[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Get Rid of the Charge  (Read 13753 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Get Rid of the Charge
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2023, 06:58:30 PM »
The refs aren’t our issue tonight. But LOL at just deciding “the next contact I take I’m just falling as hard as I can” and getting a turnover out of it. Marcus Smart getting DPOY by simply doing that is embarrassing, and we’ll just see more and more of it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2023, 08:38:34 PM »
The refs aren’t our issue tonight. But LOL at just deciding “the next contact I take I’m just falling as hard as I can” and getting a turnover out of it. Marcus Smart getting DPOY by simply doing that is embarrassing, and we’ll just see more and more of it.

I don’t understand how that isn’t a point of emphasis for the Big East. If there isn’t an elbow or a hook, there should never be a charge on a back down in the post. They’re all flops by the defender.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2023, 08:57:36 PM »
I don’t understand how that isn’t a point of emphasis for the Big East. If there isn’t an elbow or a hook, there should never be a charge on a back down in the post. They’re all flops by the defender.
Yeah…that’s not accurate.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2023, 11:19:02 AM »
Yeah…that’s not accurate.

Last night it was.  Alleyne's flops were Davison-esqe, yet he got at least two calls on them.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2023, 11:25:59 AM »

Sorry, but what? You don't think there can be any offensive fouls for a back down in the post?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2023, 02:42:53 PM »
I don't think you can rid of the charge. I am a fan of expanding the restricted area and making it a violation instead of a foul.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2023, 03:49:04 PM »
I don't think you can rid of the charge. I am a fan of expanding the restricted area and making it a violation instead of a foul.

Yep yep. One more change though- no charge call when the defender slides right in front of the ball handler. That should be a block.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Uncle Rico

• All American
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2023, 09:57:54 PM »
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/6/8/media-center-change-to-legal-guarding-position-approved-for-mens-basketball.aspx

White people are devastated

Some other interesting rule changes in there, including:

++ Under two minutes, when a coach requests an out-of-bounds play be reviewed, that team will be charged a timeout if the original call is not overturned.

(This should help speed up the end of games, which often become interminable bores.)

++ A timeout will be able to be granted when a player has possession of the ball even though the player is airborne. An example would be a player grabbing a loose ball and calling timeout before landing out of bounds.

(This used to be allowed but they stopped allowing it several years ago.)

++ Players will be allowed to wear numbers 0-99.

(Nice. There's no good reason players shouldn't be restricted to the numbers they have been.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2023, 10:04:21 PM »
Yep yep. One more change though- no charge call when the defender slides right in front of the ball handler. That should be a block.

Bump.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2023, 06:18:47 AM »
Get rid of the Eurostep next.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2023, 07:15:50 AM »
Get rid of the dunk next

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2023, 07:18:22 AM »
Get rid of the dunk next

And the 3-pointer and shot clock. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2023, 07:43:50 AM »
++ A timeout will be able to be granted when a player has possession of the ball even though the player is airborne. An example would be a player grabbing a loose ball and calling timeout before landing out of bounds.

I have no idea why they decided to bring this back.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2023, 08:03:28 AM »

My only guess is that it encourages the use of timeouts outside of end of game situations. Theoretically could improve "pace of play"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2023, 11:40:58 AM »

Because it’s logical.

For each rule change, the rationale behind it is discussed.

On this one, it’s very basic: they decided that if a player had possession of the ball, they should be entitled to request a timeout.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2023, 11:45:00 AM »
Because it’s logical.

For each rule change, the rationale behind it is discussed.

On this one, it’s very basic: they decided that if a player had possession of the ball, they should be entitled to request a timeout.

I understand that rationale. It just seemed like there wasn't a particular reason why they decided to revisit that rule at this point.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2023, 04:20:51 PM »
Some other interesting rule changes in there, including:

++ Under two minutes, when a coach requests an out-of-bounds play be reviewed, that team will be charged a timeout if the original call is not overturned.

(This should help speed up the end of games, which often become interminable bores.)

++ Players will be allowed to wear numbers 0-99.

(Nice. There's no good reason players shouldn't be restricted to the numbers they have been.)

How about PI, you know 3.14159 etc? The rule does not stipulate whole numbers.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2023, 04:25:39 PM »
Nooooooooooo
This thread is back lol

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2023, 04:47:50 PM »
How about PI, you know 3.14159 etc? The rule does not stipulate whole numbers.

#FakeNews #Lies

The actual rule (rule 1 section 22 article 7) spells out the specific numbers allowed. Strange way perhaps.. vs. “whole numbers between….” But that’s the rule.

You also can use 0 or 00…. But not both
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2023, 06:30:33 PM »
#FakeNews #Lies

The actual rule (rule 1 section 22 article 7) spells out the specific numbers allowed. Strange way perhaps.. vs. “whole numbers between….” But that’s the rule.

You also can use 0 or 00…. But not both

Awe, that sucks, but I stand corrected.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2023, 10:41:41 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2023, 11:09:33 AM »
I just finished watching a documentary about Mary Tyler Moore.

Fun fact:  Her character on the Dick Van Dyke Show, Laura Petrie, was the first woman on a TV series who wore pants on a regular basis.  Even then, there were strict rules from the censors about how tight they could be in the, er, hip area.
Have some patience, FFS.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2023, 11:44:39 AM »
I just finished watching a documentary about Mary Tyler Moore.

Fun fact:  Her character on the Dick Van Dyke Show, Laura Petrie, was the first woman on a TV series who wore pants on a regular basis.  Even then, there were strict rules from the censors about how tight they could be in the, er, hip area.

In one of his All Creatures Great and Small books, British vet James Herriot wrote about his young wife assisting him on farm calls just before the outbreak of WWII. She was wearing pants, much to the surprise, or perhaps I should say shock, of the very conservative Yorkshire farmers.   

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2023, 12:12:06 PM »
In one of his All Creatures Great and Small books, British vet James Herriot wrote about his young wife assisting him on farm calls just before the outbreak of WWII. She was wearing pants, much to the surprise, or perhaps I should say shock, of the very conservative Yorkshire farmers.

Great show on PBS by the way. My mom was factory worker and required to wear pants for her job in the 1950s. I'm sure all the Rosy the riveters during the War years wore only skirts.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 12:24:51 PM by muwarrior69 »