[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Wow. So what are your expectations to finish the season?

I'm just happy with the process. Wins don't matter.
9 (4.1%)
The success has been great, but we've been lucky. NCAA appearance is fine.
9 (4.1%)
Let's not get greedy. A win in the NCAAT will be enough.
91 (41.2%)
We'll get some post-season success. BET title or S16.
77 (34.8%)
If Shaka can go first four to final four he can surely take a 5 seed there.
12 (5.4%)
Natty or bust. As it's always been,
11 (5%)
Arby's
12 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Author Topic: Recalibrate your expectations  (Read 16183 times)

1SE

• All American
Recalibrate your expectations
« on: February 03, 2022, 03:24:21 AM »
We're sitting on February 3rd far beyond where all but the most optimistic of us thought we would be. Time to recalibrate our overall season expectations.

My head says both us and Shaka need to get the getting past the first round monkey off our backs and that a R32 outcome at the start of the season would have been thrilling to us all and should remain the goal. But my heart says we've beaten 5 t-25 teams, have been competitive in every game since mid-Dec, and have a defense that travels - key to post-season success. So, TBH, I'm going to be a bit disappointed if we don't snag the BET or 2nd weekend this year.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:02:51 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MUMonster03

• All American
Re: Recalibrate your expectations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 04:13:41 AM »
This year has already exceeded my expectations. I thought we would be better than 9th, but with all the new pieces thought we might peak late and sneak into the tournament conversation at the end.

Anything above a 6 seed in the tourney and our first tournament win since 2013 would be adding a scoop of ice cream on top of an already decadent cake.

Would love a second weekend appearance but all it takes is one team having a lights out night and you are heading home, hopefully the moments continue to not be too big for this very young tem.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 05:04:20 AM »
This year has already exceeded my expectations. I thought we would be better than 9th, but with all the new pieces thought we might peak late and sneak into the tournament conversation at the end.

Anything above a 6 seed in the tourney and our first tournament win since 2013 would be adding a scoop of ice cream on top of an already decadent cake.

Would love a second weekend appearance but all it takes is one team having a lights out night and you are heading home, hopefully the moments continue to not be too big for this very young tem.

Yeah, I get crapshoot and all which is why I went for BET title OR S16 - (again my heart thinks) this team is dangerous enough that they should string together a few wins in either the BET OR the NCAAT.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 06:15:56 AM »
I’m the guy sitting slack jawed trying to mentally catch up with what is going on. I love it.

My expectations were a team that played hard for Shaka, solid coaching, and a painful offense to watch. I thought Kolek would be a stud, in time. But not adding enough on offense for a point guard; and who’d be hitting 3’s and scoring.

Wow. Still trying to recalibrate expectations with reality in a good way. Fun fun stuff.

I’ll be happy with a NCAA appearance, but voted for one win to get that off our backs and Shaka’s back. Could see getting a few more if things go right for us. All about matchups and still along way to go this season.   It I’ll take one win. And a couple of wins in NYC would be nice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 06:36:54 AM »
I am sticking to what I said.   No expectations.  Just enjoying the ride.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 06:58:27 AM »

In fairness, you are consistent.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 07:05:22 AM by 1SE »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 07:33:41 AM »
Shaka already massively overachieved so I'm "happy" no matter what. But I won't be satisfied until we get another final 4 so might as well get it earlier than expected
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 07:37:36 AM »

Going with consistency as well - I just appreciate each game Marquette scores more than 59.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 07:39:35 AM »
TAMU

This year is as good as any to be playing late in March. Defense travels and so does a team oriented system. This year is giving the faithful a taste of what the future holds for the program.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 07:41:35 AM »

Yep this. My goal for the team was
1. Play hard, sound basketball
2. Sum better than the parts
3. Fun to watch
4. Get better as the year goes on.

Just out of curiosity, where is the final four this year?  ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 07:44:48 AM »
Going with consistency as well - I just appreciate each game Marquette scores more than 59.

Me, too.   But the two losses where MU scored in the 50's didn't bother me.    The end of regulation against Creighton where MU was in the 50's didn't bother me.    Beating Nova while only scoring in the 50's elated me.     Having a fan like you who keeps propping me up about how right I was actually brings a smile to my face.     So, thanks.   Let's enjoy the ride.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 07:49:14 AM »

You know we've had more games in the 50s this year than any regular season since Wojos first?  That's despite having a top 10 tempo. Tower was correct that there would be games where we struggled to score. Others (and Tower) were correct that we would get better as the season went on. I certainly didn't expect that we would be this much better,  glad I was off
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 07:53:28 AM »

Our Strength of Schedule is 5th in the nation.  With our non-conference schedule plus a brutal Big East schedule, we have grown tremendously.  We won at Villanova and had a chance to force OT at Providence. 

If Kolek finds some consistently with his shot, we become extremely dangerous.  This is the most balanced MU team I’ve seen in the past 30 years with the possible exception of the 2003 team…but they had a HOF player.

We should be playing the second weekend this year for the first time since the peak of the Buzz era.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 07:58:46 AM »
TAMU

Again, you are correct on the numbers, but there is more to the story. This team controlled tempo in every game for a month and won in different methods. The points scored does not reflect the overall team capabilities. We never were going to be a low scoring team because defense gives you opportunities to score. Numbers are great, but not everything.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 08:00:37 AM »
Our Strength of Schedule is 5th in the nation.  With our non-conference schedule plus a brutal Big East schedule, we have grown tremendously.  We won at Villanova and had a chance to force OT at Providence. 

If Kolek finds some consistently with his shot, we become extremely dangerous.  This is the most balanced MU team I’ve seen in the past 30 years with the possible exception of the 2003 team…but they had a HOF player.

We should be playing the second weekend this year for the first time since the peak of the Buzz era.

That’s my feeling exactly.  If Kolek shoots with any type of consistency watch out.  This will be a second weekend team looking for more. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 08:03:42 AM »
I still can't completely shake 7 years of Wojo out of my brain, so my expectations are MU is a week away from a 9 game losing streak to end the season so the fan base can go back to asking if Shaka is the right coach for the program.  #Arbys

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 08:06:02 AM »
If everyone stays healthy, this is a second weekend team.

With the way they can defend, they will be competitive with anyone.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 08:07:01 AM »
I still can't completely shake 7 years of Wojo out of my brain, so my expectations are MU is a week away from a 9 game losing streak to end the season so the fan base can go back to asking if Shaka is the right coach for the program.  #Arbys

I am slowly coming out of that position, but yeah, I'm kind of like the beaten dog that flinches when someone goes to pet it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 08:08:56 AM »
Look gang, the pundits and most of you were wrong.

When Kur Kuath, Darryl Morsell, Tyler Kolak and OMax showed up on campus, I was sold on the notion of an NCAA berth.

Guys like Kuath and Morsell don't go someplace to play for a ninth place team. Coach Shaka too had a need for redemption after that ugly Abilene Christian loss last year.

Coach Shaka got 12 guys who bought into the concept of team and defense. The rest is history.

Did I figure we'd sweep Nova? Of course not, but I hoped so. Did I figure we'd be good enough for an NCAA berth? Yes, I did.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 08:09:52 AM »
Shaka already massively overachieved so I'm "happy" no matter what. But I won't be satisfied until we get another final 4 so might as well get it earlier than expected

All credit to the blog boys who last March put #mubb on their back and said “we got this”

The pen is definitely mightier than the sword.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:19:55 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2022, 08:10:23 AM »
TAMU

Again, you are correct on the numbers, but there is more to the story. This team controlled tempo in every game for a month and won in different methods. The points scored does not reflect the overall team capabilities. We never were going to be a low scoring team because defense gives you opportunities to score. Numbers are great, but not everything.
MU started the year without proven scorers.  MU had some games where they would have fallen out of the boat and missed water.    Lots of possessions with one pass and a three.    They got better.  They learned how to work for a shot.  Their 3 pt shooting has improved.     I love the progress and am enjoying the ride.

One guy keeps 'point'-ing out that I predicted games in the 50's.  I did.   And I was right.  I don't think we will have another one in the regular season unless we have a terrible night at Hinkle. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2022, 08:36:04 AM »
That’s my feeling exactly.  If Kolek shoots with any type of consistency watch out.  This will be a second weekend team looking for more.
He's fine on catch and shoot opportunites, he's bad poor to outright bad off shooting 3s off the bounce. More of the former and less of the latter in shot selection would do it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2022, 08:38:07 AM »
He's fine on catch and shoot opportunites, he's bad poor to outright bad off shooting 3s off the bounce. More of the former and less of the latter in shot selection would do it.

Yeah his shots aren't always in rhythm. I think he's still getting used to the speed of the Big East, and he'll stop feeling so rushed.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2022, 08:49:27 AM »
Thrilled that we’re relevant again. And if we can keep our poise… sweet 16 is easily attainable. To infinity and beyond!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 09:01:13 AM »

don't flatter yourself too much, there were plenty of other know-it-alls proclaiming scoring in the 50's as well...

Me, too.   But the two losses where MU scored in the 50's didn't bother me.    The end of regulation against Creighton where MU was in the 50's didn't bother me.    Beating Nova while only scoring in the 50's elated me.     Having a fan like you who keeps propping me up about how right I was actually brings a smile to my face.     So, thanks.   Let's enjoy the ride.

feedback