[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 123077 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2022, 08:39:16 PM »
Somebody told me MLB is going to do double headers to get all 162 games in without extending the season. With universal DH now, are they expanding the active roster so you can both cover your DH and have extra pitchers on your roster for the more games in a condensed period of time?

I think each team has 5 or 6 games to make up. Regular season was extended 3 days, the other make up games will be part of double headers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2022, 11:06:11 PM »
I think each team has 5 or 6 games to make up. Regular season was extended 3 days, the other make up games will be part of double headers.

There’s been discussions about going to 28 this season.

Got it, thanks. A couple extra spots would seem enough then.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2022, 08:18:59 AM »
Read today that Ken Griffey Jr. is the 6th highest paid player on the Reds this season, despite retiring in 2010.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2022, 08:58:03 AM »
Somebody told me MLB is going to do double headers to get all 162 games in without extending the season. With universal DH now, are they expanding the active roster so you can both cover your DH and have extra pitchers on your roster for the more games in a condensed period of time?

Real doubleheaders or those greedy day/night doubleheader? I'm nostalgic for those twilight Friday night doubleheaders and the Sunday afternoon doubleheaders.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2022, 11:40:25 AM »
Read today that Ken Griffey Jr. is the 6th highest paid player on the Reds this season, despite retiring in 2010.

The 2032 Green Bay Packers have entered the chat.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #255 on: March 15, 2022, 12:18:38 PM »
Real doubleheaders or those greedy day/night doubleheader? I'm nostalgic for those twilight Friday night doubleheaders and the Sunday afternoon doubleheaders.

We'll probably see some of each.  Either way, all doubleheader games are back to nine innings!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2022, 01:10:51 PM »
We'll probably see some of each.  Either way, all doubleheader games are back to nine innings!

With the Yankee payroll I doubt I'll see a doubleheader at the Stadium.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #257 on: March 15, 2022, 05:51:32 PM »

The 2032 Green Bay Packers have entered the chat.

Ehehehehehehheehhe

*crying sounds*

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2022, 09:13:09 AM »
Its pretty disheartening to see Oakland tear a team down to the studs that won 86, 97 (prorated), and 96 games the last three years and that ZiPS had in the low to mid 80s in February.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2022, 10:11:43 AM »
Its pretty disheartening to see Oakland tear a team down to the studs that won 86, 97 (prorated), and 96 games the last three years and that ZiPS had in the low to mid 80s in February.

The owner can make waaaay more money by losing. As a fan, you are inconsequential to the equation. The richest owners shove cash into the pockets of the ‘hustler’ owners.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2022, 10:23:49 AM »
The owner can make waaaay more money by losing. As a fan, you are inconsequential to the equation. The richest owners shove cash into the pockets of the ‘hustler’ owners.

I think the most disheartening part about it is that the ink isn't even dry on the new CBA.

As a fan, I wish the MLBPA would give up fighting a salary cap, and instead shift into a mode of leveraging its willingness to institute a hard cap to get as big a piece of the pie under that structure as they can.  This no cap, no salary floor thing is getting tiresome.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2022, 10:34:35 AM »
I think the most disheartening part about it is that the ink isn't even dry on the new CBA.

As a fan, I wish the MLBPA would give up fighting a salary cap, and instead shift into a mode of leveraging its willingness to institute a hard cap to get as big a piece of the pie under that structure as they can.  This no cap, no salary floor thing is getting tiresome.

A salary floor is preferable.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2022, 11:44:54 AM »
A salary floor is preferable.

Not for the small market fans.  Although a floor is fine, a floor with no cap still allows the large markets to dominate year after year.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #263 on: March 16, 2022, 11:53:12 AM »
Ultimately a floor and cap will go together.  If there is a meaningful floor, the small market teams will require a cap with luxury tax penalties to fund revenue sharing which is distributed to the small market teams to keep their salaries above the floor.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2022, 01:55:03 PM »
Not for the small market fans.  Although a floor is fine, a floor with no cap still allows the large markets to dominate year after year.

Small market fans would at least have teams that try to compete. The large market teams would have way less of an advantage.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #265 on: March 16, 2022, 06:15:11 PM »
That Kris Bryant/Colorado marriage won’t end well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #266 on: March 16, 2022, 06:35:45 PM »

Didn’t they trade a better 3B (Arenado) to dump a similar contract? Weird.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #267 on: March 16, 2022, 07:15:16 PM »

Good for Kris getting his bag, but what in the hell are the Rockies doing

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #268 on: March 16, 2022, 07:30:23 PM »
Unreal.

There is a reason they suck every year. This is a perfect example.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #269 on: March 16, 2022, 07:38:39 PM »
Didn’t they trade a better 3B (Arenado) to dump a similar contract? Weird.

Arenado has 5 years, $164 Million left on his deal. And, Colorado is still paying part of that too.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #270 on: March 16, 2022, 11:28:05 PM »
My God, the Dodgers will be a problem.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #271 on: March 17, 2022, 09:21:18 AM »
My God, the Dodgers will be a problem.

Bellinger won the MVP 3 years ago and he's projected to be the 6th/7th best hitter in their lineup. Yikes.

But look at it this way.  Last season they won 106 games, which wasn't even good enough for them to avoid the wild card game.  Then they got beaten pretty soundly in the NLCS by the Braves who won just 88 games but played pretty much flawlessly through the playoffs.

Their division won't be as tough this year, but baseball is great because anything can happen.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #272 on: March 17, 2022, 09:30:30 AM »
The Brewers released their revised schedule yesterday and there's only one doubleheader.  It's a traditional DH on Thursday Sept 8 against the Giants starting at 3:30 pm.  So no split day/night DHs unless there's a road rain makeup somewhere.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #273 on: March 17, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »
Bellinger won the MVP 3 years ago and he's projected to be the 6th/7th best hitter in their lineup. Yikes.

Their division won't be as tough this year, but baseball is great because anything can happen.

Yup, there will be bumps in their road, too. But I have to say that for as much money as they have, I love how they spend it.  They grow their own talent really well - Will Smith, Gavin Lux, Julio Urias, Dustin May, Tony Gonsolin, Corey Seager though he's gone now - and then they use their money to sign low variance, professional-ass hitters like Freeman, Betts, and re-signing Justin Turner.  They know how talented they are, so they'd rather overpay a bit for gradual decline than pay for risk, which is really smart in their position imo.  The only signing that sticks out is Bauer (I'm even fine with them taking on that Price contract - he'll always give you something and doesn't seem like a headcase).   The Bauer signing is how these big market teams usually do business and I think was a lesson for the Dodgers to stick with their philosophy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #274 on: March 17, 2022, 11:13:07 AM »
The Athletic's Chris Branch on Bryant signing with the Rockies:

More than 18 hours later, I struggle to wrap my head around Kris Bryant’s new seven-year, $182 million contract with the Colorado Rockies. There are two immovable — for now — forces here:

Bryant, 30, is a former MVP and World Series winner. He’s an All-Star talent who can still hit fastballs to the moon. He’s not a 37-year-old has-been looking for a nice, lush retirement home.

The Rockies are bad. They are mere months removed from trading superstar third baseman Nolan Arenado for pennies on the dollar and letting talented shortstop Trevor Story walk to free agency for nothing instead of trading him at the deadline last season. Both moves were baffling at the time. They’re even more confusing now.
And this is where Bryant wanted to go? Sure, Bryant could hit 30-40 homers a season in the thin Colorado air. And sure, maybe other offers didn’t get close to $182 million. But still — what makes him believe these Rockies can contend anytime soon?

The Athletic’s Keith Law said it best: “I have no objection to owners spending money on players, but the Rockies are going to pay Bryant a lot of money to make them a more watchable last-place team.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson