[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone with an EV?  (Read 8214 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Anyone with an EV?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2021, 06:55:06 PM »

I currently drive an Accord Hybrid. Ultimately, I'm going to be getting a KIA EV6.

If anyone cares, I'll explain why that particular vehicle vs Model Y/ID4/Ioniq 5/Q4 Etron/Mach E

I’d be interested to hear.  Kia has come a long ways but I’d not be keen to pay $40-50K for one. And I also think the EV6 looks like a knock off Tesla personally

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »
I too am in the camp for my next car, but may be awhile still.

What EVs are people looking at?  The Tesla Model Y checks a lot of boxes, and while not a “pickup” guy, the new F150, which be used as a generator and actually power your house or whatever is very very cool.  https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

I imagine they will eventually put the same/similar tech into the Escape, Explorer, if that’s the case, Ford may be my choice.

If that's your baseline, cross-shop ID4, Mach E, Q4 etron, EV6, Ioniq 5

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2021, 06:57:01 PM »
The new Hummer is all EV.

Got $120k to spend?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2021, 06:57:48 PM »
The Big plus with EVs is low maintenance. The down side for me is any thing that takes more than 3 minutes ( time to fill up my Odyssey ) to charge and not get about 300 miles range is a deal breaker. In my development there a quit a few families with 2-3 cars in the driveway and many cars parked on the street. That is a lot of extension cords I or small children just might trip over if they were all EVs. Also a federal mandate that all EVs must have a special connector that indicates the power being used is for an EV so the power can be taxed similar to the gasoline tax.

How often do you drive 300 miles at once? And speed of charging is overrated unless you're unable to charge at home

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2021, 06:58:51 PM »
I have watched literally hours of videos on EVs over the last few years. I have read lots of articles, blogs and forum posts. I have ridden in, driven or test drove the following:

Model 3 SR+, LR
Model Y LR, Performance
Model S 90D
Kona EV
Soul EV
Volt
Bolt
Etron
ID4
Mach E

I currently drive an Accord Hybrid. Ultimately, I'm going to be getting a KIA EV6.

If anyone cares, I'll explain why that particular vehicle vs Model Y/ID4/Ioniq 5/Q4 Etron/Mach E

I'm very interested in a Santa Fe PHEV (or other PHEV SUV) for the wife in a couple years.

I'd be curious to hear why you've chosen the EV6. It doesn't come out till next year and it's gonna go for at least 60K, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2021, 07:00:36 PM »
I’d be interested to hear.  Kia has come a long ways but I’d not be keen to pay $40-50K for one. And I also think the EV6 looks like a knock off Tesla personally

For me, the outside of EV6 has a lot more personality than a Tesla. And the inside is anything but "minimalistic".

$40-50k is about average for a decent (not bottom of the barrel (Bolt) and not luxury (IPace)) EV at this time

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2021, 07:01:39 PM »
For those worried about running out of juice on long trips ... that's one of the pros about plug-in hybrids. They have an electric range of anywhere from 18-30 miles, so most quick trips, and even a lot of round-trip commutes will be all electric. But if you need to go further, it seamlessly converts to a hybrid gas engine.

So 95% of the time you can use electric, but for the big trips you're golden.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2021, 07:04:19 PM »
No.

But, we are only a few months away from becoming a Buick/GMC/Hummer dealership.  While I am nowhere near the person in charge, I do know an initial deposit on our (10?) charging stations was due by June 30.  My mindless salesman quarterly training that was just released also has several lessons regarding EV vehicles.

Also-- related to the Used Car Market thread-- two weeks ago I sold a 2017 Chevy Bolt with about 30k miles.  The Bolt was originally a lease, and we bought it via auction last November for about $15k.

We originally had the Bolt listed for $17,986, but shortly after we got it there was an open recall on the vehicle, (I think they were starting themselves on fire), so we had to sit on it from November until the recall was fixed about a month ago.  We sold it two weeks ago for $22k-- $7,000 profit and $4k more than we had it listed for in the Fall.  It is a very, very weird time to be selling cars.

I'd be interested in hearing your perspective on how long you think this is gonna last? I have a vested interest because I have a car I think I'll be selling in the not-too-distant future.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2021, 07:07:49 PM »
How often are you driving 450 miles at one time?

Dgies is a long hauler.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2021, 07:27:50 PM »
For me, the outside of EV6 has a lot more personality than a Tesla. And the inside is anything but "minimalistic".

$40-50k is about average for a decent (not bottom of the barrel (Bolt) and not luxury (IPace)) EV at this time

It definitely is cool looking, and Kia makes a nice car.

I'm leaning toward PHEV, with an eye on the upcoming Santa Fe we have both referenced. I really like the Volvo XC90 PHEV because we had an XC70 20 years ago and it was the nicest, most comfortable car I've ever owned, but I don't think I can justify spending more than $50K for a car.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2021, 07:53:22 PM »
I'd prefer they just refuse to take the vaccine to own the libs rather than taking us down with them.

Good Lord, you are a humorless, one track minded fūck.

Well played, Pakuni.

Topper get into a powerful govt position and wants to get all fancy.   8-)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2021, 07:59:30 PM »
Thanks Ziggy, I so value your opinion.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2021, 08:09:07 PM »
I too am in the camp for my next car, but may be awhile still.

What EVs are people looking at?  The Tesla Model Y checks a lot of boxes, and while not a “pickup” guy, the new F150, which be used as a generator and actually power your house or whatever is very very cool.  https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

I imagine they will eventually put the same/similar tech into the Escape, Explorer, if that’s the case, Ford may be my choice.
I like the concept of the home generator with the F150. I am going to investigate that for potential business use in areas where we have lots of storms
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2021, 08:16:22 PM »
It definitely is cool looking, and Kia makes a nice car.

I'm leaning toward PHEV, with an eye on the upcoming Santa Fe we have both referenced. I really like the Volvo XC90 PHEV because we had an XC70 20 years ago and it was the nicest, most comfortable car I've ever owned, but I don't think I can justify spending more than $50K for a car.

FWIW, I’ve heard the new XC90 drives like crap.  I don’t know about the EV version obviously but I really liked the new version due to the interior customizability and configurations.  But within a few weeks of expressing interest, 2 diff friends of friends who had one, and another who test drove, had less than glowing reviews

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2021, 08:41:36 PM »
In the last 12 months I have driven more than 300 several times.  Myrtle beach for a week.   Elizabethtown for a week.   Spring break in Baltimore.    Sandusky twice.   Forest Dunes.   Treetops.   

I can easily see an electric as a second car, except for price.    I cannot see it as my primary car until the range increases, the number of recharging stations approaches that of gas pumps,  the recharging time decreases and they stop losing 40% of range in near zero temperatures.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2021, 09:47:25 PM »
In the last 12 months I have driven more than 300 several times.  Myrtle beach for a week.   Elizabethtown for a week.   Spring break in Baltimore.    Sandusky twice.   Forest Dunes.   Treetops.   

I can easily see an electric as a second car, except for price.    I cannot see it as my primary car until the range increases, the number of recharging stations approaches that of gas pumps,  the recharging time decreases and they stop losing 40% of range in near zero temperatures.

4 more summers of baseball tournaments, then go for it...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2021, 11:07:45 PM »
Dgies is a long hauler.

Thanks Brother Doc. Actually, I drive back and forth from Chicago to Florida about twice a year. That's the reason I keep my Enclave around and why I just poured $4,000 into a Transmission overhaul. This year, the Enclave will go to Florida in early November with my dog. The dog is 14 and there's no way I'd drive except I'm not likely to put the dog in the cargo pit of an airliner at that age.

We'll drive one way back at Thanksgiving and leave the Enclave in Chicago for when I return on business. At Christmas we will drive my LaCrosse back and forth to Florida and I'll probably have my son drive the Enclave back when he takes vacation next spring.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2021, 11:24:08 PM »
FWIW, I’ve heard the new XC90 drives like crap.  I don’t know about the EV version obviously but I really liked the new version due to the interior customizability and configurations.  But within a few weeks of expressing interest, 2 diff friends of friends who had one, and another who test drove, had less than glowing reviews

Good to know in case I win the lottery!

Seriously, thanks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2021, 11:30:08 PM »
Curious if any Scoopers out there have an electric vehicle..

Question .. where do you charge it?    I assume at home, 99% of the time.

What would be the occasion you'd use a charging station, besides long distance travel?

Like .. if you were going to a mall that had an EV station, would you use it?  If there was a restaurant with a station, would you eat there?  etc.

Just talked to my daughter, and here are a few facts related to charging their Tesla …

They at first used the regular 120v outlet in their garage. Took 3 days to go from near empty to full. They then got a 240V and now can “fill” it in a few hours. They get 50 miles worth in an hour or so.

A few times they have used public charging stations. A Safeway near them has free 240V ones to use while shopping. At the Target across the street there are some quick charge stations for a nominal fee. She said she only used it once and didn’t notice much difference between that and the 240V.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2021, 05:21:16 AM »
Out of curiosity, what's the effect on the electric bill?  Is it still a major savings versus gas?

My wife and I considered but not yet mostly due to take.  Driving back and forth to Cincinnati several times per year.  Driving to Myrtle Beach and Florida for vacation.  Adding in Burlington VT a couple times a year now too. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2021, 06:26:59 AM »
I'd be interested in hearing your perspective on how long you think this is gonna last? I have a vested interest because I have a car I think I'll be selling in the not-too-distant future.

A long time.  Computer chip shortage that has no end in sight.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2021, 08:08:37 AM »
For those worried about running out of juice on long trips ... that's one of the pros about plug-in hybrids. They have an electric range of anywhere from 18-30 miles, so most quick trips, and even a lot of round-trip commutes will be all electric. But if you need to go further, it seamlessly converts to a hybrid gas engine.

So 95% of the time you can use electric, but for the big trips you're golden.

So while I know precious little about EVs and will likely never own one in my lifetime, that's a product that makes sense to me, much like a traditional hybrid, for an urban dweller who only has one car.  And I can see electric in any form as one's urban commute vehicle when combined with a separate gasoline (or hybrid) powered traditional car. 

Now as for to this $50-$100K+ price tag issue...... not ever happening for me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2021, 08:16:25 AM »
So while I know precious little about EVs and will likely never own one in my lifetime, that's a product that makes sense to me, much like a traditional hybrid, for an urban dweller who only has one car.  And I can see electric in any form as one's urban commute vehicle when combined with a separate gasoline (or hybrid) powered traditional car. 

Now as for to this $50-$100K+ price tag issue...... not ever happening for me.

Agree on both of your paragraphs, glow!

What I'd like to see is the Santa Fe PHEV that supposedly is coming out soon to get great reviews ... and for it to price at under 40K ... and for it to be eligible for a sizable tax credit ... and for my trade-in (or private sale, if that's what I decide to do) to still be worth too damn much. If all that happens when I'm ready to buy, it's definitely a possibility.

But there is no way I'm spending more on my next car than I did on my first house. It would be one thing if I had to ... but I don't. There are lots of very nice vehicles available for waaaay under $40K.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2021, 08:17:33 AM »
Out of curiosity, what's the effect on the electric bill?  Is it still a major savings versus gas?

My wife and I considered but not yet mostly due to take.  Driving back and forth to Cincinnati several times per year.  Driving to Myrtle Beach and Florida for vacation.  Adding in Burlington VT a couple times a year now too.

In Indianapolis, our neighbor drives her model Y daily about 30 miles. Fills up every night. Cost is $6/month

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2021, 08:25:03 AM »
In Indianapolis, our neighbor drives her model Y daily about 30 miles. Fills up every night. Cost is $6/month

My daughter/SIL's use of their Model X is similar.