[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 70362 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2022, 10:18:56 AM »
Possibly.  Again, unlike upstart leagues in other sports, the money here is endless.

Yea, among other reasons, the AAF, the XFL, etc... have failed due to money issues.  The Saudi tour will never have to worry about that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #276 on: May 06, 2022, 11:11:45 AM »
Aside from the relatively small number of really avid golf fans, those who watch golf want to see 2 things:

++ Majors.

++ Tiger.

(Tiger contending at a major is the real gold.)

The Saudi tour could steal some eyeballs, sure, and maybe over time it will become something if they can lure enough big names -- as Rico says, they have money to burn -- but they won't have majors, and they won't have Tiger.

I think I'm a fairly typical casual golf fan. I watch the majors, and I'll watch some Ryder Cup. I'm not gonna be watching whatever PGA Tour event is taking place this weekend, and I'm sure as shyte not gonna be watching the old-timers playing for the Saudis.

Tiger is the golf needle.  It’s him and a gulf.  The next biggest “needle movers” are Bryson, Spieth and Rory.  Bryson for his absurdity, Spieth for his Seve-like play and Rory for being the closest thing to Cat of the last decade.  LIV needs at least two of those and Bryson is the only one who I could see make the move (I think he was going to but “saw” the backlash).  The problem with Bryson is, I doubt he has a long shelf life as a golfer

The sport is far too deep for another Cat IMO, so the worst thing it can do is split the talent beyond the current structure of tours.  I push back against the idea competetion is good for golf.  It wasn’t for boxing and it wasn’t for open-wheel racing in the US. People don’t have the time or patience to follow two leagues.  It won’t work for golf.  Golf as a viewing sport is as niche as it gets.  Casual viewers watch the Masters and Ryder Cup and Tiger. 

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #277 on: May 06, 2022, 11:19:38 AM »
Tiger is the golf needle.  It’s him and a gulf.  The next biggest “needle movers” are Bryson, Spieth and Rory.  Bryson for his absurdity, Spieth for his Seve-like play and Rory for being the closest thing to Cat of the last decade.  LIV needs at least two of those and Bryson is the only one who I could see make the move (I think he was going to but “saw” the backlash).  The problem with Bryson is, I doubt he has a long shelf life as a golfer

The sport is far too deep for another Cat IMO, so the worst thing it can do is split the talent beyond the current structure of tours.  I push back against the idea competetion is good for golf.  It wasn’t for boxing and it wasn’t for open-wheel racing in the US. People don’t have the time or patience to follow two leagues.  It won’t work for golf.  Golf as a viewing sport is as niche as it gets.  Casual viewers watch the Masters and Ryder Cup and Tiger.

That's probably accurate but if Scheffy or Morikawa win a bunch of majors they may also move the needle.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #278 on: May 06, 2022, 11:46:41 AM »
This is purely anecdotal as some of my most vivid golf viewing is going to my grandparents’ house on a weekend and they’d have golf on in the background. I guess I assume that to make up a large percentage of non-major golf viewing which unless there’s recognizable names and easy to get on TV, I don’t see LIV pulling that market.

I could be way off on the typical demographic though. And agree that the amount of money behind LIV allows them have a lot more time and resources to breakthrough.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #279 on: May 06, 2022, 12:46:45 PM »
Fowler had an all time great bogie yesterday.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #280 on: May 06, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
Aside from the relatively small number of really avid golf fans, those who watch golf want to see 2 things:

++ Majors.

++ Tiger.

(Tiger contending at a major is the real gold.)

Agree completely.  The top ten players on the PGA tour could walk past me right now and I would maybe recognize one or two of them.  But I will watch the majors if nothing else is going on, simply for the drama that comes with it.  There is no way I am going to watch a run of the mill PGA tournament or LIV tournament. 

I think they have to do something to personalize the players and make it appeal to a younger audience.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2022, 01:18:43 PM »
That's probably accurate but if Scheffy or Morikawa win a bunch of majors they may also move the needle.

Honestly, I don't think those guys or their games are all that interesting. So, they will need to win a lot. I know Scottie is on a heater right now, so I'm definitely interested in how long he can keep it going. Of the two though, I think Morikawa still has the most upside.

I agree with Rico. Splitting talent between two tours will not be good for professional golf. Beyond the whole sport-washing problem with LIV, another pro tour will simply water down the professional game. I have been happy to see the PGA Tour take this challenge seriously and try to head-it-off as much as possible.

Also, it would be wonderful if Rory started winning majors again. It's absolute shame he crapped it up the first two days at the Masters. His final round was a masterpiece, could have been truly epic had he been in contention.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #282 on: May 06, 2022, 01:26:31 PM »

Agree with every word of that, especially the last 4 sentences.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #283 on: May 06, 2022, 01:29:02 PM »

Maybe.  I have my doubts their personalities are that translatable to marketing but will admit I don’t know that yet.  They’ve been pretty bland so far and corporate

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #284 on: May 06, 2022, 01:32:06 PM »

Problem is they're boring. I'd add Koepka and DJ to that list too. They're incredible players, but they're so stoic, almost robotic, that it's not really destination TV.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #285 on: May 06, 2022, 01:45:03 PM »
First Rory and then Spieth had their chances to be at least Next Tiger Lite.

Neither really capitalized.

It's especially hard to believe that Rory hasn't won a major in 8 years. Hell, he's only won two tour events in the last 3 years, a stretch that also included a 1-3 Ryder Cup flame-out. Obviously, still a great golfer ... but to be guy who moves the needle, you have to win something.

Agree with those who mentioned DeChambeau -- he's so unique and polarizing that he's the only guy right now who really can bring in casual fans. But again, he's got to win. Otherwise he's just a muscular John Daley.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #286 on: May 06, 2022, 01:49:50 PM »
Honestly, I don't think those guys or their games are all that interesting. So, they will need to win a lot. I know Scottie is on a heater right now, so I'm definitely interested in how long he can keep it going. Of the two though, I think Morikawa still has the most upside.

The interesting thing to me about Scheffler's potential is that he's been a monster at every level for a decade without ever being labeled the next big thing.  All pros dominate lower/junior levels to some extent, but he was almost laughably dominant.  Then he wont the US Junior Am.  Then was solid and consistent at UT.  Then won POY on the Korn Ferry.  Then PGA ROY and then has finished top 20 in every major since he joined the tour in 2020.  Thats pretty remarkable.

Maybe.  I have my doubts their personalities are that translatable to marketing but will admit I don’t know that yet.  They’ve been pretty bland so far and corporate

I don't know about Morikawa, but I wouldn't say Scheffler is corporate.  He's been pretty candid, open, and engaging in interviews Ive seen with him.  But he's not electric and super animated either on or off the course, which leaves him pretty flat to the casual viewer.  So thats probably an issue.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #287 on: May 06, 2022, 01:52:05 PM »
First Rory and then Spieth had their chances to be at least Next Tiger Lite.

Neither really capitalized.

It's especially hard to believe that Rory hasn't won a major in 8 years. Hell, he's only won two tour events in the last 3 years, a stretch that also included a 1-3 Ryder Cup flame-out. Obviously, still a great golfer ... but to be guy who moves the needle, you have to win something.

Agree with those who mentioned DeChambeau -- he's so unique and polarizing that he's the only guy right now who really can bring in casual fans. But again, he's got to win. Otherwise he's just a muscular John Daley.

Rory can probably get to that point again with another win in a major.  Augusta is unique in that it draws casuals regardless, but if Rory has a lead late there, it’ll be a big moment. 

Spieth juices things when he’s in contention.  My mom will watch when he’s contending, that’s how I judge guys.  When Scheffler was leading, I got the “do you like him, I never heard of him” text.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #288 on: May 06, 2022, 01:54:41 PM »
The interesting thing to me about Scheffler's potential is that he's been a monster at every level for a decade without ever being labeled the next big thing.  All pros dominate lower/junior levels to some extent, but he was almost laughably dominant.  Then he wont the US Junior Am.  Then was solid and consistent at UT.  Then won POY on the Korn Ferry.  Then PGA ROY and then has finished top 20 in every major since he joined the tour in 2020.  Thats pretty remarkable.

I don't know about Morikawa, but I wouldn't say Scheffler is corporate.  He's been pretty candid, open, and engaging in interviews Ive seen with him.  But he's not electric and super animated either on or off the course, which leaves him pretty flat to the casual viewer.  So thats probably an issue.

Corporate is a broad stroke observation about his appeal to the casual fan.  He does fascinate me as a hard core fan, though I admit I find the religion on the sleeve off-putting (That’s a me thing and don’t want him to stop being him to appease me).  As a golfer on the course, I love watching him but I had property on Scottie Island a long time ago

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 06, 2022, 02:49:02 PM »
I think the lurking sense of jeopardy when Spieth or Rory are in the hunt is what makes them worth watching. It could be brilliance or a total shambles and that keeps the hooks in.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #290 on: May 06, 2022, 03:50:51 PM »

The sport is far too deep for another Cat IMO, so the worst thing it can do is split the talent beyond the current structure of tours.  I push back against the idea competetion is good for golf.  It wasn’t for boxing and it wasn’t for open-wheel racing in the US. People don’t have the time or patience to follow two leagues.  It won’t work for golf.  Golf as a viewing sport is as niche as it gets.Casual viewers watch the Masters and Ryder Cup and Tiger.
Golf has perfected an incredible niche . The golf demographic is one of the most sought after. That is why Golf is on broadcast TV 3 -4 hours a day on weekends for much of the year . Advertisers will pay up for that demo.

The PGA tour appears to be not making an it fuss about the rival league, which is a smart move. The new league will eventually merge with the Asian Tour and fade into obscurity .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #291 on: May 06, 2022, 04:01:51 PM »
Or the European tour.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 06, 2022, 04:18:06 PM »
I miss Rickie Fowler and Anthony Kim

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #293 on: May 06, 2022, 04:21:33 PM »

I don't disagree with you but I think if one of them get to 5, or win all 4, they could possibly gain some traction on this front.  They're super young.....you just never know. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #294 on: May 06, 2022, 05:04:10 PM »

How can you miss Dick Flower?  He’s on a commercial every ten minutes

tower912

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 06, 2022, 06:02:48 PM »
Some day, the definitive history of Anthony Kim will be written.   I will want to read it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #296 on: May 06, 2022, 11:34:50 PM »

Fowler is around.  You can see him contending on Fridays at majors and then becoming a ghost on the weekend.

Some day, the definitive history of Anthony Kim will be written.   I will want to read it.

Only if Kim himself is telling it.  But otherwise I totally agree, its beyond intriguing and puzzling.

As Ive mentioned, my BIL is a teaching pro at a major CC in the Dallas area.  Really plugged in with the golf community there.  1-1.5 degrees of separation from Spieth and his crew in the area.  Has taught/coached various Dallas based PGA pros from time to time.  Knew people that Kim regularly played with in the area 10-12 years ago.  From what he says, he vanished from not just the PGA world, but any "golf friend" world too.   Its absolutely fascinating.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 06, 2022, 11:51:00 PM »
Fowler is around.  You can see him contending on Fridays at majors and then becoming a ghost on the weekend.

At the end of the year, Rickie will have only played in 3 of the last 8 majors.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #298 on: May 07, 2022, 03:05:48 PM »
Jason Day playing like the rest of us.  I hope his back and vertigo are OK.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback