[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Former MU players still in college thread  (Read 67901 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Former MU players still in college thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 08:02:59 PM »
Theo making zero impact for Duke so far

He’s been exactly what you want in your backup 5.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 08:03:37 PM »
Theo making zero impact for Duke so far

Take it you watched 0 minutes of the Kentucky game
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 07:35:55 AM »
Jamal with 29 points and 17 rebounds last night.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2021, 07:36:22 AM »
Jamal with 29 points and 17 rebounds last night.

I think Jamal would have thrived in Shaka’s system
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2021, 07:40:07 AM »

Agreed. Of the 5-year guys, Jamal and Theo would have helped this team. But I'm glad they moved on because it's better for them. And in Theo's case I'm glad he moved on because it was time for Oso to get some run.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2021, 07:49:16 AM »
Agreed. Of the 5-year guys, Jamal and Theo would have helped this team. But I'm glad they moved on because it's better for them. And in Theo's case I'm glad he moved on because it was time for Oso to get some run.

I’m not sure about Theo on this team because I think he’d foul out a lot.  Kur is better at not fouling
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2021, 07:55:41 AM »
Prior to Illinois, I missed Theo a little.   After Illinois, never mind.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2021, 08:09:45 AM »
I’m not sure about Theo on this team because I think he’d foul out a lot.  Kur is better at not fouling

Prior to Illinois, I missed Theo a little.   After Illinois, never mind.   

I was saying I'd like them both to make the 5 a deep position ... though I realize that never would have happened. Had Theo stayed, Kuath would have gone elsewhere.

Kur was very bad the first two games. He was very good last game. Hopefully we'll see more of the latter going forward.

As for Theo, I think K is quite satisfied having Theo on his title-contending team.

Again, although I liked what I knew about Theo as an individual, and I mostly liked his contribution to Marquette basketball, I'm glad he moved on.

Back to Unk's original point: Jamal would have been a good Shaka-style player, yes. But I'm glad he moved on, too. He wasn't gonna have a chance at 29-and-17 here.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2021, 08:27:37 AM »

Absolutely. As I said in another thread, Jamal woulda been a huge piece for this team this year.

But for him, he definitely made the right choice. Good to see him getting his. Especially since he can’t hit a 3 to save his life yet. Numbers might get even better

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2021, 08:50:30 AM »
Absolutely. As I said in another thread, Jamal woulda been a huge piece for this team this year.

But for him, he definitely made the right choice. Good to see him getting his. Especially since he can’t hit a 3 to save his life yet. Numbers might get even better

Lifetime 36.2% 3 point shooter.  That is pretty decent.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2021, 08:54:01 AM »
I watched the Oakland-Toledo highlights.  Active on the boards at both ends.  Point guard getting into the paint at will and Jamal moving to the open spots near the basket and finishing with both hands.  He looks like he is having fun.   A completely different tole than at MU.  And could he really thrive in a dribble drive offense?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 09:23:09 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2021, 09:02:07 AM »
Tyme four John ta bid adios, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2021, 09:11:15 AM »
Lifetime 36.2% 3 point shooter.  That is pretty decent.

Yes, I’m talking his stats this year

He’s averaging 19 on 51% from the floor while shooting a ghastly 8% from deep.

That should level out

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2021, 09:24:43 AM »
Theo played because MU had no-one better and because Wojo always wanted one big in the game.  Imagine Coach K's disappointment as he learns that Theo knows very little about basketball after playing 4 years under K's disciple.  In a game against a cupcake he got only 15 minutes.  By the end of the year that will be 5-7.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2021, 09:25:37 AM »
That is all he needs to be at Duke.    A back up big for when the young guys need a rest or get in foul trouble.   

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »
Theo played because MU had no-one better and because Wojo always wanted one big in the game.  Imagine Coach K's disappointment as he learns that Theo knows very little about basketball after playing 4 years under K's disciple.  In a game against a cupcake he got only 15 minutes.  By the end of the year that will be 5-7.

He played 22 min against Kentucky.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2021, 09:44:25 AM »
I don't know why people at Scoop think Coach K and/or Theo thought he'd go from a 5 points per game/20 minutes per game guy over 4 years at Marquette to being some college basketball superstar at Duke in one year.

I'm fairly confident Coach K and Theo are both getting exactly what they both expected in this situation.  I don't think they were expecting Theo to be a guy who could push Paolo Banchero to the bench.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2021, 10:12:58 AM »
I don't know why people at Scoop think Coach K and/or Theo thought he'd go from a 5 points per game/20 minutes per game guy over 4 years at Marquette to being some college basketball superstar at Duke in one year.

I'm fairly confident Coach K and Theo are both getting exactly what they both expected in this situation.  I don't think they were expecting Theo to be a guy who could push Paolo Banchero to the bench.

Yep. K is getting exactly what he thought he would out of Theo, who is a valuable part of the rotation for a team with legit national title aspirations.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2021, 10:15:52 AM »
He played 22 min against Kentucky.

Kentucky was worse than Wojo's Marquette last year.

Theo thing is weird because he thought there would be money for him in Europe that wasn't there (partly pandemic driven). So he'll get an above average NIL stake from Duke, raise his profile, and hope to have a good season in a system he knows. His hope is probably to out play Mark Williams, thought I doubt it happens.

Garcia is the weirder one to me, not that he left, but that he chose UNC. UNC kinda sucks. 84-34 and now 51 in Ken pom since 2019. Brady Manek is easily a player that can play him off the court if he gets hot. Armando Bacots gotten off to a great start. In a small 3 game sample size but Garcia has the worst offensive rating in the rotation, and I know from the eye test all last season hes better on offense than on defense. He also really doesnt fit an uptempo style that he has at UNC right now, nor the style he would have had to play at MU. Unless he gets wet as a trailing big man from 3,I really dont see his role to becoming a 2022 NBA pick, which had to have been the goal. I guess at least he isnt out recruited for next year, and he'll get to play some 5 his Jr year? I guess I'm surprised he didn't go become the face of MN or go to a school that "needed" him to be the face of the front court.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2021, 10:18:46 AM »
Kentucky was worse than Wojo's Marquette last year.

Theo thing is weird because he thought there would be money for him in Europe that wasn't there (partly pandemic driven). So he'll get an above average NIL stake from Duke, raise his profile, and hope to have a good season in a system he knows. His hope is probably to out play Mark Williams, thought I doubt it happens.

Garcia is the weirder one to me, not that he left, but that he chose UNC. UNC kinda sucks. 84-34 and now 51 in Ken pom since 2019. Brady Manek is easily a player that can play him off the court if he gets hot. Armando Bacots gotten off to a great start. In a small 3 game sample size but Garcia has the worst offensive rating in the rotation, and I know from the eye test all last season hes better on offense than on defense. He also really doesnt fit an uptempo style that he has at UNC right now, nor the style he would have had to play at MU. Unless he gets wet as a trailing big man from 3,I really dont see his role to becoming a 2022 NBA pick, which had to have been the goal. I guess at least he isnt out recruited for next year, and he'll get to play some 5 his Jr year? I guess I'm surprised he didn't go become the face of MN or go to a school that "needed" him to be the face of the front court.

Interesting observations about Garcia. I wish him well.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2021, 10:20:31 AM »
I don't think the Theo thing is weird at all.  He gets a chance for a national championship and as you said raise his profile for a better deal in Europe.  Coach K gets a guy who works hard and can be a senior-leader type.

Dawson chose UNC because he was promised NIL $$$.  But yeah....he's been pretty bad so far.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2021, 10:37:10 AM »

I feel like Theo should have been a lot better given his stature. He often played smaller than he is.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2021, 10:40:20 AM »
Koby McEwen off to a nice start at Weber State.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2021, 11:35:34 AM »
Meanwhile, Dexter Akanno is struggle for Ok State. We will always have those summer highlights though.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2021, 11:41:21 AM »
Meanwhile, Dexter Akanno is struggle for Ok State. We will always have those summer highlights though.

He's a ghost in the OK state box score. It's like he doesn't even play there.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback