collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs  (Read 181457 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs
« Reply #350 on: October 22, 2021, 11:30:26 PM »
Hard to make a judgement after 2 games.  Although it's interesting that Kuzma dropped 25 for the Wizatds going 5-8 from from downtown.  :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #351 on: October 23, 2021, 05:42:36 AM »
But I was told the Bucks only won the title because AD got hurt  otherwise the Lakers would’ve rolled the Suns and LBJ would’ve got ring 5.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #352 on: October 24, 2021, 12:03:47 AM »
Before the 2019 draft I stated that I'm not so sure I would take Williamson before Morant.  I'm starting to think I may have been right on that call.  He's the real deal.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #353 on: October 24, 2021, 06:44:31 AM »
Before the 2019 draft I stated that I'm not so sure I would take Williamson before Morant.  I'm starting to think I may have been right on that call.  He's the real deal.

I always thought Morant was the pick because as electric as Zion is, I didn't believe his knees could hold up over a career.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #354 on: October 24, 2021, 10:11:23 PM »
Uhhh.... Ja Morant is absolutely electric.  He's like a 6'4 Iverson.  Ridiculous athlete and getting better from the perimeter. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #355 on: October 25, 2021, 11:53:32 AM »
Uhhh.... Ja Morant is absolutely electric.  He's like a 6'4 Iverson.  Ridiculous athlete and getting better from the perimeter.

Ja Morant is fantastic, which is why I would've taken him over Zion. But I don't think anyone was more electric coming out than Zion in my lifetime. Part of that was social media, but part of it was simply no one his size has ever been able to do what he did the way he did it. Morant had great potential, but Zion was a unicorn.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #356 on: October 25, 2021, 12:14:19 PM »
Ja Morant is fantastic, which is why I would've taken him over Zion. But I don't think anyone was more electric coming out than Zion in my lifetime. Part of that was social media, but part of it was simply no one his size has ever been able to do what he did the way he did it. Morant had great potential, but Zion was a unicorn.

I agree with you Brew but Morant, because of his position, has the ball in his hands more.  He's skinnier than Wade but similarly has ridiculous blow by ability  North. South, East, and West.  That's why I see him sort of like a bigger Iverson.  He's also an excellent passer and we all know about his ability to elevate.  The bottom line is the kid is special despite people like Doncic and Trey Young getting way more attention.  He also has the potential to be an excellent defender unlike some of the other young guns.  If he gets a little heavier/stronger, and a consistent J, look the hell out.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #357 on: October 25, 2021, 07:07:14 PM »
From the Charlotte Observer after the Hornets crushed the Nets in Brooklyn in the 4th quarter to win going away ...

Ish Smith — not LaMelo Ball — was on the floor for most of the fourth quarter during the Hornets’ 111-95 victory over the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday. Why?

“Melo damn near told Coach,” Miles Bridges said, “he told Coach, he was like, ‘Leave him in the game.’”

Smith was playing a fantastic game, and Ball recognized that.

“Melo, I’ve got to give Melo a ton of credit,” Hornets coach James Borrego said. “He wanted us … He said, ‘Just ride out Ish. Ish is hot, Ish is rolling. I trust it. Let’s go.’ And that’s just maturity on his part.”

How many 20-year-olds with that kind of skill would say such a thing?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #358 on: October 25, 2021, 07:12:30 PM »
Ish Smith was one of my favorite stories a few years ago.   Journeyman defined.    Love it when they find a groove. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #359 on: October 25, 2021, 07:22:34 PM »
From the Charlotte Observer after the Hornets crushed the Nets in Brooklyn in the 4th quarter to win going away ...

Ish Smith — not LaMelo Ball — was on the floor for most of the fourth quarter during the Hornets’ 111-95 victory over the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday. Why?

“Melo damn near told Coach,” Miles Bridges said, “he told Coach, he was like, ‘Leave him in the game.’”

Smith was playing a fantastic game, and Ball recognized that.

“Melo, I’ve got to give Melo a ton of credit,” Hornets coach James Borrego said. “He wanted us … He said, ‘Just ride out Ish. Ish is hot, Ish is rolling. I trust it. Let’s go.’ And that’s just maturity on his part.”

How many 20-year-olds with that kind of skill would say such a thing?

I haven't gotten a chance to watch LeMelo Ball much but the few times I did I was thoroughly impressed.   Excellent court vision and obviously great size for a PG.  That Charlotte team could make some noise this year. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #360 on: October 25, 2021, 07:25:26 PM »
I haven't gotten a chance to watch LeMelo Ball much but the few times I did I was thoroughly impressed.   Excellent court vision and obviously great size for a PG.  That Charlotte team could make some noise this year.

A lot of good young players, two nice veterans in Hayward and Rozier. Probably a year or two away, but if they stay healthy I agree. They were #4 in the East, ahead of the Hawks, more than 3/4 of the way through last season before they lost Hayward and Ball.

And yes, LaMelo is a hell of an offensive player already, and he'll only get better.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #361 on: October 25, 2021, 07:30:00 PM »
Ish Smith was a bettors dream (or nightmare) in his Sixers/Thunder/Pels years. Most second units could be a bit disjointed.  Dude would come in and be a certified bucket getter, especially late in games.  Dude was never a star but always instant offense

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #362 on: October 25, 2021, 07:35:43 PM »
Does anyone know who invented the finger-roll?  Connie Hawkins?   It's effective if you're undersized.  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #363 on: October 25, 2021, 07:36:59 PM »
The internet says Wilt....very surprised.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #364 on: October 25, 2021, 08:43:25 PM »

The reason was very simple, though.

The lane was only 12 feet wide rather than the current 16. So it was the most effective shot for him - other than dunking.  As a matter of fact, the NBA changed the width to 16' solely to try to contain Wilt's scoring.  They had widened the lane to 12' years earlier in an attempt to contain George Mikan.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #365 on: October 25, 2021, 08:51:10 PM »
The reason was very simple, though.

The lane was only 12 feet wide rather than the current 16. So it was the most effective shot for him - other than dunking.  As a matter of fact, the NBA changed the width to 16' solely to try to contain Wilt's scoring.  They had widened the lane to 12' years earlier in an attempt to contain George Mikan.

Interesting tidbit.   Ty.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #366 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:22 PM »
Does anyone know who invented the finger-roll?  Connie Hawkins?   It's effective if you're undersized.  :)

It’s effective if you’re a giant too. With a head of steam, Giannis can drop in a finger roll starting a gather from outside the free throw line, in traffic.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #367 on: October 25, 2021, 11:08:17 PM »

Not sure who invented it, but George Gervin perfected it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #368 on: October 25, 2021, 11:21:19 PM »
Giannis and Gervin can palm the ball.  I guess I was looking at this from a below the rim perspective to avoid a blocked shot.  Maybe I had more of an underhand flip as opposed to the finger roll.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #369 on: October 26, 2021, 07:27:49 AM »
It was his signature shot
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #370 on: October 26, 2021, 09:01:06 AM »
Tyler Herro really said he's in the same category as Luka Doncic, Trae Young, and Ja Morant?  LOL!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #371 on: October 26, 2021, 10:15:29 AM »
Tyler Herro really said he's in the same category as Luka Doncic, Trae Young, and Ja Morant?  LOL!

Not quite, he reacted to the top 12 under 24.

And if I'm a Heat fan, I love it.  People laughed and scoffed when he went to Kentucky.  Then he made himself a lottery pick.  Then scoffed when he went that high and then he had a good rookie year and balled in the playoffs.  He wasn't great last year but had a really strong preseason and started the season hot as hell.  I want my guys to have that belief and that chip on their shoulder.

And its not entirely ludicrous to view him in a tier with Haliburton, SGA, and DeAaron Fox.  Especially when the latter 2 have 1-2 more seasons in the league than him.  Unless you feel he's already peaked

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #372 on: October 26, 2021, 10:17:21 AM »

Kid could be enjoying his senior season at Madison playing with Brad Davison.  Kid has to wonder what could have been
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #373 on: October 26, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »

And if I'm a Heat fan, I love it.  People laughed and scoffed when he went to Kentucky.  Then he made himself a lottery pick.  Then scoffed when he went that high and then he had a good rookie year and balled in the playoffs.  He wasn't great last year but had a really strong preseason and started the season hot as hell.  I want my guys to have that belief and that chip on their shoulder.

And its not entirely ludicrous to view him in a tier with Haliburton, SGA, and DeAaron Fox.  Especially when the latter 2 have 1-2 more seasons in the league than him.  Unless you feel he's already peaked

He said he thinks he should be in the same category/conversation as Luka, Trae, Ja.  “I feel like I’m in the same conversation as those guys, the young guys coming up in the league who can be All-Stars, superstars one day,” Herro said. “Luka [Doncic], Trae [Young], Ja [Morant], those guys like that. I feel like my name should be in that category, too.”

The difference between him and those guys are that it's not "one day" for those guys.  Those guys are superstars and he belongs nowhere near their names.  Those are all top 20 NBA players right now.  Herro has never been a starter for a team that has been the 6 seed and the 5 seed in the Eastern Conference in his two years.  Nice player.  Got hot in the bubble.  But LOL at him thinking he belongs in the same conversation as Luka, Trae, Ja.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #374 on: October 26, 2021, 10:24:48 AM »

I agree, but the comment was he feels he is in the same category as Luke, Ja, and Trae. It was in an interview a few weeks ago and separate from the Top 12 under 24 I believe. Granted, he said he feels being in that category means being a future All-Star and potential Superstar. Based on the start of his career, I don’t think an All Star team is out of the realm of possibility.

I think the reason the comment sticks out to me was the thought his play suffered last year due to getting caught up in the Fame and NBA party lifestyle. He’s off to a hot start this year though.

feedback