[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 178278 times)

Tha Hound

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2021, 10:27:22 PM »
nvm

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2021, 09:59:29 AM »
ESPN 2022 NBA Mock Draft Update as of this morning.

Justin Lewis 35th Overall Pick.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2021, 10:02:33 AM »
ESPN 2022 NBA Mock Draft Update as of this morning.

Justin Lewis 35th Overall Pick.

Selfishly, I want JL to be around next season. Heck, I'd love to see him on our team for 2 more years.

But I'm really rooting for him to play his way into the first round. He's got a lot of heart and a good amount of talent, too. He's barely scratched the surface of what he can be.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2021, 10:04:44 AM »
Selfishly, I want JL to be around next season. Heck, I'd love to see him on our team for 2 more years.

But I'm really rooting for him to play his way into the first round. He's got a lot of heart and a good amount of talent, too. He's barely scratched the surface of what he can be.

Can't imagine a scenario where he is back. Good for him!
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2021, 10:18:29 AM »
Can't imagine a scenario where he is back. Good for him!

Well, I can "imagine" him not playing as well and falling down on the list. But I don't think that's what will happen. More likely he'll play himself into even better draft position. I hope so!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2021, 10:37:46 AM »
I think Justin need to work on his 3 point shooting to be an NBA draftee next spring at this point.  He is 6 of his last 37 attempts or 16%.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2021, 10:42:33 AM »
Fair.    He is unlikely to be able to bully-ball his way to the hoop in the NBA.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2021, 11:13:30 AM »
Lewis at #35 overall in 2022??  I'm no pessimist, but that sounds COMPLETELY decoupled from reality.  That's somewhere in the neighborhood of Jaquez and Juzang from UCLA.

If he has a breakout season from here on in, he might have a chance to go that high.  But as of today I have to believe that's at least 20 picks too high.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2021, 11:32:29 AM »
Lewis at #35 overall in 2022??  I'm no pessimist, but that sounds COMPLETELY decoupled from reality.  That's somewhere in the neighborhood of Jaquez and Juzang from UCLA.

If he has a breakout season from here on in, he might have a chance to go that high.  But as of today I have to believe that's at least 20 picks too high.

Yes. 35 in 2022, meaning he likely has about 3 months left at Marquette. Could he benefit from another year here, of course, but guys typically head out ASAP.

Unfortunate for the outlook of next season, but you have to be happy for the kid.
VIOLENCE!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »
Lewis is undersized power forward and not good enough shooter to be a small forward.  He needs at least 1 more year in college.  I watched DJ Carton in the G league
game and he really needed more time in college.  He is very athletic but has no mid range game, no jumper what so ever, and a very slow release on his 3 point shot.
He did not look to happy sitting on the bench.  Lewis will be doing the same thing, playing in the G league infront of no fans,  should stay.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »
Lewis is undersized power forward and not good enough shooter to be a small forward.  He needs at least 1 more year in college.  I watched DJ Carton in the G league
game and he really needed more time in college.  He is very athletic but has no mid range game, no jumper what so ever, and a very slow release on his 3 point shot.
He did not look to happy sitting on the bench.  Lewis will be doing the same thing, playing in the G league infront of no fans,  should stay.

Needing more time in college is irrelevant to most kids when money gets introduced.  Why go to college and have to take classes, and trudge through Milwaukee winters when you can focus on basketball 100% of the time AND get paid?  Justin has very little shot of playing in the NBA next year, but I fully expect him to be cashing a paycheck to play.  And its hard to blame him.

Would another year playing against lesser players help his NBA chances?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But its a tough thing to sell when you're walking away from $.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2021, 12:55:36 PM »
Guys,

Lewis can be collecting a paycheck at MU next year. The NIL might end being a very good thing for the program because they are not competing with a football team for money. If I were Shaka and would be recruiting NIL money as much as I was recruiting players. There is plenty of $$$ to support the MU program and it needs to be tapped into. I hope we exceed the luxury tax in short order.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2021, 12:59:02 PM »
Needing more time in college is irrelevant to most kids when money gets introduced.  Why go to college and have to take classes, and trudge through Milwaukee winters when you can focus on basketball 100% of the time AND get paid?  Justin has very little shot of playing in the NBA next year, but I fully expect him to be cashing a paycheck to play.  And its hard to blame him.

Would another year playing against lesser players help his NBA chances?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But its a tough thing to sell when you're walking away from $.

Yep. Some just can't wrap their heads around this, JJJJJJJJJJJJ.

"But he's not ready!" is meaningless.

Lewis can be collecting a paycheck at MU next year. The NIL might end being a very good thing for the program because they are not competing with a football team for money. If I were Shaka and would be recruiting NIL money as much as I was recruiting players. There is plenty of $$$ to support the MU program and it needs to be tapped into. I hope we exceed the luxury tax in short order.

I like this a lot, Goose.

Whether it actually will prevent a guy from leaving -- especially if the guy's gonna be a first-round draft pick -- we can't know that yet. But yes, we need lots of NIL $$$ to come into this program from the kinds of boosters who felt strongly enough about our program that they were willing to pony up millions to make the Wojo-for-Shaka trade happen.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2021, 01:02:47 PM »
Guys,

Great point Goose and I agree whole heartedly.  Now that it’s here, we need a whole department dedicated to it and I’ve been saying that since the conversation of NIL started. Beat the money bushes MU!!!

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2021, 01:10:26 PM »
None of u actually think MU is gonna
go after NIL money, do u ??

And ... J Lewis leaves, next year will be in the range of bad or worse...

Meaning 7th place or below

Goose

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2021, 01:17:23 PM »
There is plenty of dough out there to help make the guys live a little bit nicer. We are a basketball school and only need to support 12 guys vs. a football school and there are more than enough guys to foot the bill. The sooner they start to win, the easier it is getting into booster's pockets. Hell, I gladly would volunteer to chase down easy money for the guys.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2021, 01:34:38 PM »
There is plenty of dough out there to help make the guys live a little bit nicer. We are a basketball school and only need to support 12 guys vs. a football school and there are more than enough guys to foot the bill. The sooner they start to win, the easier it is getting into booster's pockets. Hell, I gladly would volunteer to chase down easy money for the guys.

I assume there is an ocean between making enough money to "live a little nicer" via NIL and making a couple hundred grand to play overseas, or make less $ in the G League but chase your dream of playing in the NBA. 

I don't know enough about NIL to know what kind of $ Justin could bring in next year via that.  But I have to imagine its miniscule compared to what he could make professionally.  This stuff matters.

You also have to consider the high number of blue blood type prgorams that are certain to be reaching out via back channels to tell him to come hone his skills there for a year before the NBA. 

Really hope the kid comes back.  It will make an enormous difference on what next season looks like.  Justin is a really good player. But its naïve to expect very many really good high major players to last 4 or even 3 years in one place these days.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2021, 02:57:28 PM »
I assume there is an ocean between making enough money to "live a little nicer" via NIL and making a couple hundred grand to play overseas, or make less $ in the G League but chase your dream of playing in the NBA. 

I don't know enough about NIL to know what kind of $ Justin could bring in next year via that.  But I have to imagine its miniscule compared to what he could make professionally.  This stuff matters.

You also have to consider the high number of blue blood type prgorams that are certain to be reaching out via back channels to tell him to come hone his skills there for a year before the NBA. 

Really hope the kid comes back.  It will make an enormous difference on what next season looks like.  Justin is a really good player. But its naïve to expect very many really good high major players to last 4 or even 3 years in one place these days.

Speaking of NIL money

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXykJJQLCq-/?utm_medium=copy_link

Justin is on the board as of this morning per his Instagram page.
VIOLENCE!

panda

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2021, 03:35:31 PM »
Speaking of NIL money

That's awesome good for him.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2021, 03:36:58 PM »
Yes. 35 in 2022, meaning he likely has about 3 months left at Marquette. Could he benefit from another year here, of course, but guys typically head out ASAP.

Unfortunate for the outlook of next season, but you have to be happy for the kid.
happy for him if he’s a 1st round NBA draft choice. For sure. 2nd rd pick? Don’t go.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2021, 05:22:47 PM »
Guys,

He is likely to transfer, if he wants NIL money.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 11:29:37 AM by bilsu »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2021, 07:57:55 PM »
Speaking of NIL money

Great to see that.

happy for him if he’s a 1st round NBA draft choice. For sure. 2nd rd pick? Don’t go.

Or, how 'bout ...

2nd rd pick? Go if that's what you want to do, or stay if that's what you want to do.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2021, 10:23:17 PM »
Great to see that.

Or, how 'bout ...

2nd rd pick? Go if that's what you want to do, or stay if that's what you want to do.
[/quote. I stated an opinion. Why the dick factor?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2021, 12:17:54 AM »
Speaking of NIL money

That deal is maybe a couple hundred, but more likely a product trade. Outside of the big players (Cavender Twins, Becca Ripley, Bryce Young and other QB’s, Olivia Dunne, Dawson Garcia, the Jackson State dude), NIL deals have been rather small monetarily and more often for product.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2021, 08:55:07 AM »
From an AP article:

Most athletes are not making big money from NIL compensation, according to Opendorse, a company that helps athletes navigate the NIL landscape. The median for all DI student athletes between July 1 and Nov. 30 was just $6 per month.

But for those who actually land an NIL deal, the average compensation was $1,256, or $250 a month, said Blake Lawrence, the company’s chief executive officer.