[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219423 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2022, 04:40:35 PM »
But hopefully better rebounders.

Hopefully...but those expecting good rebounding under Shaka are likely to be disappointed. Shaka hasn't had a team finish in the top 145 for defensive rebounding% EVER in 13 seasons of coaching. He hasn't a had a team finish in the top 70 for offensive rebounding since his VCU days. Poor rebounding is not a one year glitch, it's a feature of Shaka's system.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #276 on: March 27, 2022, 07:15:35 PM »
Just curious. In reading this, it sounds like the visit to FSU was recently? And that he had scheduled visits with Ole Miss and MU but now a decision might be coming before those?

If so, seems like FSU might be the choice.

This is the exact quote.

Those close to the situation feel Florida State, Ole Miss, and Marquette are the three schools toward the top of his list.

Going into his Florida State visit, Jaylan Gainey had future visits set with Ole Miss and Marquette. We will see if those happen after this weekend, as On3 expects a decision to come early this week.

Seems like one we can maybe move on from based off the wording there. Florida State would appear to be the choice.
VIOLENCE!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2022, 10:17:17 PM »
Hopefully...but those expecting good rebounding under Shaka are likely to be disappointed. Shaka hasn't had a team finish in the top 145 for defensive rebounding% EVER in 13 seasons of coaching. He hasn't a had a team finish in the top 70 for offensive rebounding since his VCU days. Poor rebounding is not a one year glitch, it's a feature of Shaka's system.

I'm not expecting great rebounding, but the defensive rebounding has to at least be better than terrible, which it was this year.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2022, 07:29:33 AM »
I'm not expecting great rebounding, but the defensive rebounding has to at least be better than terrible, which it was this year.

I'm not expecting great rebounding either, but it would be nice if our guys at least try to be in a position to secure a rebound that is nowhere near the rim and elevate to get it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 07:43:14 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #279 on: March 28, 2022, 07:52:39 AM »
I just watch the fundamentals of Villanova's rebounding and it's incredible to me that you don't see it from more teams.  They are smaller than most teams they're going up against yet they compete on the boards because they know how to find their man, box out, and then go and get the basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #280 on: March 28, 2022, 08:36:37 AM »

While true, it certainly isn't typically true to this year's extent. I do think this year was an outlier. Offensive rebounding, this was more than 100 spots worse than his previous worst season. In his 12 years as a head coach, his teams were top-150 8 times and never worse than 218 (325 this year).

Defensive rebounding is less encouraging. This wasn't his worst (313 this year, 330 in 2020) but the 200-250 range is probably a bit more of a normal expectation. Still not great, though.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #281 on: March 28, 2022, 08:42:58 AM »
I just watch the fundamentals of Villanova's rebounding and it's incredible to me that you don't see it from more teams.  They are smaller than most teams they're going up against yet they compete on the boards because they know how to find their man, box out, and then go and get the basketball.

I saw a video of Villanova’s warmups from their last game and it’s crazy how much they focus on the fundamentals (jump stops, ball fakes, etc). It almost looked cheesy and overdone, but it clearly translates to the games and works. It’s amazing how so many other teams are so flawed when it comes to the fundamentals.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #282 on: March 28, 2022, 10:10:44 AM »
While true, it certainly isn't typically true to this year's extent. I do think this year was an outlier. Offensive rebounding, this was more than 100 spots worse than his previous worst season. In his 12 years as a head coach, his teams were top-150 8 times and never worse than 218 (325 this year).

Defensive rebounding is less encouraging. This wasn't his worst (313 this year, 330 in 2020) but the 200-250 range is probably a bit more of a normal expectation. Still not great, though.

Oh for sure. Shaka can and NEEDS to improve on the dismal rebounding performance this year. Just throwing it out there that we shouldn't expect to ever be an elite or even a very good rebounding team under Shaka. Good thing is we don't need to be. If we have high efficiency scoring/low efficiency opponent scoring paired with low turnovers/high forced turnovers, we just need the rebounding to be okay in order to be successful.
TAMU

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #283 on: March 28, 2022, 10:25:13 AM »
Oh for sure. Shaka can and NEEDS to improve on the dismal rebounding performance this year. Just throwing it out there that we shouldn't expect to ever be an elite or even a very good rebounding team under Shaka. Good thing is we don't need to be. If we have high efficiency scoring/low efficiency opponent scoring paired with low turnovers/high forced turnovers, we just need the rebounding to be okay in order to be successful.

If I am recalling correctly from a PaintTouches thread (let me know if I am off), improving on defensive rebounding was the big key--or I have that reversed.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2022, 10:30:17 AM »
If I am recalling correctly from a PaintTouches thread (let me know if I am off), improving on defensive rebounding was the big key--or I have that reversed.

I'm sure it was. Been discussed a lot this year. Rob Lowe from Cracked Sidewalks in particular harps on this, and justifiably so.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »

There probably was a thread about it. When you break down basketball to its nuts and bolts there are really only 11 statistics that play a role in the outcome of the game (10 of them are 5 pairs of offensive/defensive splits of the same stat). Defensive rebounding% is tied (with offensive rebounding %) for the 5th most important of those 11 statistics (and the bottom 3 are almost meaningless in impact). You win the top 4, and you really have to F up the bottom 7 in order to lose a basketball game.
TAMU

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2022, 10:50:17 AM »
To me the most important thing you need to do to win a basketball game is to score more points than you allow your opponent to score.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2022, 10:55:27 AM »
To me the most important thing you need to do to win a basketball game is to score more points than you allow your opponent to score.

Can you please stop it with your "advanced stats" please?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2022, 12:00:09 PM »

Yep, and there are many ways that you can accomplish that outcome and 11 significant ways to measure those different ways of scoring more points!
TAMU

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2022, 12:32:51 PM »
There probably was a thread about it. When you break down basketball to its nuts and bolts there are really only 11 statistics that play a role in the outcome of the game (10 of them are 5 pairs of offensive/defensive splits of the same stat). Defensive rebounding% is tied (with offensive rebounding %) for the 5th most important of those 11 statistics (and the bottom 3 are almost meaningless in impact). You win the top 4, and you really have to F up the bottom 7 in order to lose a basketball game.
Where do free throws rank?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2022, 01:11:52 PM »
BREAKING: Davidson’s Michael Jones is in the transfer portal.

The 6’5” junior guard averaged 12 points , 3.6 rebounds, and 2 assists per game. Shot 46% from the field, and 42% from 3.

Per PortalUpdates on Twitter.
VIOLENCE!

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2022, 01:17:03 PM »
No MU players in portal (yet).

That alone is some kind of achievement.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Goose

• All American
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2022, 01:25:33 PM »
PBR

I have been thinking the same thing. If everyone sticks around, I think it shows a great deal of progress in building a culture under Shaka. It would be surprising if we did not lose a guy or two, but the lack of urgency for guys to leave is encouraging to me.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #293 on: March 28, 2022, 01:29:50 PM »
Agreed

It helps that Shaka plays 9-10 deep

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #294 on: March 28, 2022, 01:30:39 PM »
I have long felt that I would be more surprised by having a transfer out than by having zero this year. I think the culture and buy-in is real, and the only guys slated to return that didn't have significant minutes were Itejere (redshirt) and Ellis (constantly hyped by staff).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #295 on: March 28, 2022, 01:36:28 PM »
Where do free throws rank?

Amount taken? 7th and 8th (Free Throw Rate and Free Throw Rate Allowed). Then there's a huge gap and then FT% and FT% Allowed are 2 of the bottom 3.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #296 on: March 28, 2022, 01:38:14 PM »
I have long felt that I would be more surprised by having a transfer out than by having zero this year. I think the culture and buy-in is real, and the only guys slated to return that didn't have significant minutes were Itejere (redshirt) and Ellis (constantly hyped by staff).

Are you counting Greg in this?  Because I'd be floored if he returned. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #297 on: March 28, 2022, 01:44:25 PM »
I saw a video of Villanova’s warmups from their last game and it’s crazy how much they focus on the fundamentals (jump stops, ball fakes, etc). It almost looked cheesy and overdone, but it clearly translates to the games and works. It’s amazing how so many other teams are so flawed when it comes to the fundamentals.

Looks cheesy, but creates great habits.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #298 on: March 28, 2022, 01:46:08 PM »

I forget he still has eligibility.  He might be a MU student longer than I was.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2022, 01:50:09 PM »

I am not. Always thought of him like Darryl and Kur in that this was his last year. I know he could exercise his extra year, so I suppose he could transfer out, but either way I think he's done here.