[Today at 02:58:27 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking  (Read 43491 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2021, 10:19:07 PM »
What are the other two?

Dropping Warriors and accepting Chico.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2021, 06:25:08 AM »
What are the other two?

Fr Pilarz
Admitting Porky

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2021, 07:39:54 AM »
Shoulda moved from da city.
The utter is obvious, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2021, 10:34:04 AM »
What are the other two?
1. Got rid of Medical School
2. Got rid of Football
3. Not closing off Wisconsin Avenue
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2021, 10:44:28 AM »
They wanted to close off Wisconsin Avenue.  The City wouldn't let them.  And by and large that's fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2021, 11:31:08 AM »
2. Got rid of Football

that wasn't MU's fault. It was the city council that shot it down, with our Alderman casting the deciding vote against it. I remember one quote from an Alderwoman who said she was not going to disrupt her commute so Ken and Barbie at MU could play in their park.

What MU did with Wisconsin Ave is the best they could do and looks good.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
that wasn't MU's fault. It was the city council that shot it down, with our Alderman casting the deciding vote against it. I remember one quote from an Alderwoman who said she was not going to disrupt her commute so Ken and Barbie at MU could play in their park.

What MU did with Wisconsin Ave is the best they could do and looks good.

A bridge or two would've been slightly better for students but agree it looks good.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »
A bridge or two would've been slightly better for students but agree it looks good.

Students would have largely ignored a bridge anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2021, 01:04:07 PM »
2. Got rid of Football

You are 0 for 3 here.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2021, 01:12:28 PM »
Yeah, if the football program would have survived, it would likely be a non-scholarship FCS program like Butler.  Or if we stuck with a scholarship program, our conference membership would have been dictated by football and we'd be trapped in the Missouri Valley and getting our asses handed to North Dakota State every year.  Because Marquette wasn't going to be an FBS program.

The medical school is a different question.  I don't understand the finances behind it, but it certainly has been successful on its own.  Would it have been as successful as part of Marquette?  I don't know.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2021, 01:27:23 PM »
What are the other two?

Closing Angelo’s
Getting rid of FFP
Hiring Wojo

Although those are all related hiring Pilarz which shows how bad of a hire that was
Bring back FFP!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
20 ft. barbed wire fence 'round campus, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2021, 01:40:00 PM »
Shoulda moved from da city.

20 ft. barbed wire fence 'round campus, hey?

Do you think Marquette would have been in better shape had they moved out to the 'Quon like Condordia did?  Because I think the urban character of Marquette is part of what draws students.

Concordia was a smaller school in a worse neighborhood than Marquette so I can see why it benefited them.

Either way, the School Sisters of Notre Dame made a mistake selling that piece of property to Concordia.  Moving Mount Mary up there would have been a long-term win for them.  Although I am not sure the Sisters are as entrepreneurial as the Lutherans ended up being.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:52:11 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2021, 01:50:55 PM »
The medical school is a different question.  I don't understand the finances behind it, but it certainly has been successful on its own.  Would it have been as successful as part of Marquette?  I don't know.

A Scooper posted a while back the reason Marquette divested from the medical school. TLDR Marquette did not have its own hospital which lead to the medical college running debts the university had to cover, much like it did with the football team before that program was ended.

In retrospect, the university and the medical school eventually parting seems ordained from the start. In the early 20th century, the American Medical Association was pressing medical schools, many of which were proprietary (owned by doctors, their doctor brothers, their doctor sons), to strengthen their science curriculum, which was most easily accomplished by affiliating with a college or university. Affiliating is the operative word here. Marquette partnering with the Milwaukee Medical College, then in the Trinity Hospital at Ninth and Wells (where the 1950s addition to Central Library stands) was part of growing from college to university.

You can read Father Raphael Hamilton's university history, MCW's "Anchor for the future," and the MCW web site for more on the early decades, including the students' walkout 100 years ago, when the AMA gave the Marquette medical program a poor grade. The medical students withdrew en masse and trooped up Fourth Street to the still-standing Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons (the painted Marquette sign on its cornice was still visible thirty years ago). WCPS had a better AMA grade, but poor finances. The mutual solution for the underfunded school and the university that had just lost its medicos? Marquette purchased WCPS and regained all the students, who with their successors studied at Fourth and Reservoir until the Cramer building was built on Fifteenth Street in the 1930s (you likely know it as the Schroeder Complex). The school ran Trinity Hospital for a few more years.

Thereafter, Marquette had no hospital in a neighborhood once full of hospitals: Saint Anthony's, Mount Sinai, Children's, Deaconess, Samaritan, and the County Emergency Hospital (the now-shuttered Columbia near UWM once had a maternity clinic at Tenth and Michigan). Absent a hospital, the school's income was limited to tuition, some grants, and gifts. Because of the affiliation, rather than a true merger, the medical school had its own board and endowment. It frequently ran a debt, about which you will hear debate (I've seen evidence enough to be convinced that the university carried the medical program for years).

When the combination of possible federal funding, with an explicit disassociation from the religiously-sponsored school, met the great support by what used to be called "the city fathers" for what up-to-date municipalities had - a regional medical complex - the Marquette University School of Medicine was spun off, becoming the Marquette Medical School in 1967. Still operating on campus for a decade, it took its present name in 1969. Once the Medical College of Wisconsin moved to the County Medical Complex, the old school was remodeled with the substantial help of the Schroeder Foundation to house our other health programs. Harriet Cramer's name was chiseled off the doorway and the medical shield ground down; you can easily read the remnants over the Fifteenth Street door.

That's a capsule of what happened. Had there been fewer nearby hospitals, the state might have issued Marquette a hospital license. With an income stream, I expect the the school would have prospered and grown. MCW now has its own strong identity and strengths beyond what the university can now offer it (check out their research support versus ours). A reunion of the two is hardly imaginable.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2021, 01:55:53 PM »
Need to improve the caliber of graduates from the dental school.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2021, 01:57:27 PM »
A Scooper posted a while back the reason Marquette divested from the medical school. TLDR Marquette did not have its own hospital which lead to the medical college running debts the university had to cover, much like it did with the football team before that program was ended.

Thank you.  I recall reading that but forgot the details.  Especially the one where Marquette and the medical school were not merged but just affiliated.  That means the medical schools was never "sold" or "spun off," it just went on its way.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2021, 01:58:46 PM »

Do you think Marquette would have been in better shape had they moved out to the 'Quon like Condordia did?  Because I think the urban character of Marquette is part of what draws students.

Concordia was a smaller school in a worse neighborhood than Marquette so I can see why it benefited them.

Either way, the School Sisters of Notre Dame made a mistake selling that piece of property to Concordia.  Moving Mount Mary up there would have been a long-term win for them.  Although I am not sure the Sisters are as entrepreneurial as the Lutherans ended up being.

Marquette students living downtown in a metropolitan setting or living up in the burbs with old white folks scared of folks who look different than them and call the cops when the decibel level rises?  They should put up barbed wire to keep out the folks from Mequon
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2021, 02:39:41 PM »

Yes, Concordia has an attractive campus right on the lake and is trivin'.  Great move by their administration to leave 33rd and State St., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2021, 04:14:23 PM »
Marquette students living downtown in a metropolitan setting or living up in the burbs with old white folks scared of folks who look different than them and call the cops when the decibel level rises?  They should put up barbed wire to keep out the folks from Mequon

Thinking Mequon is predominantly "old white folks" is pretty silly, but given that its probably purposefully used to troll 1-2 posters, I imagine thats where the hyperbole lies.

Do you think Marquette would have been in better shape had they moved out to the 'Quon like Concordia did?  Because I think the urban character of Marquette is part of what draws students.

Not to mention Concordia is significantly smaller.  They've grown aggressively, but it was under 2000 kids when the move occurred.

But what the current president has done there is pretty amazing.  The Pharmacy program was a huge win.  The bluff development is gorgeous.  The new buildings nearer the lake are modern and beautiful.  There are pockets of the campus that are pretty dang nice.  Which is a stark contrast to the ugly older buildings and unsightly older portion of campus.

That being said, it couldn't be more of a contrast to Marquette.  Not even suburban, but growing up near the campus, now that undergrad enrollment is up near 3500, I'm always kind of perplexed by where they live/hang out.  Mequon isn't prime for student housing or entertainment.  I know plenty of suburban schools that have fun areas near campus, Concordia seemingly doesn't.  Not an issue for Marquette.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2021, 04:30:16 PM »
Thinking Mequon is predominantly "old white folks" is pretty silly, but given that its probably purposefully used to troll 1-2 posters, I imagine thats where the hyperbole lies.

It's >90% white with an average age of 47. Its at least fair to say it's predominantly upper middle age white folks.
Maigh Eo for Sam

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2021, 04:49:31 PM »
Concordia buildings had some great bones. https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/concordiaspelunking

My Concordia grad brother work/studied on a student maintenance crew in the late 60s-early70s. The school owned many buildings and a bunch of houses next to the campus. A great perk of his job was his keys to the Concordia Gym (photo in article linked) .

I spent many hours watching Bucks practices (Lew Alcindor, Big O Bobby D) including their 71 champ year. The team photo I attach was taken in Concordia Gym

https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/concordiaspelunking
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2021, 05:23:05 PM »
It's >90% white with an average age of 47. Its at least fair to say it's predominantly upper middle age white folks.

Like 15% of the population is over 60-65.  Its a community made up of mostly families with kids.  Middle aged and "old" are two very different things.  One is past regular weekend bar outing age and the other is yelling at people to sit down at Marquette games.  But nobody is trying to call it diverse, then again neither is the nearly 80% Caucasian student body of MU.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2021, 05:27:49 PM »
Like 15% of the population is over 60-65. 

We get it, you don't consider Mequon "old", but your numbers are off.  More like 23.5% >65.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/mequoncitywisconsin/PST045219

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2021, 08:30:59 PM »
Marquette's three biggest blunders:

1) Hiring Hank Raymonds -- Great guy and great assistant coach. Started the downward spiral from the Al era. Should have been demoted after the 1978 Miami of Ohio game. Never should have been hired. Period.

2) Pricing Themselves -- Marquette's tuition, even at a discount, has become a turn-off.

3) Hiring Bob Dukiet -- This one speaks for itself!

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2021, 08:37:03 PM »
Marquette's three biggest blunders:

1) Hiring Hank Raymonds -- Great guy and great assistant coach. Started the downward spiral from the Al era. Should have been demoted after the 1978 Miami of Ohio game. Never should have been hired. Period.

2) Pricing Themselves -- Marquette's tuition, even at a discount, has become a turn-off.

3) Hiring Bob Dukiet -- This one speaks for itself!

Every private school, and many publics, have done #2. And they have because the concept by and large works. The execution may not, but it would have been silly to keep the price artificially low. Most schools that have done so, and there are many who have, are those who are struggling or have closed already.