[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ryder Cup  (Read 37500 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Ryder Cup
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2021, 11:28:41 AM »

Actually I looked it up on a few sites, and they are pretty much all like this.  Here is Miriam-Webster's

: loyalty and devotion to a nation
especially : a sense of national consciousness (see CONSCIOUSNESS sense 1c) exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

The dictionary definition has changed over the years in light of a number of events but the negative connotation attached to the definition is clearly based on context and is interpretative.  The idea that all those that are nationalistic are so to the detriment of other nations is simply false whether it's in Webster's or anywhere else.  That's a total mickey-mouse definition propagated by academics and others that want the word only to have a negative slant.  There are also many nuances as well as anomalies to the traditional definition of nationalism which refers to a shared culture and language.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:38:17 AM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2021, 11:32:36 AM »
Discussion about a golf event turns into arguments about semantics, definitions and patriotism.

Classic Scoop.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2021, 11:33:02 AM »

Actually I looked it up on a few sites, and they are pretty much all like this.  Here is Miriam-Webster's

: loyalty and devotion to a nation
especially : a sense of national consciousness (see CONSCIOUSNESS sense 1c) exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

There are many definitions of nationalism. The ones you picked are valid, so are others you omit.

Nationalism, according to Dictionary.com:

1. Spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation
2. Devotion and loyalty to ones country; patriotism
3. Excessive patriotism; chauvinism
4. The desire for national advancement or political independence.
5. The policy of asserting the interest of one’s own nation viewed as separate from the interests of all nations
6. An idiom or trait peculiar to a nation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2021, 11:40:56 AM »
Phil Mickelson says the Euros win The Ryder Cup because of their locker room.   Because they have trust in each other and their process.

Dammit, Phil.   Quit agreeing with me.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2021, 11:56:23 AM »
Phil Mickelson says the Euros win The Ryder Cup because of their locker room.   Because they have trust in each other and their process.

Dammit, Phil.   Quit agreeing with me.

Phil's a commie? Who knew?

tower912

• All American
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:31:36 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2021, 02:32:17 PM »
FWIW, interview schedule is as follows:

Spieth-JT
Fraudulent Physicist-Sheffler
Brooks-Finau
DJ-Morikawa
Berger-English
Xander-Cantlay

Rory-Hovland
Westwood-Garcia
Poulter-Lowry
Fleetwood-Burnt Cheezeberger
Casey-Fitzpatrick
Hatton-Rahm
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

tower912

• All American
« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2021, 03:42:32 PM »
Will Bryson get his first ever Ryder Cup point this week?  0-5 so far.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2021, 04:30:11 PM »
Yes. US is going to win something like 18-9 and Bryson will join in the fun.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2021, 04:38:28 PM »

He’s unplayable in alternate shot.  But Stricker will listen to the diaper boys of Team USA and set the course up pillow soft with very forgiving greens and easy pins so Diaper Boy Bryson can bomb and gouge.  That will help him immensely.  If the course was a proper test of golf, no way he’d get a point

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2021, 05:32:22 PM »
Some of you guys talk like Bryson dumped your sister and insulted your mom in the same weekend.  Good lord.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »
Some of you guys talk like Bryson dumped your sister and insulted your mom in the same weekend.  Good lord.

My sister has better taste than that

tower912

• All American
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2021, 05:41:17 PM »
I actually feel bad for him.   He seems like he wants to be liked. But his record is his record.   And his playing style is his playing style.  And the US Ryder cup record over the last 35 years is abysmal.

There aren't going to be many Euro fans at the event.  if Bryson plays poorly, I can see some overserved fans turning on him.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
I actually feel bad for him.   He seems like he wants to be liked. But his record is his record.   And his playing style is his playing style.  And the US Ryder cup record over the last 35 years is abysmal.

There aren't going to be many Euro fans at the event.  if Bryson plays poorly, I can see some overserved fans turning on him.

I don’t feel bad for him because he believes the crap he says. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2021, 07:48:22 PM »
Looks like Euros were flying over today. So not like Stricker was the only one not around.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2021, 08:24:10 PM »

Meaning what exactly?  Booing him and yelling Brooksy? Maybe he plays well Tower?  Either way I don't expect the fans to turn on him unless he does something really stupid.  Especially if this is a close contest overall which I expect it to be.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
'If' was the key word, Muggsy.    If he plays well, no one will care or yell anything.   

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2021, 08:50:51 PM »
'If' was the key word, Muggsy.    If he plays well, no one will care or yell anything.

Well, as you've rightly pointed out, we've had many RC players not show up.  Tiger Woods for example.  Do you believe people will turn on him just because he's unlikable and has bizarre mannerisms?  I dunno.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2021, 07:58:10 AM »
I am expecting a big performance from Colin Morikowa . I think the format is perfect for his style of game .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2021, 09:27:19 AM »
I am expecting a big performance from Colin Morikowa . I think the format is perfect for his style of game .

If he’s making putts and isn’t injured still. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2021, 10:45:44 AM »
If he’s making putts and isn’t injured still.
I think the foursomes favor Colins game. On half the holes he can hit the approach . If they pair him with a good putter they will win a lot of holes .

It is the same logic the Euros have used with Sergio over the years in foursomes . Sergio is a lousy putter but can hit it very close on the approach .
                       ---Al McGuire

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #246 on: September 21, 2021, 12:46:40 PM »
For those of you looking for some Ryder cup stories, the No Laying Up podcast released a compilation of all the Ryder Cup stories that have been told over the years during their multiple interviews of professional players.  I highly recommend it... some great stuff.  when you hear Paul Azinger talking about playing Seve Ballestreros and the bad blood they had, you'll better understand his comments directed towards Brooks.  Good stuff.

https://podbay.fm/p/no-laying-up-golf-podcast/e/1631725200

“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2021, 08:19:58 AM »
Has anyone been to a Ryder Cup before? Any suggestions for those of us going for the first time? Is it best to follow along with a group or try to set up at a couple specific holes? It seems like with only a few holes in play at any given time on Thur and Fri it could be pretty crowded.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2021, 08:22:25 AM »
Has anyone been to a Ryder Cup before? Any suggestions for those of us going for the first time? Is it best to follow along with a group or try to set up at a couple specific holes? It seems like with only a few holes in play at any given time on Thur and Fri it could be pretty crowded.

Thursday is still a practice round.  First tee is loud and goosed up pretty good, regardless of venue and you see all the groups start.  A friend of mine said the 6th and 12th will be good spots as well, he’s volunteering.  Following a group is tough sledding at Whistling Straits given the terrain

MU82

• All American
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2021, 08:27:53 AM »
Thursday is still a practice round.  First tee is loud and goosed up pretty good, regardless of venue and you see all the groups start.  A friend of mine said the 6th and 12th will be good spots as well, he’s volunteering.  Following a group is tough sledding at Whistling Straits given the terrain

Gotta choose the best spots to shout, "Brooksie!"