[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 105393 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #525 on: April 03, 2022, 11:02:49 AM »
has been coaches everywhere

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #526 on: April 03, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »
Hurley at Connecticut needs to get going. Last two tournaments have been disappointing.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #527 on: April 03, 2022, 11:09:07 AM »
Georgetown fans must be so pissed. Imagine watching Shaka Smart, Shaheen Holloway, Sean Miller, and Thad Matta all come into the league while your administration twiddles their thumbs with Patrick Ewing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #528 on: April 03, 2022, 11:19:06 AM »
Butler know Matta.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #529 on: April 03, 2022, 12:08:26 PM »
If Matta is all-in - and why would he take the job if he wasn't gonna be? - this is a tremendous hire. A little Shaka-ish, in that he got his "dream job" and maybe realized that such things aren't always what they're cracked up to be.

Agree with Mr. N about Hurley - he's overrated to me until he does something that matters at UConn. Obviously, the same can be said about Shaka.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #530 on: April 03, 2022, 12:11:50 PM »
The coaches coming in definitely don’t hurt the next TV contract.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #531 on: April 03, 2022, 12:12:23 PM »
Hurley at Connecticut needs to get going. Last two tournaments have been disappointing.

He took over a program that was in purgatory with NCAA punishments from Ollie.  He’s finished top 3 in the BE both of his first 2 years and made the tourney.  Sure you’d like to see a deeper run, but he’s done just fine and UCONN is a contender in the BE again. To even mention him with coaches that need to “get it going” is silly.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #532 on: April 03, 2022, 12:24:35 PM »
Well, maybe. Yet, that feeling is there by UConn fans. Not sure anyone is saying hot seat talk. Yet, the tournaments exits the last two years for Connecticut are disappointments.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #533 on: April 03, 2022, 12:43:39 PM »
That’s an unbelievable, pie in the sky type of hire for Butler.  Their program has taken two massive hits in the last decade with Stevens and Holtmann leaving, so this is great news for them and the conference.  Lavall Jordan was a hack who had no business coaching in the Big East.  Great to see the conference cleanse itself of some of these garbage coaches like Wojo, Steele, and Jordan the last few years. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #534 on: April 03, 2022, 12:47:57 PM »
Is there any conference that comes near the Big East in terms of name recognition among coaches.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #535 on: April 03, 2022, 01:03:40 PM »
Well, maybe. Yet, that feeling is there by UConn fans. Not sure anyone is saying hot seat talk. Yet, the tournaments exits the last two years for Connecticut are disappointments.

UConn fans aren’t the best judge of rational feelings. 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #536 on: April 03, 2022, 01:34:58 PM »
X hires Sean Miller
Butler hires Thad Matta

Does this mean the next MU coach after Shaka is Crean?  Of Maybe Buzz?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #537 on: April 03, 2022, 03:12:32 PM »
X hires Sean Miller
Butler hires Thad Matta

Does this mean the next MU coach after Shaka is Crean?  Of Maybe Buzz?
Maybe O'Neil
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #538 on: April 03, 2022, 03:26:49 PM »
If Matta is all-in - and why would he take the job if he wasn't gonna be? - this is a tremendous hire. A little Shaka-ish, in that he got his "dream job" and maybe realized that such things aren't always what they're cracked up to be.

Agree with Mr. N about Hurley - he's overrated to me until he does something that matters at UConn. Obviously, the same can be said about Shaka.

Thad’s time at OSU was much longer and more successful than Shaka’s was at Texas.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #539 on: April 03, 2022, 04:03:10 PM »
Matta’s coaching record is impressive. If he can approach that level of success at Butler The Big East will be even more of a gauntlet than it already is. Will be interesting to see if he can get some prospects from the transfer portal. That has been a tried and true method for Butler over the years

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/thad-matta-1.html
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #540 on: April 03, 2022, 09:27:45 PM »
Thad’s time at OSU was much longer and more successful than Shaka’s was at Texas.

Absolutely. I wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #541 on: April 04, 2022, 08:24:41 AM »
With the BE's three new coaches, our conference has the promise of soon becoming more like the Big 12 with its impressive top to bottom strength (Georgetown aside). St. John's remains questionable but even Coach Blue! Blue! and his Demons cannot be no longer be taken as an easy win.

Your thoughts on how Shaka and his system will perform vs. Butler, Seton Hall, and Xaiver once the new coaches settle in this coming season and afterwards? I think Holloway is the most difficult new coach to figure out, but he obviously likes a highly disciplined style, or at least did at St. Peter's.

Several people have posted about the cannibalism inherent in an exceptionally strong top to bottom conference and pointed out how the bottom teams of the Big 12 have been saddled with records that, at first glance, are unimpressive. Looking 2-3 years down the road, which teams do you think will be perennial powers and which ones besides Georgetown will be in 8th-10th place? 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #542 on: April 04, 2022, 09:32:55 AM »
With the BE's three new coaches, our conference has the promise of soon becoming more like the Big 12 with its impressive top to bottom strength (Georgetown aside). St. John's remains questionable but even Coach Blue! Blue! and his Demons cannot be no longer be taken as an easy win.

Your thoughts on how Shaka and his system will perform vs. Butler, Seton Hall, and Xaiver once the new coaches settle in this coming season and afterwards? I think Holloway is the most difficult new coach to figure out, but he obviously likes a highly disciplined style, or at least did at St. Peter's.

Several people have posted about the cannibalism inherent in an exceptionally strong top to bottom conference and pointed out how the bottom teams of the Big 12 have been saddled with records that, at first glance, are unimpressive. Looking 2-3 years down the road, which teams do you think will be perennial powers and which ones besides Georgetown will be in 8th-10th place?
In 2-3 years I don't expect much to change. Still expect the same teams at the top, same teams in the middle, and DePaul, St John's, and Georgetown holding down the bottom.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #543 on: April 04, 2022, 10:54:02 AM »
In 2-3 years I don't expect much to change. Still expect the same teams at the top, same teams in the middle, and DePaul, St John's, and Georgetown holding down the bottom.

Probably so for the bottom three, but I think Matta and Miller will have their teams solidly in the upper half of the conference within 2-3 years. Even if, as I expect, Nova has a slightly down year (by their standards) this coming season, they will continue to be first or at least second in 2-3 years. To me, both Hurley and Holloway are difficult to predict and I think Providence goes back to being somewhere in the middle of the pack.

The big question to me is where will Marquette be in the conference? Where will we fit in?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #544 on: April 04, 2022, 11:07:53 AM »

If this is the case in 2-3 years, Georgetown will be playing its games at the DC Armory before 1000 a game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/TXC53IQKBEI6TCKCB32EFZMQSQ.jpg

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #545 on: April 04, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »
If this is the case in 2-3 years, Georgetown will be playing its games at the DC Armory before 1000 a game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/TXC53IQKBEI6TCKCB32EFZMQSQ.jpg

Why isn't there more pressure from the fan base to fire Ewing?  That BEAST tourney run?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #546 on: April 04, 2022, 11:18:53 AM »
Why isn't there more pressure from the fan base to fire Ewing?  That BEAST tourney run?

From what's been reported, it would cost more than eight figures to buy out Ewing this spring, thanks to the dumb and unnecessary (where was he going?) extension they gave him last year.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #547 on: April 04, 2022, 11:28:02 AM »
If Matta is committed, Butler is going to be a problem.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #548 on: April 04, 2022, 11:35:16 AM »

No money for the buyout. Georgetown lost a boatload on COVID and isn't handing a check to a multi-millionaire without someone else footing the bill.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #549 on: April 04, 2022, 11:59:25 AM »
Western Michigan hiring former MU/Michigan State assistant Dwayne Stephens.