collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Holidays  (Read 17976 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: The Holidays
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 06:41:39 PM »
cranberry sauce

I've never understood that awful thanksgiving tradition.  You probably add celery to it too !?!?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 06:45:23 PM »
Heresy!

I suppose you slide your cranberry sauce out of a can, too.

But it is cool how it wiggles out of the container and still holds the ridge marks from the interior of the can.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2021, 08:38:42 PM »
I've never understood that awful thanksgiving tradition.  You probably add celery to it too !?!?

Celery?  Da faq?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2021, 09:26:00 PM »
Sounds like something I want to try. What temp?

It's this product:

And yes, my cranberry sauce comes from a can.  My mother-in-law makes some gastly glop with berries and nuts and other awfulness.

Slide it out of a can, save the homemade stuff for hippies.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2021, 10:27:13 PM »
And yes, my cranberry sauce comes from a can.  My mother-in-law makes some gastly glop with berries and nuts and other awfulness.

Slide it out of a can, save the homemade stuff for hippies.
Arby's...
Can molded cranberry goop.

Checks out.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2021, 06:47:15 AM »

Ew, no! Cranberries, sugar, and water. That's it.

Have some patience, FFS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2021, 01:04:35 PM »

This, and maybe a bit of orange and some brandy 😎

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 08:40:37 AM »

Good only for bladder infections

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2021, 08:31:05 AM »
It looks like another surge is starting. Vaccines are the answer.

This from the always level-headed David Leonhardt:

For most people, the vaccines remain remarkably effective at turning Covid into a manageable illness that’s less dangerous than some everyday activities.

The main dividing line is age. In Minnesota, which publishes detailed Covid data, the death rate for fully vaccinated people under 50 during the Delta surge this year was 0.0 per 100,000 — meaning, so few people died that the rate rounds to zero.

Washington State is another place that publishes statistics by age and vaccination status. In its most recent report, Washington did not even include a death rate for fully vaccinated residents under 65. It was too low to be meaningful.

Hospitalization rates are also very low for vaccinated people under 65. In Minnesota during the Delta surge, the average weekly hospitalization rate for vaccinated residents between 18 and 49 was about 1 per 100,000.

To put that in perspective, I looked up data for some other medical problems. During a typical week in the U.S., nearly 3 people per 100,000 visit an emergency room because of a bicycle crash. The rate for vehicle crashes is about 20 per 100,000.

Covid is the threat on many of our minds. But for most people under 65, the virus may present less risk than a car trip to visit relatives this week. “The vaccination, I think, changes everything,” Dustin Johnston, 40, a photographer in Michigan who plans to gather with family, told The Times.

The situation is more frightening for older people, especially those in their 80s and 90s. For the oldest age groups, Covid presents a real risk even after vaccination. It appears to be more dangerous than a typical flu and much more dangerous than time spent riding in a vehicle, based on C.D.C. data.

As a result, older Americans need protection during a surge. (The same is also true of a small percentage of younger people with specific vulnerabilities to Covid, like organ-transplant recipients.) The most effective way to protect vulnerable people is through vaccination — not only of them but also of others who might infect them.

Children 5 and older, who are now eligible for vaccines, are an example. Covid remains overwhelmingly mild for them. But vaccinated children are less likely to infect other people than unvaccinated children, and a mild Covid case in a child can turn into a deadly case for an elderly grandparent.

The argument for booster shots can be similar. Most younger and middle-aged adults who have received two Covid vaccine shots remain highly protected from severe illness (as these charts show). But the vaccines do seem to wane enough to make people more susceptible to a mild infection they could pass on to a vulnerable person. All Americans age 18 and up are now eligible for booster shots if their most recent shot was at least six month ago.

When discussion of boosters started a few months ago, I was somewhat skeptical, because the evidence of their benefit for most individuals was thin. Their communal value now seems clear, though. I recently got a booster shot, mostly because I will be spending time with older relatives in the coming weeks. The case for booster shots among people over 65 is even stronger.

If you’re anxious about the risks of your Thanksgiving gathering to older people, I’d offer three pieces of advice. One, insist that anybody in your house be fully vaccinated if eligible. Two, encourage people to get tested — either at a testing center or with an at-home rapid test — before coming. Three, once the day arrives, try to put aside your Covid anxiety and enjoy the holiday.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2021, 09:05:51 AM »
Door #3, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »
Door #3, aina?

Absolutely, along with doors #1 and 2.

It shouldn’t be an either/or.

Let’s actually work to get rid of COVID-19, nu?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2021, 04:27:18 PM »
We are having a family celebration for our middle son and wife getting married pre covid. This is 100% family, but roughly 55 people and all but three are vaccinated. We asked those three to take a rapid test the day of the party. Thankfully, all three agreed with no conversation. We have three kids under 2 and my 85y mother in coming and I did not want to take the risk. I probably would not have said anything if not for the babies and grandma, but I am happy they are getting tested.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2021, 04:42:24 PM »
We are having a family celebration for our middle son and wife getting married pre covid. This is 100% family, but roughly 55 people and all but three are vaccinated. We asked those three to take a rapid test the day of the party. Thankfully, all three agreed with no conversation. We have three kids under 2 and my 85y mother in coming and I did not want to take the risk. I probably would not have said anything if not for the babies and grandma, but I am happy they are getting tested.

A very reasonable request. I hope you have a wonderful family gathering, Goose!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2021, 04:50:44 PM »

Thank you.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2021, 06:46:12 PM »

With reliable and readily available testing there is absolutely no reason not to use them for the exact reason you explained goose.

Gives both grandma piece of mind as well as the unvaccinated family members that everyone can celebrate and enjoy each other’s company guilt free.  Happy Thanksgiving Goose!!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2021, 10:21:51 AM »
Thanks, pace. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2021, 06:36:38 AM »
Looks like the pandemic is staging the latest version of "The War on Christmas."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/santa-shortage-alternatives/2021/11/25/1f117c96-489f-11ec-95dc-5f2a96e00fa3_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_the7&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_the7&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3565580%2F61a4c2a89d2fdab56ba7b44a%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F26%2F41%2F61a4c2a89d2fdab56ba7b44a

Thanks to pandemic risks, there are fewer jolly old bearded men available this year. Prepare to see younger Santas with less-than-stellar beards.

Meanwhile, real and artificial Christmas trees are also less available and more expensive because of shipping and labor problems.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2021, 10:26:22 AM »
I have to say .. we had three different Thanksgiving celebrations with various groups, my wife's side, my side of the family, plus a friend group over the past two weeks.

All told, indoor dinners seating 49 people ages 7 to 92.  All vaccinated.

(Knock on wood, 4 days since the last dinner) .. zero cases.

Thanks, science.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2021, 11:21:24 AM »
I have to say .. we had three different Thanksgiving celebrations with various groups, my wife's side, my side of the family, plus a friend group over the past two weeks.

Thanks, science.

I know that Delta has highlighted that the vaccines aren't 100% in preventing transmission.  But it feels like we have gone overboard on broadcasting the nonzero transmission risk at the expense of focusing on how amazing the vaccines still are reducing/blunting transmission. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2021, 02:13:54 PM »
I know that Delta has highlighted that the vaccines aren't 100% in preventing transmission.  But it feels like we have gone overboard on broadcasting the nonzero transmission risk at the expense of focusing on how amazing the vaccines still are reducing/blunting transmission. 

Yeah, this thing has proven that there's a lot of smart people that don't get statistics.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2021, 05:17:26 PM »

Thanks, science.

Sounds great. Live your life.

Invite vaccinated people only. F the unvaccinated. They don't care about us. We shouldn't care about them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2021, 08:44:57 PM »
Four people of nine on one of my crews tested positive yesterday or today. Only one was vaxxed.

We made it to this point with only two positives in the entire company.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2021, 01:51:09 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2021, 02:34:57 PM »
Wonder if she's a dentist.

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1468981212169523211?s=20

I made it until the tinkling bells and her saying "I" and that was as far as I could go before the dark thoughts crept in.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »
Well I was exposed at my fiancés family party Sunday. I have one test. Should I wait till Friday (my family has a negative test before our party requirement) or take it asap 🤔
Maigh Eo for Sam