2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 08:27:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by MU82
[Today at 07:37:16 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Holidays  (Read 17862 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: The Holidays
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »
Well I was exposed at my fiancés family party Sunday. I have one test. Should I wait till Friday (my family has a negative test before our party requirement) or take it asap 🤔

If you don't have any obligations between now and Friday that would otherwise require you to test, I'd probably wait. The closer to your family party, the better.

The lack of availability of at-home tests is and has been a damn travesty. 

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
If you can find a quick test place I would do that, though tomorrow would be better. Save the home one for Friday, if it’s positive then stay home.
Omicron incubates faster than the other straibs, but today might still be too soon.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2021, 11:23:35 AM »
It is crazy, but I am not sure if our Xmas celebration is going to happen or not. We have two family members that were exposed to Covid this week, two family members flying this week and three family members (in-laws) not vaccinated and there is going to be taking a lot of rapid home tests on Friday. I do not have a good feeling about 100% attendance this year.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »
That would be a hard ‘no’ for me I think, frankly. The home  tests aren’t reliable enough IMO for that scenario.
We’re a small group and all boosted- I did a PCR yesterday, and at least some of us will home test as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2021, 11:28:06 AM »
All of the adults in my family are thrice vaccinated.   3 of us also had the Alpha Variant on November of 2020.    The next generation all have had at least two shots.     We are likely to have it, though we aren't scheduled to do until 1/2/22.    So a lot can happen in the next 11 days.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2021, 12:18:35 PM »
If you don't have any obligations between now and Friday that would otherwise require you to test, I'd probably wait. The closer to your family party, the better.

The lack of availability of at-home tests is and has been a damn travesty.

Drove out to Wheaton and they had plenty. It pays to have gone door to door for the DNC thus know which communities are likely not taking this seriously.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2021, 12:27:03 PM »
Well I was exposed at my fiancés family party Sunday. I have one test. Should I wait till Friday (my family has a negative test before our party requirement) or take it asap 🤔

My son was exposed on Sunday as well.  The CDC says to test 5-7 days after exposure (or immediately if you have symptoms.)  -- However, the note I got from school about his exposure said to test after 3 days, which seems really fast.

This .. in addition, my 79-year old in-laws tested positive last week after being boosted just a month ago.  MIL had a rough day or two, FIL was asymptomatic until he lost his sense of smell/taste.   In theory, they will test today and might test negative, so we might make the drive for xmas. 

On the plus side, we were originally worried we'd give it to them, but now that's taken off the table!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2021, 12:29:10 PM »

Test yo' self.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2021, 12:57:12 PM »
My son was exposed on Sunday as well.  The CDC says to test 5-7 days after exposure (or immediately if you have symptoms.)  -- However, the note I got from school about his exposure said to test after 3 days, which seems really fast.

This .. in addition, my 79-year old in-laws tested positive last week after being boosted just a month ago.  MIL had a rough day or two, FIL was asymptomatic until he lost his sense of smell/taste.   In theory, they will test today and might test negative, so we might make the drive for xmas. 

On the plus side, we were originally worried we'd give it to them, but now that's taken off the table!

Omicron (which is the vast majority of new cases) is usually only 3 days before you're testing positive.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2021, 02:01:31 PM »
Omicron (which is the vast majority of new cases) is usually only 3 days before you're testing positive.

Is this timing more about accuracy of the test confirming Y/N someone "is infected" or Y/N someone "is contagious"?  Meaning if I test negative say 2 days after an exposure do I at least have reasonable confidence of not spreading?  It is my understanding that a negative test is still reasonable confidence that you don't have a viral load high enough to spread but I dont recall why I hold that opinion/fact?.

I haven't been (to my knowledge) exposed but am curious on how to think about that 0 to 3 to 5 day window and what a negative test tells me.  I think anyone not bunkered is going to have exposures here in the coming months.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2021, 02:23:18 PM »
I avoided my wife’s family XMas party this year. My wife did attend. We have one avid anti-vaxxer in the family so I made it perfectly clear why I wouldn’t attend.

We will be going to both of our kids houses on XMas day for brunch and supper. All are vaccinated. We will then get together with all of our kids and grandkids on New Years Eve.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2021, 10:51:14 PM »
I avoided my wife’s family XMas party this year. My wife did attend.

Sleepin’ in the guest room ‘til the New Year, Jockey?

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
I avoided my wife’s family XMas party this year. My wife did attend.

I don't get this....if your wife attended, and you live in the same house as your wife, isn't that basically the same thing as if you attended?  I mean I get that if you both attended there would be a slightly higher chance of one of you catching covid if it was present, but unless you quarantine from your spouse now for a few days (and maybe you are), not sure I get the point.  Not trying to be snarky, but my wife and I have had some of these same conversations, so curious what the thought process was.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2021, 12:02:08 PM »
I don't get this....if your wife attended, and you live in the same house as your wife, isn't that basically the same thing as if you attended?  I mean I get that if you both attended there would be a slightly higher chance of one of you catching covid if it was present, but unless you quarantine from your spouse now for a few days (and maybe you are), not sure I get the point.  Not trying to be snarky, but my wife and I have had some of these same conversations, so curious what the thought process was.

Neither of us are worried about catching the virus. We are both boosted.

I didn't attend because I don't associate with anti-vaxxers out of principle. It was a tough decision for my wife as she feels the same way. But she is close to her family and decided to go. BTW, I am also pretty tight with all of her family except for the one anti-vaxxer. One other nephew is also unvaccinated, but that is because of a medical condition. I still get together him occasionally.

Normally, the party is at our house. We decided not to host this year out of respect for my niece. We wouldn't have felt right inviting her and the kids, but telling her husband he was not welcome in our house. (I have never had any blowout with him - I just don't associate any more with that crowd).

Good to have these discussions and my only advice would be to respect each other's opinion.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2021, 12:32:46 PM »
Ah I get it now.  Our conversation revolves around my Mom who has COPD.  We all have been vaccinated and boosted, including my Mom, but my wife's brother is neither.  She is going to be seeing him Christmas eve and I won't be going.  I am seeing my Mom on Christmas day and we decided that my wife won't be going due to seeing her brother the night before.  So my wife and I will sleep in separate bedrooms Christmas even night etc, social distance and all of that, and then hopefully it won't be an issue.  I know Omicron is much quicker at making someone contagious, but I think I should be safe to see Mom on Christmas day.  My wife has stated quite strongly that she does not want to be the one to give my Mom covid.  I get it.  Even with the vaccine and boosted we worry it could still be very bad for her.  As you stated, I am not overly concerned for myself (but to be honest still don't want to get it again), but yes very concerned for my Mom.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
Neither of us are worried about catching the virus. We are both boosted.

I didn't attend because I don't associate with anti-vaxxers out of principle. It was a tough decision for my wife as she feels the same way. But she is close to her family and decided to go. BTW, I am also pretty tight with all of her family except for the one anti-vaxxer. One other nephew is also unvaccinated, but that is because of a medical condition. I still get together him occasionally.

Normally, the party is at our house. We decided not to host this year out of respect for my niece. We wouldn't have felt right inviting her and the kids, but telling her husband he was not welcome in our house. (I have never had any blowout with him - I just don't associate any more with that crowd).

Legit question...what are your feelings about a woman's right to choose, hey?

Good to have these discussions and my only advice would be to respect each other's opinion.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2021, 01:54:47 PM »
I believe in it.

And I believe in my, as well as his,  right to avoid anti-vaxxers whenever possible.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2021, 01:59:19 PM »
setting aside their impact on the risk associated with gathering, there's also the fact that antivaxxers are declaring that their priorities are inherently selfish that makes them less appealing to socialize with.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »
So, does Jockey associate with women who are pro-choice, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2021, 02:10:14 PM »
I am sure he does.     

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2021, 02:25:30 PM »

You're more of a forced pregnancy guy, eh?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2021, 02:34:17 PM »

Probably not, but if you had ever caught abortion, you wouldn't either.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2021, 02:37:17 PM »
Oh I see, we're free to pick and choose our hypocrisies. Let freedom ring, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2021, 02:42:38 PM »
Merry Christmas man.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2021, 02:43:43 PM »
No hypocrisy.    Freedom to associate, aina?