[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Olympics 2021  (Read 33504 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Olympics 2021
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2021, 04:19:12 PM »
Man, now I feel like my school failed us. We played Handball, but it was the raquetball-like derivative where you hit a ball against a wall using your hand.

Actually, when we played it in school it was always called “team handball.”  I always knew “handball” to be the racquetball-like sport.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2021, 04:28:42 PM »
Actually, when we played it in school it was always called “team handball.”  I always knew “handball” to be the racquetball-like sport.

Ditto. Nothing better than throwing the ball as hard as you could at something.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »
The dudes recreating all the sport emojis at the opening ceremonies was pretty awesome.

I saw that, pretty cool. I wonder how much rehearsing that took.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »
I watched the introductory episode of Olympic Highlights with Kevin Hart and Snoop Dogg.

It was just meh, but I did laugh when Snoop called a guy who had previously medaled in both Triple Jump and Long Jump "a Jesse Owens motherf*cker".

Maybe the actual recap episodes will be better.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 09:34:26 PM »
Wow. Lydia Jacoby,  A 17 yr old from Alaska, just won gold in the 100m breast stroke.  Alaska??  That's really cool no pun intended.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2021, 09:49:16 PM »
Wow. Lydia Jacoby,  A 17 yr old from Alaska, just won gold in the 100m breast stroke.  Alaska??  That's really cool no pun intended.

She skated to the finish line.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2021, 10:20:38 PM »
Jacoby saving the US from an underwhelming night.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 05:36:14 AM »

Its my understanding that up in Alaska during her practice swims they would throw in a hungry polar bear in the pool; just as an incentive.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 06:14:32 AM »
Jacoby saving the US from an underwhelming night.
It might be just me, but I am glad Lilly King did not win. She seems to be kind of a bully.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 06:26:50 AM »
Practiced by swimming to Russia and back.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 07:06:38 AM »
It might be just me, but I am glad Lilly King did not win. She seems to be kind of a bully.
I do hope she learned a lesson in humility.

Meanwhile complete disaster in women's gymnastics with Simone Biles dropping out.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 08:14:30 AM »
Lydia Jacoby of course is a Texas Swimming commit. Texas having a nice week.

Gold for Carissa Moore in surfing.

Bermuda gets gold in Women’s Triathalon.

Philippines gets a gold in Women’s Weightlifting.

Lots of great fun events.

Non regular NBC sports viewers are getting a good look at NBC sports television and streaming decisions.

Did people really think live Women’s Gymnastics was going to compete with endless commercial ad money for the Today Show on NBC? Not a chance. Welcome to Premier League Soccer, French Open Tennis and the other events they have.

Production quality of the Women’s Gymnastics today, shot choice etc wasn’t good either.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:27:07 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2021, 08:22:31 AM »
Meanwhile complete disaster in women's gymnastics with Simone Biles dropping out.

Yeah, crazy.

Just read the account: "She had bailed out of the vault she had planned to do — a Yurchenko with 2½ twists, watering it down to 1½ twists. She stumbled out of the landing."

I empathize with her. I mean, I stumbled out of my Yurchenko with 2½ twists many a night as I exited the 'Lanche.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »
Have I missed it, or has NBC's prime time coverage of men's gymnastics been pretending that the rings no longer exist? I haven't seen any, and I think I've watched most (if not all) the prime time coverage of men's gymnastics. I actually googled to see if rings is still among the men's events.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2021, 08:51:00 AM »
Lydia Jacoby of course is a Texas Swimming commit. Texas having a nice week.

Gold for Carissa Moore in surfing.

Bermuda gets gold in Women’s Triathalon.

Philippines gets a gold in Women’s Weightlifting.

Lots of great fun events.

Non regular NBC sports viewers are getting a good look at NBC sports television and streaming decisions.

Did people really think live Women’s Gymnastics was going to compete with endless commercial ad money for the Today Show on NBC? Not a chance. Welcome to Premier League Soccer, French Open Tennis and the other events they have.

Production quality of the Women’s Gymnastics today, shot choice etc wasn’t good either.

Being laid up from surgery I've been watching a ton of Olympics coverage.

I watched the women's triathlon in the entirety.  Very compelling until the run when Flora she just floored it.  It was the Bermuda women's fourth Olympics and the announcers said Olympic experience in this event helps immensely. 
The Philippine women was in lockdown, so was lifting big water cooler bottles and whatever she could rig up at home to keep up her training.

Most importantly, it was the first gold ever for Bermuda and the Philippines.  That's a good story line.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2021, 09:26:59 AM »
Being laid up from surgery I've been watching a ton of Olympics coverage.

I watched the women's triathlon in the entirety.  Very compelling until the run when Flora she just floored it.  It was the Bermuda women's fourth Olympics and the announcers said Olympic experience in this event helps immensely. 
The Philippine women was in lockdown, so was lifting big water cooler bottles and whatever she could rig up at home to keep up her training.

Most importantly, it was the first gold ever for Bermuda and the Philippines.  That's a good story line.

Hope you are doing well with your surgery.

I would like to see NBC do more to profile, highlight, speak with athletes from other countries as well.

There are many, many good stories and athletic achievements.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2021, 10:01:09 AM »
I think NBC pulling an MLB and refusing to allow any highlights on Twitter was another colossal error.  Especially with the time difference.

Interesting timing with Biles given all the minor controversy regarding how she's been handled by the judges.  Obviously she would never purposefully tank the team but its all just interesting drama.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2021, 10:02:58 AM »
Hope you are doing well with your surgery.

I would like to see NBC do more to profile, highlight, speak with athletes from other countries as well.

There are many, many good stories and athletic achievements.

I'm doing good.  Worked from home last week and will go in the office part time this week.

They did a piece last night on British high diver Tom Daley who is in his 4th Olympics and his first appearance was in Beijing at age 14.  He finally won his first gold medal as he and his dive partner beat the Chinese by 1 point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2021, 10:58:04 AM »
Is Biles out for all competition?  Or just the team competition?  I assume the person who finished 3rd on US's team will replace her?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2021, 11:09:12 AM »
My oldest is a swimmer and was super excited to watch the swimming events.  They are on at 5 am(which he us getting up to watch) or highlight only packages.

Very disappointed that peacock or nbcsn isn't showing events in their entirety on demand.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »
My oldest is a swimmer and was super excited to watch the swimming events.  They are on at 5 am(which he us getting up to watch) or highlight only packages.

Very disappointed that peacock or nbcsn isn't showing events in their entirety on demand.

Haven't a lot of the swimming events been live on NBC in the 8-10 PM window?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2021, 11:16:50 AM »

Interesting timing with Biles given all the minor controversy regarding how she's been handled by the judges.  Obviously she would never purposefully tank the team but its all just interesting drama.

This had nothing to do with judges or tanking. It is almost definitely not just "drama".

It is all about the complete and utter sexual corruption in USA Gymnastics. Biles was repeatedly sexually abused by Nasser and USA Gymnastics refused to acknowledge it. Bela Karoli was a monster who allowed sexual and physical abuse over the years.

Simone finally has dealt with the effects of that abuse just recently. "All those years, nobody ever told us what sexual abuse was," Biles said. "So we didn't really feel like we were going through it or victims."

According to Indianapolis Star, Nassar performed "osteopathic manipulation" on his patients. The practice involves doctors using their hands to diagnose illness and injury. In her experience, Biles said she initially had a difficult time admitting she had been abused.

"A lot of us didn't go to school, we were homeschooled. So it's not like we had a lot of people to talk about it with," she recalled . "I remember asking one of my friends, 'Hey, have I been sexually assaulted?' and I thought I was being dramatic at first, and she said, 'No, absolutely.' "

"I said, 'Are you sure? I don't think so,' " Biles recounted. "Because I feel like in those instances, I was one of the luckier ones because I didn't get it as bad as some of the other girls I knew."

After accepting she had been assaulted by Nassar, Biles began grappling with depression. "I was like super depressed, I didn't want to leave my room, and I didn't want to go anywhere. I kind of just shut everybody out. I don't know, it was probably hard for me," she said.

"I remember being on the phone with my agent, and telling my mom and my agent that I slept all the time," Biles said. "Because sleeping was better than offing myself. It was my way to escape reality. Sleeping was like the closest thing to death for me at that point, so I just slept all the time."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2021, 11:18:31 AM »
Haven't a lot of the swimming events been live on NBC in the 8-10 PM window?

Just going off of what a 14 year old told me, tbh.   ;D

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2021, 11:22:22 AM »
Is Biles out for all competition?  Or just the team competition?  I assume the person who finished 3rd on US's team will replace her?

She is taking it day to day to decide what she will do.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2021, 11:23:03 AM »
What Biles is describing is not uncommon. Many victims of child abuse don't realize that what happened to them is abuse until they are told (and oftentimes retold several times) by someone else that it was abuse. Even if they were completely functional and unphased by it for years, when they finally have that realization, the delayed impact can be devastating.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback