[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 174162 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2021, 10:15:26 AM »
While Greg has been a nice addition to the team the past few games, I think there is very little chance he returns next season.

panda

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
This take is pure speculation as is those from the other side - However I could certainly make the argument that it’s a no brainer Greg stays. He’s playing the best basketball of his career and in what’s becoming a prominent role. He’s not going to get big time pro looks so why not run it back if MU’s prospects for next year are good?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »
This take is pure speculation as is those from the other side - However I could certainly make the argument that it’s a no brainer Greg stays. He’s playing the best basketball of his career and in what’s becoming a prominent role. He’s not going to get big time pro looks so why not run it back if MU’s prospects for next year are good?

And get his PhD while he's at it!  ;D

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2021, 10:43:25 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2021, 11:14:54 AM »
Will we average over 59.5 points per game in 2022?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2021, 11:19:14 AM »
Will we average over 59.5 points per game in 2022?

Need to average 50.7 points per game for the rest of the season, if all of our Big East games are played and the last game we play this year (which it would be if we average 50.7 points per game for the rest of the season) is the one game in the Big East Tournament we would get.

Going to be a close call.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2021, 11:28:13 AM »
Need to average 50.7 points per game for the rest of the season, if all of our Big East games are played and the last game we play this year (which it would be if we average 50.7 points per game for the rest of the season) is the one game in the Big East Tournament we would get.

I love how this has turned into a scoop meme.  This team, outside of Lewis - who I love but is becoming a big of chucker (largely by necessity) - is really not very good at scoring the basketball whatsoever.  Which was the point.   They're averaging 68.5 PPG against non-cupcake teams, and have been largely outclassed against all good teams they've played short of a clearly overrated Illinois playing without their PreSeason All American.

So I would say the concern that this team isn't very good at scoring the basketball has been largely accurate.  There really hasn't even been any pleasant surprises.  Morsell has been mostly bad on offense since the first few games, and while Jones has provided more than I anticipated, he's not exactly lighting it up at 7.7 PPG. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2021, 11:33:42 AM »
Before the season, I worried about where the scoring and 3 point shooting would come from and predicted there would be games where the half court offense broke down and MU scored in the 50's.   12 games in and MU has finished in the fifties twice.  So, I was right.   And yes, it has become a meme.    Makes me laugh every time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 12:24:42 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2021, 12:15:47 PM »

You forgot to factor in a couple 2-0 W/Ls, that'll bring us the average down a lot, even if they are Ws!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2021, 12:23:09 PM »
I love how this has turned into a scoop meme.  This team, outside of Lewis - who I love but is becoming a big of chucker (largely by necessity) - is really not very good at scoring the basketball whatsoever.  Which was the point.   They're averaging 68.5 PPG against non-cupcake teams, and have been largely outclassed against all good teams they've played short of a clearly overrated Illinois playing without their PreSeason All American.

So I would say the concern that this team isn't very good at scoring the basketball has been largely accurate.  There really hasn't even been any pleasant surprises.  Morsell has been mostly bad on offense since the first few games, and while Jones has provided more than I anticipated, he's not exactly lighting it up at 7.7 PPG.

We are averaging 73 points per game on the season. Yes, if you take away all the high scoring games, the scoring average would be bad.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2021, 12:40:34 PM »
If Greg returns he'll eclipse Otule's tenure, no?  Perhaps he's going for the years at MU record (as an eligible hoops player...).

I saw Traci Carter played for Hartford the other day. For context, he was a freshman in the class with Henry Ellenson, Matt Heldt, and Sacar Anim.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
While Greg has been a nice addition to the team the past few games, I think there is very little chance he returns next season.

I'm glad to see you're coming around a little on Greg. And I'm doubly glad that Shaka didn't listen to those who considered Greg not worth keeping -- as if 45%+ 3-point shooters are easy to find.

We already have a horrible 3-point shooting squad. Without Greg's 50% this season, our team percentage would barely be 30%.

Going forward, Shaka's biggest challenge with Greg might be to figure out what the ideal amount of PT is for an increasingly valuable player who has been hurt a lot and who is not used to max minutes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2021, 01:54:17 PM »

I won't say I am coming around on GE, just being a team player on scoop. He is the best shooter at the moment and that is needed big time. Overall, happy to see him play a role this year and hopefully next year there will be a really skilled portal guy filling that spot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2021, 02:14:42 PM »
Fair enough, Goose.

Maybe when Greg's hitting 60% and the rest of the team's at 20%, you'll come around on GE!

(Hopefully, the second of those two stats doesn't happen!!)

I'm also hopeful that Shaka finds a really skilled player for that spot. And for the PG, 3 and 5 spots, too. We need more talent up and down the lineup.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2021, 03:14:51 PM »
Fair enough, Goose.

Maybe when Greg's hitting 60% and the rest of the team's at 20%, you'll come around on GE!

(Hopefully, the second of those two stats doesn't happen!!)

I'm also hopeful that Shaka finds a really skilled player for that spot. And for the PG, 3 and 5 spots, too. We need more talent up and down the lineup.
Greg has been a very consistent and solid player . Guys who can shoot 3s at the rate he does don’t grow on trees .

Greg has had to overcome a lot of injuries over the years . However , he has shown on multiple occasions when he is healthy that he is a Big East Level guard .

Greg is also a fiery and aggressive player and we need that kind of spirit on the team.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2021, 03:20:00 PM »
Greg has been a very consistent and solid player . Guys who can shoot 3s at the rate he does don’t grow on trees .

Greg has had to overcome a lot of injuries over the years . However , he has shown on multiple occasions when he is healthy that he is a Big East Level guard .

Greg is also a fiery and aggressive player and we need that kind of spirit on the team.

I agree with every word of that, 9-9-9.

Greg's not a great defender and sometimes his handle is loose, but he is one of the best shooters anywhere, and he appears to be a wonderful teammate. Even during his suspension, he usually was the first off the bench to cheer on his fellow players. I've always loved his spirit.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2021, 06:02:11 PM »
I agree with every word of that, 9-9-9.

Greg's not a great defender and sometimes his handle is loose, but he is one of the best shooters anywhere, and he appears to be a wonderful teammate. Even during his suspension, he usually was the first off the bench to cheer on his fellow players. I've always loved his spirit.

He also has good body control and a large wing span that allows him to finish at the rim better than most of our guards.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2021, 09:25:37 PM »
He also has good body control and a large wing span that allows him to finish at the rim better than most of our guards.

You’re right.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2021, 01:33:16 PM »
We are averaging 73 points per game on the season. Yes, if you take away all the high scoring games, the scoring average would be bad.
\

I didn't take away the high scoring games, I took away the games against garbage opponents.  If you don't think scoring the basketball is a major issue for this team, you either haven't been watching, or have the darkest of all tinted blue and gold glasses.  Offense is a major issue for this team, as many of us expected heading into the season. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2021, 01:37:11 PM »
\

I didn't take away the high scoring games, I took away the games against garbage opponents.  If you don't think scoring the basketball is a major issue for this team, you either haven't been watching, or have the darkest of all tinted blue and gold glasses.  Offense is a major issue for this team, as many of us expected heading into the season.

The rebounding is a much bigger concern for me personally.  We scored enough to win against Xavier and Wisconsin.  Yes, there will be nights where we lay an egg (UCLA, St. Bonne's), but that's true of most college basketball teams.  Unless you're one of the very top teams, you're going to have nights where you just couldn't throw the ball in the ocean if you were standing next to it.  Overall the offense is "good enough" to get us into the Tournament.  It's certainly not as good as a Markus Howard led offense, but it's not something that will prevent us from being a competitive team.  Rebounding and giving up easy transition baskets are things that we are going to struggle with every night.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2021, 01:43:24 PM »
J5

I do not think scoring is a major issue, being efficient is a major issue. This is not an offensive powerhouse by any means, but scoring points is number three in things for improvement for me. Rebounding better and eliminating sloppy turnovers are bigger issues than the points being scored. If they tidy up those two things, they will score more points as well.

panda

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2021, 01:45:12 PM »
J5

I do not think scoring is a major issue, being efficient is a major issue. This is not an offensive powerhouse by any means, but scoring points is number three in things for improvement for me. Rebounding better and eliminating sloppy turnovers are bigger issues than the points being scored. If they tidy up those two things, they will score more points as well.

This current group will never become a consistent offensive juggernaut this season. They absolutely can improve rebounding.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2021, 08:37:55 PM »
Hopefully Stevie and OMax define “the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores. Stevie not close to ready and OMax can’t even catch the ball right now. They’ll need to get up to speed quickly if Morsell is out more than tonight.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2021, 09:23:53 PM »
I did not understand why OMAX was recruited to begin with/  he has done nothing.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2021, 09:55:48 PM »
If they return…

I just don’t see a way that Omax works at this level, but I’d love to be proven wrong. After all, Shaka saw something in the early stages to have him in the starting five. I can see Ellis taking a step up but him and Itijere are likely backup role players until further along in their careers.

No idea about the incoming freshmen, but I think Shaka makes it a yearly trend to try to bring in 2-3 impact transfers to complement his younger core. Likely upperclassmen, including one that will be expected to score in bunches and another that will be an impact athletic big.

For next season he might need more than 2-3.

If Justin doesn’t return that would be a very bad thing.

What does this guy know

feedback