[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 179061 times)

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2022, 05:55:52 AM »
"Well Shaka did make some unthinkable decisions in those two losses."

Anyone who has ever coached any team knows: A win is always credited to the players. A loss is always the fault of the coach.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 05:58:41 AM by RubyWiscy »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2022, 07:03:15 AM »
Soo we'll lose twice to Creighton on our Natty run? I'll take it brother dgies

But one of those losses cost him the Big East Tournament title, so clearly a less than perfect season. And we still won't have played in a Big East final.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2022, 10:01:54 AM »
As it stands this very moment in time I think the depth chart is as follows:

Kolek/S. Jones/Ellis
K. Jones/Mitchell
Prosper/Ross
Joplin/Gold/Itejere
Ighodaro

There are 2 spots available and Wrightsil seems to be on the verge of taking 1 of those 2 spots. Pure speculation, but the hope seems to be

Kolek/S. Jones
Ramey/K. Jones/Mitchell
Prosper/Joplin/Ross
Wrightsil/Gold/Itejere
Washington/Ighodaro

Update: Wrightsil and the official MarquetteMBB account now follow each other on Instagram. Seems like he's all but decided on his future. Probably just waiting for his visit tomorrow to confirm his thoughts.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 10:23:56 AM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2022, 10:34:09 AM »

Kolek/S. Jones
Ramey/K. Jones/Mitchell
Prosper/Joplin/Ross
Wrightsil/Gold/Itejere
Washington/Ighodaro

Update: Wrightsil and the official MarquetteMBB account now follow each other on Instagram. Seems like he's all but decided on his future. Probably just waiting for his visit tomorrow to confirm his thoughts.

Is the Ellis omission intentional?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2022, 10:40:01 AM »
Is the Ellis omission intentional?

For that roster to be possible there would need to be 1 transfer and he was just the most obvious potential transfer should Ramey, Wrightsil, and Washington all be real commits (which probably isn't likely).

Ellis was just buried last year on the depth chart and seems to be sliding further down with the additions of Jones and Ross. He may very well stay with Marquette but with that proposed lineup, someone had to be removed. I think Wrightsil and Washington are the 2 biggest targets with Ramey being more of a hope to complete the retool.

VIOLENCE!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2022, 10:43:51 AM »
As it stands this very moment in time I think the depth chart is as follows:

Kolek/S. Jones/Ellis
K. Jones/Mitchell
Prosper/Ross
Joplin/Gold/Itejere
Ighodaro

There are 2 spots available and Wrightsil seems to be on the verge of taking 1 of those 2 spots. Pure speculation, but the hope seems to be

Kolek/S. Jones
Ramey/K. Jones/Mitchell
Prosper/Joplin/Ross
Wrightsil/Gold/Itejere
Washington/Ighodaro

Haven't been following too closely lately, who is Wrightsil? 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2022, 10:45:21 AM »
Haven't been following too closely lately, who is Wrightsil?

Zach Wrightsil 6-6 F
NAIA POY
Visiting 4/14

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2022, 10:45:57 AM »
Zach Wrightsil 6-6 F
NAIA POY
Visiting 4/14

Thanks.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
VIOLENCE!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2022, 10:52:15 AM »
Why is it assumed that Ellis will be behind Ross and Jones? I don’t expect him to be a world beater, but I expect him to be remain here and contribute next year.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2022, 10:55:03 AM »
Why is it assumed that Ellis will be behind Ross and Jones? I don’t expect him to be a world beater, but I expect him to be remain here and contribute next year.

I dont think it's a guarantee he'll be behind Ross, but it's a possibility.

Jones is a lock to be the backup PG and depending on what happens with the rest of the roster could end up seeing some starts and/or starters minutes. He's much more advanced in all aspects to that of Ellis.
VIOLENCE!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2022, 10:57:21 AM »
And this conclusion is based of high school highlight videos correct?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »
And this conclusion is based of high school highlight videos correct?

Somewhat but also not really.

Results go out the window when analyzing a high schooler about to make the jump to College. It has everything to do with skillset and what they bring to the table.

Jones is a better scorer, he's faster, he's more athletic, has better on ball defending skills, and because of those 1st three traits a better playmaker.
VIOLENCE!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2022, 11:16:05 AM »
Somewhat but also not really.

Results go out the window when analyzing a high schooler about to make the jump to College. It has everything to do with skillset and what they bring to the table.

Jones is a better scorer, he's faster, he's more athletic, has better on ball defending skills, and because of those 1st three traits a better playmaker.

Once again, how are you drawing these conclusions? Have you seen extensive full games of Jones content or just mixtapes and highlight videos? Because I’m fairly certain that I could find highlight video where Ellis looks great too.

If some “is a lock” I feel like one anonymous analysis isn’t really sufficient. The known facts are that Ellis is taller, stronger, has more D1 experience, has more experience in Shaka’s system, and has better chemistry with the current players than Jones does. To say that Jones is still a lock to be ahead of him as a Freshman just based on perceived skill set is a bit of a stretch IMO.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2022, 11:20:34 AM »
Once again, how are you drawing these conclusions? Have you seen extensive full games of Jones content or just mixtapes and highlight videos? Because I’m fairly certain that I could find highlight video where Ellis looks great too.

If some “is a lock” I feel like one anonymous analysis isn’t really sufficient. The known facts are that Ellis is taller, stronger, has more D1 experience, has more experience in Shaka’s system, and has better chemistry with the current players than Jones does. To say that Jones is still a lock to be ahead of him as a Freshman just based on perceived skill set is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Jones is most definitely stronger as well, so you are wrong there. Ellis could develop, but in terms of where they are right now I don't think it's close.

Also Ellis is likely more of a combo guard and was always going to be a work in progress with a lot of potential. His other offers outside of Texas where Shaka was initially were Bryant, UW-Milwaukee and Louisiana Tech.

Jones is a true PG and more advance at this point in time.
VIOLENCE!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2022, 11:33:07 AM »
I dont think it's a guarantee he'll be behind Ross, but it's a possibility.

Jones is a lock to be the backup PG and depending on what happens with the rest of the roster could end up seeing some starts and/or starters minutes. He's much more advanced in all aspects to that of Ellis.

Jones is a "lock" to be backup PG over a guy who is bigger, has a year in college and the system under his belt, gained the trust of the staff and team down the stretch, and was a more highly regarded recruit a year ago? (aka Stevie Mitchell)
Hmmm. Time will tell, I suppose.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2022, 11:33:28 AM »
So you’re just not going to answer my question? Have you seen Jones play a full game in person or have you only seen YouTube highlights of him?

The Scoop has a history of way overrating incoming freshman before they take a step on campus and underrating the natural year to year progression that players take once they’ve arrived. I’m just trying to figure out if that’s what you’re doing.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2022, 11:39:43 AM »
So you’re just not going to answer my question? Have you seen Jones play a full game in person or have you only seen YouTube highlights of him?

The Scoop has a history of way overrating incoming freshman before they take a step on campus and underrating the natural year to year progression that players take once they’ve arrived. I’m just trying to figure out if that’s what you’re doing.

I haven't seen much for "highlights" on either player.

I've seen full games of Sean Jones and seen Ellis play in person.

Jones is more advanced as a PG. Ellis may have a high upside but it probably isn't as a PG, especially with how this roster is constructed.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2022, 11:43:58 AM »
OFFICIAL: International Standout Ben Gold Signs With Marquette, New Zealand native joins MU from NBA Global Academy

The Marquette University men's basketball team has signed Ben Gold (Wellington, New Zealand/NBA Global Academy) to a National Letter of Intent, head coach Shaka Smart announced Wednesday morning.

Gold (6-11, 220 pounds) will arrive on campus this spring and have four seasons of eligibility with the Golden Eagles.

The Wellington, New Zealand native was the first Kiwi selected to the NBA Global Academy in Canberra, Australia and is the academy's first product from New Zealand to sign with a NCAA Division I program.  Gold traveled to Las Vegas in 2021 with NBA Academy Latin America to compete against the top prep teams in the nation at the Tarkanian Classic and the G League Showcase.  He finished with 22 points and eight rebounds in just 25 minutes at the showcase in a matchup against NBA Academy Africa to conclude the trip.

Gold played for Basketball New Zealand at the FIBA Basketball World Cub Qualifiers in Manila, Philippines, in late February of 2022.  He also represented his country at the U15, U16 and U17 levels, including the FIBA U15 Oceania Championships in 2018.
Gold also led Wellington Basketball to the U17 Aon National Championship in 2018 and was named to the all-tourney squad in 2019.

Current Marquette player Olivier-Maxence is also a product of the NBA Academy Latin America program. NBA Academy is a year-round elite basketball development program that provides top high school-age athletes from outside the U.S. with a holistic approach to player development and a predictable pathway to maximize their potential.

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1514270317794975745?t=zmcb15xy7ZVYp0McnNJODA&s=19

VIOLENCE!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2022, 11:47:00 AM »
I haven't seen much for "highlights" on either player.

I've seen full games of Sean Jones and seen Ellis play in person.

Jones is more advanced as a PG. Ellis may have a high upside but it probably isn't as a PG, especially with how this roster is constructed.

Forgive me for still being hesitant. I’ve seen way to many players overhyped before they play a minute of D1 ball.

I’ll still continue to prefer the 6’-5” player with experience over the 5’-10” player without it, especially in the Beast.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2022, 11:51:25 AM »
Forgive me for still being hesitant. I’ve seen way to many players overhyped before they play a minute of D1 ball.

I’ll still continue to prefer the 6’-5” player with experience over the 5’-10” player without it, especially in the Beast.

Jones is listed at 6'0" (but is probably actually 5'10"). However, barring some impressive offseason work by Ellis, I'm pretty confident then when they get measured for the official roster, Jones will be heavier than Ellis. Dude is built like a running back.

I've watched a few full games of Jones. I like him a lot and if Ellis were to not improve over the offseason, I would definitely pick Jones ahead of him on the depth chart. However, the staff has consistently said that Ellis has NBA level upside but needs to time to get there. If the staff isn't blowing smoke, I could see Ellis making a significant jump.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2022, 11:52:41 AM »

You have the right to you're own opinion.

Last point, Ellis doesn't really have much experience. EE played 27 total Big East minutes.

9 of which came against Creighton in a game Kam missed with COVID. 11 in 2 wins against Georgetown, 5 in a 30+ point blowout of Providence, and the other 2 in a comfortable win against DePaul.
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2022, 11:55:12 AM »
When are people gonna transfer out? Like at least Greg is leaving, dude should probably enter the portal at some point.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2022, 11:55:35 AM »
Jones is listed at 6'0" (but is probably actually 5'10"). However, barring some impressive offseason work by Ellis, I'm pretty confident then when they get measured for the official roster, Jones will be heavier than Ellis. Dude is built like a running back.

I've watched a few full games of Jones. I like him a lot and if Ellis were to not improve over the offseason, I would definitely pick Jones ahead of him on the depth chart. However, the staff has consistently said that Ellis has NBA level upside but needs to time to get there. If the staff isn't blowing smoke, I could see Ellis making a significant jump.

So what you’re saying is that neither should “be a lock” to be ahead of the other come November?

Am I the only one that remembers how as a top 35 recruit, JJJ was going to be the next big time player, until he averaged 4 ppg his freshman year? Or how Harry Froling was going to be a difference maker, for one game against Gtown. Or how Chartouny was the can’t miss transfer because he was exactly what we needed and would be the missing piece? Let’s actually let these guys play a game before we start anointing them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 11:57:48 AM by Its DJOver »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2022, 11:57:13 AM »
You have the right to you're own opinion.

Last point, Ellis doesn't really have much experience. EE played 27 total Big East minutes.

9 of which came against Creighton in a game Kam missed with COVID. 11 in 2 wins against Georgetown, 5 in a 30+ point blowout of Providence, and the other 2 in a comfortable win against DePaul.

He had a year practicing with Darryl everyday and working with Todd Smith everyday. Unless you think the only experience come from actual game time, in which case I would be wondering what you think Keeyan was doing all last year.

feedback