[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Star Wars Universe Thread  (Read 13415 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Star Wars Universe Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2022, 10:47:49 AM »
Are you guys familiar with the Clone Wars series?

Some of the Ahsoka/Luke interaction is fed directly from Ahsoka/Anakin that was explored in CW. And also the Bane character is quite familiar to Clone Wars watchers. Deep cuts for nerds.

Cad Bane was AWESOME

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2022, 01:39:16 PM »
Are you guys familiar with the Clone Wars series?

Some of the Ahsoka/Luke interaction is fed directly from Ahsoka/Anakin that was explored in CW. And also the Bane character is quite familiar to Clone Wars watchers. Deep cuts for nerds.

I am aware that Clone Wars exists. I am not nearly enough of a Star Wars fanatic to watch 'em.

I've liked SW since I saw ANH in the theater in 1977. I've seen each of the original trilogy at least a dozen times, watched 'em with my kids, saw each of the other movies at least once, including Rogue One (which I really liked) and Solo (which I didn't hate the way some did). I've thoroughly enjoyed the Mandalorian, which even my wife liked (and she's not into SW at all).

But I'm not deep in the SW weeds. I can understand how those who are might have liked that last episode of Boba Fett. I just thought it was pretty boring.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2022, 01:47:14 PM »
To be clear, I'm by no means trying to criticize anyone who is deep into Star Wars and loves everything Star Wars. I'm familiar with Clone Wars, but didn't consume it.

My thought process is there is potentially a great and interesting story to tell with The Book of Boba Fett. A "backstory" of Boba coming back, combined with a criminal underworld on Tatooine, with a Western backdrop for seven episodes would be awesome (if built right). If you bring Mando in at the tail end of episode 6 and build towards some epic showdown with the syndicates in the finale would be sweet.

It was cool as hell to have Luke show up in the Season 2 finale of Mando, but the absolute minimum you use him now, the better at this point.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2022, 01:52:51 PM »
It was cool as hell to have Luke show up in the Season 2 finale of Mando, but the absolute minimum you use him now, the better at this point.

Totally this.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2022, 03:28:11 PM »
To be clear, I'm by no means trying to criticize anyone who is deep into Star Wars and loves everything Star Wars. I'm familiar with Clone Wars, but didn't consume it.

My thought process is there is potentially a great and interesting story to tell with The Book of Boba Fett. A "backstory" of Boba coming back, combined with a criminal underworld on Tatooine, with a Western backdrop for seven episodes would be awesome (if built right). If you bring Mando in at the tail end of episode 6 and build towards some epic showdown with the syndicates in the finale would be sweet.

There’s a belief this was intended as a five-part series and a lot of the ancillary stuff has been added late
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2022, 11:07:50 AM »
It seems like the new crew is trying to please two masters and often that leaves everyone looking for more substance.

I wonder if the Boba Fett stuff is similar to the idea that we can paint whatever we like on a blank canvas, and people have certainly done so the last four decades+, but when trying to flesh it out they found it splintered off into many different areas that we've yet to see fully coalesce.

Eager to see how they tie it all together tomorrow night but it may just be a launchpad for content they want to release later this year and in 2023.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2022, 09:21:38 AM »
I can see where people unfamiliar with Clone Wars might not be able to follow E6, but it was the best of the series by far, IMO. It was a storytelling keystone that bridges what has come before with what will come in the next few years. Just awesome bomb drop after awesome bomb drop.

I know it's a LOT, and that's how I felt when I waded into Clone Wars (currently in Season 5 myself) but there are some guides of must-watch episodes like this that make it easier to get through while hitting all the key points and characters. It's worth getting to know Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Duchess Satine, Asajj Ventress, Saw Gerrera (later seen in Rogue One), Hondo, Savage Opress, Captain Rex, and so many other characters and plotlines. The animation takes some getting used to, but it's a really good show that makes stuff like Rogue One, Mandalorian, and TBOBF so much better.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
I can see where people unfamiliar with Clone Wars might not be able to follow E6, but it was the best of the series by far, IMO. It was a storytelling keystone that bridges what has come before with what will come in the next few years. Just awesome bomb drop after awesome bomb drop.

I know it's a LOT, and that's how I felt when I waded into Clone Wars (currently in Season 5 myself) but there are some guides of must-watch episodes like this that make it easier to get through while hitting all the key points and characters. It's worth getting to know Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Duchess Satine, Asajj Ventress, Saw Gerrera (later seen in Rogue One), Hondo, Savage Opress, Captain Rex, and so many other characters and plotlines. The animation takes some getting used to, but it's a really good show that makes stuff like Rogue One, Mandalorian, and TBOBF so much better.

I've seen the first three seasons. That enough or should I put a pin in watching this one?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2022, 09:45:20 AM »

Even as a deep SW fan - including clone wars, rebels and books - this show has felt so jumbled and awkwardly thrown together. Narrative has been poor.

You tune in expecting boba Fett stuff and it's all over the place.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2022, 12:07:59 AM »
Overall, just a gigantic miss with this series. I still don’t understand how you take an iconic character, and turn him into a total afterthought.

The finale was the equivalent of me trying to order at a McDonalds drive through for a minivan full of my three kids and their friends…throw a bunch of stuff together and kinda hope it all comes out ok…and it never does.

I can’t recall a series I’ve watched that was as disjointed as this, and just didn’t seem to really care to fix any of it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2022, 06:32:30 AM »
I liked episode 7, enjoyed the action and rooting for some of the characters, and wrapped up the series just fine. And overall, I'd say Boba Fett was OK. Nowhere near as good as The Mandalorian, but I don't regret the few hours I spent watching it.

Was it "disjointed," as Dish says? Sure. But as I said earlier, I'm a SW fan but not a fanatic or "nerd." I look at this stuff as escapism; I didn't go in hoping for a masterpiece of storytelling.

And the arc of the Star Wars universe certainly doesn't matter to me. There is 0.0% chance I watch the Clone Wars. Yeah, I know, brew ... I'm a heretic!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 10:14:24 AM by MU82 »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2022, 07:40:16 AM »
I liked episode 7, enjoyed the action and rooting for some of the characters, and wrapped up the series just fine. And overall, I'd say Boba Fett was OK. Nowhere near as good as The Mandalorian, but I don't regret the few hours I spent watching it.

Was it "disjointed," as Dish says? Sure. But as I said earlier, I'm a SW fan but not a fanatic or "nerd." I look at this stuff as escapism; I didn't go in hoping to for a masterpiece of storytelling.

And the arc of the Star Wars universe certainly doesn't matter to me. There is 0.0% chance I watch the Clone Wars. Yeah, I know, brew ... I'm a heretic!

Spot on review.
I enjoyed the series.  Not as much as The Mandalorian, but it was fun.

And the good news is Timmy Olyphant will be back.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2022, 01:56:38 PM »
Just finished it during lunch. It was ok. Definitely got me hyped for the mandalorian next season.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2022, 05:03:18 AM »

Nah, not a heretic, I just think the target audience isn't people like you and Dish. This was closure for the Boba Fett/Cad Bane arc and world-building Fennec, the Mods, and Krrsantan. All that was designed for people that did watch Clone Wars, and they knew they could do this because of the success of characters like Ahsoka in Mando.

I think of this as a Mandalorian season that focusses elsewhere, hence the "Book" of Boba Fett. He was just one of the characters that got chapters and it was part of a greater overall storyline. I could see a second season that's more an anthology, giving different characters episodes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2022, 07:41:58 AM »
Nah, not a heretic, I just think the target audience isn't people like you and Dish. This was closure for the Boba Fett/Cad Bane arc and world-building Fennec, the Mods, and Krrsantan. All that was designed for people that did watch Clone Wars, and they knew they could do this because of the success of characters like Ahsoka in Mando.

I think of this as a Mandalorian season that focusses elsewhere, hence the "Book" of Boba Fett. He was just one of the characters that got chapters and it was part of a greater overall storyline. I could see a second season that's more an anthology, giving different characters episodes.

I'd give a second season of Boba Fett a chance. And I'd continue watching it to its conclusion as long as they don't make having deep knowledge of the inner workings of the SW universe mandatory for enjoying it.

The beauty of the Mandalorian (and the best parts of Boba Fett IMHO) is that while they might have advanced some greater SW universe storyline, one didn't need to be what you referred to as a "Star Wars nerd" to enjoy it. My wife, who hadn't watched anything Star Wars themed since Empire Strikes Back, loves the Mandalorian. I would think Disney would want to keep viewers like her (and me) in the fold.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2022, 02:42:57 AM »
Just got done watching dances with wolves episode 2.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2022, 10:37:17 PM »
So I've been watching rebels and just finished clone wars. I can't begin to explain how frustrating it is. Its awesome that we have different stories but the addition of all these other Jedi or force sensitive individuals who survived is really ticking me off. At a certain point I'm just sitting here thinking they made as many horrible decisions as possible and caused the hopeless situation that lead to the empire in the first place.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2022, 09:08:35 AM »
So I've been watching rebels and just finished clone wars. I can't begin to explain how frustrating it is. Its awesome that we have different stories but the addition of all these other Jedi or force sensitive individuals who survived is really ticking me off. At a certain point I'm just sitting here thinking they made as many horrible decisions as possible and caused the hopeless situation that lead to the empire in the first place.

While totally true, part of what I enjoy about those is seeing mistakes the Jedi made. They definitely aren't the infallible gurus Lucas made them out to be, which makes sense considering their regime collapsed to the Sith. I also like how the Jedi philosophies, mostly based on individualism and a departure from emotion are now placed in contrast with the Mandalorian "Way" where it is all about connection, mostly centered on the Din Djarin/Grogu/Luke love triangle.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2022, 02:53:38 PM »
The Kenobi trailer is 🔥 🔥 🔥

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2022, 03:20:00 PM »
While totally true, part of what I enjoy about those is seeing mistakes the Jedi made. They definitely aren't the infallible gurus Lucas made them out to be, which makes sense considering their regime collapsed to the Sith. I also like how the Jedi philosophies, mostly based on individualism and a departure from emotion are now placed in contrast with the Mandalorian "Way" where it is all about connection, mostly centered on the Din Djarin/Grogu/Luke love triangle.

And I agree with this to an extent but I'm just sitting here thinking there's too much randomness.

Random things that happen that bug me:

1) rather than collaborate together the Jedi split up and as they're hunted down don't think "oh yeah we'd probably be better together" not saying they would've been perfect but a merry band of Kanan, Obi Wan, Yoda, Asoka (just chill don't need to be all Jedi), and the handful of others mentioned would've been a solid group to hang out, train, protect a couple babies, recruit rebels.

2) Princess Leia not being with her family. Ok so they put luke with his step uncle and aunt. How is that any less obvious than sending leia to Naboo to be with her family? Nope just give her to this rando senator who happens to be on a ship.

3) Rebels rewriting everything. This is a big one. Did ezra just open up an MCU style multiverse? Because personally as much as I hate it I'd be pro cutting the recent 3 from canon.

4) Maul. First, just why bring him back? They had a valid bad guy in his brother who could've had the same arc. He goes back and forth from being Jim Carey to being epically deceitful to being super strong.

5) The inquisitors. So this whole crew of Jedi just went completely bad and then a few die and they just nope off and disappear?

6) Ezra. So here's where we're at, if he comes back then he has to die or else it invalidates Yoda referring to Luke and Leia as the last hopes. If he doesn't come back then it invalidates the epilogue of Rebels. If he's missing till the recent events then it's random they hired a young actress to play Sabine for the Asoka show.

7) ventress. They just cut her? She was skilled enough to fight Maul, hold her own vs dooku, and various Jedi but instead she's just cut and they casually explain it away as she died as she's becoming good in some legends book? So much build up for nothing.

Last, do I have to watch Bad Batch for canon material or is it just filler?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 04:02:00 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2022, 03:37:25 PM »
The Kenobi trailer is 🔥 🔥 🔥

Please, please, PLEASE don't f*ck this up.

Do we know if Filoni or Favreau are involved with this one?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2022, 10:28:12 AM »
Finally finished Book of Boba Fett.  What a hot mess.

I've seen about 2.5 seasons of Clone Wars. So I know enough about the Cad Bane tie in with Boba.  But man, two ancillary characters that I don't really care about...it all just fell flat.

They basically plopped a Mandalorian episode in the middle of this thing.  I want to rewatch episodes 5 because that was my favorite episode and I feel like I missed a lot of stuff.

But I really don't like the Grogu and Luke stuff.  I would have preferred they were left out, leaving a sense of mystery about what happened to Grogu and Luke.

I think the effort to tie everything together is really hurting Star Wars.  You have this huge galaxy and all of these characters continue to cross paths.  Like, really?  IMO, not everyone needs to have one degree of separation from the main characters.  5-6 degrees of separation is better in some cases and would make the story more believable.

Plus, I think Boba Fett's story could have been completely wrapped in the original trilogy.  Giving him a backstory in the prequels and a character arc through the time of the Mandalorian just feels unnecessary.  It's bad fan service type stuff that distracts from the main story.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2022, 10:41:09 AM »
Apparently there were some major changes made to the original script of Kenobi because it was "too dark"? The series that tells the story of Obi Wan after he had to dismember his best friend who betrayed him and is forced into hiding after the Empire killed almost everyone he knows? Isn't "dark" kind of the point?

Disney is making the same mistake here they made with Boba Fett. We wanted an antihero crime lord badass ruthlessly building his empire across the galaxy, and we got Mandalorian season 2.5 with Boba playing sheriff on Tatooine. The point of these series should be to provide opportunities for other kinds of stories to be told in the SW universe, and deviate from the motifs of the films where the hero is always good, the cause is always noble, and the setting is always f-ing Tatooine.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2022, 11:24:01 AM »
Apparently there were some major changes made to the original script of Kenobi because it was "too dark"? The series that tells the story of Obi Wan after he had to dismember his best friend who betrayed him and is forced into hiding after the Empire killed almost everyone he knows? Isn't "dark" kind of the point?

Disney is making the same mistake here they made with Boba Fett. We wanted an antihero crime lord badass ruthlessly building his empire across the galaxy, and we got Mandalorian season 2.5 with Boba playing sheriff on Tatooine. The point of these series should be to provide opportunities for other kinds of stories to be told in the SW universe, and deviate from the motifs of the films where the hero is always good, the cause is always noble, and the setting is always f-ing Tatooine.

https://youtu.be/bFgYjHgJTFw

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2022, 02:51:34 PM »
https://youtu.be/bFgYjHgJTFw

Believe it or not, I'm not even that big of a SW fan. Saw none of the last trilogy in theaters. But maybe I would be if the execs knew how to properly use the treasure trove of lore they're sitting on. Instead it's becoming the next Marvel...