[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Star Wars Universe Thread  (Read 13703 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Star Wars Universe Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2023, 08:08:28 PM »
I think this is the Rangers cost. The escape of Moff Gideon, watching his plans unfurl, all the stuff Teva was doing, he would've just been the supporting character and all that would've been told in that series had it not been cancelled. They had to just cram it in, which left less time to dedicate to Mandalore and the actual story we were getting.

They could have either recast Cara Dune and went forward with the show, or just drop all of those plotlines.  Honestly, that whole plot added nothing to the Star Wars universe and they wouldn't be missed.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2023, 09:28:15 AM »
The first two episodes of Ahsoka were fantastic. I've enjoyed Mando and Andor, but this is the first show where you really feel like it's hitting all the Jedi/Galactic scope elements that you get with the movies. Fantastic stuff so far.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2023, 04:02:35 PM »
Well,

That was something.  Still need Chopper to commit some war crimes.  Disappointed in his lack of murder
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2023, 06:25:20 PM »
Ahsoka
Ep1 & 2: B+
Ep3: B-
Ep4: A+++++++++++++++++++++++

Episode 5 in select theaters: https://www.starwars.com/news/ahsoka-theatrical-event

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2023, 09:04:55 PM »
Chopper scenes tonight and no genocide.  Doesn’t appear he’ll do any genocide in this series.  That said…

8 episodes isn’t enough.  Spoilers…………………………Ahsoka going Gandalf wasn’t a surprise.  The journey feels like it should be a lot longer

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #155 on: September 12, 2023, 11:16:50 PM »
Same thought. Really hoping this is just going to be a setup for bigger things because I feel like there will either be a lot unresolved or it won't be resolved satisfactorily.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2023, 07:34:30 PM »
Great stuff.  But at this point it has to be setting up season 2 or a crossover.   To tie this up in 90 minutes will be rushed and disappointing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2023, 07:42:07 PM »
Great stuff.  But at this point it has to be setting up season 2 or a crossover.   To tie this up in 90 minutes will be rushed and disappointing.

Filoni has been greenlit to do a movie to tie up the entire Mandoverse.

No word on a second season other than rumors.  With the strike, that’s aways away

tower912

• All American
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2023, 07:45:34 PM »
Of course on the strike.  I am guessing  'the movie' will actually be a trilogy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2023, 08:19:28 AM »
Of course on the strike.  I am guessing  'the movie' will actually be a trilogy.

I believe the plan is Mando Season 4 -> Ahsoka season 2 -> Movie

MU82

• All American
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2023, 09:52:26 AM »
I believe the plan is Mando Season 4 -> Ahsoka season 2 -> Movie

Here's hoping Mando S4 is better than S3 was, that Ahsoka S2 is as good as S1 is, and that the movie is closer to Rogue One in quality than to other recent productions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2023, 05:59:19 AM »
Filoni has been greenlit to do a movie to tie up the entire Mandoverse.

No word on a second season other than rumors.  With the strike, that’s aways away

Not a fan of that plan at all, unless it's a direct to D+ release. The following for Mando, Ahsoka, Rebels, etc. was all built with a televised audience. I initially thought Ahsoka felt accessible for general fans, but the more I watch the more I feel you really need that backstory to understand it all. Even Thrawn is someone you probably won't fully understand if you haven't read Heir to the Empire or some of the later Zahn stuff (Rebels didn't do him justice).

Putting a Mando movie in theaters would be similar to the Serenity movie following Firefly. It was great for diehard fans, but it presumed fans knew too much and it never got the love it deserved because they screwed up the marketing and channel choice for the original show three years earlier. Incorporating all of these into a Mando series would require viewers to have even more knowledge from more properties over a longer period.

I'd watch it, but it's a bad idea to try to cram a cinematic finale into 2 hours when you'll be wrapping (at least) 4 different properties that filled hundreds of hours of screen time.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2023, 08:21:38 AM »
Not a fan of that plan at all, unless it's a direct to D+ release. The following for Mando, Ahsoka, Rebels, etc. was all built with a televised audience. I initially thought Ahsoka felt accessible for general fans, but the more I watch the more I feel you really need that backstory to understand it all. Even Thrawn is someone you probably won't fully understand if you haven't read Heir to the Empire or some of the later Zahn stuff (Rebels didn't do him justice).

Putting a Mando movie in theaters would be similar to the Serenity movie following Firefly. It was great for diehard fans, but it presumed fans knew too much and it never got the love it deserved because they screwed up the marketing and channel choice for the original show three years earlier. Incorporating all of these into a Mando series would require viewers to have even more knowledge from more properties over a longer period.

I'd watch it, but it's a bad idea to try to cram a cinematic finale into 2 hours when you'll be wrapping (at least) 4 different properties that filled hundreds of hours of screen time.

Maybe, but I imagine Disney will put older Mando seasons on ABC eventually to build the audience base (similar to what they did with Andor).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2023, 09:29:53 AM »
brew, I've always liked Star Wars, have seen all three trilogies (including each film from the original trilogy several times), most of the spin-off movies, and several of the Disney series. I have not seen any of the animated series or read any books. I'd call myself a Star Wars fan but nowhere near an afficionado who knows characters' backstories and whatnot.

Before Ahsoka, I had never even heard of Thrawn. I've liked Ahsoka but I find myself playing catch-up (but with no desire to go back and watch/read dozens of things). I know he's a real bad guy who was sent to exile but now he's being brought back to lead the evildoers back into power, and that's gonna have to be enough for now.

I'm sure it's a constant struggle for Disney on when (and how) to appeal to a bigger audience while also satisfying big-time Star Wars junkies like you.

My wife, for example, couldn't give two shytes about Star Wars ... but when I told her I really thought she'd like Mando, I rewatched S1 with her and then we watched S2 and S3 together. She loved the first two seasons but wasn't thrilled with the deep dive into Mandalorian culture in S3, so she might not tune in for S4. I'm guessing she's not alone - kids and young adults who were attracted to Baby Yoda musta been bored out of their minds for much of S3, and that's an audience Disney needs.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2023, 08:29:41 PM »
Maybe, but I imagine Disney will put older Mando seasons on ABC eventually to build the audience base (similar to what they did with Andor).

Not sure that helps much. A few will watch, but it won't be the kind of appointment television needed to generate the audience they want.

Like 82 said, there are simply aspects that won't appeal to a mass audience. I'll go watch it all, but I just don't see the market for the non-hardcore fans.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2023, 07:23:06 AM »
Not sure that helps much. A few will watch, but it won't be the kind of appointment television needed to generate the audience they want.

Like 82 said, there are simply aspects that won't appeal to a mass audience. I'll go watch it all, but I just don't see the market for the non-hardcore fans.

Probably right, but good shows (like Mando) will draw an audience.  Maybe not Oppenheimer or Force Awakens #s, but solid movies that WILL make the mouse some money.

As for episode 7, another good to very good episode, but like many of these series on Disney+ (MCU and SW), only one episode left, so much left...also, curious character arc for Sabine in this series.  She literally aided an abetted her master getting nearly murdered, and when Ahsoka comes back to save them, her only response "You're alive?".    then hugs and kisses...kinda lazy if you ask me

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2023, 07:35:15 AM »
Probably right, but good shows (like Mando) will draw an audience.  Maybe not Oppenheimer or Force Awakens #s, but solid movies that WILL make the mouse some money.

As for episode 7, another good to very good episode, but like many of these series on Disney+ (MCU and SW), only one episode left, so much left...also, curious character arc for Sabine in this series.  She literally aided an abetted her master getting nearly murdered, and when Ahsoka comes back to save them, her only response "You're alive?".    then hugs and kisses...kinda lazy if you ask me

Weak episode.  They’re trying hard to portray Thrawn as a master tactician and threat but unless you know his story, the casual viewer has to be confused why he’s such a threat.

That’s the fine line, though, they have to walk incorporating all the Star Wars media.  It’s the same problem Marvel is dealing with at the moment.  Personally, I know the threat Thrawn poses from lore and Rebels but in this story, you have to accept he’s a big bad if you don’t know the other media.

I hope they don’t tie up all the loose ends and the story continues into the second season.  It’s a shame the Baylon arc will end.  That could be interesting and add a lot of new threats to the galaxies

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2023, 06:09:50 AM »
I think the problem is that Filoni isn't great at writing Thrawn. I remember thinking that during Rebels. You read any of the Thrawn books and you understand why he's such a threat. With Tim Zahn writing him, he feels like an indomitable force, even when you think you are defeating him he is 2-3 moves ahead and has a better understanding of what his opponents do than even they do.

The series has been good, I like the reintroduction of Ezra and Sabine, and think Ahsoka is worthy of fleshing out in live action. Baylan Skoll has been a great villain (shame he won't be back) and I like the potential of Shin Hati to be a conflicted grey Jedi. But if they are going to set Thrawn up as the big bad of Filoni's corner of the universe, he should really bring Timothy Zahn in to help with writing. I know Zahn has expressed faith in Filoni, but Thrawn has never felt on screen the way he does in the books.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2023, 09:10:37 AM »

She also literally made it possible for the big, bad Thrawn to get the empire rolling again.

She's a criminal who has done irreparable harm and arguably has cost millions of innocent lives, yet she's celebrated as a hero.

It’s a shame the Baylon arc will end.  That could be interesting and add a lot of new threats to the galaxies

I thought the same. As I watched the last couple of episodes, I even wondered if he'd change sides after feeling abandoned by Thrawn, bringing his powers to the good guys.

Although who knows ... lots of assumed dead Star Warsians end up not really being dead, which is always convenient.

I also thought the ending of E7 was a little weird. Almost felt like a celebration for Ahsoka & Gang as if they had accomplished anything ... while Thrawn prepares to kill millions (or billions).

Hey, I'm enjoying the series for what it is and for what I understand (which is most but not all). 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2023, 09:14:22 AM »
She also literally made it possible for the big, bad Thrawn to get the empire rolling again.

She's a criminal who has done irreparable harm and arguably has cost millions of innocent lives, yet she's celebrated as a hero.

I thought the same. As I watched the last couple of episodes, I even wondered if he'd change sides after feeling abandoned by Thrawn, bringing his powers to the good guys.

Although who knows ... lots of assumed dead Star Warsians end up not really being dead, which is always convenient.

I also thought the ending of E7 was a little weird. Almost felt like a celebration for Ahsoka & Gang as if they had accomplished anything ... while Thrawn prepares to kill millions (or billions).

Hey, I'm enjoying the series for what it is and for what I understand (which is most but not all).

Chopper has done more damage than Sabine, though

reinko

• All American
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2023, 11:54:31 AM »
That was hot garbage.

Woof

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2023, 01:36:54 PM »
That was hot garbage.

Woof

Yeah, disappointed.  Mando season 3 wasn’t very good, either.  Let down after Andor.

Obviously anticipating a second season

MU82

• All American
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2023, 07:34:26 AM »
Agree with you both. Episodes 7 and 8 were quite bad, which was disappointing after getting me reeled in pretty good the first 6 weeks. When S2 comes out, I'll probably wait until a few of you here give it the thumbs up before I decide to watch.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2023, 07:56:31 AM »
Agree with you both. Episodes 7 and 8 were quite bad, which was disappointing after getting me reeled in pretty good the first 6 weeks. When S2 comes out, I'll probably wait until a few of you here give it the thumbs up before I decide to watch.

That’s at least two years out.  Curious if they recast Ray Stevenson’s role or drop it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2023, 08:11:14 AM »
Glad I'm not alone, YouTube's we're acting like it was the greatest thing in history but it was average... at best
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback