[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 326862 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #2075 on: May 03, 2023, 07:42:47 AM »
I would have agreed but explain their supposed interest in Rice and Tulane?

I've heard the SMU/Rice and even Tulane chatter before.  The Texas schools seem like a no-brainer, but it took me a second to think through Tulane.  However, it does make a lot of sense.

• Recruiting in Texas and Louisiana to compete with the SEC and Big XII who already have a presence there.
  • Academic reputation.  This does still matter a bit to the PAC12.
  • Presence in 3 time zones.
  • In Tulane's case, they're at least a little bit of a rising athletic program.

SDSU is a slam dunk and is going to happen.  I still think Fresno and ONE of the Nevada schools makes a lot of sense.  Boise has had success but is too small to offer much.  Then it's schools in the "near" west, of which Rice or SMU and Tulane actually check a lot of boxes.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2076 on: May 03, 2023, 08:19:44 AM »
The fact that the P12 is entertaining Rice/SMU/Tulane is truly shocking for a P5 conference.

Like the P12, I don't know of much better options. But it speaks to how bad things have gotten for the P12.

And it appears to possibly getting worse. There is chatter of unequal distributions of revenue because the "new" schools don't move the needle at all for TV. This is an absolute receipt of failure; the animosity will be palpable in the conference from not only the "lesser" schools to the "greater" schools but also the "greater"  towards the "lesser" schools when Tulane or Rice or SDSU are not performing well. Is there any doubt we'll be hearing ASU and Oregon fans complain about the dead weight at the bottom of their conference? The B12 tried this with Texas and it was a complete disaster.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2077 on: May 03, 2023, 08:37:41 AM »
The fact that the P12 is entertaining Rice/SMU/Tulane is truly shocking for a P5 conference.

Like the P12, I don't know of much better options. But it speaks to how bad things have gotten for the P12.

And it appears to possibly getting worse. There is chatter of unequal distributions of revenue because the "new" schools don't move the needle at all for TV. This is an absolute receipt of failure; the animosity will be palpable in the conference from not only the "lesser" schools to the "greater" schools but also the "greater"  towards the "lesser" schools when Tulane or Rice or SDSU are not performing well. Is there any doubt we'll be hearing ASU and Oregon fans complain about the dead weight at the bottom of their conference? The B12 tried this with Texas and it was a complete disaster.

Yep. In addition to the scenario you listed, what happens when previously "lesser/greater" schools becomes stronger or weaker?  Do the conference members agree to reapportion the money?  ;D

Notre Dame has been one of the rare exceptions to a school raking in the Big Bucks because they were able to stay independent for so long. Teams like DePaul collect money despite doing nothing other than serving as sparring partners for the rest of the BE. It's just the way it is.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2078 on: May 03, 2023, 08:50:15 AM »
Yep. In addition to the scenario you listed, what happens when previously "lesser/greater" schools becomes stronger or weaker?  Do the conference members agree to reapportion the money?  ;D

Notre Dame has been one of the rare exceptions to a school raking in the Big Bucks because they were able to stay independent for so long. Teams like DePaul collect money despite doing nothing other than serving as sparring partners for the rest of the BE. It's just the way it is.

Simple.  The greater schools start talking to the other conferences and bail.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2079 on: May 03, 2023, 09:12:19 AM »
Simple.  The greater schools start talking to the other conferences and bail.

True, which is just what Texas did. That's always an option available to the biggest names, but the remaining schools may not have that option and their dominance within a conference may fluctuate over the years. Unless the "Power 5" starts taking bball only members, the BE should be free from this. UCONN still has delusions about their FB prospects, so there's that. Hurley wasted no time with pretty much claiming the BE as UCONN's very own conference and MSG as Gampel South.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2080 on: May 15, 2023, 02:01:33 PM »
https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/15/college-football-expansion-whats-next-power-5-conferences

I am going to be so freaking happy when BC, Pitt, and Cuse get left out in the cold by the big football schools and have to crawl to the American with their tails between their legs... I just hope the Big East doesn't allow any of them back.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2081 on: May 15, 2023, 02:35:11 PM »
https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/15/college-football-expansion-whats-next-power-5-conferences

I am going to be so freaking happy when BC, Pitt, and Cuse get left out in the cold by the big football schools and have to crawl to the American with their tails between their legs... I just hope the Big East doesn't allow any of them back.

If Syracuse, Pitt and/or BC want to come back on a UConn-type arrangement, and media partners show them the $$$, you take them in a heartbeat.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2082 on: May 15, 2023, 02:36:39 PM »
Is it just me or do Colorado and Arizona's presidents sound like they are saying everything possible so as not to be liable for a crappy Pac12 TV deal that will in turn cause them to go to the Big XII? "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2083 on: May 15, 2023, 02:39:01 PM »
If Syracuse, Pitt and/or BC want to come back on a UConn-type arrangement, and media partners show them the $$$, you take them in a heartbeat.
Even BC? I know they were dominant in the old Big East, so maybe.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2084 on: May 15, 2023, 02:43:51 PM »

What confidence should the Big East have that any of those schools are going to be any good at basketball in the future? Boeheim is gone. BC no longer cares about sports. And Pitt is just meh all around. Why dilute the product with them? And I doubt any of them would move the needle with network executives.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2085 on: May 15, 2023, 02:57:59 PM »
What confidence should the Big East have that any of those schools are going to be any good at basketball in the future? Boeheim is gone. BC no longer cares about sports. And Pitt is just meh all around. Why dilute the product with them? And I doubt any of them would move the needle with network executives.
I totally follow your logic, but I think Pitt and Cuse could/would be strong partners. I'd even put up with their painful fans. BC does nothing for me and BC's 2 fans are not worth it either.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2086 on: May 15, 2023, 03:04:41 PM »

Some amalgamated league will form when the music stops and certain schools are left behind
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #2087 on: May 15, 2023, 03:04:52 PM »
Quote from: El Guerrero 2 link=topic=62146.msg1551327#msg1551327 date=

The BC/Villanova and Georgetown/Syracuse games had higher ratings than any Big East regular season game save the Christmas Day DePaul/Creighton matchup.

Matchups between legacy Big East teams are rating winners, seemingly regardless of the quality of team. If you want more exposure and higher ratings, you can't ignore the former Big East teams.  Here are the highest rated games including the Christmas Day outlier and the next 10 most watched:

Audience      Day      Date      Game      Notes      Notes   
   2991      Sunday      25-Dec      Creighton/Depaul      FOX         
   1158      Tuesday      22-Nov      Creighton/Arkansas      ESPN      Maui   
   1104      Wednesday      23-Nov      Creighton/Arizona      ESPN      Maui   
   1092      Saturday      28-Jan      Xavier/Creighton      CBS         
   1000      Friday      25-Nov      Xavier/Duke      ESPN      PK Legacy   
   998      Saturday      10-Dec      Villanova/Boston College      FOX         
   937      Satudray      10-Dec      Georgetown/Syracuse      ABC         
   913      Saturday      25-Feb      Uconn/St. Johns      CBS         
   901      Saturday      11-Feb      Uconn/Creighton      FOX         
   873      Saturday      7-Jan      Creighton/Uconn      FOX         
   815      Saturday      17-Dec      Providence/Seton Hall      FOX         
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 03:19:55 PM by The Equalizer »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2088 on: May 15, 2023, 03:12:33 PM »

Without a doubt.

• All American
« Reply #2089 on: May 15, 2023, 03:22:16 PM »

You might be right about media executives, but that’s why I said “if.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #2090 on: May 15, 2023, 07:50:09 PM »
It's much more likely that UConn is poached again than BC/Pitt/Cuse return to the Big East.

The endless pursuit of the almighty football dollar is just a moth to a flame. 

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #2091 on: May 15, 2023, 07:54:11 PM »

DePaul - the Washington Generals of the Big East.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2092 on: May 15, 2023, 08:24:24 PM »
It's much more likely that UConn is poached again than BC/Pitt/Cuse return to the Big East.

The endless pursuit of the almighty football dollar is just a moth to a flame.

If UConn picks football over basketball again it’ll go down as one of the most asinine moves in college sports history. We’ve run this experiment before. Literally just look at Syracuse and Pitt; do you want to be them in a decade? Have some self awareness.

I also suspect college football is near its apex in terms of popularity and will start a very slow decline in influence over the next 25 years. Fewer kids playing organized football is going to lead to less interest in the long run. Basketball will never catch up but football will fall back. Heck, in 25 years the gaming team might be the biggest revenue generator.

• All American
« Reply #2093 on: May 15, 2023, 08:32:10 PM »
I also suspect college football is near its apex in terms of popularity and will start a very slow decline in influence over the next 25 years. Fewer kids playing organized football is going to lead to less interest in the long run. Basketball will never catch up but football will fall back. Heck, in 25 years the gaming team might be the biggest revenue generator.

People have been saying football has been near its peak for decades. And I have yet to see any indication that’s accurate.

And people don’t have to play a sport to want to watch a sport.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2094 on: May 15, 2023, 08:55:59 PM »

People have been saying football has been near its peak for decades. And I have yet to see any indication that’s accurate.

And people don’t have to play a sport to want to watch a sport.
I have to agree. Football is perfect for gambling (fantasy) and that has fueled it growth. As popular as the NFL is, some teams some years have difficulties selling out so the bottom line is not growing from fan interest. Maybe somebody actually knows but I feel like 50% of viewers are not fans of either team.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #2095 on: May 15, 2023, 11:17:05 PM »
I've heard the SMU/Rice and even Tulane chatter before.  The Texas schools seem like a no-brainer, but it took me a second to think through Tulane.  However, it does make a lot of sense.

• Recruiting in Texas and Louisiana to compete with the SEC and Big XII who already have a presence there.
  • Academic reputation.  This does still matter a bit to the PAC12.
  • Presence in 3 time zones.
  • In Tulane's case, they're at least a little bit of a rising athletic program.

SDSU is a slam dunk and is going to happen.  I still think Fresno and ONE of the Nevada schools makes a lot of sense.  Boise has had success but is too small to offer much.  Then it's schools in the "near" west, of which Rice or SMU and Tulane actually check a lot of boxes.

I assume New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado State, Utah State aren’t at the top of their list? As the other big state schools which geographically make sense but offer Ned to nothing in terms of athletic prowess or TV markets
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 11:31:13 PM by Otule's Glass Eye »

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #2096 on: May 15, 2023, 11:18:35 PM »
I totally follow your logic, but I think Pitt and Cuse could/would be strong partners. I'd even put up with their painful fans. BC does nothing for me and BC's 2 fans are not worth it either.

Syracuse is at least a legendary basketball brand and I’d welcome them back. The other 2 not so much.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #2097 on: May 15, 2023, 11:27:57 PM »
Regarding Big East, I’ve long assumed that if they stuck to the plan of not adding football schools that VCU and Saint Louis make the most sense? Maybe Davidson? Others that are decent bball schools that geographically make sense are Dayton and Drake. However Dayton would share the Cincy market with Xavier so that might be a deal breaker of them ever being added but they are a good competitive bball school. Drake probably too small of a media market (Des Moines) to add.

A sneaky school who could gain traction if they continue their hot start at the D1 level is Saint Thomas (Minneapolis/Saint Paul market)

Not sure who else? Oral Roberts (Tulsa, OK)? Fordham (NYC)? Of course if they choose to not factor in geography that opens up a ton more possibilities. Saint Mary’s? San Francisco?

The impending ACC blowup might be biggest factor of who is added to the BE so maybe they sit tight until that happens?

Probably will add 1 school for short term when the time comes but 2 if UConn leaves. Not sure if their plan would be to get to 12 or eventually 14 or 16 teams.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 11:46:25 PM by Otule's Glass Eye »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2098 on: May 15, 2023, 11:32:06 PM »
Meanwhile in the ACC....

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1658174167789756433?t=skhQVqDK8hHu_dQL1-eyGg&s=19

Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia & Virginia Tech are “The Magnificent 7” ACC schools, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. These schools, @RossDellenger reported, have met in past several months, w/lawyers examining grant-of-rights to determine just how unbreakable it is. ACC deal runs thru 2036

I don't see the GoR lasting until 2036
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #2099 on: May 15, 2023, 11:35:55 PM »
Meanwhile in the ACC....

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1658174167789756433?t=skhQVqDK8hHu_dQL1-eyGg&s=19

Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia & Virginia Tech are “The Magnificent 7” ACC schools, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. These schools, @RossDellenger reported, have met in past several months, w/lawyers examining grant-of-rights to determine just how unbreakable it is. ACC deal runs thru 2036

I don't see the GoR lasting until 2036

Give me Duke to the Big East