[Today at 01:41:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka fails.his first test.  (Read 13687 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Shaka fails.his first test.
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2022, 04:10:52 PM »
Team has heart that for sure.  That might get them 4 wins in the BE?   Shaka better figure out how to get more talent into the program. Or figure out how to make them shoot better.

We’ve played probably the 2nd, 3rd and 5th best teams in the BE and have been in every game. We’ve been down a starter in two of those games.

Disappointing result today and Shaka failed with end of game strategy, but MU is a decent team.

Unfortunately they now have probably three must win games in a row. Probably have to sweep DP, GU, and BUT to have a shot to get to 10 conference wins. And I don’t think they will do that. Still encouraged about the future but it’s been a frustrating two weeks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2022, 04:15:08 PM »
Why was this Shaka's "first" test?

Did all the decisions he made in the first 13 games not count?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2022, 04:27:16 PM »
The comments we were referring to were made with Homer, not the presser.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2022, 04:36:54 PM »
Wojo forgot the score. Shaka flipped a coin and bet on his guys. Get real.

1. It's not a coin flip. That implies that the chances of a tie game in that scenario are equal, regardless of strategy. That's not true.
2. His job isn't to bet on his guys (whatever that's supposed to mean). His job is to put his guys in the best position to succeed. That didn't happen.

It's OK to say Shaka made a mistake. He's not infallible. It's  not his first and won't be his last.  It won't kill you  to admit this or make you any less of a fan. I promise.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 04:38:40 PM by Pakuni »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2022, 04:44:37 PM »
Shaka fxxked up, not sure what the debate is.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2022, 04:47:35 PM »
1. It's not a coin flip. That implies that the chances of a tie game in that scenario are equal, regardless of strategy. That's not true.
2. His job isn't to bet on his guys (whatever that's supposed to mean). His job is to put his guys in the best position to succeed. That didn't happen.

It's OK to say Shaka made a mistake. He's not infallible. It's  not his first and won't be his last.  It won't kill you  to admit this or make you any less of a fan. I promise.

True. And even if he bet on the coin flip, that defensive set where Oso got isolated on the shooter while OMax and others protected the paint was even worse. Right out of a time out.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2022, 04:48:28 PM »
Wojo forgot the score. Shaka flipped a coin and bet on his guys. Get real.

Shaka choose to not foul up 3 with with 3.3 seconds left. It was a mistake. It was a mistake if Creighton missed the 3.

Own it, learn, move on.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2022, 04:55:46 PM »
While I am a Shaka guy, I find any comparison to Wojo or the Wojo era beyond comical. In addition, talking about lack of recruiting and not having talent is equally comical to me. As we sit here today, I would bet a very large sum of money that over the next handful of years that this program will have Buzz like, or better, success. Anyone that thinks he cannot get players is delusional. Hey, I am very pissed off we lost today and was very pissed off with the UConn loss. Some of the posts have made laugh and that has taken 1% of the sting out of the loss.

panda

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2022, 05:14:03 PM »
True. And even if he bet on the coin flip, that defensive set where Oso got isolated on the shooter while OMax and others protected the paint was even worse. Right out of a time out.

Sucks he made the shot but look at the picture. It’s a well guarded, deep off balance three. Hats off to him and we’ll defended from MU’s standpoint.

You can nitpick to try and seem like you know what you’re talking about, but I like our chances with our length defending a three at the end of the game in that situation.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2022, 05:20:23 PM »
It wasn’t that difficult a shot. He had a wide open look!  Sure he had to dribble to get himself open, but it wasn’t some crazy-a$$ shot. It was a shot that shooters make.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2022, 05:22:38 PM »
It wasn’t that difficult a shot. He had a wide open look!  Sure he had to dribble to get himself open, but it wasn’t some crazy-a$$ shot. It was a shot that shooters make.

This. We were right behind the shooter with a great view. Couldn’t believe how good of a look he got

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2022, 05:28:52 PM »
Looking at the stats -12 on free throws attempts at home never helps.  Did we take bad shots or was it just brick city?

Obviously Lewis had a brutal shooting game.  Imo he can't just be a jump shooter if that's what he did today

It may be as simple as we can't make shots but I noticed we didn't take a ton of trees today.  Any thoughts on Ellis playing more?  The fact that we seemingly threw away a W with our guards and Lewis shooting so poorly seems like a positive?  I feel like our guards not being able to attack the paint is one of our  ore significant issues. 

All coaches make mistakes, it happens to the best of them.  But this one really hurts and gives us a smaller margin for error moving forward.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:39:01 PM by MuggsyB »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2022, 05:32:37 PM »
The loss was on Shaka for the defensive play he called.

The press conference was not a good look for him either.

Wojo’s teams would have (hyperbole alert)likely never come back like this team did.  Shaka gets credit for that. 

At this point in the season and Shaka’s tenure, I’ll chalk it up to “part of the process”.  We knew this would be a journey. Let it play out.

We should have won today.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2022, 05:34:26 PM »
Looking at the stats -12 on free throws attempts at home never helps.  Did we take bad shots or was it just brick city? V

Obviously Lewis had a brutal shooting game.  Imo he can't just be a jump shooter if that's what he did today

It may be as simple as we can't make shots but I noticed we didn't take a ton of trees today.  Any thoughts on Ellis playing more?  The fact that we seemingly threw away a W with our guards and Lewis shooting so poorly seems like a positive?  I feel like our guards not being able to attack the paint is one of our  ore significant issues. 

All coaches make mistakes, it happens to the best of them.  But this one really hurts and gives us a smaller margin for error moving forward.

Lewis took some weird out of the flow shots. I thought the rest of the team took *mostly* good shots.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2022, 05:39:33 PM »
Panda -  come on !?!

The three was not well defended, as noted by others it was a clean look/ not far behind the line.  It’s a shot that will be made 35 to 40% of the time.

Shaka F’d up.  Period. Threw away a win.   

panda

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2022, 05:39:44 PM »
Yep - wide open. Basically a lay up.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2022, 05:54:23 PM »
Lewis took some weird out of the flow shots. I thought the rest of the team took *mostly* good shots.

We have to get to the FT line more.  7 total?  How do we change that stat?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2022, 06:05:49 PM »
While I am a Shaka guy, I find any comparison to Wojo or the Wojo era beyond comical. In addition, talking about lack of recruiting and not having talent is equally comical to me. As we sit here today, I would bet a very large sum of money that over the next handful of years that this program will have Buzz like, or better, success. Anyone that thinks he cannot get players is delusional. Hey, I am very pissed off we lost today and was very pissed off with the UConn loss. Some of the posts have made laugh and that has taken 1% of the sting out of the loss.
When do you think the success starts? I think Shaka’s first 2 years will be much closer to Wojo than Buzz.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2022, 06:07:25 PM »
Not so sure on this being first test, but he did fail today.

Goose

Agree. Shaka made a huge blunder by not calling for a foul on the in ball pass down 3 with 3 seconds to play. He lost the game. I feel bad for the players who fought so hard to win. It was very disappointing. Starting to wonder about his coaching and game management.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2022, 06:21:51 PM »

The defender is coming from the side (back and to the left, back and to the left). He had a clear look at the basket.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 06:28:13 PM by Pakuni »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2022, 06:24:21 PM »
We have to get to the FT line more.  7 total?  How do we change that stat?

Haveta grow a few pairs, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2022, 06:24:32 PM »

Buzz level success?

Buzz went to 5 NCAA Tournaments in 6 years.

3 Sweet 16s, an Elite 8, and a Big East Title.

Where do I sign up to make this bet? NO CHANCE!
VIOLENCE!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2022, 06:33:10 PM »
Buzz level success?

Buzz went to 5 NCAA Tournaments in 6 years.

3 Sweet 16s, an Elite 8, and a Big East Title.

Where do I sign up to make this bet? NO CHANCE!

High bar for sure

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2022, 06:33:37 PM »

He has no one in front of him, with shoulders square and a decent look at the basket. Creighton could not have asked for much better than that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2022, 06:41:37 PM »
He has no one in front of him, with shoulders square and a decent look at the basket. Creighton could not have asked for much better than that.

Yep - a closely guarded, off the dribble fade away 30 footer is a great look.

feedback