[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Wow. So what are your expectations to finish the season?

I'm just happy with the process. Wins don't matter.
9 (4.1%)
The success has been great, but we've been lucky. NCAA appearance is fine.
9 (4.1%)
Let's not get greedy. A win in the NCAAT will be enough.
91 (41.2%)
We'll get some post-season success. BET title or S16.
77 (34.8%)
If Shaka can go first four to final four he can surely take a 5 seed there.
12 (5.4%)
Natty or bust. As it's always been,
11 (5%)
Arby's
12 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Author Topic: Recalibrate your expectations  (Read 16181 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Recalibrate your expectations
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 09:02:24 AM »
I think it was me, TAMU, and J5.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 09:06:42 AM »
I think it was me, TAMU, and J5.

And one dude who agreed with J5.

J5 and friend deserve a good ribbing. Their thoughts were a little more along the lines of most games would be in the 50s, that was a silly bad prediction.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 09:07:48 AM »
Imagine where we'd be if Shaka had made winning a priority.  ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2022, 09:10:16 AM »
Imagine where we'd be if Shaka had made winning a priority.  ;)

I know you don't believe me, but he didn't. That's was so exciting.
TAMU

1SE

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2022, 09:13:56 AM »

Then I hope he relents a bit and makes it a priority for a few weeks in March. I'll trade just a little bit of the long term "process" for tickets to New Orleans.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2022, 09:16:57 AM »
TAMU

Again, you are correct on the numbers, but there is more to the story. This team controlled tempo in every game for a month and won in different methods. The points scored does not reflect the overall team capabilities. We never were going to be a low scoring team because defense gives you opportunities to score. Numbers are great, but not everything.

Maybe by the end season, but we were always going to be a team that on some nights would struggle to score to start the season. That was evident to anyone going to practices or scrimmages. It's a night and day difference now but remember this team managed all of 10 points in the first 16 and a half minutes against UCLA. Fortunately, non-three point shooter Greg Elliott went off for 9 points and alley-ooped a dunk to Kuath to get us to 21 in the last 3.5 minutes  ;)
TAMU

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2022, 09:17:39 AM »
Yes, it was primarily J5 but Tower plays the “your so vain” role well for this topic.

And one dude who agreed with J5.

J5 and friend deserve a good ribbing. Their thoughts were a little more along the lines of most games would be in the 50s, that was a silly bad prediction.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2022, 09:20:36 AM »
I was expecting a losing record this year.  7-4 non-con and 8-12 BE, 15-16 overall, but some competitive losses and getting better as the season went on.

This team has completely blown my expectations out of the water.

I did not expect:

1. The defense to be this good this year, maybe by year three.

2. Kolek to be a true PG and an assist machine.  Thought he was a rich man's Jake Thomas.

3. Lewis, Morsell, and Jones to shoot this well from 3.  Thought they would each shoot about 5% lower.

4. Role players stepping up virtually every game.

5. Morsell having stretches of clutch iso scoring.

6. Excellent team chemistry on both offense and defense.

My new expectations are 20+ wins, winning BE record, 6 seed or better.

Potential to win BE tourney or Sweet 16.  Matchups and luck play a part in the NCAA tournament, so I'm not ready to pencil in a trip to the 2nd weekend.

But there's also the possibility to go on deep tourney run with the right matchups, especially if there are upsets in our bracket.  And that's very exciting!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2022, 09:20:41 AM »
Tower does get credit for his 20k posts on “process not outcomes” expectation setting mantra he was trying to force on the board however.   Gigantic miss there as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2022, 09:26:31 AM »
Thanks.  You play the sycophantic fan boy pointing out accurate predictions very well, yourself.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2022, 09:27:49 AM »
Tower does get credit for his 20k posts on “process not outcomes” expectation setting mantra he was trying to force on the board however.   Gigantic miss there as well.

He's not really wrong on that either. I mean the win/loss predictions were off, but this season is about process. Ask Shaka himself and he will tell you that this season was all about process and building culture. I doubt even he expected the kind of run we are currently on. He and the team have done an incredible job. Now they have to finish this season strong and then build on it next season.

Though I must admit, I'm hoping for an NCAAT victory for the sole purpose of Texas fan schadenfreude
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2022, 09:28:10 AM »
If you filter T-Rank from the start of the year (including Creighton) Marquette is the 7th best team in the country. If you filter to January 2nd, Marquette is the 2nd best team in the country. I'll be happy with whatever comes from here, but this team is playing like a legitimate Final Four contender the past month.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2022, 09:31:45 AM »
If you filter T-Rank from the start of the year (including Creighton) Marquette is the 7th best team in the country. If you filter to January 2nd, Marquette is the 2nd best team in the country. I'll be happy with whatever comes from here, but this team is playing like a legitimate Final Four contender the past month.

Yes - this - this season as already been a resounding success in "process" regardless of what happens from here out. No one credible is going to call for Shaka's head irrespective of how the rest of the season plays out (speaking of which, where is NLW?)

But we have a team that, right now, is playing as well as almost any team in the country. Yes I want that consistently season on season, but that's no reason not to expect that they keep performing at this level and hope that we reach the ceiling of our potential.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2022, 09:34:02 AM »

It's not that I don't believe you, TAMU.
It's that I believe it to be utterly ridiculous that a competitive, high-major coach (in any sport) would intentionally downplay the importance of winning as some sort of culture-building exercise. I'm not sure there are many things  - or any things - more important to building a successful team sports culture than winning.
Success breeds success, no?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2022, 09:43:22 AM »
The pen is definitely mightier than the sword.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2022, 09:51:53 AM »
It's not that I don't believe you, TAMU.
It's that I believe it to be utterly ridiculous that a competitive, high-major coach (in any sport) would intentionally downplay the importance of winning as some sort of culture-building exercise. I'm not sure there are many things  - or any things - more important to building a successful team sports culture than winning.
Success breeds success, no?

When did anyone say any of that?
TAMU

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2022, 09:53:05 AM »
My goal going into the season was to be on the bubble and possibly win a NIT game or two.

Now my goal is at least one NCAA win and I'm pretty sure I'm aiming low with that one. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2022, 10:09:20 AM »
When did anyone say any of that?

Seriously?
For weeks leading up to and including the Creighton loss, a certain segment of Scoop preached that, for Shaka, this season is about process and culture, not winning (because somehow they're mutually exclusive?).
And any of us who suggested that this team had realistic NCAA tourney hopes needed to keep our wild expectations in check. After all, KenPom says we weren't a tournament team, so it must be true.
I'm not going to go through every thread, so if you remember things differently, ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2022, 10:26:12 AM »
Seriously?
For weeks leading up to and including the Creighton loss, a certain segment of Scoop preached that, for Shaka, this season is about process and culture, not winning (because somehow they're mutually exclusive?).
And any of us who suggested that this team had realistic NCAA tourney hopes needed to keep our wild expectations in check. After all, KenPom says we weren't a tournament team, so it must be true.
I'm not going to go through every thread, so if you remember things differently, ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

I was one who said that Shaka prioritized the "process" (for lack of better word) over winning this season. It was, of course, a narrative pushed repeatedly by Shaka -- who spoke about a "drip-by-drip process" and about not expecting "instant gratification." Shaka IMHO never meant it as him not trying to win in the moment of each game, and I didn't mean it that way, either.

I don't think Shaka was being dishonest. Some might say it was merely "coachspeak." Perhaps, but I don't think so. If any of us could sit down with Shaka today over a couple of beers, I think he would admit that this team has exceeded his expectations, maybe significantly so.

And obviously, once we actually started to win some Big East games, it very much became about winning this season. Hence Elliott playing as many minutes as Kam and Stevie combined last night even though Greg wasn't hitting his 3s; it's why Joplin never saw the court again despite him contributing nicely in the first half.

So was I "wrong" earlier? Sure. I'll cop to being at least as "wrong" as Shaka was.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2022, 10:29:55 AM »
The implication of folks saying this team would struggle to score 50 points at the beginning of the season is that this team would struggle mightily on the offensive end for large portions of the year. That has been wildly incorrect.

It is correct we have played two 40 minute games in the 50’s.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2022, 10:32:17 AM »
My new expectation is a banner. 

3 ways to get a banner:

- Win your conference
- Win your conference tourney
- Go to a Final Four

Every coach in the last 30 years has delivered on that except for Wojo. 

This team has all 3 in their sight.

Let’s go.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2022, 10:33:53 AM »
My new expectation is a banner. 

3 ways to get a banner:

- Win your conference
- Win your conference tourney
- Go to a Final Four

Every coach in the last 30 years has delivered on that except for Wojo. 

This team has all 3 in their sight.

Let’s go.

Pretty much impossible to win the regular season with Providence not making up games against Creightion, UConn, and Seton Hall.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2022, 10:38:27 AM »
I was one who said that Shaka prioritized the "process" (for lack of better word) over winning this season. It was, of course, a narrative pushed repeatedly by Shaka -- who spoke about a "drip-by-drip process" and about not expecting "instant gratification." Shaka IMHO never meant it as him not trying to win in the moment of each game, and I didn't mean it that way, either.

I don't think Shaka was being dishonest. Some might say it was merely "coachspeak." Perhaps, but I don't think so. If any of us could sit down with Shaka today over a couple of beers, I think he would admit that this team has exceeded his expectations, maybe significantly so.

And obviously, once we actually started to win some Big East games, it very much became about winning this season. Hence Elliott playing as many minutes as Kam and Stevie combined last night even though Greg wasn't hitting his 3s; it's why Joplin never saw the court again despite him contributing nicely in the first half.

So was I "wrong" earlier? Sure. I'll cop to being at least as "wrong" as Shaka was.

What an absolutely bizarre signature to have on a college basketball fan forum lmao

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2022, 10:42:01 AM »
Standing by my start of year expectations still of "it'll be nice if we make the tourney." Might feel greedier soon with a "let's at least win one."

Over the moon on where this team is at. It feels nice to be the team that does what Nova usually did to us--wear the other team down and control it.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2022, 10:45:21 AM »
Pretty much impossible to win the regular season with Providence not making up games against Creightion, UConn, and Seton Hall.

Impossible? No
Improbable? Yes

If the “luck” metrics are correct, PC could go on a MU2019 like dive. It’s unlikely but possible.  That loss stings with respects to big goals.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart