought he was a pretty consensus early to mid 2nd rounder?

panda

• All American
« Reply #573 on: April 01, 2022, 06:30:57 PM »
Are we sure he’s staying in college? I thought he was a pretty consensus early to mid 2nd rounder?

No clue - selfishly I’d love to see him at a big time program next season.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #574 on: April 01, 2022, 09:06:40 PM »
My gut says the team remains intact (Justin included), Shaka has two recruits incoming, hence he’s looking for a big. Plus, the kid that rs’d might be good, and possibly Ellis takes a step up. If this is the case, outlook is ok.

3 recruits not 2
VIOLENCE!

feedback