[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Holidays  (Read 18102 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: The Holidays
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2021, 06:23:27 PM »
Well who all has been exposed now that the holidays are over?

I'm at two exposures so far.

Was exposed by my assistant 12/21. Tested negative on Thursday and Saturday, went out to Ruth’s Chris one night, Christmas dinner with friends, brewery on Sunday, working out every day, living our lives.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
Testing the 23rd and 25th after being exposed on the 21st was too soon.
I dropped off a Binax with a friend on Christmas Eve. She was very happy to tell me on Saturday she was negative, I asked if she had been exposed, as I knew she wasn’t gathering for Christmas until next weekend. Turns out she was worried about the Metra on Thursday. I told her not to even think about using the second test the next day, as she planned, because she had tested way too early. I was like, please don’t waste any more of these hard to find tests like that.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2021, 08:21:34 PM »
Testing the 23rd and 25th after being exposed on the 21st was too soon.
I dropped off a Binax with a friend on Christmas Eve. She was very happy to tell me on Saturday she was negative, I asked if she had been exposed, as I knew she wasn’t gathering for Christmas until next weekend. Turns out she was worried about the Metra on Thursday. I told her not to even think about using the second test the next day, as she planned, because she had tested way too early. I was like, please don’t waste any more of these hard to find tests like that.

I followed the advice on timing of the medical professional who gave me access to the tests for me to bring home.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2021, 08:52:43 AM »
Ok, just relaying from different stuff I’ve read.
Just glad they were negative really.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2022, 11:45:11 PM »
Well at least I made it through the holidays before turning positive.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2022, 12:43:46 PM »
I followed the advice on timing of the medical professional who gave me access to the tests for me to bring home.

Your medical professional provided poor advice. Antigen tests are typically inaccurate until a 1-2 days after symptom onset.

An incubation period of 3-days is on the short end, so unlikely to show positive on an antigen test until 4-7 days after exposure.

Hoping you are still negative, but your medical professional has a poor understanding of disease progression and testing accuracies. This is not that unusual as most have limited understanding of this new disease, and do not necessarily read/understand the testing literature. And recent CDC guidance is misleading.

Most people I know that were tested regularly after exposure are negative on day 4/5 still (even if symptomatic), positive on day 6 after exposure. This is one of the reasons I'm against some of the CDC's new rules. Whereas individuals are likely to be symptomatic after 5-days post exposure, they quite likely may be COVID negative on antigen tests.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:49:34 PM by forgetful »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2022, 12:53:34 PM »
He may have misinterpreted the "medical professional's" advice.  You can test positive as soon as day 3, but you really aren't in the clear until day six as I understand it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2022, 12:54:38 PM »
There are all sorts of anecdotal stories in the Vaccine Hunters group of people testing positive on rapid tests or home tests, negative in PCR’’s, vice versa,  and the timelines vary wildly as well. Also complicating matters is that there are other things floating around as well.
Omicron is just all over the place.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2022, 12:58:31 PM »
He may have misinterpreted the "medical professional's" advice.  You can test positive as soon as day 3, but you really aren't in the clear until day six as I understand it.

I agree with this. This is consistent with everything I've seen regarding testing accuracy.

I would never test before day 4. Although you could test positive earlier, it would have poor diagnostic utility (more likely to be a false negative).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2022, 01:13:06 PM »
I agree with this. This is consistent with everything I've seen regarding testing accuracy.

I would never test before day 4. Although you could test positive earlier, it would have poor diagnostic utility (more likely to be a false negative).

I think with Omicron experts are starting to suggest day three though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2022, 03:54:23 PM »

I think with Omicron experts are starting to suggest day three though.

Omicron does proliferate more rapidly in the nose and throat, which would suggest earlier positive antigen tests, but more data is needed.

Even then, I personally would advise to wait until at least day 4, because you wouldn't know which strain your were exposed to, and knowing on day 3 vs. day 4 does not provide a diagnostic benefit and would just strain testing supplies.

Until day 5, everyone should be quarantining if exposed, unless you are essential personnel and have a booster, under which case you can work, but must wear an N95 or respirator in all public spaces (CDC current guidance).

If you are symptomatic, wait 24-hours before testing. That is unlikely to occur before day 4, and you are still not allowed to return to public spaces at all until either 5 days have elapsed (return on day 6), and you have had no fever for over 24-hours without taking Tylenol or other suppressants.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:22:24 PM by forgetful »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2022, 03:58:46 PM »
I should add a caveat to the above post.

If you are an individual who would be at risk for severe infection, including hospitalization/death, then I would recommend early testing by day 3.

There is a diagnostic benefit in these individuals as you could initiate monoclonal antibodies earlier to stem severe infection risks.

This is a relatively small component of the population so would not be generally advisable, and would not strain the testing supply.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2022, 04:36:04 PM »
There are all sorts of anecdotal stories in the Vaccine Hunters group of people testing positive on rapid tests or home tests, negative in PCR’’s, vice versa,  and the timelines vary wildly as well. Also complicating matters is that there are other things floating around as well.
Omicron is just all over the place.

Home tests are kind of jank for Omicron.  I've heard people testing negative, and then swabbing their throats instead of nasals, and the test shows positive.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2022, 06:29:34 PM »
Yes that has been discussed in our FB group as well.  It how the UK tests I believe.  Though the home tests advise against doing that.  There is some evidence that Omicron will show up in the throat before the nose.  I wonder how that impacts saliva-based tests.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2022, 06:57:21 PM »
Yes that has been discussed in our FB group as well.  It how the UK tests I believe.  Though the home tests advise against doing that.  There is some evidence that Omicron will show up in the throat before the nose.  I wonder how that impacts saliva-based tests.

Now that you mention it when I left Ireland they did swab my throat as well. Didn't think anything of it till just now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2022, 07:47:10 PM »
Now that you mention it when I left Ireland they did swab my throat as well. Didn't think anything of it till just now.

That wasn't a swab, kimosabe. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2022, 08:22:55 PM »
My younger daughter was over a friend's house yesterday evening as she was exchanging Christmas presents with 5 high school friends.

One of the girls informed the group this morning that she found out she is COVID positive.  Apparently, she went for testing yesterday before the gathering.  Everyone is very angry especially the parents who had the gathering at their house.  She obviously should have stayed home.  The inconsideration.  My daughter said she was acting evasive during the gathering and they couldn't figure out why.

My house is vaxed and  boosted so we're hoping for the best.  The wrinkle is my older daughter is leaving for France this Sunday for study abroad.  Hoping COVID doesn't screw up travel plans.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2022, 08:28:09 PM »
I would be angry as well.
I think the recommendation is that close contacts should mask, and with someone leaving for France that might be a good extra precaution to take in her part as well. Use a good quality mask.
Fingers crossed everyone stays well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2022, 09:09:28 PM »
Everyone is very angry especially the parents who had the gathering at their house. 

Not trying to be antagonistic, but curious.  Was she not feeling well?  Did everyone else test before the gathering?  Was everyone vaccinated?

Perhaps I'm inconsiderate, but I haven't been testing before gatherings.  I haven't asked my friends.  I know they are vaccinated though.  If I didn't feel well, I would certainly just stay home (not get a test and then show up).

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2022, 07:27:03 AM »
Not trying to be antagonistic, but curious.  Was she not feeling well?  Did everyone else test before the gathering?  Was everyone vaccinated?

Perhaps I'm inconsiderate, but I haven't been testing before gatherings.  I haven't asked my friends.  I know they are vaccinated though.  If I didn't feel well, I would certainly just stay home (not get a test and then show up).

Daughter said her friend did not look sick, but obviously something triggered her to get tested.
Everyone at her gathering was vaccinated according to my daughter.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2022, 07:31:52 AM »
Daughter said her friend did not look sick, but obviously something triggered her to get tested.
Everyone at her gathering was vaccinated according to my daughter.

This is frustrating.  I had to quarantine because I tested positive.  After two days, I felt fine but my employer has the 5 day quarantine mandated.  After 5, tested clear and returned to work but have to mask for 5 more.

My frustration is knowing guys I work with have the symptoms and feel like crud and won’t take the time off or get tested.  I also know they’re not masking.  What happens?  More spread of this virulent strain, more sickness. 

Bite the bullet.  Quarantine and get well if you test positive or feel sick.  I know my job isn’t important enough that 5 days in January will matter.  My NYE and NY days plan went up in smoke but it was a simple sacrifice.

Point of this ramble?  Selfishness isn’t going to help and continues to hinder
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2022, 07:51:02 AM »

Point of this ramble?  Selfishness isn’t going to help and continues to hinder

The Golden Rule is so easy to remember.  Do unto others as you would want done unto you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2022, 08:19:51 AM »
Both times I got COVID, it was from close friends who chose to ignore their symptoms.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2022, 08:25:08 AM »
Both times I got COVID, it was from close friends who chose to ignore their symptoms.
Sounds like you should stop hanging out with friends. Pretty reckless behavior in the first place.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2022, 08:33:10 AM »
The first time was at work.   My friend came to work symptomatic.  The second time was the first time we had guests in our home since February 2020.   So, yeah, I need fewer friends.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback