[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs  (Read 181712 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs
« Reply #1875 on: May 02, 2022, 12:13:22 PM »
Green has some of Rodman's defensive qualities, but he's not the entire package.  Rodman is maybe the only player I have ever seen that could guard all five positions well.  He had incredible lateral quickness, upper and lower body strength, anticipation. transition speed, and kangaroo hops.  Green is nowhere near the help defender or transition defender Rodman was or of course rebounder.  He also really never had to play against quality post players.  The tape doesn't lie, Rodman was a an absolute freak and generational talent.  Had the guy applied himself he would have been far better offensively as well

This part of the discussion had nothing to do with defending every position. You said Green couldn't possibly defend a dominant big. I happen to think he has shown he can, and in fact he did well when matched up against the reigning NBA MVP in the previous round.

But sure, defending all 5 positions ... Green has shown he can do that, too.

I nonetheless would rate Rodman a rung higher because I believe he was a little more athletic and, of course, the greatest pound-for-pound rebounder ever. And as we saw from watching Marquette this past season, your defensive possession isn't over until you get the rebound.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 01:03:02 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1876 on: May 02, 2022, 12:59:07 PM »
This part of the discussion started had nothing to do with defending every position. You said Green couldn't possibly defend a dominant big. I happen to think he has shown he can, and in fact he did well when matched up against the reigning NBA MVP in the previous round.

But sure, defending all 5 positions ... Green has shown he can do that, too.

I nonetheless would rate Rodman a rung higher because I believe he was a little more athletic and, of course, the greatest pound-for-pound rebounder ever. And as we saw from watching Marquette this past season, your defensive possession isn't over until you get the rebound.

Green will be a HoF'er. He should definitely be in the same 'wing' as Rodman.

And not only can he defend every position, he can and has played every position on offense.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1877 on: May 02, 2022, 01:09:49 PM »
Rodman was a better offensive player than his reputation too. He was a double digit scorer his second year in the league and the next year lead the NBA in EFG.

He just didn’t have to score much on those Bills teams.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1878 on: May 02, 2022, 01:28:05 PM »
Rodman was a better offensive player than his reputation too. He was a double digit scorer his second year in the league and the next year lead the NBA in EFG.

He just didn’t have to score much on those Bills teams.

Josh Allen to Stephon Diggs took care of the scoring.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1879 on: May 02, 2022, 02:00:28 PM »
I'm not sure if this is teal, but Ben Wallace was 6'9 and Draymond is 6'6.  Thats not insignificant.  Not to mention a weight difference.

The Rodman/Green comparison I do agree with.
Ben Wallace was listed at 6'9.   Ben Wallace is not 6'9.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1880 on: May 02, 2022, 02:09:39 PM »

Jackson said Rodman knew and executed the triangle offense better than anybody else on the team. He was a great screen-setter and offensive rebounder.

It was fun having him on those Bulls teams; his personality was a great counter to the personalities of Jordan, Pippen and Jackson.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1881 on: May 02, 2022, 02:10:39 PM »
Ben Wallace was listed at 6'9.   Ben Wallace is not 6'9.

6’9 with the Afro.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1882 on: May 02, 2022, 04:19:58 PM »
Watch it in slow motion. It is actually a pretty absurd travel, but more difficult to see in real time. He picks up his dribble with his weight actually on his left foot. He then steps onto his right to square up. In the NBA, they let you get away with this two steps being establishing the pivot foot (so being generous the right foot).

The NBA gather rule.  Glad you are familiar with it.  By rule, a player is allowed to do exactly what Giannis did.  In this case, the right foot is correctly considered the pivot foot.  No travel so far.

Watch it in slow motion. It is actually a pretty absurd travel, but more difficult to see in real time. He picks up his dribble with his weight actually on his left foot. He then steps onto his right to square up. In the NBA, they let you get away with this two steps being establishing the pivot foot (so being generous the right foot).

He then lifts his right foot to push it back a few inches to gain leverage. Even with the generous NBA rules, he now has to shoot or pass.

He now steps through with his left, and lifts his right foot again.

That's a lot of steps.

Like I said, this is typical NBA type moves in the modern era (and there are far more egregious non-calls on travels), but it is actually 4 or 5 steps. In the end it doesn't matter too, it wasn't called and the game was never in doubt.

After reviewing the slow motion replay, I see one spot where Giannis might move his pivot foot.

The gather to establish his pivot foot as his right foot was perfectly legal.

The step through move was legal if the pivot foot doesn't move beforehand.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1883 on: May 02, 2022, 06:25:42 PM »
The NBA gather rule.  Glad you are familiar with it.  By rule, a player is allowed to do exactly what Giannis did.  In this case, the right foot is correctly considered the pivot foot.  No travel so far.

After reviewing the slow motion replay, I see one spot where Giannis might move his pivot foot.

The gather to establish his pivot foot as his right foot was perfectly legal.

The step through move was legal if the pivot foot doesn't move beforehand.

Agreed on all of the above. And the pivot foot does move before his step through. He had to move it to get leverage to make the step through.

Most of my commentary on this is in regards to comparing players from different era. In those other eras, even the NBA gather was a travel.

The reason it matters is you have to play slower and under more control with more stringent rules on establishing a pivot foot. Similarly on the one's first step. Players are given great leeway on when they need to dribble while moving (1st step or catching a pass while moving). Older players there was no leeway. What all that does is make players who are just as athletic, look less athletic, because they need to play under control all the time to avoid taking extra steps.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1884 on: May 02, 2022, 06:31:08 PM »
Green will be a HoF'er. He should definitely be in the same 'wing' as Rodman.

And not only can he defend every position, he can and has played every position on offense.

I think what's scary is Golden State played better when he was ejected.  I said this early vs Denver.......if Poole is the real deal they're literally impossible to guard.  As far as I can tell the kid is no joke.   He's an elite scorer, not just a shooter.   The bottom line is Wiggins is their 4th best offensive player.  it may very well be that the rest of the teams have no chance.  It would be super interesting if the Bucks somehow find a way to match-up with them in the Finals. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1885 on: May 02, 2022, 07:45:02 PM »
Does Duncan Robinson no longer get mins for Miami?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1886 on: May 02, 2022, 08:32:26 PM »
This is a sweep if Embiid can't come back.  Harden looks past his prime to me.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1887 on: May 02, 2022, 09:52:07 PM »
Deliberate kick to the nuts. Again only an F1.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1888 on: May 02, 2022, 09:59:52 PM »
Deliberate kick to the nuts. Again only an F1.

Ya....I love Jae but I guess I don't understand the rules.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1889 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:36 PM »
In the Philly/Miami game combined they shot 15/70 from distance.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1890 on: May 02, 2022, 10:49:46 PM »
Marquette alums are about to have 1-0 series lead in every series.

Would be great if the final 4 can have a guaranteed MU ring.

Doc or Jimmy have to advance in the 1 series obviously.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1891 on: May 02, 2022, 11:02:06 PM »
Marquette alums are about to have 1-0 series lead in every series.

Would be great if the final 4 can have a guaranteed MU ring.

Doc or Jimmy have to advance in the 1 series obviously.

That would be cool. Juan has become a bit player again for GS now, though.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1892 on: May 02, 2022, 11:05:36 PM »

Not his fault!  Even you couldn't find time on that roster in your prime.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1893 on: May 02, 2022, 11:19:03 PM »
Not his fault!  Even you couldn't find time on that roster in your prime.

Ha. My basketball "highlight" is that I never lost a 1-on-1 game to my son. Of course, I stopped playing him on his 11th birthday.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1894 on: May 02, 2022, 11:31:06 PM »
Ha. My basketball "highlight" is that I never lost a 1-on-1 game to my son. Of course, I stopped playing him on his 11th birthday.

These guys can ball. The only way I could hold my own is if I was a foot taller.  I've always been a proponent of a 5'8 and under league.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1895 on: May 03, 2022, 07:47:06 AM »
These guys can ball. The only way I could hold my own is if I was a foot taller.  I've always been a proponent of a 5'8 and under league.

They have those. They're called 4th-grade travel teams!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1896 on: May 03, 2022, 10:06:38 AM »

Its part of what makes Kerr a very good coach.  He's flexible with his rotations and knows what needs to change depending on the series.  Curry coming off the bench for his limited end of quarter runs has had them playing smaller for longer stretches.

Its not just Juan.  Kuminga played close to 20 min a game during the season, he's had a pair of DNPs and under 8 min a game for the remainder.  Damion Lee got even more minutes during the season, 20 a game, and he's playing as few as Juan now.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1897 on: May 03, 2022, 10:26:03 AM »
They have those. They're called 4th-grade travel teams!

I've said it before and will say it again:  We will never truly be free until the persecution of diminutive people is eliminated.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1898 on: May 03, 2022, 11:11:03 AM »
Its part of what makes Kerr a very good coach.  He's flexible with his rotations and knows what needs to change depending on the series.  Curry coming off the bench for his limited end of quarter runs has had them playing smaller for longer stretches.

Its not just Juan.  Kuminga played close to 20 min a game during the season, he's had a pair of DNPs and under 8 min a game for the remainder.  Damion Lee got even more minutes during the season, 20 a game, and he's playing as few as Juan now.

Good points. Kerr's a hell of a coach, on a trajectory to be an all-timer.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1899 on: May 03, 2022, 04:34:56 PM »
Marcus Smart out tonight.

feedback