'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking  (Read 42618 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2021, 08:49:57 PM »
I remember the university trying to avoid having to sell but the med school was hemorrhaging red ink. The current day nostalgia/revisionist history on Scoop conveniently ignores that and there seems to be an assumption that the decision was taken lightly. I was there and can assure you that it was not. One of my brothers was in the last class and Linus Pauling, a well known scientist and winner of 2 Nobel prizes, was the commencement speaker at the last graduation. The school was briefly called Marquette School of Medicine Inc. after the sale but at least one politician objected so the Marquette name was removed

I don't remember the Marquette School of Medicine, Inc, but I know for a period it was called "Marquette University/Medical College of Wisconsin." My dad was an alum and was absolutely furious with the change, and I recall him talking (yelling) on the phone to some poor fundraiser.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2021, 08:54:23 PM »
We get it, you don't consider Mequon "old", but your numbers are off.  More like 23.5% >65.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/mequoncitywisconsin/PST045219

Jeez, I was using the 2010 census numbers I believe.  Didn't realize the dozen retirement castles they've seemingly put up on the east side made that big of an impact. Fits with the last 5-10 years of development there...

"restaurants, shopping, entertainment?...NOOOOO  >:( >:( >:("

"bank branches, medical facilities, and retirement communities??  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2021, 08:56:45 PM »
How are you Gooo?  I disagree with you with a caveat.  I think they matter when it comes to the top 20 or so schools.  You know it's talked about constantly in "the elite" circles from the faculty, to the students, and their parents.  If their kid goes to say Johns Hopkins rated 12 in lieu of Princeton  rated 2, or whatever, it seriously bothers these people.  When you get to like I dunno...30 to 100?  40 to 100?   I honestly don't think it means all that much.  It's also literally impossible to compare a large state school with a smallish University.

I'm good Muggsy.

I don't think it matters in a real sense (i.e., giving a true indicator to distinguish the quality of schools in the 30-100 range)...but it still matters in a practical sense because people think it matters. The false perception you mention in a later post....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2021, 09:02:57 PM »
Didn't realize the dozen retirement castles they've seemingly put up on the east side made that big of an impact.

That's super disrespectful of 4ever's pad

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2021, 09:14:34 PM »

I don't remember the Marquette School of Medicine, Inc, but I know for a period it was called "Marquette University/Medical College of Wisconsin." My dad was an alum and was absolutely furious with the change, and I recall him talking (yelling) on the phone to some poor fundraiser.

I remember my brother talking about how the elimination of the Marquette name absolutely killed fund raising. It was an incredibly stupid decision.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2021, 09:18:03 PM »
Every private school, and many publics, have done #2. And they have because the concept by and large works. The execution may not, but it would have been silly to keep the price artificially low. Most schools that have done so, and there are many who have, are those who are struggling or have closed already.

Compared to most private schools in the Northeast (and Porky assumes on the West Coast as well) Marquette is inexpensive and a bargain.  That's why they need to step up their east and west coast recruiting.  Porky agrees MU has at this point largely priced itself out of the constituency it's historically served but for some reason they're doubling down on local first gens.  Not all of those admitted first gen students qualify for substantial aid.  For those that do more power to them but a lot don't even if they're still academically qualified to attend, so maybe if MU had a higher percentage of full pay students, they could provide more meaningful financial help to those lower income students that are academically qualified to be admitted, but not quite as academically strong to qualify for enough aid to attend without incurring substantial debt.   Recruiting students from wealthier families seems to Porky a no brainer, but Porky is hardly an expert in higher education finance so what is it that MU knows that Porky doesn't?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:39:35 PM by PorkysButthole »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2021, 09:25:33 PM »
Compared to most private schools in the Northeast (and I assume on the West Coast as well) Marquette is inexpensive and a bargain.  That's why they need to step up their east and west coast recruiting.  Porky agrees MU has at this point largely priced itself out of the constituency it's historically served but for some reason they're doubling down on local first gens.  Not all of those admitted first gen students qualify for substantial aid.  For those that do more power to them but a lot don't even if they're still academically qualified, so maybe if MU had a higher percentage of full pay students, they could help those lower income students that are academically qualified to be admitted, but not quite as academically strong to qualify for enough aid to attend without incurring substantial debt.   Recruiting students from wealthier families seems to Porky a no brainer, but Porky is hardly an expert in higher education finance so what is it that MU knows that Porky doesn't?
I believe COVID-19 has become an issue where people have decided to stay closer to hone due to all the random problems, but Just an opinion.
Goal is National Championship

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2021, 10:08:02 PM »
I remember my brother talking about how the elimination of the Marquette name absolutely killed fund raising. It was an incredibly stupid decision.

But the school is financially stable now, whereas before it wasn't, fundraising or not.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2021, 05:14:59 AM »

MCW is in a much better financial place now than it was when it had the “Marquette name.”
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:04:28 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GOO

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2021, 08:05:06 AM »
I am assuming that the odds of Marquette starting a medical School at this point or just slightly less than Marquette starting a football team again, which is at zero chance.

If one were going to do it, it is possible if a hospital like Aurora that is not affiliated with a med school was on board and financially involved.  There sure would be no shortage of applicants.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2021, 08:17:48 AM »
I am assuming that the odds of Marquette starting a medical School at this point or just slightly less than Marquette starting a football team again, which is at zero chance.

If one were going to do it, it is possible if a hospital like Aurora that is not affiliated with a med school was on board and financially involved.  There sure would be no shortage of applicants.

The chances of Marquette starting a football team are near zero.  But it is hundreds of times greater than the chances of it re-starting a medical school. 

First, Marquette already has a nice selection of competitive health programs that are a good source of revenue and growth.  Taking away resources to start a medical school when there is a really good one right across town would be wasteful.  Investing and growing the programs they have would be smart.

Second, while there is a doctor shortage in Wisconsin, my understanding is that it doesn't really exist in southern Wisconsin.  Opening up another medical school in Milwaukee doesn't help that.  MCW has opened branch campuses in Wausau and Green Bay in an attempt to address this.  My guess is that UW would be open to doing the same if they felt the demand was there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2021, 10:54:09 AM »
The chances of Marquette starting a football team are near zero.  But it is hundreds of times greater than the chances of it re-starting a medical school. 

First, Marquette already has a nice selection of competitive health programs that are a good source of revenue and growth.  Taking away resources to start a medical school when there is a really good one right across town would be wasteful.  Investing and growing the programs they have would be smart.

Second, while there is a doctor shortage in Wisconsin, my understanding is that it doesn't really exist in southern Wisconsin.  Opening up another medical school in Milwaukee doesn't help that.  MCW has opened branch campuses in Wausau and Green Bay in an attempt to address this.  My guess is that UW would be open to doing the same if they felt the demand was there.

the cost of starting a med school is huge too. And, there are multiple regulatory barriers to starting one. Law schools are easy to start and seen a revenue enhancers. Not the case for med schools. MU needs to really plow money into the Dental School and the PA program.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2021, 06:51:21 AM »

Not quite sure why MU seems indifferent to football given its history. It builds diversity, gives students competitive opportunities in the fall, the cost to entry in the Pioneer League (Butler, Drake, Valpo, St. Thomas) is reasonable, and you don't need scholarships. Valley Fields could host the games.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2021, 07:09:56 AM »
Not quite sure why MU seems indifferent to football given its history. It builds diversity, gives students competitive opportunities in the fall, the cost to entry in the Pioneer League (Butler, Drake, Valpo, St. Thomas) is reasonable, and you don't need scholarships. Valley Fields could host the games.

You need players
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2021, 07:47:55 AM »
You need players

You wouldn’t have any sport without players.  Glad you weren’t at the Lacrosse meetings.

Anyone know how costly football is in the pioneer league on a yearly basis? 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2021, 08:00:12 AM »
You can make a case for a profitable, non-scholarship D1 football program if you make an assumption that 25 of those players, paying on average a net tuition of $20,000, would only come to MU for football.  ($500,000 would easily cover your annual costs.)

But the question is does the MU administration even see this as worth the effort, and my guess is no.  My guess is they don't want to deal with the wear and tear at Valley Fields, and if there is no place else close to campus to play, you probably aren't going to get the "school spirit" benefits.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2021, 08:02:29 AM »
You wouldn’t have any sport without players.  Glad you weren’t at the Lacrosse meetings.

Anyone know how costly football is in the pioneer league on a yearly basis?

Lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports in the country.  That’s a burgeoning market to get into earlier than later.  I don’t know where Marquette draws football players, especially at that level without scholarships.  The WIAC has a lot of high level programs at the D3 level that Marquette would compete with for talent.  If the city of Milwaukee was producing more talent, maybe you could see it
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2021, 08:05:15 AM »
Lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports in the country.  That’s a burgeoning market to get into earlier than later.  I don’t know where Marquette draws football players, especially at that level without scholarships.  The WIAC has a lot of high level programs at the D3 level that Marquette would compete with for talent.  If the city of Milwaukee was producing more talent, maybe you could see it

Yeah and those WIAC schools are going to be a lot more price competitive - and probably way better on the field too.

OTOH, Chicagoland has a ton of football talent.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2021, 08:14:30 AM »
Marquette couldn't even support a club football team when I was there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2021, 08:17:02 AM »

Yeah and those WIAC schools are going to be a lot more price competitive - and probably way better on the field too.

OTOH, Chicagoland has a ton of football talent.

Chicago does and the price disadvantage still works against Marquette.  I’m not opposed to Marquette trying football but I think it’s a colossal waste but it’s not my money

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2021, 10:46:53 AM »
Marquette couldn't even support a club football team when I was there.

"Let's get permanent injuries just for fun!"

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2021, 12:08:22 PM »

Fair enough.  I wonder if we had simply gone D3 to begin with in 1969 whether that would have been the right move instead of disbanding the program altogether.  At that time we would have had a player pipeline and probably would have been able to solve the “small stadium closer to campus” problem as well.  Lots of cheap land around campus 30-40 years ago.  Oh well.

Thanks for your answer as well fluff. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2021, 12:23:23 PM »
Fair enough.  I wonder if we had simply gone D3 to begin with in 1969 whether that would have been the right move instead of disbanding the program altogether.  At that time we would have had a player pipeline and probably would have been able to solve the “small stadium closer to campus” problem as well.  Lots of cheap land around campus 30-40 years ago.  Oh well.

Thanks for your answer as well fluff.
Except that divisions 2 & 3 didn't exist
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2021, 12:25:24 PM »

What about NAIA?
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2021, 12:34:50 PM »
I wonder if we had simply gone D3 to begin with in 1969 whether that would have been the right move instead of disbanding the program altogether.
What about NAIA?

Just to clarify, do you think people would be OK with having a D2, D3, or NAIA basketball team just so that we could have kept football? Because I think that would suck.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.