[Today at 01:43:07 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Star Wars Universe Thread  (Read 13414 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Star Wars Universe Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2022, 03:53:36 PM »
Finally finished Obi-Wan. It was OK. Better than Boba Fett, not nearly as good as Mandalorian IMHO.

Obi-Wan went on to regret having not killed Anakin years earlier, so why didn't he finish off Vader this time when he definitely had the chance to do so?

Vader easily could have killed Obi-Wan but instead just buried him in rocks and had to know Obi-Wan wasn't dead. Why?

Why didn't Vader kill Reva? I have to agree with Rico about the Reva character. All over the place.

Don't all these people learn from the James Bond movies and even the old Batman series? Just effen kill the person you theoretically want dead!

And why did Obi-Wan have to go into hiding at the end, not to resurface for years and years?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2022, 03:54:38 PM »
Finally finished Obi-Wan. It was OK. Better than Boba Fett, not nearly as good as Mandalorian IMHO.

Obi-Wan went on to regret having not killed Anakin years earlier, so why didn't he finish off Vader this time when he definitely had the chance to do so?

Vader easily could have killed Obi-Wan but instead just buried him in rocks and had to know Obi-Wan wasn't dead. Why?

Why didn't Vader kill Reva? I have to agree with Rico about the Reva character. All over the place.

Don't all these people learn from the James Bond movies and even the old Batman series? Just effen kill the person you theoretically want dead!

And why did Obi-Wan have to go into hiding at the end, not to resurface for years and years?

It was an unnecessary show
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2022, 04:07:51 PM »
Obi Wan was meh.

Not bad. But completely unecessary.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2022, 04:15:51 PM »
Obi Wan was meh.

Not bad. But completely unecessary.

There’s probably a story worth telling.  And the idea of a young Leia story is interesting, as is a story of any younglings that survived Order 66.  All together?  Eh
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2022, 04:39:34 PM »
There’s probably a story worth telling.  And the idea of a young Leia story is interesting, as is a story of any younglings that survived Order 66.  All together?  Eh

I like the idea, Unk. Let's put you in charge of a Leia project!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2022, 08:06:56 PM »
Obi-Wan was, for me, classic early MCU. I had to learn to put aside the "we need an alcoholic Tony story" and "but Thor is supposed to take over Donald Blake" and all the other non-accurate complaints.

Obi-Wan wasn't perfect, but it was fun and the battles between Ben and Vader were the ones we deserved. I'll take it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2022, 10:19:33 PM »
I just binged all 6 episodes this weekend. I enjoyed it for the most part, but episode 6 had too many head scratching moments. Like how the hell does Reva (who at the end of episode 5 has a lightsaber through her) make it to Tatooine while Vader/Obi Wan are just leaving in space? How the heck did she both survive and then get there? Other people asked the obvious other questions that I had.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2022, 10:23:47 PM »
I just binged all 6 episodes this weekend. I enjoyed it for the most part, but episode 6 had too many head scratching moments. Like how the hell does Reva (who at the end of episode 5 has a lightsaber through her) make it to Tatooine while Vader/Obi Wan are just leaving in space? How the heck did she both survive and then get there? Other people asked the obvious other questions that I had.

It’s a mess.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2022, 06:17:35 PM »

What a mess

From now on, if Filoni and Favreau aren't involved, it shouldn't be greenlit

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2022, 12:42:42 AM »
Finally finished Obi-Wan.  Some parts were really cool, others made no sense.

Things were pretty good thru 2.75 episodes, then things went off the rails.  Tried to do too much in too little time.

Overall, I still enjoyed the miniseries.  It did add some depth to the SW lore, even though there were plot holes the size of the dune sea.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2022, 04:47:19 PM »

The Force?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2022, 09:59:36 PM »
Mark my words, Andor will be the best Star Wars/Disney+ show.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2022, 05:45:18 AM »
Finally finished Obi-Wan.  Some parts were really cool, others made no sense.

Things were pretty good thru 2.75 episodes, then things went off the rails.  Tried to do too much in too little time.

Overall, I still enjoyed the miniseries.  It did add some depth to the SW lore, even though there were plot holes the size of the dune sea.

I just finished yesterday.  Enjoyed also and fun to see all the characters back.

The Inquisitors was an interesting add that I was unaware existed in The SWU.

They definitely left a lot open on purpose for more sessions.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2022, 08:53:50 AM »

Star Wars suffers a bit from not knowing exactly how *hard* to make its worldbuilding elements. Think of science fiction as a spectrum from Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars on one hand where the science is *almost* accurate and no laws of physics shall ever be broken and, for example, Star Wars and the samurai adventure of space wizards on the other. Even when writing "soft" SF, the sort where Obi Wan can become a force ghost and talk to Luke after dying and laser swords are a viable weapon when people have guns, the key to make it satisfying is to establish whatever rules you want to govern the world, and then stick to them.

Star Wars IV-VI did this admirably. The EU books I read as a kid seemed to commit to doing so as well. There was this sort of rulebook at play that governed all manner of things about how the characters can navigate the universe, how the technology works, how the force works, etc., and then Lucas Arts forced the writers to play inside the sandbox. Post JJ Abrams, they have basically said "nope, it's rule of cool forever and always."

Reva getting to Tattooine at the end, and then Obi Wan pursuing her there, is a great example of how breaking logical rules leads to unsatisfying results. We know that it takes time to travel from place to place and everyone dating back to Chewy playing space chess on the Falcon in IV knows this, yet in order for the logistics of the Obi Wan conclusion to work they had to basically be like "whatever, they just get where they need to go instantaneously." Even if you're not a weirdo like me who thinks about the storytelling elements and effects and spend time diagnosing why that was unsatisfying, almost everyone is going have some degree of "wait a minute" when some established rule of the world is just flaunted for story convenience.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2022, 04:16:32 PM »
Mark my words, Andor will be the best Star Wars/Disney+ show.

The first three episodes were quite good

tower912

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2022, 07:31:26 PM »
Great origin story.   Can they make it through without referencing the Force?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2022, 07:38:54 PM »
Great origin story.   Can they make it through without referencing the Force?

I think Tony Gilroy can. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2022, 08:07:16 PM »
Syril Karn should have listened to his boss.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2022, 05:26:18 AM »
Syril Karn should have listened to his boss.

If done right, he could end up being one of the more interesting bad guys

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2022, 06:50:32 AM »
Indeed

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2022, 01:30:16 PM »
Very impressed with the first 3 episodes of Andor.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2022, 10:14:52 PM »
Went in with trepidation but, like others, enjoyed the first three episodes, especially the third.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2022, 09:46:22 AM »
Episode 4 had a lot of Easter eggs for a show that was saying it wouldn’t.  It didn’t distract from the story but interesting nonetheless. 

5 stories are in-play and thought they’re melding together nicely

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2022, 04:02:10 PM »
Episode 4 had a lot of Easter eggs for a show that was saying it wouldn’t.  It didn’t distract from the story but interesting nonetheless. 

5 stories are in-play and thought they’re melding together nicely

I didn't even notice the Easter Eggs until I saw people discussing them online.  Then I rewatched episode 4 to spot them for myself.

Overall, strong writing and acting.  Lots of tension within both the Empire and the Rebellion.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2022, 06:46:55 AM »
Episode 6 was a great payoff.  Only one quibble and that comes towards the end but overall, best of the TV series so far