[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs  (Read 181870 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs
« Reply #2400 on: May 15, 2022, 09:17:48 PM »
4 for 31 is a problem but they can find the right pieces with Giannis, Middleton, and Holiday.

It's a larger issue come playoff time. They were passable enough on that end last year, but not the other three postseasons under Bud.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2401 on: May 15, 2022, 09:20:29 PM »
It's a larger issue come playoff time. They were passable enough on that end last year, but not the other three postseasons under Bud.

I'm not a Budenholzer fan but realistically could they get a tier 1 coach?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2402 on: May 15, 2022, 09:30:03 PM »
When’s the Suns game start?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2403 on: May 15, 2022, 10:07:00 PM »
“A lot of people said it was gonna be a blowout … and it was.”

- Jason Kidd

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2404 on: May 15, 2022, 10:11:50 PM »
I'm really impressed that the C's found a way to win without Hauser. It ain't easy being shorthanded.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2405 on: May 15, 2022, 11:43:42 PM »
Those that have said that Bird wasn't athletic enough to play in today's game. Doncic say hi.

In my opinion, Doncic is what a modern Bird would look like playing. Except Bird was 2 inches taller, and more athletic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2406 on: May 15, 2022, 11:50:48 PM »
Those that have said that Bird wasn't athletic enough to play in today's game. Doncic say hi.

In my opinion, Doncic is what a modern Bird would look like playing. Except Bird was 2 inches taller, and more athletic.

Only a dope would say that Bird wouldn't have been a superstar in today's NBA. He'd average 12-15 a game on 3s alone -- he only took an average of 2 per game back then; he'd take 4x that many now -- and the rest of his offensive game was superlative. One of the great passers ever, and a double-digit rebounder. And while he wasn't a great man-to-man defender, he was a very good help defender with tremendous anticipation for the ball, and he willingly mixed it up at that end of the court.

Not sure about Bird being more athletic than Doncic. They were/are both pretty good athletes who knew/know how to position themselves for success on the court.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2407 on: May 16, 2022, 12:14:40 AM »
Only a dope would say that Bird wouldn't have been a superstar in today's NBA. He'd average 12-15 a game on 3s alone -- he only took an average of 2 per game back then; he'd take 4x that many now -- and the rest of his offensive game was superlative. One of the great passers ever, and a double-digit rebounder. And while he wasn't a great man-to-man defender, he was a very good help defender with tremendous anticipation for the ball, and he willingly mixed it up at that end of the court.

Not sure about Bird being more athletic than Doncic. They were/are both pretty good athletes who knew/know how to position themselves for success on the court.

On 2nd thought. I agree with this. Both are similar in being good athletes, and crafty with footwork and technique.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2408 on: May 16, 2022, 06:57:26 AM »
On 2nd thought. I agree with this. Both are similar in being good athletes, and crafty with footwork and technique.

Doncic is uncanny at getting to the spot he wants to get to; Bird was very similar in that respect.

In other news ...

Steph Curry re-enrolled at Davidson during the spring semester and graduated on Sunday with a B.A. in sociology. Not sure what kind of career he expects to have with a degree like that!

Davidson has a policy against retiring numbers of athletes who didn't graduate, so his #30 now can be retired. There undoubtedly will be a big ceremony at a game next season to do it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2409 on: May 16, 2022, 07:13:56 AM »
Herd he's goin' inta sports journalism. Bedda hours and pay dan da Association, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2410 on: May 16, 2022, 07:16:17 AM »

No one said Bird "wasn't athletic enough to play in today's game."

And really I don't think their games are all that similar. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:18:05 AM by Clarissa »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2411 on: May 16, 2022, 07:24:10 AM »
Herd he's goin' inta sports journalism. Bedda hours and pay dan da Association, hey?

Yep, if you're Tom Brady.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2412 on: May 16, 2022, 08:52:34 AM »
Interesting little sidebar on the Suns, from The Athletic:

Remember that Luka Doncic, who scored 35 ruthless points in 30 minutes of play, was drafted two spots behind Deandre Ayton, whom the Suns picked No. 1 overall, despite having Doncic’s Slovenian national coach, Igor Kokoškov, as their head coach at the time.

Ayton has been an above-average NBA player on really good teams the last two seasons. But he played just 17 minutes Sunday — zero in the fourth quarter. Asked about it after the game, Suns coach Monty Williams said the reasoning was “internal.” Yikes.

Ayton needs a new contract, and judging by the aftermath Sunday, it’s unclear if the Suns will give him one.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2413 on: May 16, 2022, 12:27:08 PM »
Patrick Beverly's appearances on ESPN this morning are must watch clips.  He makes a bunch of good points, but also just SAVAGES Chris Paul repeatedly.  Its absolutely incredible television

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2414 on: May 16, 2022, 12:33:25 PM »

Chris Mannix said the same about Luka this morning. "Bird with a better handle." That fadeaway he used in the lane is very Dirk-like too. He's easily top five in the league right now, maybe top three with Giannis and Jokic.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2415 on: May 16, 2022, 03:59:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/eric_nehm/status/1526278390155825152?cxt=HHwWgMC-mf-Gt64qAAAA

Sounds like Wes wants to give it another go.  Thought he'd be done after this year, but I see no reasons why the Bucks wouldn't want him back, and I wouldn't blame him at all for going ring chasing.  Get it done.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #2416 on: May 16, 2022, 05:24:41 PM »
Patrick Beverly's appearances on ESPN this morning are must watch clips.  He makes a bunch of good points, but also just SAVAGES Chris Paul repeatedly.  Its absolutely incredible television

I guess I'll survive w/o watching this. Man am I tired of hearing about Chris Paul.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2417 on: May 16, 2022, 07:33:55 PM »
Bird is well before my time but he seemed to create much less off the dribble than Doncic both as a scorer and  passer.  He was a 3/4, Doncic is a 1/2.. I will say that Doncic's ability to get to any spot he wants is really impressive.  I think he's much stronger than people realize.  In this era his overall offensive skillset is maybe the most complete of anyone in the league and he's 6'8. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2418 on: May 16, 2022, 07:49:52 PM »
Bird is well before my time but he seemed to create much less off the dribble than Doncic both as a scorer and  passer.  He was a 3/4, Doncic is a 1/2.. I will say that Doncic's ability to get to any spot he wants is really impressive.  I think he's much stronger than people realize.  In this era his overall offensive skillset is maybe the most complete of anyone in the league and he's 6'8. 

Bird could create off the dribble no doubt, but was much more apt to take it to the hole like a traditional wing.  Doncic isn't really that. Doncic is way more ball dominant, whereas Bird moved a lot without the ball.   

I think Bird's game is mix of Kevin Durant and Paul George.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2419 on: May 16, 2022, 07:57:25 PM »
You're write Fluffster. Sue Bird iz a hellofa playa, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2420 on: May 16, 2022, 07:58:08 PM »

Bird could create off the dribble no doubt, but was much more apt to take it to the hole like a traditional wing.  Doncic isn't really that. Doncic is way more ball dominant, whereas Bird moved a lot without the ball.   

I think Bird's game is mix of Kevin Durant and Paul George.

That's fair.

Bird also had McHale, Parish and DJ (among others) as teammates, so there was every reason to share the ball. If he were playing today, I think he'd be somewhat more ball-dominant, because that's the way the game is played. He'd also average way more 3s than he took (career average - 1.9 attempts per game).

There definitely are former players who were stars once upon a time but whose games wouldn't work very well now. A guy I just mentioned, Parish, is probably one. But Bird would have been a superstar today.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2421 on: May 16, 2022, 08:27:44 PM »
McHale and Parish didn't handle the ball.  No 7 footers did.   Conversely, nobody posts up any more.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2422 on: May 16, 2022, 08:50:31 PM »
That's fair.

Bird also had McHale, Parish and DJ (among others) as teammates, so there was every reason to share the ball. If he were playing today, I think he'd be somewhat more ball-dominant, because that's the way the game is played. He'd also average way more 3s than he took (career average - 1.9 attempts per game).

There definitely are former players who were stars once upon a time but whose games wouldn't work very well now. A guy I just mentioned, Parish, is probably one. But Bird would have been a superstar today.

Agreed. Bird was an amazing passer with great vision. But the game was different, and his role fit the era. In today's game he'd be way more ball-dominant.

Some of his former teammates have also said that Doncic is modern day Bird. I think Bird's game translates very well to the current game, where he'd be a point-forward.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2423 on: May 16, 2022, 09:42:59 PM »
Agreed. Bird was an amazing passer with great vision. But the game was different, and his role fit the era. In today's game he'd be way more ball-dominant.

Some of his former teammates have also said that Doncic is modern day Bird. I think Bird's game translates very well to the current game, where he'd be a point-forward.

I have very little doubt Bird would be a prime time player today and sort of be a combination of Durant and Jokic.  He would have taken more threes and been more ball dominant.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2424 on: May 17, 2022, 07:14:47 AM »
The same Patrick Beverly who lost a round earlier in the playoffs, and who last year got smoked in the playoffs by Paul, and resorted to shoving him in the back. Beverly's a middling role player who is doing his job on the air now I guess, being a prick.

feedback