[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Improvements in your life that COVID has wrought  (Read 5024 times)

tower912

• All American
Improvements in your life that COVID has wrought
« on: October 24, 2021, 06:54:53 PM »
1.   Appreciate the hiking trails at the county parks more.   
2.   Carry out.     Almost never did it pre-COVID
3.   Renewed commitment to walking and carrying my bag whenever possible when I golf.
4.   Appreciation for life's smaller moments and not taking them for granted. 
5.    Increased appreciation for essential workers.    The truckers, grocery stockers, farmers, butchers, canners.    The appreciation for the interconnectedness of the global economy.     Workers getting more money.   
6.   The reminder to be patient.   That we (the universal American we) have been given many things that we take for granted and that we should be reminded to be more patient and appreciative of what we do have. 

It is my fervent hope that with Christmas approaching, the global supply glitches will force us all to be less consumeristic and more appreciative.    That instead of a manufactured faux war on Christmas, that we can remember what it is supposed to be about.    Not just more. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Improvements in your life that COVID has wrought
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 07:00:23 PM »
Bought a house (money was meant for travel)

got engaged earlier than expected because we were living together during Covid.

Both my fiancé and I got really into cooking and found that is a shared passion

Appreciation for activities and events
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 10:41:29 PM »
3.   Renewed commitment to walking and carrying my bag whenever possible when I golf.
5.    Increased appreciation for essential workers.    The truckers, grocery stockers, farmers, butchers, canners.    The appreciation for the interconnectedness of the global economy.     Workers getting more money.   
6.   The reminder to be patient.   That we (the universal American we) have been given many things that we take for granted and that we should be reminded to be more patient and appreciative of what we do have. 

It is my fervent hope that with Christmas approaching, the global supply glitches will force us all to be less consumeristic and more appreciative.    That instead of a manufactured faux war on Christmas, that we can remember what it is supposed to be about.    Not just more.

Tower

Wouldn’t it be great if life’s most important lessons were learned when the livin’ is (relatively speaking) easy? Unfortunately, adversity is generally a much better teacher.
It reminds us to appreciate true wealth - our friends and family - and the joy that can be found within the ordinary. And when the adversity is macro rather than personal, it reminds us of how much more we’re alike than different. Usually. Not this time, though. Too bad.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 11:33:19 AM »
Good thread, tower. We need more good stuff like this. For me-

-Much more clarity on who, and what I spend my time on. Being without has really brought into focus what, and who, I missed and didn't.

-Outdoor gatherings with friends. Drinks in the backyard, bringing the TV out to watch a game. Hardly did that before.

-Greater appreciation for our neighborhood. We're lucky to have a block full of kids that are near the same age, but last summer was so awkward with getting together. We had a block party this weekend, and seeing that toddler gang having a ball together brought a lot of joy.

-The constant reminder of life's fragility. Having friends hospitalized last year with COVID was an eye-opener, and helped me become more present at home.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 03:05:29 PM »
Bourbon

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 07:39:29 PM »

Agree with every one of these, tower.

I can't carry any more because my surgically-repaired shoulders won't take it, but I've walked with a pull cart many times since the pandemic began, and I enjoy it on most courses.

My family always has been close, but this has helped reinforce the need to keep in touch and support each other.

We don't do carry out much, but we've been looking for places with good outdoor dining and/or drinking spaces.

And I especially second what you say about #5. These folks keep America going, and they deserve to be treated with respect and gratitude.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 06:29:19 AM »
1) no commute.  An hour of my life back every day

2) no work travel. Being able to say goodnight to my kids every night

3) a finished basement with much of the work completed by me. Lots of learning and lots of hard work and no major do-overs or injuries.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 07:58:54 AM »
Knot won fookin' thin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 08:50:00 AM »
Knot won fookin' thin', hey?

Glass half-full kinda guy, eh?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »
1) no commute.  An hour of my life back every day

2) no work travel. Being able to say goodnight to my kids every night

3) a finished basement with much of the work completed by me. Lots of learning and lots of hard work and no major do-overs or injuries.

100% forgot about your first point. That's been huge! I was going up to Lincolnshire from Chicago and had to leave at 6am to avoid the insane traffic. Coming back was always a nightmare. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 09:25:35 AM »
I miss my 20 min commute a little bit and the human interaction in the office. Being able to take the dog for a walk in the middle of the day is nice. Getting a workout in during the day is nice as well.

Things I really enjoy are the curbside pickup options. Increased outdoor seating. Having a young child, virtual events has made life a little easier.

Since the vaccines, a lot more family time than probably would have gotten otherwise. Getting to know neighbors better with patio hangouts.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 09:47:09 AM »
Commute is a big one. It can two hours back into your day. It also makes you realize how inefficient the public sector is in approaching problems, especially traffic flow and emissions waste. Instead of red light cameras and red lights on every bloc that stops traffic, invest in the smart technology that senses and moves traffic by algorithms.

Don't even start me on the ORD debacle between the people mover and the Terminal 2 prep construction.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 09:49:29 AM »
Wfh???

You folks can't be trusted doing that! You aren't productive enough!

Get back to the office, plebs

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 10:02:34 AM »
Wfh???

You folks can't be trusted doing that! You aren't productive enough!

Get back to the office, plebs

Okay Keefe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 10:02:49 AM »
Glass half-full kinda guy, eh?

Nah, just a realist. Its been a grind daily. Challenges galore. Normallcy can't get here fast enough. The past 19 months have felt like 19 years, hey?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 12:51:07 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 10:06:56 AM »
The biggest for me is it really fast tracked my relationship with my wife.  We went from a largely long distance relationship of 3ish years, to co-habitating in a tiny NYC apartment for 3 months quarantine, then her moving to Wisconsin whilst remote, and then us getting engaged and married in the span of 7-8 months in 2021.  We had kind of been in a weird limbo for awhile, but it really put us through the meat grinder and made us really take stock and evaluate ourselves and the outcome was amazing.

Otherwise, I honestly struggle to grab a lot of enduring benefits.  While Ive been fortunate not to lose any close friends or family to COVID, it has been an incredibly difficult time for me business wise (though that has markedly improved over the last 6 months) as well as emotionally.  There are some things I will appreciate more once its fully back, especially regarding international travel and business, but its hard to appreciate the "old way" in its complete absence.  I appreciate every little step closer to "normal" but thats not a long lasting take away.

I will pose one thing, maybe counter to the jist of the thread.  I absolutely agree with an renewed appreciation for essential workers and staff that have had to take the brunt of this.  However, independent of them, I worry about the "changes due to COVID" that really werent directly related to COVID and how much will endure, when it comes to service, hospitality, costs, etc... as companies see a way to cut costs or find new pockets of profit.

The WFH dichotomy is amusing to me.  So many people understandably happy without having to go to an office or commute, but getting back into the office was one of the little pleasures for me in all this.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
It kept more local golf courses from closing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 10:38:29 AM »
100% forgot about your first point. That's been huge! I was going up to Lincolnshire from Chicago and had to leave at 6am to avoid the insane traffic. Coming back was always a nightmare.

Mine was 3 hours round trip. I had already announced my plan to retire effective April 15, 2020, but if I was coming back, I would have said NFW am I coming into the office every day once they opened the office back up.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 11:02:27 AM »
Mine was 3 hours round trip. I had already announced my plan to retire effective April 15, 2020, but if I was coming back, I would have said NFW am I coming into the office every day once they opened the office back up.

Ouch! mine got to that level a couple times but mostly around holidays going by ohare/rosemont. I'd retire too if I was losing 3hrs a day every day!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 12:46:15 PM »

Nah, just a realistic. Its been a grind daily. Challenges galore. Normallcy can't get here fast enough. The past 19 months have felt like 19 years, hey?

Sorry to hear that. I unironically appreciate you as an essential worker.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 12:51:52 PM »
Thanks Kin. I appreciate it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 09:20:42 AM »
My golf game has come back to life. I played more golf over the past nineteen months and rekindled my love of the game. Prior to Covid if not for my boys loving the game I would have hung up the sticks. While only 75% or so back, it feels good to be trending the right way.

Extra golf bonus, my son won lottery for two practice rounds at The Open Championship at St. Andrews and we will be attending the 150th. Very jacked up about the upcoming trip to St. Andrews.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:23:26 AM by Goose »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2021, 02:50:14 AM »
My golf game has come back to life. I played more golf over the past nineteen months and rekindled my love of the game. Prior to Covid if not for my boys loving the game I would have hung up the sticks. While only 75% or so back, it feels good to be trending the right way.

Extra golf bonus, my son won lottery for two practice rounds at The Open Championship at St. Andrews and we will be attending the 150th. Very jacked up about the upcoming trip to St. Andrews.

That's really cool about St. Andrews, Goose! You're gonna have a blast.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 03:04:52 PM »
-bought a condo (money meant for our trip to Scotland/Belgium/Germany)
-created an exercise room and work out exclusively from home now. 15 pounds of muscle added, no more gym and studio fees, just the Peloton membership.
-I barely buy new clothes anymore and just keep wearing what I have. Discretionary spending overall is down significantly.
-got more heavily into Scotch and Bourbon. More beer at home too. That's a nice cost savings.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 04:48:25 PM »
I got bored. Started walking. Lost 75 lbs. Have kept if off so far this year. Average about 400,000 steps a month.

While we were able to do a couple low key vacations, we are taking the savings and making up for lack of travel next year.
Mardi Gras parade participants in New Orleans, skiing in Colorado, three weeks in Europe - Paris, Germany and either Copenhagen or Belgium.

So get vaccinated! Don’t screw up my vaca!