Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Proving to be an A-10 Quality Guard  (Read 14108 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Kolek Proving to be an A-10 Quality Guard
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2021, 09:10:32 PM »
You're being pedantic, but whatever.

Yes I am. People didn’t claim he was Travis Diener. One person kinda made that comparison. Others simply said they were similar. But no one did him a disservice. He is what he is.

Fluff needs a hug tonight.  Lets give him one.

I could always use a hug. Who couldn’t?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2021, 09:14:30 PM »
Yes I am. People didn’t claim he was Travis Diener. One person kinda made that comparison. Others simply said they were similar. But no one did him a disservice. He is what he is.

I apologize if you honestly believed I was suggesting that people said Tyler Kolek is the literal embodiment of Travis Diener.
But I don’t for a second believe you ever thought that. You're just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.
Fun times.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2021, 09:17:08 PM »
I could always use a hug. Who couldn’t?

I agree.  Scoop hug-fest coming to a city near you soon...

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2021, 09:33:19 PM »
I apologize if you honestly believed I was suggesting that people said Tyler Kolek is the literal embodiment of Travis Diener.
But I don’t for a second believe you ever thought that. You're just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.
Fun times.

You were exaggerating and got called on it.

Instead of realizing that and moving on, you decided to double down and get called on it again.

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2021, 09:42:52 PM »
You were exaggerating and got called on it.

Instead of realizing that and moving on, you decided to double down and get called on it again.

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2021, 09:57:14 PM »
From what I've seen, Tyler Kolek can absolutely be the primary point guard on a ranked team.  And I think most here would agree with that. And I think most here would also be very happy with that in the next couple years.  So what exactly are we fighting about?

MUDPT

• All American

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2021, 10:06:01 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1472329432287391744

Yep.  He's not going to be the primary scorer, but he is definitely a P6 worthy PG.

panda

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2021, 10:11:02 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1472329432287391744

You’re really exposing yourself as a basketball no nothing if you can’t see the value Kolek brings to this team.

But he can’t shoot !

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2021, 10:14:52 PM »
He's leading the BE in assists per game. He is a Big East caliber PG, and he is new to that role.

While he still has places he needs to improve, they are areas he has shown himself capable in the past. I think we still have a good one (already this year), and he can only improve from here.

Those not recognizing his value need to open their eyes.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2021, 10:17:59 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2021, 11:14:31 PM »
Pakuni, you nailed it. Thank you, Sir.

If you think Pakuni agreed with you, you either can't read or you're just being disingenuous.

Or maybe just being a lawyer, and not a very good one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2021, 11:16:37 PM »
Kolek WAS set - but you have to give the offensive player room to land when he goes in the air to catch a pass. It was a good call.

Yep, if that's the play Ners was talking about, he's wrong and you're right. 99 out of 100 refs would call that the exact way it was called, and the other would have missed the call.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2021, 12:07:31 AM »
Yep, if that's the play Ners was talking about, he's wrong and you're right. 99 out of 100 refs would call that the exact way it was called, and the other would have missed the call.

The X player caught the ball and was given space to land as Jockey said.  He landed, turned and then bowled over Kolek.  Thus, Jockey contradicted himself.  99 out of 100?  Come on man.  That's a 50/50 call at best.  But if you want to just argue to argue, which I know you like to do...that's cool.

panda

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2021, 07:08:54 AM »
The X player caught the ball and was given space to land as Jockey said.  He landed, turned and then bowled over Kolek.  Thus, Jockey contradicted himself.  99 out of 100?  Come on man.  That's a 50/50 call at best.  But if you want to just argue to argue, which I know you like to do...that's cool.

I don’t think he was given space to land.

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2021, 07:20:18 AM »
I don't think it was a foul.  He flopped.  And it was a dumb thing to do because he already had two fouls.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2021, 07:50:26 AM »
I've read some dumb things here.  This ranks among the dumbest.

Agree,  the sole purpose of this thread was to troll.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2021, 07:56:30 AM »
He's leading the BE in assists per game. He is a Big East caliber PG, and he is new to that role.

While he still has places he needs to improve, they are areas he has shown himself capable in the past. I think we still have a good one (already this year), and he can only improve from here.

Those not recognizing his value need to open their eyes.

Kolek is very good when he's running the offense and creating shots for his teammates.
He struggles mightily when he tries to create shots for himself (see: team worst eFG% of .341, and team worst TS% of .393).
His focus should be on what he does well.

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2021, 08:06:37 AM »
He had a couple of nice shots in the rhythm of the offense yesterday.  Those were nice even if they didn't all go down.

As I said in the post-game thread, his taking a three with little ball movement late was the beginning of the end though.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2021, 08:57:55 AM »
Kolek is very good when he's running the offense and creating shots for his teammates.
He struggles mightily when he tries to create shots for himself (see: team worst eFG% of .341, and team worst TS% of .393).
His focus should be on what he does well.

In udder words,a traditional Cadougan, aina?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:00:05 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2021, 09:46:23 AM »
This is an odd time to start this thread. I know that late three point attempt was dumb but other than that I thought he played a solid game. 57% efg%, 8 points, 7 assists, 2 steals, and 3 turns in 22 minutes is a line I would take most nights.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2021, 10:08:17 AM »
It is the typical post game zeitgeist.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2021, 10:20:38 AM »
If Kolek is an A10 level PG we are in big trouble, since 2 of our starters are a level below him.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2021, 10:34:39 AM »
Kolek's 3 pt shot down 72-69 wasn't a bad shot as some here have suggested.  Shaka liked it.  He had a good look.  Shaka sees him shoot on a daily basis.  He'd made two 3's already in the game.  His look was a cleaner look than the rushed one Elliott took down 70-69, which I didn't mind that shot either.  Can't make em all.

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2021, 10:39:39 AM »
Kolek's 3 pt shot down 72-69 wasn't a bad shot as some here have suggested.  Shaka liked it.  He had a good look.  Shaka sees him shoot on a daily basis.  He'd made two 3's already in the game.  His look was a cleaner look than the rushed one Elliott took down 70-69, which I didn't mind that shot either.  Can't make em all.

It was a terrible shot. They had been patient and breaking the defense down, and he took a three point shot off the dribble (definitely not his strength) early in the clock.  Elliott had hit multiple shots off the same motion so I was fine with that one.

I like Kolek. I like Shaka for protecting him. But that was a poor choice. It happens.