[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 105381 times)

Mu8891

• All American
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #550 on: April 04, 2022, 12:04:27 PM »
I hope Gtown keeps Ewing …. Heck,

MU needs some team(s) to beat up on.

W / UCONN returning, and w / the coaches being upgraded the BE is better than it was just a few years ago.  MU needs to step it up.  Fast.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #551 on: April 04, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »
Western Michigan hiring former MU/Michigan State assistant Dwayne Stephens.

This is a bit surprising.  Would have thought he’d have had better opportunities prior to this
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #552 on: April 04, 2022, 12:46:50 PM »
No money for the buyout. Georgetown lost a boatload on COVID and isn't handing a check to a multi-millionaire without someone else footing the bill.

Makes sense, I just assumed that if Marquette can light money on fire to get rid of a coach that Georgetown and its wealthy alumni base and donors could as well.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #553 on: April 04, 2022, 12:49:29 PM »
This is a bit surprising.  Would have thought he’d have had better opportunities prior to this

I mean, you could have used the same logic with Wojo before he was hired at MU.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #554 on: April 04, 2022, 12:51:34 PM »
I mean, you could have used the same logic with Wojo before he was hired at MU.

I was equally surprised when Wojo got the Marquette job

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #555 on: April 04, 2022, 12:53:21 PM »
I was equally surprised when Wojo got the Marquette job

Something about guys who are assistants for 20 years doesn't exactly scream "good head coach", does it.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #556 on: April 04, 2022, 01:01:37 PM »
Something about guys who are assistants for 20 years doesn't exactly scream "good head coach", does it.

Tommy Lloyd's performance this year says otherwise.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #557 on: April 04, 2022, 01:03:25 PM »

Greg Gard and Tommy Lloyd seem to managing alright.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #558 on: April 04, 2022, 01:04:30 PM »

On the other hand, if he does well at Western Michigan, it puts him in the driver's seat to take over at State when Izzo retires in the next 3-5 years.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #559 on: April 04, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »
A couple of years ago, I read an article on him saying that he wasn't interested in mid-major jobs.  However his name hasn't seemed to be popping up for higher level gigs, so I wonder if he had changed his mind.  Or if Izzo wants to make a change.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #560 on: April 04, 2022, 01:39:21 PM »

No, I didn’t know he was interviewing for the gig in ‘14 nor did I expect him to leave Duke for Marquette.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #561 on: April 04, 2022, 02:12:50 PM »
Nolan Smith leaving Duke for Louisville. Looks like there will be another spot open on Duke’s bench. 👀

• All American
« Reply #562 on: April 04, 2022, 02:17:21 PM »
Nolan Smith leaving Duke for Louisville. Looks like there will be another spot open on Duke’s bench. 👀

Nolan Smith's dad Derek Smith was a teammate, and pretty much best friends with Kenny Payne. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #563 on: April 04, 2022, 02:54:24 PM »
With the BE's three new coaches, our conference has the promise of soon becoming more like the Big 12 with its impressive top to bottom strength (Georgetown aside). St. John's remains questionable but even Coach Blue! Blue! and his Demons cannot be no longer be taken as an easy win.

Your thoughts on how Shaka and his system will perform vs. Butler, Seton Hall, and Xaiver once the new coaches settle in this coming season and afterwards? I think Holloway is the most difficult new coach to figure out, but he obviously likes a highly disciplined style, or at least did at St. Peter's.

Several people have posted about the cannibalism inherent in an exceptionally strong top to bottom conference and pointed out how the bottom teams of the Big 12 have been saddled with records that, at first glance, are unimpressive. Looking 2-3 years down the road, which teams do you think will be perennial powers and which ones besides Georgetown will be in 8th-10th place?
Seton Hall- Willard had program going well  and Shaheen will likely continue on some level. So net neutral

Xavier - Steele recruited well but could not coach. Miller will bring program back to the Chris Mack level at a minimum . So Net upgrade

Butler- Very inconsistent under Jordan. Matta will bring consistent winning seasons .So net upgrade

The Big East could likely have a significant majority of the teams in the 9 to 11 win level in pre season which would ensure some high net rankings league wide going into conference play

Conference play will have very little dispersion with a lot of teams around .500

MU will need some big recruiting wins to maintain its position in the top half of the league

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #564 on: April 04, 2022, 03:34:37 PM »
Makes sense, I just assumed that if Marquette can light money on fire to get rid of a coach that Georgetown and its wealthy alumni base and donors could as well.
The base is burned out and many are simply washing their hands of all of it.

Next year could be worse and get a lot more personal towards Ewing, which Georgetown doesn't want to see exhibited in public.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 03:45:06 PM by DFW HOYA »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #565 on: April 04, 2022, 04:16:17 PM »
Seton Hall- Willard had program going well  and Shaheen will likely continue on some level. So net neutral

Xavier - Steele recruited well but could not coach. Miller will bring program back to the Chris Mack level at a minimum . So Net upgrade

Butler- Very inconsistent under Jordan. Matta will bring consistent winning seasons .So net upgrade

The Big East could likely have a significant majority of the teams in the 9 to 11 win level in pre season which would ensure some high net rankings league wide going into conference play

Conference play will have very little dispersion with a lot of teams around .500

MU will need some big recruiting wins to maintain its position in the top half of the league

Yeah, the conference will surely be stronger, especially when matched up with other majors. Agree that there will probably a traffic jam in conference standings with W/L records being fairly close for maybe about half the teams but that's not new.

I expect McDermott to continue to have solid teams as long as he stays on the plantation. I think Holloway will do well but time will tell. 

The expression "be careful what you wish for" is haunting me a bit as I've wanted the BE to become even stronger but the consequences of that are a much tougher road for Marquette.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #566 on: April 04, 2022, 04:23:35 PM »
Greg Gard and Tommy Lloyd seem to managing alright.

That Izzo guy's done OK, even if he miscalculated on Vanilla Soft Serve. Weber wasn't bad. Roy Williams was pretty good.

Obviously, plenty of long-time assistant coaches failed, too. Also, plenty of not-so-long-time assistant coaches failed.

Hell, a few here think Shaka already has failed at Marquette, and he was never an assistant at one place for more than 3 years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #567 on: April 04, 2022, 04:34:57 PM »
If Matta is committed, Butler is going to be a problem.

I really like Matta and he was he my first choice for the Marquette job (though it seems he wasn’t quite ready to get back to coaching yet).  Glad MU got Shaka, but Butler hit a home run with that hire.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #568 on: April 04, 2022, 04:39:00 PM »

Next year could be worse and get a lot more personal towards Ewing, which Georgetown doesn't want to see exhibited in public.

I try to be careful in replying to your posts as I do not want anything I write to be misconstrued even very slightly as mocking. I simply cannot imagine what it is like watching your entire program being destroyed after years of being a loyal fan. This goes well beyond Marquette's experience with Wojo.

Your thoughts about the article written anonymously by a former player? And your thoughts about the comments by smallmodularreactor on the holy land site? I'm amazed that anyone would not only hold Ewing blameless, but arrogantly ridicule anyone who challenges his narrative.

Many scoopers held out little hope that donor(s) would come up with the money to buy out Wojo. I know GT's bill is much larger, but I wonder if there are enough GT alums who would divvy up the tab for Ewing.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #569 on: April 04, 2022, 05:18:53 PM »
I really like Matta and he was he my first choice for the Marquette job (though it seems he wasn’t quite ready to get back to coaching yet).  Glad MU got Shaka, but Butler hit a home run with that hire.

Matta was ready last year but he was only interested in coaching at Butler. He was waiting for the job to come open
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #570 on: April 04, 2022, 05:25:42 PM »
Many scoopers held out little hope that donor(s) would come up with the money to buy out Wojo. I know GT's bill is much larger, but I wonder if there are enough GT alums who would divvy up the tab for Ewing.

I just googled and mistakenly thought Georgetown's endowment would be MUCH bigger than Marquette's.  Looks like it's value has actually be dropping and stood at just over $1 billion as of 2021.  Meanwhile Marquette's has been growing, and is just under a billion as of 2021.

Apparently choosing coaches isn't the only thing that Georgetown is doing wrong  ?-(

Edit: Everyone should check my work.  I was apparently reading the 2021 financial statement wrong, they claim the "Pooled Endowment" is around $2.5 billion.  Though only about 1 bil in assets available for current use.
https://georgetown.app.box.com/s/pki3gpz4t63ojsl7zuvannbc1hf4cr0c
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 05:38:15 PM by rocky_warrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #571 on: April 04, 2022, 05:50:52 PM »

Right, it gets impossible when your fans start to openly boo your coach.  Wojo heard the boos, Turgeon heard the boos... both got canned a few months later.

Could get ugly on the hill.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #572 on: April 05, 2022, 09:03:45 AM »
For those who really want to get into the deep weeds on endowments, check the table on the link below which reads "U.S. and Canadian 2021 NTSE Participating Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2021 Endowment Market Value, and Change in Market Value from FY20 to FY21 (PDF)"

https://www.nacubo.org/Research/2021/Public-NTSE-Tables#2021+NACUBO-TIAA+STUDY+OF+ENDOWMENTS+(NTSE)+RESULTS

• All American
« Reply #573 on: April 05, 2022, 09:39:55 AM »
I just googled and mistakenly thought Georgetown's endowment would be MUCH bigger than Marquette's.  Looks like it's value has actually be dropping and stood at just over $1 billion as of 2021.  Meanwhile Marquette's has been growing, and is just under a billion as of 2021.

Apparently choosing coaches isn't the only thing that Georgetown is doing wrong  ?-(

Edit: Everyone should check my work.  I was apparently reading the 2021 financial statement wrong, they claim the "Pooled Endowment" is around $2.5 billion.  Though only about 1 bil in assets available for current use.
https://georgetown.app.box.com/s/pki3gpz4t63ojsl7zuvannbc1hf4cr0c

Just because it is available for current use, that doesn't mean that it is easy to use those assets to buy out a basketball coach.  For instance, of the $2.5 billion in the endowment, $650M is designated endowment by the Board.  What does that mean?  It means that a donor did not restrict those assets to the endowment, but the Board has chosen to do so.  And if they Board wants to take that money out of the endowment, they can. 

But that doesn't mean they should.  It is very likely that those Board designated endowments are still supporting something.  And if you use that money to buy out a coach, you therefore have to find budget money annually to support what those (now smaller) endowments were funding.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #574 on: April 05, 2022, 09:45:46 AM »

Just because it is available for current use, that doesn't mean that it is easy to use those assets to buy out a basketball coach.  For instance, of the $2.5 billion in the endowment, $650M is designated endowment by the Board.  What does that mean?  It means that a donor did not restrict those assets to the endowment, but the Board has chosen to do so.  And if they Board wants to take that money out of the endowment, they can. 

But that doesn't mean they should.  It is very likely that those Board designated endowments are still supporting something.  And if you use that money to buy out a coach, you therefore have to find budget money annually to support what those (now smaller) endowments were funding.

Oh, I certainly didn't intend to imply they would use the endowment for buying out a coach, just using it as a measure of the financial wellbeing and ability of their big donors vs Marquette. 

feedback