'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka fails.his first test.  (Read 13725 times)

1SE

• All American
Shaka fails.his first test.
« on: January 01, 2022, 01:27:43 PM »
Despite shooting like a JV girls team, creighton was willing us that game in the 2nd half. Have to win that kind of.game in your home.court. Now a 4 game.loaing streak. First time I've really.felt.down in the Shaka era.

Beyond the no foul, there were just no.ideas at all.in the 2nd OT
 Awful.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Boozemon Barro

• All American
Re: Shaka fails.his first test.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 01:36:07 PM »
Yeah that was the basketball equivalent of your punctuation test.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 01:36:12 PM »
Agree. I am a huge Shaka backer. But not fouling up 3 with 3 seconds left, combined with a 4 game losing streak really has me giving up on this year. This is not an ncaa tourney team. The non-conference was just a tease.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 01:36:36 PM »
Can.already.tell.this.will.be.a.wonderful.thread.
   Super.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 01:39:13 PM »
Not so sure on this being first test, but he did fail today.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 01:39:43 PM »
I'm on the Shaka wagon - but if you can't call out the really awful performances when you see them...
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 01:40:42 PM »
Awful.

Pathetic.  You FOUL UP 3 !!!

Creighton had given them the game.  Total failure by Shaka.  And he sat there looking befuddled in 2OT.

That looked a lot like a WOJO special.

And now he’s full of excuses on his Radio show.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 01:51:03 PM »
What worries me the most is that these aren't the mistakes that an experienced coach should make. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 02:01:34 PM »
What worries me the most is that these aren't the mistakes that an experienced coach should make.
Yeah I agree. The not calling a timeout in the second OT felt a bit like the response of a coach who didn’t haven’t the answers. Not great.
No Finish Line

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 02:04:00 PM »

Bingoooo.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 02:04:25 PM »
Yup!

Anyone who thinks this team is bad is wrong. They are bad at some things, yes, but they are capable of beating anyone and they have showed that time and time again this year.  They just can't finish important games.

That is usually coaching and was most definitely coaching today.

Not sure how to fix it, but that's not my job. Thankfully!
VIOLENCE!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 02:09:36 PM »
Agree. I am a huge Shaka backer. But not fouling up 3 with 3 seconds left, combined with a 4 game losing streak really has me giving up on this year. This is not an ncaa tourney team. The non-conference was just a tease.

Regression to the mean. The end of the Illinois and Kansas State games went our way.  Today didn't.

Unfortunately this team is proving to be mediocre, but I can't say I'm surprised.  My expectations for this year were always low.

If next year is going to be better, Shaka needs to find some stud transfers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 02:12:57 PM »
I guess maybe the team isn’t bad. But they aren’t good. How many players on the roster are there that you think, “he really needs 30+MPG in the Big East?” I count one. And one that will grow into that type of player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 02:16:44 PM »
If O’Connell misses that shot, the narrative is “boy Shaka is so gutsy - trusting his team to play defense is such a great sign.”

It’s the low hanging fruit to call him out for that decision which really amounts to a coin flip. Not calling a timeout when there were a couple really poor shots in a row in OT is the much bigger mistake.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 02:18:01 PM »
When Creighton went zone, MU stood still and didn't adjust.    Calling TO to set up zone offense may have helped, but shouldn't be necessary.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 02:23:28 PM »
If O’Connell misses that shot, the narrative is “boy Shaka is so gutsy - trusting his team to play defense is such a great sign.”

It’s the low hanging fruit to call him out for that decision which really amounts to a coin flip. Not calling a timeout when there were a couple really poor shots in a row in OT is the much bigger mistake.

Not from me. I would have said he dodged a bullet letting a guy get that shot off when it could have been avoided.

As I said in the game thread, I don’t think it’s as simple as “Foul up by 3” all the time because it depends so much on the specifics of time, ball position, etc. But an opponent inbounding with 3 seconds left is a situation where I think you have to foul.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 02:26:10 PM »
When Creighton went zone, MU stood still and didn't adjust.    Calling TO to set up zone offense may have helped, but shouldn't be necessary.     

Well, I agree it shouldn't be necessary because the coach has his team ready to adjust on the fly. But apparently the coach didn't have them ready, so we needed a TO. Either way, it's on Shaka. That's why he gets the big bucks.

Reasonable.

Regression to the mean. The end of the Illinois and Kansas State games went our way.  Today didn't.

Unfortunately this team is proving to be mediocre, but I can't say I'm surprised.  My expectations for this year were always low.

If next year is going to be better, Shaka needs to find some stud transfers.

Also reasonable.

Look, Morsell is not a 20+ ppg scorer; Kuath is not an impact player; we have a bunch of role players; we need upgrades everywhere. Shaka needs to recruit better, both high schoolers and transfers. So far IMHO that is the most valid overarching criticism of him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2022, 02:26:35 PM »
You absolutely foul up three with 2.7 seconds left. Not only to prevent the tie…..but I said at the time, this team needs to win it now because they won’t win it in 2OT. When that team walked off the floor after the first OT you could see they didn’t have it and no way they could win it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2022, 02:36:12 PM »
Unfriggin real.  I couldn't see or follow the game.  Are you telling me that we had a 3 pt lead with 2.7 secs left and DIDN’T FOUL!!!?????  Were they going the length of the court?  Regardless, that CANNOT HAPPEN.  EVER.  You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!   WTH did Shaka say at the presser?  This is absolutely crushing and beyond belief.  No excuse for that mistake.  ZERO.  This is a devastating loss and at HOME again.  I really hope we can recover.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 02:39:06 PM by MuggsyB »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2022, 02:39:41 PM »
Unfriggin real.  I couldn't see or follow the game.  Are you telling me that we had a 3 pt lead with 2.7 secs left and DIDN’T FOUL!!!?????  Were they going the length of the court?  Regardless, that CANNOT HAPPEN.  EVER.  You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!   WTH did Shaka say at the presser?  This is absolutely crushing and beyond belief.  No excuse for that mistake.  ZERO.  This is a devastating loss and at HOME again.  I really hope we can recover.

They announced after the game they were ending the program and rescinding all scholarships.  Shaka was also arrested
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2022, 02:40:02 PM »

It's just a basketball game, dude.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2022, 02:40:10 PM »
Unfriggin real.  I couldn't see or follow the game.  Are you telling me that we had a 3 pt lead with 2.7 secs left and DIDN’T FOUL!!!?????  Were they going the length of the court?  Regardless, that CANNOT HAPPEN.  EVER.  You have got to be freaking kidding me.  WTH did Shaka say at the presser?  This is absolutely crushing and beyond belief.  No excuse for that mistake.  ZERO.  This is a devastating loss and at HOME again.  I really hope we can recover.

They were inbounding from their front court on the sideline in front of their bench.

To me it would have been easy to aggressively attack whoever was going to receive the inbound pass and foul before he could catch the ball and get into a shooting motion.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 02:40:16 PM »
He said he is a coach who fouls up 3 with 6 seconds in a live ball situation.
He said he didn’t trust his guys to properly foul in that situation.
Again, I believe that allowing a tie and forcing  a 2OT was certain death.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 02:42:43 PM »
They announced after the game they were ending the program and rescinding all scholarships.  Shaka was also arrested

This is a serious blunder Uncle R.   Unless I'm missing something there's really no other way to see it.  2.7??
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 02:44:34 PM by MuggsyB »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 02:44:32 PM »
This is a serious blunder Uncle.  Unless I'm missing something there's really no other way to see it.  2.7??

That’s why the shut the program down.  No way they recover.  RIP
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.