collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Les Grobstein  (Read 1344 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
RIP Les Grobstein
« on: January 17, 2022, 09:50:25 AM »
Overnight host on 670 The Score.

On the way home from late night Marquette games I would text in a 70s or 80s Marquette comment (“I haven’t seen this intensity from a Marquette team since Al McGuire”) and Les would go off on some great Marquette stories.

Crazy guy that will be missed.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: RIP Les Grobstein
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 10:23:33 AM »
Les was perfect for the over night shift - it let him ramble -his specialty - without having to talk to callers, guests, etc.

That said, he seemed like a really hard working, decent guy.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 10:26:24 AM »
Wow, I did not know he passed away. I very much enjoyed listening Les. He made a lot of late night/early morning car rides on biz trips a bit more enjoyable. This news makes me sad.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 10:26:44 AM »
Overnight host on 670 The Score.

On the way home from late night Marquette games I would text in a 70s or 80s Marquette comment (“I haven’t seen this intensity from a Marquette team since Al McGuire”) and Les would go off on some great Marquette stories.

Crazy guy that will be missed.

The Grobber was great. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 11:09:02 AM »
This is a huge bummer, there will never be another Grobber. He was the perfect overnight host. I would text in all the time with awful takes, just to see if he’d read it, and he always would. I recently texted him “Bring back Ditka as coach!” and sure enough he read it on air.

I really can’t imagine Score overnights without him, he was an institution. RIP.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 11:39:59 AM »
He was unlistenable.

Les may have been a very nice person (I have no idea); he loved sports; he knew a lot of sports history.

But the reason that he was "perfect for overnights" was that very few were listening.  He was terrible on the radio.

R.I.P. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 11:48:57 AM »
He was unlistenable.

Les may have been a very nice person (I have no idea); he loved sports; he knew a lot of sports history.

But the reason that he was "perfect for overnights" was that very few were listening.  He was terrible on the radio.

R.I.P. 

Hope you aren't in the eulogy writing business.  (The "R.I.P." at the end was a nice touch though.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 12:05:25 PM »
FBM, I would also say that you may have been a nice person (I have no idea), and add an R.I.P. (and I would mean it). 

;)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 12:07:30 PM »
FBM, I would also say that you may have been a nice person (I have no idea), and add an R.I.P. (and I would mean it). 

;)

"His posts on Scoop sucked.  He may have been a nice person though.  R.I.P."

I'll take it!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 12:13:00 PM »
I think that will be the universal eulogy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 12:33:17 PM »
Jon Greenberg just told a story about being in a stadium after the game and everyone was clearing out around 11 so he asked the security guard how long he had to stay. The security guard said until the last guy leaves. Greenberg looks over and Les is setting up his equipment to do his overnight show from the stadium.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 06:54:30 PM »
The Grobber was a Chicago media throw-back and a real piece of work. The press boxes there won't be the same without him.

He also was the guy who turned arguably the most famous (or infamous) postgame Chicago press conference ever -- Lee Elia's tirade against Cubbie fans -- into a national story and a Chicago legend.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/media/2022/01/17/les-grobstein-legend-among-chicago-sportscasters-dies-69/6555117001/
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 07:13:06 PM »
I remember riding the school bus listening to Larry Lujack, little snot nosed Tommy, and Les Grobstein. Quite the combination. Just means that I am old.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 10:18:34 PM »
Used to listen to Les when he was on with Dahl and Meier on WLS in the 80's.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 03:42:23 PM »
Bring back T-Dub overnights

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 02:58:36 PM »
I best remember the Grobber from his time with Larry Lujack.

Lujack would hurl it at the Grobber in a way only Lujack could. The Grobber was the guy who fired back at Lujack. Not done and usually not done well when it was done in Chicago.

feedback