[Today at 05:54:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 121959 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #1800 on: October 29, 2022, 09:13:47 AM »
As I've said a couple of times, I'm rooting for Dusty Baker to win a World Series. I simply like him, and I think he's been a real good manager for a real long time.

But ...

Phillies reliever David Robertson was laboring in the 10th inning last night. He gave up a double to Bregman, walked Gurriel with 2 outs and uncorked a very wild pitch on the first offering to pinch-hitter Aledmys Diaz. Robertson then fell behind Diaz 3-0.

The one thing you don't do is give a cold pinch-hitter -- who was 1-for-14 this postseason -- the green light on 3-0 against a struggling pitcher.

But Dusty did give the green light to Diaz, who swung wildly and missed a pitch that was a foot out of the zone. And on the next pitch, Diaz grounded out weakly to third base, and the Phillies had a 1-0 lead in the World Series.

The next batter, Chas McCormick, might not have been able to tie or win the game for the Astros, but we'll never know because Dusty made a bad call.

And speaking of calls ...

Excellent call by home plate umpire James Hoye to deny Diaz first base after Diaz obviously moved his elbow into the path of Robertson's third pitch of the at-bat. Batters occasionally get away with this, but Hoye wasn't having it, and good for him. Two pitches later, Diaz was out and the Astros were down 1-0.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: October 29, 2022, 10:33:23 PM »
Astros cheating again. And, to nobody’s surprise, it’s by using Albert Pujols’s bat, which is outside of MLB regulations. Some things make you say “hmm.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1802 on: October 30, 2022, 12:48:47 AM »
Astros cheating again. And, to nobody’s surprise, it’s by using Albert Pujols’s bat, which is outside of MLB regulations. Some things make you say “hmm.”

Shoot hoops with an essay in
Boom!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1803 on: October 30, 2022, 07:51:42 AM »
Another reason the MLB waited to start the World Series: NFL Sunday is a travel day now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1804 on: October 30, 2022, 07:58:59 AM »
Another reason the MLB waited to start the World Series: NFL Sunday is a travel day now.

Right. The NBA can be flexible with its schedule because it really isn’t going up against anything. MLB doesn’t have that luxury.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1805 on: October 30, 2022, 08:39:32 AM »

Pujols shouldn’t be allowed into Cooperstown without a ticket
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: October 30, 2022, 08:48:07 AM »

Reasonable.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: November 01, 2022, 10:02:05 AM »
Pedro Grifol your new Sox manager.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: November 01, 2022, 10:10:54 AM »

I've read one article on him, so allow me to weigh in with my expert analysis ...
Kidding. Best I can say is that it's better than some of the retread options that had been linked with the job.
Also, Vote for Pedro.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: November 01, 2022, 10:30:58 AM »
I've read one article on him, so allow me to weigh in with my expert analysis ...
Kidding. Best I can say is that it's better than some of the retread options that had been linked with the job.
Also, Vote for Pedro.

Agreed, at least they went outside the organization.

Charlie Montoyo your new bench coach, Katz only leftover coach staying reportedly.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: November 01, 2022, 11:00:57 AM »
Agreed, at least they went outside the organization.

Charlie Montoyo your new bench coach, Katz only leftover coach staying reportedly.

And hopefully a new hitting coach. I'm a little meh on Katz, but the pitching staff seems to like him, so sure, why not.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1811 on: November 01, 2022, 11:03:53 AM »

I think that is a solid pick.

Bochy was probably their preferred choice, but he has a long relationship with Chris Young so that was never going to happen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: November 02, 2022, 10:30:32 PM »
I guess the Phillies’ momentum has been stopped.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1813 on: November 02, 2022, 10:38:13 PM »
Combined no-hitters don’t do much for me.  A starting pitcher who’s thrown 90-100 pitches trying to get the last 3-4 outs of a game on sheer guts to preserve the no-hitter?  That’s some great sports drama.  A starting pitcher going 5-6 innings and then turning it over to three terminators to pitch the last three innings and none of them give up a hit?  Yawn.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: November 02, 2022, 10:50:06 PM »
Combined no-hitters don’t do much for me.  A starting pitcher who’s thrown 90-100 pitches trying to get the last 3-4 outs of a game on sheer guts to preserve the no-hitter?  That’s some great sports drama.  A starting pitcher going 5-6 innings and then turning it over to three terminators to pitch the last three innings and none of them give up a hit?  Yawn.

Idk that was pretty elite pitching.

And no reason to keep Javier going. His PC was high and they are gonna need him in game 7.

Only questionable thing is why he didnt pitch game 3 instead of McCullers. You could have him on full rest instead of 3 days if it happens.

Stros set up well now though. Verlander vs basically a phillies BP day(even if JV sucks in WS) and then Valdez. Bullpen has like all their bullets available too.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: November 02, 2022, 11:53:41 PM »

I agree.  If it had been a starter going 8 or 7 and change, maybe.  But 6 SP innings and 4 pitchers total isn’t that compelling.  Elite pitching performance to be sure, but mentioning it 5-6 times in short order with Don Larsen’s performance is dumb.  At least call it the first combined no hitter in WS history, especially for a game that loves useless stat blurbs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: November 03, 2022, 05:38:23 AM »
History making.   Not the same emotional impact, but history nonetheless.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: November 03, 2022, 09:06:43 AM »
History making.   Not the same emotional impact, but history nonetheless.

Couldn't think of a better way to describe baseball as a whole lately.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: November 03, 2022, 04:27:47 PM »
MLB is just lucky we are having a very warm November here in the East. It was 75 this afternoon and I live just 25 miles north of Philly.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: November 03, 2022, 04:45:47 PM »
I agree.  If it had been a starter going 8 or 7 and change, maybe.  But 6 SP innings and 4 pitchers total isn’t that compelling.  Elite pitching performance to be sure, but mentioning it 5-6 times in short order with Don Larsen’s performance is dumb.  At least call it the first combined no hitter in WS history, especially for a game that loves useless stat blurbs.

My Dad's boss called him into his office. He though for sure some production line broke down and he would have to work through the night. Instead he told him he was going into the hospital for minor surgery and handed my dad his two WS tickets. We were 10 rows back behind the Yankee dugout and saw Don Larsen pitch his perfect game against the Dodgers.

One of those Father/Son moments you treasure. To this day I have a soft spot for my Dad's boss though they had this Jekyll/Hide work/personal relationship. At work he could be a real SOB, but he really liked my dad.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 04:48:27 PM by muwarrior69 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1820 on: November 03, 2022, 08:17:53 PM »
Pulling Thor after 44 pitches seems like an overreaction to me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1821 on: November 03, 2022, 09:02:32 PM »
My Dad's boss called him into his office. He though for sure some production line broke down and he would have to work through the night. Instead he told him he was going into the hospital for minor surgery and handed my dad his two WS tickets. We were 10 rows back behind the Yankee dugout and saw Don Larsen pitch his perfect game against the Dodgers.

One of those Father/Son moments you treasure. To this day I have a soft spot for my Dad's boss though they had this Jekyll/Hide work/personal relationship. At work he could be a real SOB, but he really liked my dad.

Awesome you were at one of the most historic moments in baseball history with your dad.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: November 03, 2022, 11:10:16 PM »
SHEESH high drama.

Harper up down 1 with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth is storybook stuff.  No way he should have seen anything remotely hittable.

Insane catch at the wall in center on Realmuto, my god.  And from a Philly kid too.

Castellanos was either going to hit that ball to New Jersey or make a quiet out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1823 on: November 04, 2022, 06:47:10 AM »
I knocked Dusty the other day for mismanaging a situation, so let me give him props here for managing the bullpen superbly last night.

I watched from the 6th inning on and, as Wags said, that was some high-pressure, tension-filled stuff. Every single pitch had so much riding on it.

Yet another example of why content-providers are bidding bazillions to show live sports -- especially football, but all live sports. There is nothing else like it available to keep eyeballs on the screen and to provide a captive audience to advertisers.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: November 04, 2022, 06:59:07 AM »
I knocked Dusty the other day for mismanaging a situation, so let me give him props here for managing the bullpen superbly last night.

I watched from the 6th inning on and, as Wags said, that was some high-pressure, tension-filled stuff. Every single pitch had so much riding on it.

Yet another example of why content-providers are bidding bazillions to show live sports -- especially football, but all live sports. There is nothing else like it available to keep eyeballs on the screen and to provide a captive audience to advertisers.

Abreu is such a weapon in that pen.

And Dusty went to Pressly at the right time. Montero was brutal last night. Saved the game.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....