[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 179021 times)

Boone

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »
Believe Wrightsil official visit scheduled for Thurs

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2022, 09:40:50 AM »
Actually...it wouldn't be an open roster spot. Greg would take a spot from either an incoming transfer or someone already committed. We are currently at 12, which goes to 11 if Justin is gone. Since he said it was his last game at Fiserv and Shaka said it was his last game with the team, I imagine his announcement will either be pro, into the transfer portal, or transferring and simultaneously announcing his destination.

As far as incoming...probably worth keeping an eye on Thursday. Signing day is Wednesday, but last year all the commits were supposed to be announced on April 14, which is "414 Day" in Milwaukee. Ellis accidentally posted his commit announcement, but most of the rest (Kolek, O-Max, Joplin, Itejere) came out within a few minutes of each other on 414 Day. I'm guessing we may see an announcement from Justin as well as an incoming name or two on Thursday.

Wrightsil's visit is thursday. Also, the banquet is tonight.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2022, 09:55:48 AM »
Greg Elliott making his decision soon.

Not sure if Marquette is even on the table but we could use the open roster spot.

I like Greg a lot. Hard-working young man who overcame several injuries to contribute big-time to a few exciting wins this season. Also seemed like a great guy to have on the team, always the first off the bench to cheer on his teammates. But his shot left him during the team's late fade, when we desperately needed a couple of players to make 3s. It wasn't his fault we lost, but he certainly wasn't part of the solution.

Like most others here, I'm hoping he moves on (and I think he will), and I wish him nothing but good fortune.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2022, 10:19:49 AM »
Greg Elliott making his decision soon.

Not sure if Marquette is even on the table but we could use the open roster spot.

Adios, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2022, 10:47:08 AM »
Actually...it wouldn't be an open roster spot. Greg would take a spot from either an incoming transfer or someone already committed. We are currently at 12, which goes to 11 if Justin is gone. Since he said it was his last game at Fiserv and Shaka said it was his last game with the team, I imagine his announcement will either be pro, into the transfer portal, or transferring and simultaneously announcing his destination.

As far as incoming...probably worth keeping an eye on Thursday. Signing day is Wednesday, but last year all the commits were supposed to be announced on April 14, which is "414 Day" in Milwaukee. Ellis accidentally posted his commit announcement, but most of the rest (Kolek, O-Max, Joplin, Itejere) came out within a few minutes of each other on 414 Day. I'm guessing we may see an announcement from Justin as well as an incoming name or two on Thursday.

Justin's birthday tomorrow.  Wouldn't surprise me to see him enter his name into the NBA Draft on his Birthday in some form or fashion, whether maintaining eligibility or not.

As far as Greg, I mostly meant I think we could benefit from him going elsewhere to have that roster spot available. He's awesome, but it seems like it's time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 10:50:39 AM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2022, 10:58:40 AM »
Laughingly, I agree with you. Most here are saying Justin will go pro (G-league, Europe, NBA) because of the money he can earn. The next MU player that has a decent season most here will say he will go pro for the money. Yeah, its great for the player, but not Marquette basketball if you want post season success. At this point another National Championship is pipe dream.

You realize that this impacts all teams equally right? All teams have to deal with their players potentially going pro early.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2022, 12:15:08 PM »
You realize that this impacts all teams equally right? All teams have to deal with their players potentially going pro early.

....but will the impact be equal? St. Peters success was short lived. Sure the Coach left and the school is holding the short stick. So no it does not impact all teams equally whether they leave for the pros or the transfer portal. I doubt MU will suffer St. Peters fate but you never know.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/saint-peters-basketball-trio-enters-152402504.html

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2022, 12:18:09 PM »
....but will the impact be equal? St. Peters success was short lived. Sure the Coach left and the school is holding the short stick. So no it does not impact all teams equally whether they leave for the pros or the transfer portal. I doubt MU will suffer St. Peters fate but you never know.

No the impact won't be equal.  But since when do people care about equality in college sports?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2022, 12:30:55 PM »

No the impact won't be equal.  But since when do people care about equality in college sports?

So we agree.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2022, 12:30:56 PM »
Laughingly, I agree with you. Most here are saying Justin will go pro (G-league, Europe, NBA) because of the money he can earn. The next MU player that has a decent season most here will say he will go pro for the money. Yeah, its great for the player, but not Marquette basketball if you want post season success. At this point another National Championship is pipe dream.

Regarding players with pro prospects, that's the case everywhere. Like Gary Parrish frequently says, it's when programs bring back that key borderline NBA talent (like Kansas did with Ochai Agbaji) that they have the chance to break through. If Lewis comes back, our ceiling is significantly higher. If not, it's lower. But I do think the reason this roster is being built like it is has the future of transfers in mind.

Guys like Kolek and O-Max should be here another 2-3 years. The freshman heavy class will be here. If someone blows up and goes early, that probably means team success helps fuel that early entry.

As far as another national title, it was also a pipe dream for Villanova in 2014. It's a pipe dream for us just like it is for everyone else in our league that isn't Villanova right now. Hell, Self is the first Kansas coach to EVER win two national titles, so maybe that one was a pipe dream. It's a pipe dream for everyone and stays that way until you hit the right combination of lightning in the bottle. You hope to get the right coach in place and give them time and enough kicks at the can to break through. We'll see if that works for us, but it's a pipe dream everywhere.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2022, 12:45:11 PM »

1. Marquette is not St. Peter's
2. You were talking about player's going pro early, not the transfer portal, two very different beasts
3. Whether you are talking about the transfer portal or players going pro early, the programs are just as unequal as they were before. Nothing has changed. If schools like Baylor and Villanova can win national titles, then so can schools like Marquette. Doesn't mean they will but players going pro or transferring won't be what holds them back.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 12:53:09 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2022, 01:26:51 PM »

As far as another national title, it was also a pipe dream for Villanova in 2014. It's a pipe dream for us just like it is for everyone else in our league that isn't Villanova right now.

Yep. And yep.

For example, I think if we threw a question to the board about whether MU or UConn is closer to big-time success, many (most?) would say UConn.

But why? Hurley has proven nothing; one could easily argue that, looking at their overall bodies of work, Shaka has proven far more. But none of that matters because it's the past, and only the future means anything. And none of us knows what the future holds for Marquette or UConn. Or even for Villanova, for that matter.

I choose to believe that Shaka is steering Marquette in the right direction until he proves otherwise. Others are free to believe that Marquette basketball is forever doomed to mediocrity, if that's what makes them "happy."

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2022, 01:54:05 PM »
Having big-time basketball success is a lot harder now than it used to be simply because there are a lot more really good players spread out among teams. You used to be able to dominate with two stars and three solid role players and MU has had many teams like that over the years. (1977, for example.) But that doesn't quite get you there now unless the two stars are really something. These days, the stars have to be brighter and the role players have to be a lot better - and you have to have some luck along the way. (Of course, I am overlooking Ja Morant and his Murray State team, but a Ja Morant does not come along very often.)

If Lewis does return, which I seriously doubt, the team will certainly be better. The question is whether he is ready to put the team on his back and take them into battle. I have not seen that kind of personality from Justin yet, but this is the year to show it if he returns.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2022, 01:56:39 PM »
Having big-time basketball success is a lot harder now than it used to be simply because there are a lot more really good players spread out among teams. You used to be able to dominate with two stars and three solid role players and MU has had many teams like that over the years. (1977, for example.) But that doesn't quite get you there now unless the two stars are really something. These days, the stars have to be brighter and the role players have to be a lot better - and you have to have some luck along the way. (Of course, I am overlooking Ja Morant and his Murray State team, but a Ja Morant does not come along very often.)

If Lewis does return, which I seriously doubt, the team will certainly be better. The question is whether he is ready to put the team on his back and take them into battle. I have not seen that kind of personality from Justin yet, but this is the year to show it if he returns.

What do you mean you haven't seen it?

He literally was just 1st Team All Big East in his first season starting in the Big East.

Swept Nova with him as the leader. Went into Seton Hall and swept them on the back of a 30+ point performance.  How have you not seen it? Were your eyes open?
VIOLENCE!

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2022, 02:45:46 PM »
1. Marquette is not St. Peter's
2. You were talking about player's going pro early, not the transfer portal, two very different beasts
3. Whether you are talking about the transfer portal or players going pro early, the programs are just as unequal as they were before. Nothing has changed. If schools like Baylor and Villanova can win national titles, then so can schools like Marquette. Doesn't mean they will but players going pro or transferring won't be what holds them back.

No they aren’t.  St Peters actually has won an NCAA tournament game in recent history.  Last time Marquette won in the tourney Obama was President. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2022, 02:57:16 PM »
No they aren’t.  St Peters actually has won an NCAA tournament game in recent history.  Last time Marquette won in the tourney Obama was President.

Ok you had to be crying when you typed this one.
VIOLENCE!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2022, 03:39:47 PM »
April 14, which is "414 Day" in Milwaukee

Never would have pegged Shaka as a Burt Gummer fan.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2022, 03:42:00 PM »
So we agree.

Why should the impact be equal? Has it been equal for Duke or Kentucky who lose guys after one year on a regular basis. And even then, there is no quantifiable way to even know if it helps or hurts for guys to leave early. If there weren't 5 or 6 guys going pro from Duke, how would they even be able to recruit 6 top 50 guys?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2022, 02:55:52 PM »
https://youtu.be/vikysx4xJpI

Thought I'd share this short feature on OMax.

He is going to be a really good player for Marquette. Finished his 1st year strong.

Thanks for sharing.  What a great kid, with a great a spirit and great upside.  Think he has serious NBA potential.  Expecting a big jump next season for O-Max. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2022, 03:40:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  What a great kid, with a great a spirit and great upside.  Think he has serious NBA potential.  Expecting a big jump next season for O-Max.

Thanks for posting. Great video. He's lucky to have a wonderful family, and he seems to have a terrific attitude.

I got a kick out of his own parents calling him O-Max.

We'll need the max out of O-Max next season!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2022, 06:27:00 PM »
I am looking forward to next year. i will enjoy the team, if we are winning. I will enjoy the melt down on MUScoop, if we are losing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2022, 06:33:42 PM »
I am looking forward to next year. i will enjoy the team, if we are winning. I will enjoy the melt down on MUScoop, if we are losing.

I mean, you get the meltdown either way.  They could go 37-2 and win the national title and plenty of posters would relitigate the two losses for the next decade
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2022, 06:59:05 PM »
I mean, you get the meltdown either way.  They could go 37-2 and win the national title and plenty of posters would relitigate the two losses for the next decade

Well Shaka did make some unthinkable decisions in those two losses.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2022, 08:56:29 PM »
Well Shaka did make some unthinkable decisions in those two losses.

Both of which were to Creighton on last second three point shots.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2022, 09:08:55 PM »
Both of which were to Creighton on last second three point shots.
Soo we'll lose twice to Creighton on our Natty run? I'll take it brother dgies
Goal is National Championship

feedback