[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: At home Covid tests  (Read 8019 times)

lawdog77

• All American
At home Covid tests
« on: January 14, 2022, 05:17:09 PM »
Starting Wednesday, one can order 4 free at home tests.

https://www.covidtests.gov/

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: At home Covid tests
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 06:16:07 PM »
Is that a 1 time order of 4 tests?  Looks like it.

File this in the "look, we are doing something" section of performative covid theater.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 06:53:26 PM »
This was done so poorly.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 09:17:36 PM »
This was done so poorly.

!!!!!   Are manslaughter charges justified??

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 02:31:24 PM »
If by Wednesday, you mean Tuesday
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 02:38:19 PM »
If by Wednesday, you mean Tuesday
Thanks for the heads up a day early. Now if I could only figure out a way to get more by "registering" fictitious people. Maybe a politician or two know how to do that

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 03:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up a day early. Now if I could only figure out a way to get more by "registering" fictitious people. Maybe a politician or two know how to do that

It's gonna be harder to get a second order of these things than it is to get an absentee ballot.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 03:21:01 PM »
This was done so poorly.

+1.  This is so much less effective than just like, making them available and cheap at any pharmacy. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 03:36:07 PM »
+1.  This is so much less effective than just like, making them available and cheap at any pharmacy.

Except then the people here would complain because they have to go out in the cold and drive somewhere to get them.

We are a nation of whiny babies.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 03:43:49 PM »
Ludum habemus.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 04:02:44 PM »
Except then the people here would complain because they have to go out in the cold and drive somewhere to get them.

We are a nation of whiny babies.

I guess.  This just seems like a lot of bureacracy and inefficient allocation of limited supply.  How many of these tests will get shipped and then never used?  And does this mean that supply to pharmacies will be scarce longer?  Subsidizing these tests and doing everything we can to encourage production is a good thing, but just have them available for people when they need them.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 04:33:04 PM »
I'm going to order my allotment mostly so I can share with family and friends that might need them in a pinch when tests are not otherwise readily available.  Having said that, I hope they do go to waste.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 04:51:23 PM »
I ordered them, but .. it'd be rare I'd use them and not get a "real" test.

Case in point, though.  My 15 year old got his booster and the next day had a fever, was weak.   So .. of course that seems like a side effect, but he's at school and it's guaranteed there's a few cases walking around each day.

So would I would have used a rapid test on him just for a little mental comfort.  (He was fine the next day, so it was side-effects.)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 06:50:26 PM »
I guess.  This just seems like a lot of bureacracy and inefficient allocation of limited supply.  How many of these tests will get shipped and then never used?  And does this mean that supply to pharmacies will be scarce longer?  Subsidizing these tests and doing everything we can to encourage production is a good thing, but just have them available for people when they need them.

This.

Produce the tests. Get them out to public access. Make them available for folks who need/when needed.

But this whole process seems like folks will order who don't need them then sit on them letting them go to waste.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 07:13:55 PM »
I thought Trump and DeVos shut down the postal service?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 07:20:13 PM »
I thought Trump and DeVos shut down the postal service?

Shut Trump down before they could do that. Thank god.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 07:51:29 PM »
Shut Trump down before they could do that. Thank god.
Good thing too!  Joe’s got that place running like a well oiled machine!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 09:15:51 PM »
Good thing too!  Joe’s got that place running like a well oiled machine!
DeJoy is still in place, unfortunately.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 09:26:26 PM »
This.

Produce the tests. Get them out to public access. Make them available for folks who need/when needed.

But this whole process seems like folks will order who don't need them then sit on them letting them go to waste.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the current plan, what other alternatives are there.

People were buying available supplies in bulk to resell online. Some stores were limiting the number of purchase, but they also didn't want to police who already bought some that day, so most people who needed/wanted them couldn't get any.

This at least allows each household to get some now.

The problem is, people are selfish. If people just bought when they needed them instead of seeing a chance to make a profit online, we would never have had a problem.

Basically, Americans suck.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 12:10:35 AM »
Was in NJ over the weekend visiting my sister in law.  She asks us to stop by their local pharmacy on our way to grab lunch cause they have COVID tests.  Considering we can’t find any of note in Wisconsin, we were surprised they had plenty. Pop in, they don’t have Binax or any of the reputable tests. Just a generic one neither my wife and I had ever heard of.  Ok, fine, we’ll take 2 boxes…oh wait, this kind proprietor is charging $49.99 each.  FOH

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 06:51:22 AM »
Can’t wait for all of the, “I requested the tests early on, but it’s been weeks and still…nothing!”
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 06:53:35 AM »
Can’t wait for all of the, “I requested the tests early on, but it’s been weeks and still…nothing!”

Yep. I am pretty sure that will end up being the case. People are going to have these in their closets for years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 10:12:14 AM »

When I tested positive for covid freodtert sent out an email stating I would receive a care package to help me through.

That email came 3 days after I tested positive, the delivery date was for 4 days after that email. And then it never came.  ::)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 11:48:58 AM »
Although I'm not a huge fan of the current plan, what other alternatives are there.

People were buying available supplies in bulk to resell online. Some stores were limiting the number of purchase, but they also didn't want to police who already bought some that day, so most people who needed/wanted them couldn't get any.

This at least allows each household to get some now.

The problem is, people are selfish. If people just bought when they needed them instead of seeing a chance to make a profit online, we would never have had a problem.

Basically, Americans suck.

Yes, we do.  We're conditioned from a very young age.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 12:30:09 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/19/politics/senior-citizens-medicare-free-covid-tests-retailers/index.html

I’m not sure what the deal is with why Medicare isn’t part of the free home test program, but surely CNN could have found better examples for why it needs to be included than at least two of the people interviewed in this article? One guy is running around like Covid doesn’t exist, and the other lady is traveling internationally. Not exactly poster children for people who really could use the benefit financially.

feedback