[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hyperloop  (Read 24350 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Hyperloop
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2017, 08:08:11 AM »
I will say that it does seem really, really expensive and that's its application in the US would be quite limited.  Trains work better in other parts of the world because of density issues, both between population centers and within population centers.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
You need to actually look into this before coming up with these types of questions.  You can mostly answer them with the internet... especially #3.

I think his response is fitting for a "former Amtrak executive" commenting on the Hyperloop.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2017, 09:50:27 AM »
If you'd have actually bothered to do ANY reading, you'd have noticed that the hyperloop is expected to travel along existing interstate highway corridors.

Instead, you acted like a former Amtrak executive.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
I think his response is fitting for a "former Amtrak executive" commenting on the Hyperloop.

As I was posting my reply to him, you beat me to the snark by seconds.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2017, 09:53:15 AM »
As I was posting my reply to him, you beat me to the snark by seconds.

Finishing earlier than others is my forte.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2017, 10:05:04 AM »
Finishing earlier than others is my forte.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
If you'd have actually bothered to do ANY reading, you'd have noticed that the hyperloop is expected to travel along existing interstate highway corridors.

Which isn't exactly a given either.  Many of these corridors are pretty full and rights of way can be expensive. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »

Which isn't exactly a given either.  Many of these corridors are pretty full and rights of way can be expensive.

Elevated or buried has been floated

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
The players that are probably best in position to implement this are Union Pacific, CSX, and the rest of the rails. They already have rail lines, extremely sophisticated logistics systems, integration with international shipping hubs/ports/etc., and I still think that the hyperloop technology will be more effective freight system than commuter/interstate personal travel system.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »
Elevated or buried has been floated

Which are both quite expensive.

The thing about Musk is he is a big thinking guy.  Big ideas using big technology.  However, none of it has been profitable right?  The guy gets the benefit of the doubt because of his previous success, but that success mostly was due to the opposite of big technology. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2017, 12:30:47 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2017, 12:36:24 PM »
In part, that's why he started this company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boring_Company

That sounds like a dull company.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
But seriously, is Elon Musk just doing all of this to bilk venture investors out of their fortunes?  Seriously, what major advances in building tunnels is this company actually going to accomplish?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2017, 12:57:05 PM »
But seriously, is Elon Musk just doing all of this to bilk venture investors out of their fortunes?  Seriously, what major advances in building tunnels is this company actually going to accomplish?

The less flashy IP generated by his companies alone is worth what investors are paying. For every moonshot effort he's making there is small and unheralded innovations that are generated (even if the project/company is a failure) which have a myriad of applications that advance society in subtler ways. A lot of people don't realize that Musk leases out some of the technology to other companies to deploy in their products, including to Google.

Similar concept, Milwaukee Tool is a rapidly growing company, and while their tools are good/popular they actually generate a lot of their revenue from leasing battery technology to their competitors because Milwaukee Tool got there first with a patent.

But to be fair to your point, Musk is largely a salesman.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »

20/200 vision.  Elon Musk might be nothing more than the Bob Lang of the next technological revolution.  And that's a very good thing for the rest of us.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »
The less flashy IP generated by his companies alone is worth what investors are paying. For every moonshot effort he's making there is small and unheralded innovations that are generated (even if the project/company is a failure) which have a myriad of applications that advance society in subtler ways. A lot of people don't realize that Musk leases out some of the technology to other companies to deploy in their products, including to Google.

Similar concept, Milwaukee Tool is a rapidly growing company, and while their tools are good/popular they actually generate a lot of their revenue from leasing battery technology to their competitors because Milwaukee Tool got there first with a patent.

But to be fair to your point, Musk is largely a salesman.

20/200 vision.  Elon Musk might be nothing more than the Bob Lang of the next technological revolution.  And that's a very good thing for the rest of us.

Yeah thanks.  These are good points.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2023, 06:57:55 AM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2023, 09:17:22 AM »
Done in by the requirement to turn corners.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2023, 09:46:30 AM »
Should have seen this coming when Branson took Virgin off the name as a preemptive CYA move.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2023, 10:29:40 AM »
Should have seen it coming when Elon admitted the whole idea was an attempt to distract CA from moving forward with high speed rail

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2023, 11:20:16 AM »
Should have seen it coming when Elon admitted the whole idea was an attempt to distract CA from moving forward with high speed rail

The genius is playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow