collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone with an EV?  (Read 8211 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Anyone with an EV?
« on: July 07, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »
Curious if any Scoopers out there have an electric vehicle..

Question .. where do you charge it?    I assume at home, 99% of the time.

What would be the occasion you'd use a charging station, besides long distance travel?

Like .. if you were going to a mall that had an EV station, would you use it?  If there was a restaurant with a station, would you eat there?  etc.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Anyone with an EV?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 11:26:34 AM »

What would be the occasion you'd use a charging station, besides long distance travel?

Like .. if you were going to a mall that had an EV station, would you use it?  If there was a restaurant with a station, would you eat there?  etc.

I don't have an EV. But I've done weeks/months worth of reading/research as I'm getting into the market next year.  Multiple friends of ours have one.

Charge at home 99% of the time. Charge on the road for road trips.

Otherwise, I can't envision a scenario where you'd need it unless you forgot to plug-in at home multiple days in a row. Or you bought an EV with a super short range.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 11:35:22 AM »
I have a hybrid.  Real charge at home, but I often charge in parking lots and garages--usually a couple of hours free, and always a great space.

Only get around 20 to 25 miles per charge, which covers my round trip commute and most driving around town.  At least in the summer (only get around 10 to 12 miles on very cold days).  The last three summers I have made it on one tank of gas.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 11:37:56 AM »
We don't have one yet, but plan to with our next purchase. We had them install an EV plug in the garage when our solar panels were put on last year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 11:58:52 AM »
We don't have one yet, but plan to with our next purchase. We had them install an EV plug in the garage when our solar panels were put on last year.

Just wired to 220? Or is there a universal EV plug that exists that all models are utilizing?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 12:54:55 PM »
Just wired to 220? Or is there a universal EV plug that exists that all models are utilizing?

220, 221... whatever it takes.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 01:28:07 PM »
I have a hybrid.  Real charge at home, but I often charge in parking lots and garages--usually a couple of hours free, and always a great space.

Only get around 20 to 25 miles per charge, which covers my round trip commute and most driving around town.  At least in the summer (only get around 10 to 12 miles on very cold days).  The last three summers I have made it on one tank of gas.

Fusion energi?

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 02:19:07 PM »
I don't have an EV. But I've done weeks/months worth of reading/research as I'm getting into the market next year.  Multiple friends of ours have one.

Charge at home 99% of the time. Charge on the road for road trips.

Otherwise, I can't envision a scenario where you'd need it unless you forgot to plug-in at home multiple days in a row. Or you bought an EV with a super short range.

What are you looking at, jes?

I'm driving a 10 1/2 year old SUV now and am thinking I'd like to buy something by year's end. I'm considering everything -- EVs, plug-in hybrids, hybrids and regular ICE vehicles ... but I'd prefer either an EV or a plug-in hybrid if I can get what I want at an acceptable price, especially if it qualifies for a federal tax credit.

I've done a little research but so far the ones I like best, like the Volvo plug-in hybrid SUV, are outrageously priced. Hyundai is coming out with a plug-in hybrid version of the Santa Fe later this year, and I'm intrigued by that. I'd be all over the Ford F-150 EV if I felt I could actually get one I'd like for under 50K, but fat chance of that. I don't need a truck anyway; just like the idea of it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 02:21:56 PM »

I don't have an EV, but my daughter and her husband have a Tesla Model X. They charge it right in their garage using a regular outlet. Plug it in when whoever drove it comes home at night, and it's good to go with a full charge the next morning. Tesla sells a quick-charge device but they decided they don't need it. My daughter said she "filled up" at a charging station only once but it's definitely an option for them if they ever need it. They live in Seattle, so the charging stations are prevalent, and some merchants make them available to use for free.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

reinko

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 02:28:39 PM »
I too am in the camp for my next car, but may be awhile still.

What EVs are people looking at?  The Tesla Model Y checks a lot of boxes, and while not a “pickup” guy, the new F150, which be used as a generator and actually power your house or whatever is very very cool.  https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

I imagine they will eventually put the same/similar tech into the Escape, Explorer, if that’s the case, Ford may be my choice.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 03:13:13 PM »
Just don't become one of those insufferable EV owners.

My friend got one a couple of years ago, and that's all she ever talks about.

All of her social media posts are retweets of articles about EVs or pictures of her charging her Tesla in various places.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 03:31:49 PM »
Guessin' eye'm knot woke enough, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 03:57:58 PM »
Guessin' eye'm knot woke enough, hey?

Buying gas guzzlers to own the libs.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 04:03:38 PM »
The new Hummer is all EV.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »
The Big plus with EVs is low maintenance. The down side for me is any thing that takes more than 3 minutes ( time to fill up my Odyssey ) to charge and not get about 300 miles range is a deal breaker. In my development there a quit a few families with 2-3 cars in the driveway and many cars parked on the street. That is a lot of extension cords I or small children just might trip over if they were all EVs. Also a federal mandate that all EVs must have a special connector that indicates the power being used is for an EV so the power can be taxed similar to the gasoline tax.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
Fusion energi?

Plug in hybrid (regenerative with braking too)

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 04:13:19 PM »
220, 221... whatever it takes.

well done

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 04:34:53 PM »
Legs looks pretty snappy in his beret, driving his ‘Lectric car. 🤣

I won’t own one for a while, but the 0-60 you get in a high end Tesla or a new mustang is impressive.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2021, 04:54:50 PM »
I don't have an EV, but my daughter and her husband have a Tesla Model X. They charge it right in their garage using a regular outlet. Plug it in when whoever drove it comes home at night, and it's good to go with a full charge the next morning. Tesla sells a quick-charge device but they decided they don't need it. My daughter said she "filled up" at a charging station only once but it's definitely an option for them if they ever need it. They live in Seattle, so the charging stations are prevalent, and some merchants make them available to use for free.

That would be normal question to people.  Do they just plug in nightly?  If so, the complaints about filling up seem hollow to me.  If I had a gas station in my driveway, my normal ICE wouldn't ever get below half, short of long trips.

Same for the argument about range.  My dad, as an engineer, thinks Teslas and the like are super cool.  But the older school in him thinks they aren't practical because of range.  But even at a conservative 300 mile range, that takes me from Milwaukee to ORD nearly 2 full round trips.  I can get to almost Detroit on a single charge.  I havent driven more than 350 miles on more than a SUPER rare basis since I was in college outside Cincinnati.  I just feel like its a convenient crutch to rebel against EVs without taking into account most driver, especially younger driver, behavior.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2021, 05:09:11 PM »
No.

But, we are only a few months away from becoming a Buick/GMC/Hummer dealership.  While I am nowhere near the person in charge, I do know an initial deposit on our (10?) charging stations was due by June 30.  My mindless salesman quarterly training that was just released also has several lessons regarding EV vehicles.

Also-- related to the Used Car Market thread-- two weeks ago I sold a 2017 Chevy Bolt with about 30k miles.  The Bolt was originally a lease, and we bought it via auction last November for about $15k.

We originally had the Bolt listed for $17,986, but shortly after we got it there was an open recall on the vehicle, (I think they were starting themselves on fire), so we had to sit on it from November until the recall was fixed about a month ago.  We sold it two weeks ago for $22k-- $7,000 profit and $4k more than we had it listed for in the Fall.  It is a very, very weird time to be selling cars.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2021, 05:32:00 PM »
Buying gas guzzlers to own the libs.
I'd prefer they just refuse to take the vaccine to own the libs rather than taking us down with them.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2021, 06:01:41 PM »
I have watched literally hours of videos on EVs over the last few years. I have read lots of articles, blogs and forum posts. I have ridden in, driven or test drove the following:

Model 3 SR+, LR
Model Y LR, Performance
Model S 90D
Kona EV
Soul EV
Volt
Bolt
Etron
ID4
Mach E

I currently drive an Accord Hybrid. Ultimately, I'm going to be getting a KIA EV6.

If anyone cares, I'll explain why that particular vehicle vs Model Y/ID4/Ioniq 5/Q4 Etron/Mach E

I'm very interested in a Santa Fe PHEV (or other PHEV SUV) for the wife in a couple years.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2021, 06:24:02 PM »
I have a fleet of four gasoline powered motor vehicles. They range from 127,000 miles (my 2011 Buick Enclave) to a BMW 5 series with 35,000 miles.

My hunch is I’ll give up petroleum when an electric vehicle can routinely go about 450 miles on a charge and a quick full charge can be done in 30 to 45 minutes. Until then, Give me Chevron or give me death!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2021, 06:54:18 PM »
I have a fleet of four gasoline powered motor vehicles. They range from 127,000 miles (my 2011 Buick Enclave) to a BMW 5 series with 35,000 miles.

My hunch is I’ll give up petroleum when an electric vehicle can routinely go about 450 miles on a charge and a quick full charge can be done in 30 to 45 minutes. Until then, Give me Chevron or give me death!

How often are you driving 450 miles at one time?