collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Steve Novak opposes library sign addressing systemic racism  (Read 13411 times)

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
A sign addressing systemic racism was recently removed from the Whitefish Bay Public Library grounds following vocal criticism from some in the community — including former Milwaukee Bucks player Steve Novak.

The sign, which was placed in a rock garden display outside the library by Bay Bridge Wisconsin — a group that focuses on "raising awareness of racial and cultural bias in our community" — described its vision for the North Shore suburb.

"Whitefish Bay will be a welcoming community that recognizes systemic racism, and actively works to address and dismantle it," the sign read. "How will you be a bridge in helping to repair and build a more equitable community?"

"There is an offensive sign posted in front of the public library that incorrectly generalizes our community. It says that Whitefish Bay recognizes systemic racism," Novak, who works as an analyst for the Bucks on Bally Sports Wisconsin (formerly Fox Sports Wisconsin), wrote in a June 8 email to Nyama Reed, the library's director. "What group has taken the liberty of speaking for our community in such a hateful, damaging and inaccurate way?"

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2021/07/26/whitefish-bay-library-removes-sign-addressing-systemic-racism/8016856002/

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Steve Novak opposes library sign addressing systemic racism
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 10:10:44 AM »
"inaccurate"??

Oh, IBTL

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 10:12:23 AM »
In before the lock.

But also is anyone shocked a multi millionaire white guy from Libertyville -> Brown Deer wrote this? Take away the NBA pedigree and we'd just say it's par for the course
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:22:56 AM »
https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/7008709-Ben-Shapiro-The-circular-logic-of-systemic-racism
I agree with Steve. Not every person or community is inherently racist. Posting a sign like this conveys to me that the library is saying the police, and townfolk are racist, so come to the library to help stop this.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:24:49 AM by lawdog77 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 10:25:21 AM »
Steve should ask John Henson how his watch shopping in WFB went.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 10:39:58 AM »
https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/7008709-Ben-Shapiro-The-circular-logic-of-systemic-racism
I agree with Steve. Not every person or community is inherently racist. Posting a sign like this conveys to me that the library is saying the police, and townfolk are racist, so come to the library to help stop this.

What an awful article. I'm not saying he doesn't have a point in certain respects but if you can't see how singularly focused it is at proving a point you have to take some blinders off.
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »
This is bait.

I'll get the popcorn started.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 10:40:20 AM »
Steve should ask John Henson how his watch shopping in WFB went.

Bayshore is Glendale, FWIW

In before the lock.

But also is anyone shocked a multi millionaire white guy from Libertyville -> Brown Deer wrote this? Take away the NBA pedigree and we'd just say it's par for the course

You don't know much about Brown Deer do you?  It was close to a third African American last census and probably has gotten moreso.  Its a far cry from a lilywhite bourgeois suburb.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »

Schwanke-Kasten is in WFB.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 10:43:39 AM »

You don't know much about Brown Deer do you?  It was close to a third African American last census and probably has gotten moreso.  Its a far cry from a lilywhite bourgeois suburb.

Only those I saw on the golf course there and have played hurling with    and/or against at the park there.  But I can see how that could be a skewed view relative to a greater community.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »

Yep. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 10:51:17 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:24:05 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 10:51:58 AM »
Very disappointing that a seemingly intelligent guy with a Marquette degree does not recognize that systemic racism exists in his town and every town.

Here is an amazing AP article on a KKK plot to murder a Black man. The Klansmen involved were prison employees -- representative of the far too many law enforcement personnel who are part of violent white supremacist groups. Oh, and this wasn't 1920 or 1946 or 1957 or 1966 or 1978. This was just a few years ago.

https://apnews.com/article/government-and-politics-business-race-and-ethnicity-racial-injustice-only-on-ap-2b4106de3ebcbfae85948439a7056031?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MorningWire_July27&utm_term=Morning%20Wire%20Subscribers

But yes, white people should be offended about attempts to recognize, address and dismantle systemic racism. Because white folks just can't get a break in America. We're the true victims.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »
Honestly disappointed in reading this. There is nothing offensive about recognizing systemic racism and asking people how they can help.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 11:03:58 AM »
Recognizing Systemic Racism, (and making efforts to improve upon it) is “Offensive” to Steve.

Recognizing that Systemic Racism exists in Whitefish Bay (and making efforts to improve upon it) is also offensive to Steve.

Wow.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 11:06:18 AM »
Honestly disappointed in reading this. There is nothing offensive about recognizing systemic racism and asking people how they can help.
Its offensive to some, especially to those that dont believe in systemic RACISM in all persons,communities. Difference between have inherent biases or subconscious stereotyping. Big leap to going from that to racism.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 11:07:08 AM »
I don’t see what was offensive. The sign said that Whitefish Bay is a welcoming community that recognizes systemic racism, it didn’t even say anything about the community being guilty of systemic racism itself.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 11:07:35 AM »

You're right, probably nothing wrong with the intent of the message. 

My guess is Novak read it differently which is his right.  My guess is that his behavior towards others that he interacts with is just fine.  That said, many (not saying you TAMU) will overreact to this.  82 has already compared him to the KKK.

IBTL.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2021, 11:10:04 AM »
You're right, probably nothing wrong with the intent of the message. 

My guess is Novak read it differently which is his right.  My guess is that his behavior towards others that he interacts with is just fine.  That said, many (not saying you TAMU) will overreact to this.  82 has already compared him to the KKK.

IBTL.

Nads is the least racist person ever.  He's so woke he gets up at 3 am daily to scour the internet for opinion pieces to share with us to validate his non-racism.

Sexism and misogyny are a different story, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:13:10 AM by ZiggysFryBoy »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2021, 11:13:33 AM »
82 has already compared him to the KKK.

If that's what you got out of what I posted, you might have a problem.

Nads is the least racist person ever.

Thanks, Zig. Means a lot coming from you, though I don't know how one would measure that.

I don't think white folks are the victims, so I guess that makes me "less racist" than some.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 11:18:54 AM »
Its offensive to some, especially to those that dont believe in systemic RACISM in all persons,communities. Difference between have inherent biases or subconscious stereotyping. Big leap to going from that to racism.

I should have clarified. When I use the term offensive, I mean "insulting" not "don't agree with". The sign didn't even accuse anyone or anything of systemic racism, just acknowledged that it existed.

Inherent bias and subconscious stereotyping is part of systemic racism.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »
Nads is the least racist person ever.  He's so woke he gets up at 3 am daily to scour the internet for opinion pieces to share with us to validate his non-racism.

Sexism and misogyny are a different story, unfortunately.

Your second sentence is a lie. And your third is a bigger lie. And you actually edited your original post to insert those lies; what a sad, small person you are.

But you definitely would know about racism, given that you have said overtly racist things right here on Scoop.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 11:32:21 AM »

You're totally right.  In my head it was a store in the outdoor portion of Bayshore.  My bad.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2021, 11:37:06 AM »
Disappointed in Steve. Seems like a pretty good sign for a place that has been referred to as Whitefolks Bay for some time.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2021, 11:39:36 AM »
Your second sentence is a lie. And your third is a bigger lie. And you actually edited your original post to insert those lies; what a sad, small person you are.

But you definitely would know about racism, given that you have said overtly racist things right here on Scoop.

Still waiting for you to recap all of the racist things that I have posted.  Besides MJ liked white women back in the day, which was true and widely known.  Surprised someone as non racist as you didn't write a column on that, back when you were employable.   You know, prior to the whole slutshaming debacle, and your "retirement".